• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Matchup Thread 30 - Pikachu

Well, one thing that has always bothered me about this CG is exactly where are the safe zones at getting grabbed? Two reasons why the CG works in the first place is decay prevents falco from being able to DI and he gets put in just enough of a frame disadvantage to prevent him from doing something to escape.

So I decided to take some time and look at areas when Falco could DI as an indicator for when he could escape regrabs. If he can somehow get out earlier between regrabs without DI, I am not sure. Thus, I'm judging this completely on when Falco can DI.

Once Falco breaks over 100%-104% (after dthrow damage) he can DI again. A fresh Dthrow can be DI'd earliest at 52% (before dthrow damage). Anything earlier will grant Pikachu a regrab. However, between 41% and 51%, the chain grab is cut short. As in PIkachu cannot CG falco to nearly 100%. He is granted more regrabs at 41% and less at 51%. Anything between 0%-40% amounts to a full CG.

(There percents are before applying dthrow damage)
0%-40%: Fthrow and dthrow can be used to CG falco to over 100% before he can DI
41%-51%: Dthrow can CG falco anywhere between ~60% to ~90% before he can DI
52% and above: Falco can DI a fresh Dthrow and avoid any guaranteed regrab.

Only downside is that Dthrow puts Falco in a horrible position no matter the percent. And again, I am unsure with what method Falco might be able to get out of a CG earlier that does not involve DI.

Pikachu has follow-ups from the CG as either Utilt (reversed or not), Usmash, Nair, or Ftilt (up). Utilt and Usmash both hit Falco at or nearly at a 90 degree angle (straight up). Nair and angle Ftilt both launch falco at around 30 degrees. So having the control stick in either an Up and left or Up and right position will allow you to best DI all of these options pikachu has.

Other than avoiding the grab, the match-up is pretty even.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
honestly if it wasnt for the CG falco would prolly win this ish.

but atm I'd just put it as soft counter Imo. It's not 7:3 or something but a 6:4 seems very likely and reasonable.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
The D-Throw CG starts at 22%, if they try it before then, we can jump out, or if they make a mistake, always good to mash jump.

F-Throw CG -> D-Throw will ruin this option.
But if they're a few frames off we can jab them.

CG from 0 goes to 43% on Pikachu.

Reflecting Thunder Jolts works well if Pikachu is grounded when he does them, and he tries to follow up with something. Power Shield them if you don't want your reflector baited, or just Jab them too. It works really well.
If he knocks you off stage, and tries for a thunder, while you still have your jump, by all means, reflect that, actually, reflect it in General.

Try your best not to get grabbed. Play safe, and laser from a distance, not up close.

If he Multi hit Jabs us, we can Jab through it.
SDi the Dsmash Up and Tech the ground if needed.

Watch out for his Uair Strings/ Follow ups.
And if they start to Quac, I quote from a Pikachu main.
"Lambnadr: Just throw out a move with a big hit box and you'll hit Pikachu".

All for now.
Also, follow what Xeylode said about the throws.

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
This match up can be real easy or it can be very difficult.
The mu is based on patience and whom ever has the knowledge or the upper hand on the mu. I think this match up is easy because I know all of pikas tricks and mind games. Avoid the chain grab camp and out smart the other player. Also for this mu to work in your favor you need to be extremely calm and focused, do not get frustrated. Falco can out camp pika and we can reflect is special and down special:) We have a good 4-5 grabs then spike or Gatling combo. I think this can be even or in pikas favor all depends on the behavior, stage, knowledge, and whom ever is more patient.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
6 D-Throws from 0%.
Did no one read the CG Guide ?

And what you said, could be done about ALL Mu's.
Not just Pika.
You also have common mind games, which aren't all of them to be honest.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Other than avoiding the grab, the match-up is pretty even.
Pretty even my ***.

Outside of that, the MU would be reversed to 6-4 Falco easy. We beat Pika from long range as our camp is better and a reflected TJolt is a ***** and a half for Pika to get around. We beat Pika at mid range by applying pressure from tilts, lasers, and aerials. We beat Pika at short range because our jab and grab shut his options out pretty damn well.

Outside of the CG info already provided, the biggest thing to learn is how to react to QAC (learn when it's coming and how it operates) and DI AWAY FROM ****ING THUNDER!

If you don't have to momentum cancel off your botched DI and you think a thunder is coming, then don't. Save your ability to air dodge and live a little.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
always good to mash jump.
I'm pretty confident I saw a set at Apex where esam noticed someone was doing this and he waited for the jump and naired them for the gimp LOL. w/ falcos recovery at high percents torwards the end of the cg idk if I would even risk it, beginning or mid definitely

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
We never have input from other boards anymore.

Pika doesn't have to try that much. We have the tools to push him back, but CG doesn't even bother him much. Though if you do get the percent lead by getting the CG, don't bother following up in case if you do something stupid and get grabbed at 0. Go immediately to the ledge, hold the A button, slip your shoes off, fasten your seatbelt, and enjoy the 8 minute ride of your life time.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
That's a pretty interesting mechanic of d-throw against the ledge, never knew that.

On another note, Falco's need to use more reverse boost grabs near ledge to extend CG. Everybody thought it was cool in 2008 and now only a select few still use it. What happened?

Blondie.

Smash Journeyman
So I don't know if this technique is really viable or not, but I suggest taking pikachu to smashville and just platform camping. Because of the moving platform, pikas cg doesn't work, and it's harder for him to get the grab anyway while your on the platform. Something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J35yERLIyc&t=0m30s

So anyway, you just sit up there hitting pika every now and then while getting a tiny bit of damage on him until you hit 52% and are out of cg range. Then you can go and fight him and have much less damage than you would if he got the cg>usmash on you. The problem comes when, if you win on that stage, where do you take him next. I would say generally just go for any stage with platforms. Maybe ps1 would be a good stage since it transforms. I would actually suggest just begging to go back to sv lol! But no matter what stage you are on, it would be a good idea to just purposefully eat some damage while avoiding the grab until you hit 52%.

Another tip is, since you know the pika is gonna be looking for a grab, take advantage of that. They will probably be very predictable because they will be so grab happy (who wouldn't be, it's a free 100%). Trick them up with something such as, when they shoot a thunderbolt at you, they will probably run up to you to grab you if you shield or get hit by the bolt, so instead, phantasm through the thunderbolt when it gets in you invincibility range and then you'll hit them as they are running to you. Another example would be, considering your in the air above them and they are on the ground, they will probably try to shield an aerial attack and then go for a grab. Take advantage of this by purposefully hitting their shield with a bair, but landing behind them. I bet they'll still grab since they are so anxious for the cg, and then do a dsmash to punish. These are all just examples, but the point is to take advantage of their obvious approaches and grabs.

M@v

Subarashii!
Keep in mind that minus the CG, falco probably wins this mu. The only reason this is bad for us is because of pika's cg. In addition, we can CG him back for ~60 assuming your good with your followups.

So your looking at about a 60% deficit if both players land cgs on a stock.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Is the footstool to get out of his downthrow something that happens as a result of Pikachu not correctly timing the grab? One of my friends that I play with every week has been starting to use the character and I've gotten out of the grab many times that way.

It could also be that he's starting it at the wrong %'s but Idk...

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Is the footstool to get out of his downthrow something that happens as a result of Pikachu not correctly timing the grab? One of my friends that I play with every week has been starting to use the character and I've gotten out of the grab many times that way.

It could also be that he's starting it at the wrong %'s but Idk...
If he mistimes it, or if he tries to do it when the percents are wrong, you'll footstool him. It's because he either mistimes it or the grab is too fresh and you get too far away for his T-Rex arms to reach you, but not too far for his head to be out of footstool range. Keep mashing jump though, it's the best way to get out if he ****s up, just know when to DI the USmash/UTilt if he doesn't mess up.

ensane

Smash Apprentice
Why does everyone always obsess about the CG. It's a huge part of the MU, but not all of it. No one is concerned about Pika's followups from a dtilt trip. Maybe how to mixup your DI when in his combos? What do you do against a Pika with percentage/stock lead that is fine just ducking/crawling lasers?

I may not be an expert, but this discussion is way to focused on the CG's.

ensane

Smash Apprentice
If you're at high percents it makes more sense to dash > usmash. But even on missed techs it's important to mix up your wake ups. Obviously rolling away is a free usmash for Pika.

:phone:

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
We shouldn't be getting hit with dtilt > upsmash at high percent anyway....

like really. We can always tech forward to mess with your traction/timing.

#theorycrafting

ensane

Smash Apprentice
MU discussion in general is theorycrafting.

And that's why I mentioned it. It's something a lot of Falco's don't seem to do.

Ah, forgot to mention, but I don't see how platform camping on Smashville is really that helpful. Sure, you avoid the CG, but you don't do any damage either. Pika can just wait and shark with uairs.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
MU discussion in general is theorycrafting.

And that's why I mentioned it. It's something a lot of Falco's don't seem to do.

Ah, forgot to mention, but I don't see how platform camping on Smashville is really that helpful. Sure, you avoid the CG, but you don't do any damage either. Pika can just wait and shark with uairs.
The same reason you camp platforms against ICs as half the cast. There is potential for mistakes on the part of the aggressor. You can always leave your position on the platform in reaction to what the opponent is doing and choose to stay down there or regain your position on the platform when you decide to stop chilling on the floor.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Actually, at a Tournament I was at ( Revival of Salt ), in my Pool, a Metaknight went Pikachu and took me to Battlefield, all I did was platform camp and take thunder jolts and once I reached 52%, I was home safe.

And yes, they tried to shark with Uairs.
But, we can Dair Pika before it happens.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Here is my MU Wright up on Pikachu. Feel free to pick it apart or concur. Its all for the advancement of our Meta game

Your ban and counterpick will depend heavily on your ruleset. Under the Unity Ruleset I would ban Rainbow Cruise unless you feel very comfortable on that stage. Rainbow Cruise gives you everything you need on it to stay away and play safe. You just need to be very careful where you position Falco on that stage. You don’t have to worry about Brinstar because Pikachu hates that stage as much as we do. If you are playing under the Apex Ruleset or any that has RC and BS banned you need to ban Yoshi’s Island. That stage, as you already know, is a very hindering stage for Falco. As for Pikachu on that stage, you would think that the platform is what you will be using to avoid the chaingrab until safe percents but what will happen is you will have the thunderjolts constantly coming around the thing. Also, the platform is big enough for Pikachu to come up there, get a read and land the chaingrab. Honestly you might just want to ban that on every stage list. Play it yourself and feel it out. You will most likely get cp to Lylat Cruse if you ban Yoshi’s Island. I feel like Lylat Cruise is a much better stage in the matchup. It has some of the same hindrances as Yoshi’s Island but the platforms are better placed to help your recovery.

Regardless, your counterpick depends on what stage you feel comfortable on. Honestly, Final Destination is an amazing stage for Falco in this matchup. You have all the space you need to camp and zone. You should abuse phantasm on this stage. Use it to do everything from rack damage to resetting the situation. The big problem with Final Destination is that our options to recover and mix up how we get back to the stage are much more limited than a stage like Battlefield. That would be the other stage I would take Pikachu to. This stage offers you three platforms that you can abuse when camping until safe percents and it will help you mix up your recovery.

On a stage like Battlefield or Lylat Cruise, you can use the platforms to catch Pikachu over-persuing you. I like to call this “reverse sharking”. You drop down when they over-persue and then you have them on the platform. You can begin pressuring Pikachu with Falco’s good platform pressure. This also will have Pikachu trying to get back down to the floor. You should continue to pressure Pikachu knowing that he wants to land. Once he is back on the floor, get back on a platform and repeat till you are at 50%.

While on the platforms, look to bait Pikachu into your shield. You can OOS up smash a poorly spaced uair or fair. You can use nair to punish poorly spaced moves that up smash can’t cover. Look to bait Pikachu’s aerials with jumps in order to get dair punishes. If you get a dair punish, make a careful advance because you will have the advantage. Along with reverse sharking, mix up your baits and get some damage in on Pikachu while you camp.

The only damage you should take is from thunderjolts when it’s not a trap or when the damage will put you at 50% or above. Pikachu knows you will take thunderjolts to get out of chaingrab percents so you need to be very careful about how you take the damage. If you are on a platform, eat it. If you are on the floor, analyze Pikachu’s position and make your decision. You can always jab the thunderjolt so you don’t even have to shield it.

Once you have gotten past chaingrab percents, you can begin to play more of a traditional Falco style. At this part of the MU, some would say it’s in Falco’s favor, but in reality, it’s dead even. Pikachu has the tools to edgeguard and zone Falco very well. You will see Pikachu zoning with thunderjolt. Here is a nice tip: our nair beats thunderjolt and then continues on to hit pikachu. So if you notice a pattern in the way the Pikachu zones with thunderjolt, use nair to punish it.

Abuse jab in this matchup. Use the jab cancels to get nice mix ups and use jab like you normally would. It’s such a great tool. Use it to cancel thunderjolts and space.

When you are looking for the kill on Pikachu your best bet is to rack damage till you see that laser to Dacus combo or until you hit nair to up tilt. This matchup becomes so much less stressful if Falco gets the first stock. You should be playing that first stock as if it’s just as important as your last one. Take only safe damage, use jab and dthrow as set ups to follow ups. Space ftilt safely and just play Falco.

When you get put off stage, this is where Pikachu thrives. Pikachu has the speed and the move set to punish Falco on his recovery. You need to always be aware of Pikachu’s position on the stage. This is normally a dead giveaway as to what Pikachu is looking for in your recovery. Just have patience while recovering. If Pikachu is near the ledge and then begins to run away, he wants a fsmash, so just take the ledge. Just play the Falco recovery games. Pikachu is looking to punish with fsmash, dsmash, nair, or thunder.

When you get popped up and Pikachu is looking for that thunder kill at the top of the stage, here is a protip I learned from M2K: when Pikachu goes for the thunder, it’s usually not guaranteed. You can react to Pikachu and if you do, avoiding it will be much easier. So just dodge thunder on reaction to what Pikachu is doing.

Something you should note from my videos is that I would play game one poorly. I would get flustered and lose my composure. Don’t do this; treat Pikachu with respect. If you get caught, don’t lose your composure. Do like DEFH says: when you are winning, camp, when you are losing, camp, and when you are camping, camp harder. Don’t make the matchup any easier for Pikachu than it already is. That is what I am trying to say.

Here are some videos you can reference of top Falcos playing top Pikachus:
Sk92 vs Z http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs-HUVTcd04 In game 1, SK92 plays with his aggressive style and gets *****. Watch this video along with my game 1 with Ipresea and game 1 with Pikapika to see how not to play. In game 4 in this set, SK92 changes his style to a much more traditional Falco style and wins a close match.

DEHF vs Kprime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGFdTaPAQvs This is game 2; DEHF won game 1. DEHF plays the match on Final Destination well. Watch this video to get a grasp on how to use Final Destination against Pikachu and wreck. DEHF is the most amazing Falco I have ever watched.

Myself Vs Ipresia~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTEysN0GWc0 This game is on Lylat Cruise. You can see in this game many examples of me losing my composure, staying true to Falco’s campy play style, camping like DEHF says, being safe and looking for follow ups from jab and dthrow. This game might be the epitome of what this matchup is.

Overall, there is a lot to this matchup because it’s such a hard one to play. Falco has the tools to win every matchup in this game. Is this matchup a ******? Fu*ck yeah it is. Can Falco win it? You’re damn right he can. Just play safe and smart.
-----

My Recent Vids Vs Pikachu

Viper :falco: Vs The Pikachu Boards.

Viper Vs Pheonix Lord :pikachu2: (1) (2)
Viper Vs Ipresa :pikachu2:(1)(2) (3)
Viper Vs PikaPika! :pikachu2: (1) (2) (3)

Cassio

Smash Master
My goodness, your post saved this thread. I used to play regularly vs larry so this is a MU Ive been familiar with. Amazing write-up, I agree with pretty much everything.

Cassio

Smash Master
Everything looks right from a Falco perspective, which was useful for me too.

The only thing Im unsure about are counterpicks. Props to nailing FD, yoshis and the janky stages. Its hard for me to rank BF/SV/Lylat/PS1/CS though. I feel BF is pikas best neutral so it may be personal bias that Id like it for pika (though larry thinks its falcos best too), and I can understand the reasoning for lylat being a pika CP but Ive also thought it a poorer stage for pika as well and not one I would pick personally.

Top Bottom