• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Matchup #19: ROB

M@v

Subarashii!
Lasers, Reflector, nair.

Your 3 best friends in this mu.

-Falco's camping destroys rob's.
-Learn to predict when rob will use gyro/lasers. If you do, you can always dodge them(or even better reflect them). If you reflect the gyro it turns against him and can be a real pain to him, especially if he tries to pick it up. You shut his long range game down completely.
-ROB is horrible at ding out of multi hit moves, so abuse nair. A lot.

Only time rob is a threat to you is when your recovering. Watch for him to try to intercept your phantasm with either nair or bair. Its easy to see both coming, especially nair, so phantasm cancelling is a huge help in getting back on stage.

I have an extremely good record vs rob. I'm undefeated in tournament against him, I only have a couple losses in mms(and they were only for 1 dollar). I just wish I had more Falco vs rob videos so I could show you guys :3.

Only time rob is a threat to you is when your recovering. Watch for him to try to intercept your phantasm with either nair or bair. Its easy to see both coming, especially nair, so phantasm cancelling is a huge help in getting back on stage.
Bair and Nair are good hitboxes, but they are hard to aim with and difficult to time. A laser and gyro are better at hitting falco given his horizontal recovery, and they will hit Falco out of it no matter what. Trying to avoid it by phantasming early still gives Rob enough time to punish you.

Save your 2nd jump.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Camp, camp, camp, camp, Bair.

Don't get ledgeguarded. Beware his Marth-like range and spacing. Learn to camp better than him. Be good at playing with items.

You really don't have to fight him, but even if you do, you're still in a pretty good place. Actual write-up coming when I have time.

6-4 Falco.

BluB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Crazy_Arni
Don't forget to double jab the **** out of rob. He gets wrecked by that.
I wouldn't advise to camp at all, imo it's better to pressure rob as much as possible with jabs, ftilt, dash attack, nair, dair mixups.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I feel completely comfortable and unthreatened as long as I'm not recovering. I play the MU a lot and I don't see where (as long as you're stage) he ever has the advantage unless you let him stay at full Ftilt/Fair range..

BluB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Crazy_Arni
I didn't say Rob has the advantage at long range. I just feel like Falco has an even bigger advantage when playing offensive at close range than camping ^^

-As far as I know, punishing rob for using his Bair with anything other than lasers is impossible.

-Shield will get rid of the gyro's when it has an active hitbox.

-I'm a bit curious about shield play vs Rob. Rob's jab, dtilt, and ftilt are further out than our grab range, so if you get stuck in shield vs either of these attacks, which can you punish (if at all?). I know Dsmash has just enough ending lag to drop shield and punish with a quick move, but Dtilt I am not sure about.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I didn't say Rob has the advantage at long range. I just feel like Falco has an even bigger advantage when playing offensive at close range than camping ^^
The punishment for a mistake also has the potential to hurt worse. Grab and suddenly you're offstage getting lasers shot at you or a DSmash and you're suddenly in the air above a platform. FTilt and he's looking to follow you up with Fair. If you **** up at range you eat a laser or a top.

M@v

Subarashii!
Falco does good up close I do agree, but I feel camping is the stronger choice in most situations, because if you do it right, you force him to approach you, which gives you an every larger advantage up close than you already had.

M@v

Subarashii!
One of the state college rules of smash applying to rob is "ROB must announce all downsmashes by first doing a spotdodge."

This isn't true obviously, unless your playing so-so or bad rob players.

Or if it's wifi

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
Just my own personal thing, but I have a much harder time against Arty's aggressive Falco than I do with campy Falcos. It's a playstyle worth considering against ROB, since he's not good under pressure.

clowsui

Smash Legend
if there's any doubt about recovery, go for the ledge

ROB is exceptionally good at punishing your onstage recoveries

jab the mess out of him

when he's in the air you want to attack him with position and not hits. let him land in bad spots, unless he's like whiffing a lot of aerials or something (LOL @ ROB whiffing)

camping him is a solid strat

SxK

Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei"
I hate dealing with campy falcos. Too slow on the ground and in the air to avoid anything.

:phone:

Redrix

Smash Rookie
60:40

Like some people said, Falco can employ they aggro style and the camp style, but personally I think that if you camp you're not exposed to get punished and you will be always who punish him, with jabs, phantasm, nairs, the shine...

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
how many times does dsmash hit? if you get hit, can you DI out of it?
SDi out of it by SDi-ing up, then Punish Rob with a Grab, Jab, Tilt of your Choice, Usmash or Dsmash.
Basically, when Rob Dsmashes, you have a free hit if you SDi it.

Rubio24

Smash Rookie
so camping wouldnt be the best option then cause that bair and nair are so annoying and worrying about his projectiles doesnt help either but from reading all of these comments maybe jabs and laser should do the trick rather well...

Wow. We have been going over match-up stuff for the past like 7 months.

I suppose I do not follow what your trying to say. Are you say camping is bad because of rob's nair and bair?

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Camping vs ROB is amazing. I have beaten TeeVee, Kiraflax, t0mmy, and Chibo and never lost a set to a ROB with falco. Camp him and force the approach. Instead of CGing to spiking ROB I like to CG 5 times then Nair then usually follow up off of that depending on the players DI. Jabbing is amazing vs ROB aswell. The best tip I can give is to camp him because ROB is a campy character, and you beat him up close and in far range.

M@v

Subarashii!
Camping vs ROB is amazing. I have beaten TeeVee, Kiraflax, t0mmy, and Chibo and never lost a set to a ROB with falco. Camp him and force the approach. Instead of CGing to spiking ROB I like to CG 5 times then Nair then usually follow up off of that depending on the players DI. Jabbing is amazing vs ROB aswell. The best tip I can give is to camp him because ROB is a campy character, and you beat him up close and in far range.
To add to this, against most robs it becomes really easy to predict when they're gonna laser or top, so you can reflect it right back in their face.

Ive never lost in tourney vs rob either. It isnt an overly hard matchup to understand. Just have to be extra careful recovering because thats his best chance to kill you.

PS nair is so good vs rob. Rob sucks at getting out of multi hit moves so abuse them.

Neon!

Smash Lord
I could never decide whether this matchup was +1 or +2 in falcos favor. Gyro's and lasers are great at pressuring falco's linear recovery as well as Rob's ability to hover far offstage and bair or fair. Rob shouldnt be charging his gyro all the way every time, simply putting an idle gyro on the stage can mess with falco's side-b escape option and can even absorb lasers.

Top Bottom