• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Matchup Thread #33: Wario

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher

MATCHUP 33 WARIO

In this thread, post any contribution you have regarding the Waro matchup.

Keep these in mind when posting:
- What do we have against him?
- What to watch out for?
- Certain do's & don'ts
- Stage advantages and disadvantages.
- Any additional information or data necessary.

BluB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Crazy_Arni
- When wario's jumping around try to do bair walls and try to predict where he's gonna land.
- punish landings with illusion cancels, dash attack or grabs.
- utilt is pretty good when wario's trying to dair you from above.
- when playing super campy warios just laser all day and wait for wario to make a mistake
- use spaced ftilts on shield
- if we grab wario at the edge so his feet are not touching the ground we have a guaranteed air release to anything.

- definetly watch out for warios chain grab. It starts around 52% and goes till about 120%
- don't throw out smashes when wario is at kill percent. Patiently wait for an opening.
- watch out for warios fart. Fart with most kill power starts at about 1 minute and ist strongest at 1:48. After that the fart will be full charged and will deal a lot of percent but has less kill power.
- you should pick neutrals against wario

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
If you grab a Wario at Kill damage, which is around 140% and above.
And there aren't any platforms above you, don't pummel, if he accidentally mashed Jump while you grabbed him, he will Automatically Air release, and you get a free kill. It's Conditional, but, it works.

When he Bikes toward you, Power Shield it and Grab, Dair, Bair, Nair, Usmash Oos him.

Make sure to Ban Brinstar when it's Legal.
It's his best stage, apparently.

But yeah, BluB summed it up.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Anybody know if we can grab release CG wario? If we get him to the edge during our CG, then I would just continue to air release CG until kill percents :D. Also second Poke's warning about Brinstar. Wario will camp his *** off on that stage. Just watch any old DMG match on that stage.

M@v

Subarashii!
Best option when you grab release wario over the edge is a dair. Will kill him if hes at a decent percent. Sometimes if you do it out of the cg, you can double spike him for the kill by predicting when he's going to jump off his bike. He has a few frames when he jumps off the bike where he can't do anything at all. So if you predict it right, free dair, and free kill.

I'd be willing to answer any questions about this matchup. I'm probably one of the most experienced falcos in this mu. So many damn warios in the Midwest lol.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Best option when you grab release wario over the edge is a dair. Will kill him if hes at a decent percent. Sometimes if you do it out of the cg, you can double spike him for the kill by predicting when he's going to jump off his bike. He has a few frames when he jumps off the bike where he can't do anything at all. So if you predict it right, free dair, and free kill.

I'd be willing to answer any questions about this matchup. I'm probably one of the most experienced falcos in this mu. So many damn warios in the Midwest lol.
Canadian Wario's can SDi.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
In this MU watch very carefully when you use phantasm. Warios are looking to punish you hard with fsmash fart when you land on stage. If you get read going to a platform they will up air you. The smarter you side b in this MU the longer you will live.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
In this MU watch very carefully when you use phantasm. Warios are looking to punish you hard with fsmash fart when you land on stage. If you get read going to a platform they will up air you. The smarter you side b in this MU the longer you will live.
With that SSGuy practice I know you can do better. ;)

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
With that SSGuy practice I know you can do better. ;)
Yeah i can i am actually very skilled at this mu.

I think that stages with platforms are good vs wario. Look to take wario to BF get underthe platform and force him to approach. Use nair its amazing in this mu.

Staying under platforms makes this MU so much less frustrating. Wario is going to be coming at you from the air. staying under the platform cuts his options down and gives you advantage.

if you manage to grab wario on a slope while his feet are danging you will get a free follow up. I usually Fsmash him but at lower %s i will dair him back into the stage and look for a follow up.

I hate smashville in this MU that platform gives wario everything he needs to play gay as hell. I think that FD is the most neutral stage in the MU and BF is good for us. if you camp under the platforms on lylat that stage can be good for us also just mind the slant in relation to your moves. Yoshis island warios dont like this stage. The Huge middle platform gives us all we need to zone him out.

here are some vids of me vs a Gindler he is an average wario. you will be able to see how i punish his hits on shield Oos and what jab over the edge can do.
Viper :falco:Vs Gindler :wario: feb 2012

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Yeah i can i am actually very skilled at this mu.

I think that stages with platforms are good vs wario. Look to take wario to BF get underthe platform and force him to approach. Use nair its amazing in this mu.

Staying under platforms makes this MU so much less frustrating. Wario is going to be coming at you from the air. staying under the platform cuts his options down and gives you advantage.

if you manage to grab wario on a slope while his feet are danging you will get a free follow up. I usually Fsmash him but at lower %s i will dair him back into the stage and look for a follow up.

I hate smashville in this MU that platform gives wario everything he needs to play gay as hell. I think that FD is the most neutral stage in the MU and BF is good for us. if you camp under the platforms on lylat that stage can be good for us also just mind the slant in relation to your moves. Yoshis island warios dont like this stage. The Huge middle platform gives us all we need to zone him out.

here are some vids of me vs a Gindler he is an average wario. you will be able to see how i punish his hits on shield Oos and what jab over the edge can do.
Viper :falco:Vs Gindler :wario: feb 2012
And I think you're completely and utterly insane.

Reflex blows me up on BF, but I do much better on SV. If he ever gets you in the air, you're toast and there's not enough range to really work your horizontal game where you can successfully challenge him. The platforms also give him a way out of any pressure you may be able to give his landing.

I'll see if I can actually get him to post in here, but in the mean time, here's a GF video for your viewing pleasure.

Kismet :falco: vs. Reflex :Wario: GF1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVlPdmVAVLo

Kismet :falco: vs. Reflex :Wario: GF2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvCunY1PIz0

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
We can't really do anything reliable to a Falco camping well on Battlefield. Wario is forced to take risks, since he can't pressure in any safe/reliable way. The platforms help keep Wario out, and that's what Falco wants. Giving Wario the opportunity to potentially come in from above gives him more options, however unreliable, which makes the fight riskier in general.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Reflex, is u-throw>uair an actual combo at low % or just a really good frame trap, because it seems to land a lot.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Reflex, is u-throw>uair an actual combo at low % or just a really good frame trap, because it seems to land a lot.
On a small stage, it's just a really useful thing to do. Aggressive Falco players try to D-Air, which can be beaten by a well-timed U-Air or an empty shorthop -> F-Smash/grab. A scared Falco will either immediately jump (probably the safest option or fastfall airdodge immediately afterward.

Jumping puts Falco out of harm's way, but he's also in the air without a jump, so unless the stage is large enough to support Phantasm, Wario can still pressure the landing. Airdodge can avoid the U-Air, but can get F-Smashed or grabbed again, and if you avoid Wario's U-Air, Wario's still safe.

Basically, it's rock-paper-scissors with the risk/reward heavily skewed in Wario's favor all over.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
And I think you're completely and utterly insane.
I am not insane at all. Reflex pretty much confirms what i said.

We can't really do anything reliable to a Falco camping well on Battlefield. Wario is forced to take risks, since he can't pressure in any safe/reliable way. The platforms help keep Wario out, and that's what Falco wants. Giving Wario the opportunity to potentially come in from above gives him more options, however unreliable, which makes the fight riskier in general.
I agree.

Pelca

Smash Journeyman
I've beaten malcom a couple times, just hit buttons :], I like the B one and the A one. Sometimes I even get a little frisky and hit jump!

Rubio24

Smash Rookie
i played a wario who all he did was jump and stay in the air and wait for me to aproach so the best option is out camping wario then ???

Top Bottom