• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco in Doubles

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
A lot of people think that Falco is horrible in doubles, it's mainly because you can't play Falco like you do in Singles.

Here are some of the characters I think do best or have potential to do well with Falco in doubles:

MK
He's MK, yeah...

Diddy Kong
Both characters follow up from each other's attacks very well, you can rack up damage insanely quick. One of the main things that make this team work well is that both characters are good at getting stage control and keeping it. Diddy is really good at saving Falco from getting gimped by tossing a banana at him, the bananas also make it easier for Falco to set up for kills. If you're going to team with a Diddy I'd suggest having good banana control, it'll make your team that much better.

Mr. Game and Watch
Both of these characters rack up damage fairly quickly, plus Game and Watch kills insanely early. You can laser his bucket which gives your team another good kill option and will scare the opposing team. Game and Watch's up air and up b make it hard for Falco get gimped as long both characters are close to each other. Game and Watch's down throw can set up for a laser lock :).

Kirby
The main reason I like this team is that Kirby can steal your powers, which allows you to support each other with lasers. Kirby can also potentially steal another power of his opponents if he feels it would be better than Falco's lasers.

Snake
This team is great if you both have stage control, you both rack up damage quick and snake is great at killing with his many kill moves. The main thing I don't like about this team is that both characters aren't that great at saving each other.

Wario
"Wario and Falco mesh almost prefectly, there's strength, weight and mobility for Falco to support, and lasers aren't a huge issue for Wario. Some mix ups include Falco just sitting back and shooting off lasers while Wario is off airdodging his *** off letting the lasers pass through him lol. His weakness to grab releases is also heavily negated due to phantasm and lasers. And again, pure strength, Fsmash and Waft are both amazing in teams when partnered with a supporting character. In this team, I often find Falco stock tanking because of his style. Wario is leading and being distracting enough to keep Falco safe while both characters are racking up damage and getting kills. Great because Wario is overall a better character in doubles."

I think Falco's best strength in doubles is his ability to support his partner. His lasers make it very easy for his partner to approach while at the same time limiting your opponents approaching options. The key to doing this is having accuracy with your lasers, I would practice doing this if you want to become a good at doubles with Falco(or good with Falco in general :awesome:). If you're accuracy with lasers isn't that great, don't use them a lot. Even if you don't hurt yourself, you run the chance of setting your partner up to get hit.

Keep in mind that in doubles people are most likely not paying attention to everything all the time. Throwing out a random fsmash here and there actually isn't that bad of an idea, just make sure that you don't make it too obvious or do it when you have a much better option. Throwing out a lot of side b isn't that bad of an idea either, just make sure you're not obvoius with it. Even hitting your partner with side b isn't too bad, especially if you hit everyone else.

Make sure to abuse your throws, the hitbox on your throws makes it very easy to other people with it. three out of four of Falco's throws result in him shooting lasers, that means if you aim your throws correctly the lasers might hit the opponent not being thrown. What I like to do is grab someone wait for a bit to see if the opponent will come near me and then try to make my throw hit them.

Don't be risky when it comes to getting kills!!!! You have a partner which means you don't have to do everything. One of the best things to do is to simply grab your opponent then call your teammate over to land the kill or vice versa, it's a much easier thing to do than fishing for kills.

Spam jab it's 2 frames and the full jab sets up for your teammate to rack up even more damage on the opponent. Just make sure you don't full jab if the other opponent is behind you :embarrass:.

If you're offstage and trying to recover don't be in such a rush to land on the stage. Stay on the ledge until you feel it's safe to get back on the stage, your teammate can fight the opponents off to clear a path for you.

If there's any other things anyone else would like to add feel free to share :awesome:.

swordsaint

Smash Master
I find it amusing. I've been making ALL of these exact points about Falco in doubles for a while now. I think I'm one of the few who still plays Falco in doubles so it's good to see some actually advice from you, and makes me feel good especially knowing I'm on the right track with it, same mindset.

I was literally telling someone LAST NIGHT these exact points and that Falco supports in teams.

Additionally, two things I recommend adding.

First of which is that, in general Falco teams well with strong characters, his support abilities are amazing when they're used in conjunction with a teammates pure power, because not only is there potential for combos and quick damage racking, there's the ability for safe kill moves.

Secondly, I believe Wario to team well with Falco.

Wario and Falco mesh almost prefectly, there's strength, weight and mobility for Falco to support, and lasers aren't a huge issue for Wario. Some mix ups include Falco just sitting back and shooting off lasers while Wario is off airdodging his *** off letting the lasers pass through him lol. His weakness to grab releases is also heavily negated due to phantasm and lasers. And again, pure strength, Fsmash and Waft are both amazing in teams when partnered with a supporting character. In this team, I often find Falco stock tanking because of his style. Wario is leading and being distracting enough to keep Falco safe while both characters are racking up damage and getting kills. Great because Wario is overall a better character in doubles.

A few comboes that come to mind include mix ups with Wario's dthrow > falco upsmash > wario uair >* soemtimes falco may even be able to follow this up.

Overall, it's an amazing team.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Informative and helpful as always, Larry :)

Like you, I also love Falco's throw hitboxes in teams. My favorite thing to do is use them to attack the player who is trying to help their team mate, then you get a 2 for 1 throw :D Many Falco players don't seem to realize how good this really is in teams.

The teams you mentioned are probably his best though, I agree. I've played Falco/Snake with Joker and, like you said, it works really awesome when you have stage control. However, when one or both of you gets knocked off stage it could be a LONG time before you regain that stage control, if ever :\

I definitely do not think that Falco is very good in teams overall, there are many better choices. I do think he's better than people give him credit for though and has his place in certain matches / stages.

The biggest thing though is just a matter of the Falco player and his team mate understanding how to work with the character, which many people don't do "naturally" in doubles with Falco because he's so different than the norm in that environment.

I think I'm a DeDeDe main again for a while though. Falco is just not fitting me as much these days.

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
THANK YOU DEHF FOR THE DOUBLES THREAD!!! I love Jab for doubles, it's so good! I like teaming with Diddy and either MK or Wario. Diddy makes the game so easy if you both have control of the game, and Wario covers Falco in the air. I want to try G&W because of the bucket, his bair, and in a Jab combo from you he can Usmash or Hammer, or bucket them.

clowsui

Smash Legend
lol There are lots of other people who are informative as well. The main difference is that people believe are more apt to listen to every word Larry says and treat it like fact. :bee:
you missed the part where MMM didn't say anything about anyone else's contributions, he just wanted to compliment larry on this one. but i haven't seen you contribute to the falco boards for a long time/ever soooooooo.... in any case, if you don't have anything worthwhile to say, leave.

to the topic at hand:

is it team dependent when it comes to how safe falco should be playing? i always get scared of being hit in doubles because good teams are always in a position to play 2v1 at any point on the stage, but i find myself being very ineffective and generally useless playing in a safer style. thoughts on this issue?

anyone can answer*.

* now's your time to contribute, eryth

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
Falco's best role is support, but if you have opportunities to be aggro don't be afraid to do so. Falco playing support is mainly for the phase where both teams are fighting for stage control, if you have control of the stage going aggro shouldn't be much of a problem as long as you're being smart about it.

I'll add wario right now :)

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
What about Fox and Pit? what options does those characters has to offer in doubles?

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
I just read the Wario part, I think Wario is one of Falco's best partners, and it's just fun to play with a Wario player. Fox and Falco could do well with lasers, but I can't think of anything that Fox or Pit give Falco. I've never teamed with a Fox or Pit.

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
Fox is a decent partner, but there's better teams that work together. The two main problem is that they're both play supportive roles, which means neither character is that great at playing aggro and if you lose stage control the team can fall apart very easily.

I've never teamed with a pit, but just from thinking about it I don't think it would be that great of a team. The main problem I see with this team is the lack of kill power.

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
I also think that Pit, Falco, and Fox get killed too early... They are all light. Wario helps with that :D

Shugo-Chan

Smash Lord
I've never teamed with a wario before, but i remember arty/quik doing the team pretty well back in the day. I'm gonna team with malcolm for siis5, so...anymore tips for that team would be incredibly useful plziz.

Falco/Kirby Falco/Diddy are probably my favorite teams so far, lol they're both so irritating to the opposite team.

Choice

Smash Champion
fox falco is really funky, but they are both capable of getting out damage really quickly due to both being better at supporting than leading.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Fox is a decent partner, but there's better teams that work together. The two main problem is that they're both play supportive roles, which means neither character is that great at playing aggro and if you lose stage control the team can fall apart very easily.

I've never teamed with a pit, but just from thinking about it I don't think it would be that great of a team. The main problem I see with this team is the lack of kill power.
Falco pit would be similar to kirby pit. We can help set up gimps and support them and our WoI is a super easy infinite laser lock gimmick once it's 2v1. Not the best team but is defintely useable and able to do well imo. We also provide very good ground control with our jabs and good air control with dair and SH space control with nair.

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
Wario is awesome. It's awesome to be able to team with him, he has so many options and offers so much. Falco can support his awesomeness. :)

you missed the part where MMM didn't say anything about anyone else's contributions, he just wanted to compliment larry on this one. but i haven't seen you contribute to the falco boards for a long time/ever soooooooo.... in any case, if you don't have anything worthwhile to say, leave.
now's your time to contribute, eryth
lol I was only pointing out the observation.

But the only thing I will say is that getting back from the ledge with lasers or run off lasers have more opportunities to be used in doubles compared to singles and those chances are usually safer. You should abuse them when you can.

Oh, and Kudos to anyone who can consistently cancel your partners lag with a laser ;P

sorasin

Smash Apprentice
I can vouch for Falco/Diddy. Both characters can control the stage very easily with bananas/lasers. It makes CPing Green Greens a completely valid choice if you are good at holding the center of the stage. That leaves your opponents with bananas, lasers, and bombs to deal with as well as apples should they appear.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I haven't tried this but larry your missing something on kirby.

Since I team with falln ,I the metaknight tend to do metaknight work, falln does falln bull**** and gets kills.

Kirby has really good doubles kill power, something falco wants.

Falco also rarely gets gimped by metaknight, and recovers fast, which is also a doubles bonus.

oh and falcos really good at hitting people

Master Raven

Smash Master
Yeah Omnigay is ****ing dumb, but by the end of the set we figured that we had to play them just like we play ZSS/GW: separate them as much as possible. That tourney was also like the first time we teamed lol so we'll get better with our teamwork as time progresses.

Btw, when GW is teamed up with a character who can feed him projectiles for his bucket (like ZSS), Falco can fill the bucket when GW has it out to weaken it. Bucket w/ lasers is pretty weak compared to what else it can absorb. DJ Jack did this in our set w/ Vinnie And Nick Riddle (which we won and recorded, but 2link doesn't have the replays unless we harass Chaz to give em to him since it's on his [Chaz's] Wii -_-)

Zephyros

Smash Apprentice
What about Fox and Pit? what options does those characters has to offer in doubles?
Fox and Falco work pretty well together; kuares is my doubles partner, so I've got experience with that pairing. Most of the time I play the role of the support character, building damage so that he can snag the kill (upsmash ftw). You can do a few pretty cool things if your timing is good. e.g. falco dair into fox upsmash. Grabs really shine for setups with this pair imo.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Seems like @ recent national events...Falco/Diddy got 3rd. DEHF & Felix @ MLG Dallas? And Shugo/ADHD @ WHOBO 3. That's pretty good. Falco/Pit is probably not that bad @ all. The only good Falco/Pit team I saw was Jem & Sagemoon vs DSF & Bladewise from ages ago. You could try teaming w/ Kira :0

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I just thought of this sexy Falco&Fox combo in 2v1.

CG>Fox's Dair>Fox's Fthrow>Falco's Dthrow>Fox's Dair>Usmash. GG

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
What about Falco and Marth I was just curious about how that team could work?

swordsaint

Smash Master
I did an amazing team combo in friendlies with falco

toon link did a spike onstage, I shdl with both lasers hitting, first on the way down, second as a laser lock, forced get up > falco fsmash > toonlink up smash for kill.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
For Falco to be effective in doubles, he has to be a support player. He can't be the guy who expects to get all the kills and he has to know that as long as he is racking up the damage on the enemy he's doing his job. Falco is best complimented by people with strength or good KO moves.

I do have to say from experience that Falco plus Game and Watch is a good team. My best friend mains him, and I'm a Falco main.

Also, I agree with everybody on your list, but I would also like to throw King Dedede into the mix to go with those that you have already stated. I think that the two work together really well because Dedede can KO all day with his strength and Falco has so many moves to pile up the damage and annoy the enemy, particularly the laser. Me and my little brother run this team, and it works pretty well for us. Or we used to anyway...he's trying to switch his main, and to say the least I'm not too happy about it. Dedede was a great compliment to my skills and with the way I look at the game, it worked out great. Now playing this team, Dedede is usually going to get more than half of the kills and both players have to understand that going in and have good teamwork and get along well. As long as they both understand Dedede KO's and Falco puts up mad damage and supports, then it works pretty well. I would not suggest this team if the person who plays Dedede is a cocky kid that isn't a positive person that gets down on his teammate for "only geting 3 kills". From all my previous competitive gaming, I have to say this teamup is one that requires good chemistry, but it's a pretty destructive force.

Top Bottom