• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Matchup Thread #29: Lucario

-Cross-

Smash Ace
I dunno anything about this MU. I played one average Lucario in pools, but I won, because I was just a better player aka outside of CG%, I had no idea what I was doing but he was still getting hit somehow. My impression is that against a good Lucario, Falco may have trouble, because he lacks any solid KO setups outside of reading d-throw DI. And we all know what Lucario at high %'s means.

I forgot about this. Well, despite what some of us might know of aura already, we should still list it in detail.

Damage and knockback scale with the more percentage Lucario takes. This affects hit-stun and shield-stun and pushing the shield further as well. There is also increased priority for moves without transcendent priority. Lucario will have the lowest multiplier at 0-20%, it will increase with more percent taken until 170%. At this point, Lucario has his highest multiplier. There is a stock factor is at work too. If Lucario is behind in stocks, he gets a slight multiplier above 1. If he is ahead in stocks he gets a multiplier of less than 1. No stock difference stocks gives a multiplier of 1.

-Lucario has low percent shenanigans against Falco at really any level of his aura multipliers. Still have not worked out the best way to react to some of it.
-He has throws which will scale with aura and others which will not.
-His UpB can go into clinging onto walls and the UpB does no damage. Smashville has no wall with which to cling or to wall-jump from. This makes SV a very good neutral against Lucario. You can force him on stage by simply doing nothing more than grab the ledge. Same story with stages like Halberd and Delfino.

2 regrabs from dthrow at 0%. Must be walked. Death to an Usmash when taken at 132% on FD/SV/BF and given best DI/momentum cancel possible.

Overview
Lucario is a slow character overall. He moves slow in the air. His moves last a long time in the air. Most of his other moves are slow in terms of duration. Camp his butt. Space your pokes. Don't be overly hasty or completely aggro. It can be easy to fall into baits when you keep up an offensive you already lost. He can keep Falco pinned down at the ledge or in the air well. Be wary of his Dair. There is a lot of stuff Lucario can do with that move. It makes a good OoS move when he is on a platform since it will hit below the platform. It can also use it to get out of Jab1, Jab2, and AAA.

Getting the first stock will put you at a pretty good advantage because Lucario loses his killing power until he gets up his percentages. At this point, you are building up a pretty size-able percentage lead as he figures a way to kill you. Bair is pretty good move to use in this match-up as a finisher. Lucarios slow mobility in the air makes him easy to follow and space around. Again, forcing him on stage with UpB lag is a good way to try to look for a kill.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
I played Lucario as a secondary for a little while and sometimes played against my friends Falco.

Falco outcamps Lucario because Aura Sphere is easy to powershield and laser is just a better option. Lucario can be juggled really easily once you get in the air so Falco's aerials can come in handy.

If not DI'ed correctly Lucario can hit multiple times in a row with uptilt, but thats relevant to player skill. Also, when I played Lucario, I liked to use dair to space in the air. It doesn't spike but it can be a useful aerial.

As Falco, its better to be away from Lucario or juggling him in the air. Also if Falco takes the first stock, slow down the pace of the match a lot and just camp hard. Hopefully that'll help some of you guys out that do have to play this MU.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Lucario definitely cannot be juggled easily. The hitbox of his dair pretty much denies any attempts to attack him from below, so uair is not a good idea most of the time. And even when you got at him from the side with bair, his dair might still catch you for at least one hit and screw you up. Combine that with good use of his aura sphere b-reversal, and it's not an easy task to juggle Lucario at all.

Also a note about camping, on paper Falco definitely has the advantage. However, when you compare % done, Falco needs a lot more lasers to hit to equal the damage of one fully charged aura sphere (which is dependent on his % as well). Of course when Lucario is at 0%, his fully charged sphere isn't that big of a concern, but once he gets to high %, one good read and you'll get blown away. Point is, you can't just auto-pilot camp him with SHDL especially at high %'s, because if he reads a jump or gets the timing of your SHDL's then he can just shoot an aerial aura sphere prematurely, and you'll end up jumping into one.

Also given Lucario's pitiful grab range and generally slow start up on most his close range moves, I would argue that once you get an advantage you want to stick to Lucario, and try and force him offstage. Although, I'm not quite sure of Falco's offensive potential, because I'm still stuck at the phase where I camp a little too much and don't really know how to approach my opponent, jabs/ftilt, and his aerials mixed in with some SHL seem to be solid pressure tools against a character that has a small grab range and slow jab. Although you should be wary of spacing in the air, because his aerials are solid too. So my opinion on camping is don't camp too much especially if you aren't getting any followups, because fully staled lasers do pathetic damage and don't lead into followups very well, and you're just making him stronger with minimal reward. It's still a very good option if you have no idea what to do.

Lucario's roll is very good, because of it's quickness, so a question I have is. What's Falco's best tools for punishing it? Are Falco's punishment options quick enough to be reaction based punishments or do you need to read Lucario's roll?

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
From what I know, is, just bait his rolls/ spot dodges with empty jumps or crouches.

When he's above you and he Dairs your sheild, Nair/ Bair Oos works.
Though spacing a Bair outside his Dair range isn't difficult, so approach from the side or above, never directly below when he's above you.

Laser camping is really effective in this Mu because he has slow approach options, and you should never be lasering close enough, or just lasering randomly where you can't reflect on reaction.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
learn to approach Safely for this matchup even if you decide to camp it in tournament, that way you arent stuck at 0 and he's at 130% last stock and you cant kill him... then you eventually **** up and he kills you in like 2 hits LOOOL

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
in theory you shouldn't be able to cg lucario at all.

grab resets

kill by spiking out of extreme speed.

i wont be looking at this again, so if im wrong so be it.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
^Ummm what? What do you mean in theory you can't cg Lucario? It's been proven that you can at least get 2 grabs starting from 0%. Unless you mean in theory Lucario shouldn't get grabbed, which is almost as pointless a contribution as saying "Don't get hit." I'm just not going to comment on the rest of your post, it's so pointless, because you provide no explanations and don't even cover the important parts of the MU.

I found Orion's post more helpful than yours. Although my question to Orion would be, (or anyone really) how do you approach safely with Falco? For Falco is approaching, mainly shooting a SHL in short/mid range and doing a followup, or is it like Marth style where you try and beat them with superior range on aerials? Although Falco's bair seems to be the only aerial with good horizontal range., and I feel that aura hitboxes on Lucario's aerials beat it.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
I found Orion's post more helpful than yours. Although my question to Orion would be, (or anyone really) how do you approach safely with Falco? For Falco is approaching, mainly shooting a SHL in short/mid range and doing a followup, or is it like Marth style where you try and beat them with superior range on aerials? Although Falco's bair seems to be the only aerial with good horizontal range., and I feel that aura hitboxes on Lucario's aerials beat it.
well the mid range shl isn't really an approach however it does apply pressure and reduces your opponents options. i definitely could have been more specific though, it's not really direct approaches but moreso zoning/footsies instead of just running away.

there's a range where you're just outside of what lucario can hit you with and what you can react to. (around the tipper range of hit fsmash, he can't rush in and shfair from that distance either without being obvious if you aren't committing to anything)

if you're shling from there and waiting you're right in lucarios roll space so rolling in is actually quite punishable on reaction from there with a little practice. if you stay safe and don't jump in he won't be able to hit you with anything game changing either, none of his solid kill moves are good/fast footsie tools (fsmash/aurasphere maybe high % utilt).

lucarios ftilt is actually positive on block at really high percents so that's imo one of their best footsie tools, so learning to bait that get in punishes (it's unlikely you will get to punish with usmash though don't get greedy unless you are confident enough to spot dodge it).

walking shield, anticipating movements and jabbing are really the best things you can do. if you have a smart read go for a dash attack/usmash/bair read but honestly i'm just trying to stick to what's safe on paper.

at this range it puts pressure on lucario to commit, and he can't really play his game. even if you dont get a usmash you can force him into situations where you can get grabs which will lead to potential bair kills.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Thanks for the post Orion, broke down a major part of the MU very well. I wasn't aware that you played much Falco though, is this just your perspective as an MK player or something else?

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Lulu loves his dair. If he dairs your shield you can punish with Oos bair or nair depending on what part of your shield . You might even be able to Oos Up smash if lulu is in the right spot.

Dont miss your punishes on lulu. You can use your shield to baid diar and at high % Oos bair will kill him. Its a great kill option.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Thanks for the post Orion, broke down a major part of the MU very well. I wasn't aware that you played much Falco though, is this just your perspective as an MK player or something else?
Falco was my main before MK, and I still avidly keep up with his new metagame // techskill. I don't usually need him for any specific MU's in tournament unless I think someone is bad vs Falco though (unlikely in my current region amongst the good players).

I still don't know if w/ the MK ban if I would go back to him. Honestly with more ICs running around it doesn't particularly look fun... He also sucks in teams. The fact that he loses to marth is really unappealing to because i mostly just get ***** by mr.r all the time anyway :glare:.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Falco was my main before MK, and I still avidly keep up with his new metagame // techskill. I don't usually need him for any specific MU's in tournament unless I think someone is bad vs Falco though (unlikely in my current region amongst the good players).

I still don't know if w/ the MK ban if I would go back to him. Honestly with more ICs running around it doesn't particularly look fun... He also sucks in teams. The fact that he loses to marth is really unappealing to because i mostly just get ***** by mr.r all the time anyway :glare:.
Ah I see. I hope you don't mind if I ask you for advice here and there. Advice from a top player is always appreciated.

Also the Marth MU. It seems that people view the MU as mostly even. Aside from the 0-death or 0-50% CG that he has on us what else does he have that you would consider it a bad MU. Is his sword that troublesome to deal with? Given his long shield dash range and a bit floaty air mobility, it seems simple to get free hits off initial dashes and punish easily in situations when you force him to double jump. So, it looks like you can play a reliable keep away game, or is that not the problem? Also Gluttony seemed to do alright against Leon a year ago :troll:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
0-death? What? Who? When? D:

And I don't think Falco is bad on teams...
Jab and lasers can create amazing setups for his teammate though he sucks terrible against 2 opponents.
If 2 random noobs from Finland can do dumb stuff like this, then you guys should **** with it :awesome:

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
0 -> 35% -> Tipper Fsmash.
Not 50% CG. I like being literally.

And the 0 - Death is.. F-Throw -> Dair.
Then ledge hog.
SDi the Dair.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
You make SDI'ing Marth's dair sound so easy, but I have almost never seen any of the top Falco's vs Marth actually SDI it into the stage before. For some reason it's either a lot harder to SDI than say Falco's dair which plenty of people seem to be able to do or it is impossible to SDI like Marth's F-smash.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
And I don't think Falco is bad on teams...
Jab and lasers can create amazing setups for his teammate though he sucks terrible against 2 opponents.
If 2 random noobs from Finland can do dumb stuff like this, then you guys should **** with it :awesome:
like. mario can do that to. what's your point
falco was no made for teams.

/not heavy
/can't kill
/mediocre *** approach, so damage wracking won't happen as often as it should
/CG isn't as good
/has less room to runaway -> leading to more fights in ranges than falco doesnt want to be in
^leads to falco being offstage more
.....which probably leads to him dying.

There is best teammate, average teammate, and worst possible team mate imaginable. Falco fits into that range of average-bad category. Despite him not giving the best of anything, he hardly gives the worst of it either.

Falco's close game is good enough. Fast dash. Long and quick jab. Ftilt which is safe as a poke move. Best spotdodge. Options out of shield with Bair/Dair. Grab is one of the fastest too. A quick get into position kill move with Dacus. He has a good enough ground game and enough mix-ups with it to hold his own in close quarters.

His throws are useful in teams too. Bthrow and fthrow are both good at making temporary walls against the opposing teammate that might try rushing in on you. If you have the space, he can get a CG going if not, the limited space in teams still allows Falco to follow-up well with dthrow. Since its doubles, getting a kill can actually be easier for falco by getting surprise or bad situation kills on the opponent.

The only thing that truly sucks is that recovery. The moment he gets tag teamed, he is as good as dead.

We are quite off topic now :) The only thing I can add to the Lucario match-up is that staying at that Lucario roll distance is a good distance to stay at.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'll add some personal info and things I know happen in the MU, so this isn't just me vs Arty and such or something else.

Kind of a bump but I think it's better for this one since I know this MU kinda well.

~

Mindset of don't approach is the correct one. Make sure you get down silent lasers so Lucario can't crouch or crawl under that and has to play shield games with you.

Laser is defiantly good, duh, a lot of it though is learning the spacing of what you do next though. At certain spacings, if you try to side B through Lucario as a get away, he could roll backwards to avoid the activate hit and punish at the other side. Same for a couple area where he can Utilt and Dtilt Falco out of Phantasm. It's just learning the spacing of where and when Side B is safe to use. Lucario is a bit better off with the CG since it really isn't too bad compared to other characters. It shouldn't work kinda, but for now 3 Dthrow to Dair is fine at 0%.

Jab is also a good move to use. Same reason Ike is kinda harder than most characters around him a frame 2 move with that range outspeeds Lucario on the ground for all his option. This is good but there is something to note.

Depending on how you follow up after Jab 1 or even Jab 2, Lucario can Force Palm, side B, you out of it.

Since Force Palm is considered a special move if he does it within 8 frames of landing he can initiate the move on frame 1. So if you try to do Jab1 > grab, he can Force Palm out of it. Just learn to mix up how you follow this up so he can't do it off every jab and make him play guessing games since Force Palms after lag is long. Just keep this in mind when your jabbing him. Don't do Jab 3 ever he'll just SDI up and footstool + dair.

Lucario most used move is going to be fair, it will be. All of his cross ups will usually start up with this move. Falco's bair will eat threw that every time if he commits to it too much, still be careful since Lucario is better in the air and at juggling that vice verse. So with fair if he hits your shield while rising he has these options to mix up, that are viable. Uair, Fair, Bair, Dair, Nair, Force Palm, Grab, Aura Sphere, Jab, footstool. Depending on where he lands and how fast he can turn depends on what he does.

All the aerials are pretty easy to see as self explanatory, even the footstool. The grabs are kinda easy to see as well. Same for the jab comment I said before this applies here as well, Lucario might try to fair behind you to Force Palm or grab on landing, if he does grab correctly he will turn around immediately when he lands to do it. This is to cross up on shields. If you know he is trying to do this, Bair OoS. It will punish him everytime.

Aura Sphere isn't as easy to stuff out as it looks like on paper. While it is Lucario's best move, keep in mind having a reflector isn't going to solve it necessarily as easy as Fox or Wolf. Kicking it gives more surprise, it's not as easy to predict the reflect and even then to react to it when it's not always static with spacing. The down side is the lack of quick cooldown, which is what charging Aura Sphere might be a baiting tool for. Lucario might be baiting the reflector, so try and wait for him to use it if you can. The main times he will use it is on a read/mix-up or more often than not when your landing or recovering. It's easier for him to punish this way and avoid the problem that is your reflector. Otherwise just having the option is goo enough for Falco since it makes Lucario have to be wary of it and he can't abuse it on someone like Marth/Snake etc whom he can use without as much worry of retailiation.

Fsmash is something a lot of people whine about, it's not that good when you learn how to fight against it properly. If you learn the timing of it on the ground, it takes 21 frames to start -up even with the amazing cool-down thanks to Aura an other things, if you Power Shield it, it's really moot. When your grounded and he just throws it out there like that, just Power Shield then Grab/Dacus/Fsmash, etc. He should be trying it when you land, just be good with covering landing and recovering to avoid this hitting you.

Kinda related but while Falco has a great spot dodge and air dodge in a way, Lucario's hitboxes linger, that tend to make both those options not as great. Shield is better against him since he has more problems with that than someone using a spot dodge or air dodge. Don't go for juggles unless you are going to punish dair, Lucario's dair will stuff anything you do vertically, so go horizontally aka when he does run back then bair him. If your being juggled remember to DI and SDI away and not into him. Because if you DI into him, your giving him more string an combo potential. Going to the reverse, if Falco is trying to catch his landing, be mindful he can wave bounce with Aura Sphere and Air Dodge whenever he wants. So be patient and try and read where he is going to land, just don't stand right under him, but close to him.

Lucario has an amazing roll of course, but rolling into people is still bad if they read it. If he rolls backwards, just keep shooting lasers and make him come to you. If you think he is going to try and roll into you, turn around and Fsmash, Usmash, you can and will catch him with Falco if you react fast enough. If you get Lucario off stage, you can use Bair on him to edge guard and be careful or Aura Sphere/him turning himself around to use bair with a wavebounce. If he gets too far away to get back on without his UpB, hang on the ledge and wait, if he goes for the ledge thinking you will get off, he will die on most stages. If he tries to go right over you at stage height, jump and Dair spike him. If he goes high, punish his landing. If he goes at an appropriate height where is is safe from the approve, get on stage an Dacus or anything to punish him.

Note he can wallcling on certain stages even without his UpB, Yoshi's, FD, Frigate, PS1, etc. Remember where he can and if you know he is going for it, just Dair him/Footstool him. He will die after wards since he can't UpB again.

Aura, yeah it's gay and why this MU is easier for him. Falco has trouble killing a lot in this MU, be patient and don't force it. His damage per hit is strong but you have safer outlets to damage. Keep using these and avoid the situations where he can gain a huge hit. It can be frustrating at the end, but just don't force the situation and you'll be fine. Know what he can do and remember what you are threatened by in this situations.

Stages, Game 1, Don't let him have YI or Lylat, he does better on both those stages. Aim for BF or SV.

Game 2, take him to one of the above + Halberd, Halberd is Lucario's worst stage if not one of his worst.

FD isn't the best CP for Falco, Lucario actually gains a bit from it in this MU where platforms like BF are more preferable for helping Falco land and stop juggles, FD lets him live longer and helps him get more chances to punish landing and recoveries. I really think any of the above 3 are better.

Ban Frigate, it's the worst of anything he can take you to, just take my advice it's the worst stage for Falco in this MU.

In the end, I think this MU is even, 0 on the BBR chart, maybe a smidgen either way not sure but its even based on top level results and on paper theory. Lucario isn't super common but it's a MU that Falco can handle fine if he knows what he needs to do.

Just a lot of random info I think I know and personal experience but playing as Falco and Lucario, I've gone to Falco as a secondary sometimes.

I hope this helps a bit.

Pelca

Smash Journeyman
just remember that falco has bigger balls. I know it's hard to believe but in those space pants falco has some big cohones!

Top Bottom