• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Frame Traps Compendium ( Now with some Option Selects!)

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Falco Frame Trap Compendium

Introduction

Hey Falcos, Im going around trying to compile frame traps that scattered in their each individual character boards and place them in one thread per character. Later on Ill make a directory for these things to aid other players whether new or old. I do believe these list will make characters better understood, and hopefully the community will understand how to get the best out of their punishments which the current metagame lacks in. And we all know big punishments+mutiple solid strings = Hype.

So Mr. Frame Trap Mains, heres the deal:

-you post list some frame traps Falco has

-if you believe them to be particularly powerful frame traps then a detailed analysis would be good as well

- I will try my best to update regularly ( if not Ill give to someone in the Falco boards to handle)

So can we start naming off some?

- uair> aerial frame trap is amazing one especially due to Falcos Vertical Airspeed, the disjoint of the uair itself, and fact that falco can easily place his opponents into the position with; IAP for example. It also aids Falco with his issue in killing with the specific frame trap uair> bair.

Frame Trap​

[COLLAPSE="Definition"]A set of two actions that due to the first action's cooldown, shield stun, range or a combination of these sorts punishes majority of defensive options present.[/COLLAPSE]
Aerial Frame Traps a.k.a Juggle Traps​

Uair:

One of the most solid and easy frame trapping moves in the game.

[COLLAPSE="Hide"]Bair: a high priority move that aids Falco in killing greatly. A top killing frame trap in Falco's arsenal also if an opponent ADs late ( as in right before you uair) you might get a soft hit bair which strings into another bair lol.

Dair: Spiking offstage is good and all with this frame trap. On stage it serves as a tech chase. And we all know Falco's skill at tech chasing. Whats even more awesome is the fact that a Falco who can vary IAP lengths at will can sometimes tech chase with IAP then go into this frame trap again. too good.[/COLLAPSE]

Air to Ground Frame Traps

Now Falco is amazing when it comes to these particular frame traps; its what makes Falco quite scary. From Laser to cross over aerials Falco is a definite threat in these scenarios.

Laser traps

[COLLAPSE="Details"]Lets start with the Silent Laser trap that made its appearance in the 5th MM. That being the case....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8lxdPRlBas

so we know we can start falcos awesome CG/ grab game from this, but what else can be done? Well even when decayed, Silent Laser becomes a true 50/50 on shield: you have to either spotdodge IMMEDIATELY or stay in shield ( lolimar and bowser still gets grab on hit AND block due to their frame 3 spotdodge).

But thats not all that can be done with Silent lasers. on hit you have basically 7 frames to do whatever you want. Given that Falco's jump takes 5 frames you could actually nair cross up a ton of the cast which is another frame trap in itself. Granted You should go for the guaranteed damage but its just something to think about. Regardless, Falco's Silent Laser trap is one of the best on shield traps in the game.

We also have regular laser, which I believe is +3 which when spaced allows for safe jab on shield or another 50/50 scenario lol.

[/COLLAPSE]

Nair cross up>jab

[COLLAPSE="Hide"]Now while there isnt a ton of options in this game that allow for "true" shield pressure, there are ways to apply it with some characters by simply crossing up your opponent. You see, for the majority of the cast, their fast punish OoS is grab. Which means they have to resort to a defensive option whether it be roll, spotdodge, or shield. Nair cross up> jab is amazing frame trap because once Falco lands behind you he's only at a -8 frame disadvantage ( may be less as Falco's frame data thread STILL doesnt have PSA checked frame data for some unknown reason..........). With his 2 frame jab there are little answers to beating it with an aerial OoS ( your best options against a cross up). If you stay in shield, falco can jab cancel all day on that thing and theres really nothing you can do aside from a defensive option.[/COLLAPSE]

Meaty Bair cross up> jab

[COLLAPSE="Details"]Again theres some mistakes on the falcos frame data thread. However, based off the landing lag vs shield stun, a meaty bair would be -1 advantage. With a frame 6 grab again being the majority of the cast fast option OoS, what can they do without it vs Falcos 2 frame jab? Nothing cept block, roll or spotdodge. All of these easily beaten by Falco. Roll? Meaty dash attack which gives you MORE frame advantage to string in something else. spotdodge? grab, dsmash, dair, etc. Shield? Jab cancels all day.
[/COLLAPSE]

Option Selects

[COLLAPSE="Definition"]An Option Select is a joystick or button input which functions as multiple possible actions simultaneously, letting the game engine decide the best counter to a situation. Specific instances allow only certain moves to come out, so you can worry less about your opponents options, and focus more on your own offense.[/COLLAPSE]

I am going to make a video later detailing what option selects are good for Falco and why. For now I will leave this video of SF detailing OS and my blog on AIB regarding them.

http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=125939

There are a couple Shield OS that are potentially good for Falco:

Grab^Roll OS:

[COLLAPSE="Hide"]There are a multitude of grab^Roll OS. the ones we will discuss are:
ISSDI forward x 1 grab^Froll OS
ISSDI x 1 backwards grab^Broll OS
ISSDI forward x 2 grab^Froll OS

Inputs:
- cstick forward for ISSDI forward x 1 grab or Froll
- cstick backward for ISSDI x 1 backwards grab or Broll
- forward on the analog stick + cstick up (ISSDI forward x 2 grab or Froll)

Why they could be useful:

- Falco has solid Rolls
- most people arent just going to stand there while in CQC meaning you are now behind your opponent and can punish a whiff attempt or spotdodge, and if they do stand there, Falco's jab is an excellent at stuffing attacks. Its also nice that Falco's rolls have decent distance, allowing him to be at a safe distance frame wise abuse his long range frame 2 jab and frame 6 ftilt.

I would definitely love some of our Falco mains to do some in-depth testing on these and see what they find.[/COLLAPSE]

Usmash OoS^Roll OS:

[COLLAPSE="Details"]Input:
- Usmash OoS^Froll: rotate the analog stick from forward to up +A (this is if you have tap jump on, otherwise you have to input the forward on the analog stick then a jump command afterwards + up +A)

- Usmash OoS^Broll: rotate the analog stick from back to up +A (this is if you have tap jump on, otherwise you have to input the back on the analog stick then a jump command afterwards + up +A)

Why they could be useful: it offers a safer kill option as well as a forward roll version that can be used to get back to applying pressure with Falco's amazing boxing game.
[/COLLAPSE]

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Laser on Block lol. not even silent just spaced well.

if it hits it hits and you have options from there
if it hits block you can just stay safe and ftilt
or go for grab mixups // spotdodge like a ****** // force their shield low so you can stab with usmash

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Finally someone posted. Thank you Orion! Ive been dealing with the marth frame trap compendium as they are ones more likely to actually care lol. However im friends with Larry irl and he said he will help me out with this. You know DEHF wants his hatchlings to fly; hes too tired of watching them hit branches on the way down. Im adding to the OP.

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
You can frame trap with grab.

You grab, they spot dodge, you grab/jab.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Isn't that dependent on the specific opponent and their spot dodge frames and options from a neutral position?

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
At around +60%, if you hit with a grounded Dair, it pops them up.
Their options are Airdodge, Attack, Or Jump away.
If they dodge, bair during the dodge so they don't get hit.
Dair again when they land on the ground.
It's a simple frame trap I do if they don't Di the first Dair, even then, it's to dodge as you can wait it out, even if they Di.

If they attack, Space a Uair or Bair, Or Dair/ Nair.

I've done this trap at 90% and it ended around 134%.
It's very useful.

At low enough damages, you can follow up with a charged smash.

I find Dair to be the most useful move for starting a frame trap.

B-Throw/U-Throw/D-Throw are all useful for frame traps.

Though, only use them for frame trapping if they're past the CG Damages.

As for Dair as a frame trap, make sure you land behind them, you don't want to be grabbed.

For rolling behind and Jabbing, it works pretty well as long as you don't it at damages vs *Character can kill you with what move*

Lasers only give +3 on shield.
And +0 on a Power Shield.
Though, they're an amazing approach option.
Shl -> Walking grab works amazingly well for me.
As well as Shl -> Hyphen smash (Spaced ).

Anyway, that's all for now.

Top Bottom