• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Match-Ups

Crin

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, Crin here.

Needing some help with Falco match-ups. I'm a Melee player in a Project M dominated scene in my area. It's fine to carry over as it's not difficult to transfer Melee skills to Project M. I don't normally play Project M, and when I do, I play Roy most of the time. But I have been playing Melee and Falco only for the past few weeks and I moved to a more, Project M dominated scene.

There are certain match-ups where I find myself struggling to keep up with.

1) Sonic... This guy is the main problem. I'm not 100% sure what he can do, and how it works. So someone help me out.

2) Peach. I came from a Melee scene where there's only like 2 Peach players. This new place has a few Peach players and I'm still not sure how to deal with her.

3) Game & Watch. This guy has a hitbox out 80% of the time and is stupidly easy to combo with it seems. The only thing I can think of is to be faster and try to get him off the stage and Dair him at higher percentages.

4) Diddy Kong. No idea what he does. I don't play Brawl... Someone help?

Nail.exe

Smash Cadet
Sonic has the potential for being one of Falco's worst matchups in P:M, so that one's pretty tricky. However I've seen people complain on the Sonic boards that Falco is one of Sonic's worst matchups.... maybe it's an 80/80 situation, maybe it's actually good for us, who knows. What I do know is that your laser is far and away your best tool against Sonic, because it interrupts the movement options (spins) that he uses to get in and start combos. Unfortunately the laser has very little hitstun making it difficult to convert off of compared to something like PKFreeze or Fireballs. So if you dedicate off of a spaced laser you will likely find yourself pressuring a shield, so laser -> jump cancelled grab will probably be your friend. What to do after you grab Sonic, I can only guess. Uthrow -> up air doesn't come out incredibly fast but it could be a good surprise finisher on low ceiling stages. Uthrow -> dair is probably safe mid to high percent, but if they DI behind you you might have to Uthrow -> bair. Dthrow techchase shinegrabs are also incredibly hype and should be considered a viable mixup depending on who you're facing. I don't know enough about the matchup to speculate further. Here's some footage to consider, though:

Peach is a matchup that I get absolutely REKT by. My best advice is to check out the Melee matchup thread. However due to the nature of Peach's air game I'd say that it would be worth learning RAR bairs because it's your safest aerial against her (dair and nair are MUCH more likely to trade... which you don't want). She's floaty enough that things like dair -> RARbair will get you decent mileage.

G&W: lolidk¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Diddy:

I don't know enough about the matchup to say anything for certain, other than Sethlon told me you CAN DI Diddy's fair... downwards. Oh, and you HAVE to use Diddy's bananas against him. Wavedash / land over them to pick them up and then use them for stage control in addition to your lasers.

Really you could probably get more from this footage than from listening to me, but I can't say for certain how well SGJ was playing in this match:

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
Kill Game & Watch with down-tilt at fairly high percents. Down throw down tilt will be your easiest setup.

Top Bottom