• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Laser Help?

Bozo302

Smash Rookie
I see that lasers are a pretty important aspect of falco and I was wondering how do people manuver so fast while shooting lasers? (short hop laser at high speed)

Jackson

Smash Lord
Just short hop, press B and fast fall. It's faster than Falco's normal way of shooting them. The cool thing about it is that you can move during the short hop laser, after pressing B. So, if i wanted to approach while doing the SHL (short hop laser), I would short hop, press b, press left or right towards my opponent, and fast fall. Use the small stun and overall pressure of the lasers to get in on your opponent. I recommend laser to Fsmash, it works very well.

Hope I helped.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Thats the beauty of lasers, they can combo into most anything. Laser into F-smash is good for getting the kills at high percentages. At low percents, consider D-air to begin a combo and get their percent up.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Thats the beauty of lasers, they can combo into most anything. Laser into F-smash is good for getting the kills at high percentages. At low percents, consider D-air to begin a combo and get their percent up.
True, from what i'm learning it seems the Dair is Falco's bread and butter move.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
I feel like grabs are inferior to most other things you can do as Falco. If you get them offstage, then it is very worth it, but U-throw is his only option at low percents when you are at the center of the stage. You can barely get anything out of U-throw if they DI it.

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
I feel like grabs are inferior to most other things you can do as Falco. If you get them offstage, then it is very worth it, but U-throw is his only option at low percents when you are at the center of the stage. You can barely get anything out of U-throw if they DI it.
I guess generally you wanna Dthrow to either get a tech chase read or maybe even a quick Shine/Utilt/Dtilt if they dont DI or tech fast.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
I guess generally you wanna Dthrow to either get a tech chase read or maybe even a quick Shine/Utilt/Dtilt if they dont DI or tech fast.
I've heard people say that D-throw is terrible. If you are on the ledge, it is funny when they miss the DI and get meteored. Other than that I think that following DI on U-throw is still better than D-throw.

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
I've heard people say that D-throw is terrible. If you are on the ledge, it is funny when they miss the DI and get meteored. Other than that I think that following DI on U-throw is still better than D-throw.
Oh yeah, the funny ledge meteor :p

But yeah, you may have a point about Uthrow. I should try it out more, but even so it doesn't seem like a great option. I guess this cements your point that Falco's grab game is pretty bad.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Yeah, grabs are just something you threaten your opponent with when they are in shield. It's not like Sheik and other characters where grabs define your entire meta. Fox definitely is more grab centric. You can always play Brawl Falco for dem sick chaingrabs. :)

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
Yeah, grabs are just something you threaten your opponent with when they are in shield. It's not like Sheik and other characters where grabs define your entire meta. Fox definitely is more grab centric. You can always play Brawl Falco for dem sick chaingrabs. :)
True, had no experience with Falco in Brawl but i think he actually had a lot of advanced techs. Like the gatling combo, which i'm trying to integrate into my PM Falco game... with limited success. It's kinda hard lol

Lizalfos

Smash Master
True, had no experience with Falco in Brawl but i think he actually had a lot of advanced techs. Like the gatling combo, which i'm trying to integrate into my PM Falco game... with limited success. It's kinda hard lol
It's good due to the jankyness of the mix-up, but spaced and shffl'd aerials are likely safer and actually combo. Does Gatling into U-tilt work? Falco's up-smash does so many different things depending on at what point it hits. I think the new Wave Bounce Lasers and RARs are the most important tech for Falco. Footstool might have applications for your offstage game(since Falco falls like a rock if you use a non-rising aerial), or as a tool against Yoshi and in other matchups.

Jackson

Smash Lord
It's good due to the jankyness of the mix-up, but spaced and shffl'd aerials are likely safer and actually combo. Does Gatling into U-tilt work? Falco's up-smash does so many different things depending on at what point it hits. I think the new Wave Bounce Lasers and RARs are the most important tech for Falco. Footstool might have applications for your offstage game(since Falco falls like a rock if you use a non-rising aerial), or as a tool against Yoshi and in other matchups.
I think Gatling into Utilt does work SOMETIMES; it's situational, but it can be very good.

Taytertot

Smash Ace
Im curious, is SHDL still a thing? I cant get it to work at 1/4 speed and im fairly certain im pressing b within a few frames of the earliest possible time (first buffered frame before airborne frame). Or maybe im not getting it because its a timing thing?

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Im curious, is SHDL still a thing? I cant get it to work at 1/4 speed and im fairly certain im pressing b within a few frames of the earliest possible time (first buffered frame before airborne frame). Or maybe im not getting it because its a timing thing?
No, it isn't. This is Melee Falco essentially.
You can buffer either unless you turn input assist on, and no tournament will let you.
Also, google "PM Debug mode" and go to images to the the button combinations to use a tool that lets you input frame by frame and see hitboxes and other cool stuff.

You can DL from the ledge, but if they are close and cover it, you will get destroyed hard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom