• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Matchup 25: Toon Link

Schtizzel

Smash Cadet
Reflector is your best friend, in this matchup. Falco will destroy Tink in CQC, so he has to camp hard. Just get an opportunity to get in and get aggro (deal as much as damage as possible and retreat). Watch out for FSmash and DAir, it will kill you early.
Play safe at long distance (Reflector <3), and **** at CQC.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
SDi the first hit of F-Smash, you'll never be hit by the second hit.
If you do, you should Die from it until around 140- 150%, with Di of course.
Usmash kills us around.. 130%, though, with bad Di and its' disjoint, it can catch you at BattleField's Lower platform height, so, don't be surprised if you die at 120%. The back hit of it is weak, and kills around 170%.

And, up close, TLink gets beat out by Falco pretty quickly.
And from by far, camp him with Lasers, his bombs may stop them, but, that refreshes our moveset.
As well, as Schtizzel stated, our reflector does shut him down, not by much, but, pretty decently.

We can CG him at low damages. We get 6 Grabs on him from 0%, it can be walking.

Although TLink has an Issue at killing us, avoid taking him to big stages like Ps1/ Ps2/ Defino.
If he gets the lead, they can easily time us out.

I mained TLink for a bit.. 08' - 09'. And if you don't reflect our projectiles sparingly, Punishing Falco isn't difficult.

That's my input.

I'd put this at either 60:40 for us, or 55:45.

M@v

Subarashii!
I play this matchup super campy. Honestly I think Falco does better far away than close. But I'm all ears to input on this mu: I got a few toon links in my region and need to know this mu very well.

Zwei Striker

Smash Apprentice
So, staying far away and reflecting things is the worst thing to do, falco can't rack damage this way without the risk of getting hit, and even if you don't laser and just reflect things, you might get hit by a bomb sometime, so TL will rather this to CQC where we can take him down.
When in CQC, TL will try getting out by retreating nair,bair, shda, airdodge>hookshot or invincibombing. This are good enough tools to escape (mostly the airdodge>hookshot, since retreating it and well spaced it's safe on shield).
Hookshot leads to several things before around 90%, including dash grab and the first hit of fsmash.
He can bait your reflector and airdodge through it, then cancel the airdodge with hookshot and follow up.
Bombs lead into some stuff, too. One more thing is that, though it's pretty obvious, you should be aware of the returning boomerang, mostly when it goes out of the screen, because it's low knock back and considerable hitstun lead into many things (including an usmash for the kill at high%).
I'll write more later.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I've played one set against Hyro and he fed me my ***. That is the extent of my TLink experience.

Jet300

Smash Ace
Falco vs TL 55/45 Falco's favor
Shine can reflected TL's bombs, Arrows, and Bommerrang. TL's are good enough to escape with air dodge>Hookshot, reflecting TL's returning bommerrang can come back and hit you, but mostly it keeps going offscreen. TL's will counter pick you with Battle field, because TL can out zone you with the platforms.
Falco dose better in this MU when he zones, Lasers and shine will be your best friends in this MU. Recovring can be a problem, Falco has a preoble recovering against TL because of Zair Edge hoging. So you don't want to get off stage against this guy. Don't reflect every thing, U can just Jab Arrows and Bommerang

Correct me if i'm wrong

Zwei Striker

Smash Apprentice
TL can arrow you arrow us out of phantasm, which can really mess up our recovery.
Jabbing arrows and boomerang ain't efficient, since TL can always just airdodge> hookshot, which will go through jab (and reflector if you try to hit him with it... )The best option is to powershield, THEN jab.
You never want to be in the air with TL down, he will throw up a bomb to force an airdodge, which will be a stock by either usmash or uair at high%; or he will catch you with an utilt to reset, or even up-b, though that's pretty unusual and you can DI out. If you let the bomb hit you, he can uair you during the hitstun.
Also, when we are at kill %, TL can just draw a bomb, jump over us and throw the bomb down, which will lift us up in hitstun, which leads into uair/fair, which takes the stock; watch out for that situation.
Also, beware of that bair string (which we can dodge), and remember some TLs start it by utilting first.
Lots of TLs quickdraw out of everything they do (the no-so-good ones), so check out if he does, and punish by powershielding.
His bombs go through everything, so don't you try to jab them please.
Remember he can hookshot holding a bomb, don't be fooled.
If he is holding a bomb, he's really dangerous, he has a lot of options, including invincibombing, which is really nasty.

In the end, we must be really careful in this matchup or TL will rip us apart, but it's in our favor once we get in CQC. Also, if the TL ain't that smart camping you can counter-camp and force and approach, which makes the matchup easy. 55-45 falcos favor imo.

Zwei Striker

Smash Apprentice
Actually, I play this matchup often using TL, but never quite play it as falco, so yeah, I've never jabbed an arrow or a boomerang in my life, but I have ***** the falcos who do, so I'm talking from my personal experience and logic.

M@v

Subarashii!
You can Jab Arrows and Boomerang.

So you don't have to reflect every little thing and get punished for it.
Holy ****. This could of helped me so much in the past T_T

And pokemaster, KT is actually one of the toonlinks in my area.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
You can Jab Arrows and Boomerang.

So you don't have to reflect every little thing and get punished for it.
I'm so trying that next time I play Toon Link! This would have been helpful to know a long time ago...

As for me vs this MU, I haven't personally had good luck with CQC. Not to say it doesn't work, but that's gotten me in trouble a couple times. I can see where Falco might theoretically have the advantage there, but idk. I just need to play this MU more since nobody I know uses him as more than a secondary.

Twinster

Smash Cadet
Falco has the better CQC move set than TL. If you are losing there then you can always retreat and camp. Odds are though, that the TL knows what you are you going to do so mix it up. I can't say anything that has not already been said.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Just camp out the toon link. When he gets in your zone put on some damage. Eventually tl will be forced into situations that are more and more risky. The damage tl can take in an exchange with falco will be greater for tink then falco. Its a bore fest when i play it. I just go old school brawl camping and that gets it done.

Top Bottom