• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

falco/fox technique, Shine Landing

Lovage

Smash Hero
video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4_W5hVGVoE

original idea from silent wolf, explored more by me and silent wolf

shine landing: using shine right as you pass through a platform so you stick to the ground. can be done from below or above. after shine landing you can do anything you could do from a normal shine, such as jump, wavedash, JC grab, JC shine etc.

potential applications:
- eliminate the lag from wavelanding onto platforms, increasing platform mobility
- shield pressure from unexpected angles
- shine -> JC grab mixup

stages: it's easier on certain platforms/stages. the side platforms on BF and DL are the easiest with falco. pokemon stadium main platforms are almost impossible with one jump, you have to do two jumps and time it well. i don't know much about why certain platforms or easier or how to do them, it'll be figured out soon i guess.

Lovage

Smash Hero
Zhu's been doing this for a while i think. He mostly uses it to get another jump while shine comboing upwards.
(5:50:11 PM) Zhu: oh that
(5:50:18 PM) Zhu: i do it by accident
(5:50:22 PM) lingbling6: lol
(5:50:23 PM) Zhu: like i knew about it i guess
(5:50:34 PM) Zhu: but i wouldn't be able to do it with consistency

not trying to fight for credit, just bringing the technique to light. i know people knew about it before (Jpeal10) but no one ever thought about applying it much

Squidster

Smash Ace
lol i never thought of doing that

well i mean... i've done it before and knew about it... I just never thought about trying to do it consistently.
cool though

Zodiac

Smash Master
I fumbled around with this tech about a year ago but never really tried to refine it, awesome in a can though.

Lovage

Smash Hero
new developments with this technique
sometimes (apparently all the time with fox) a shine land has no hitbox and weird properties
invisible shines on frame 1-4

other stuff too

i'll write it up later

How does this give you more mobility than a waveland?
You can't run out of it..
Increased platform mobility, meaning more options from platforms. If you time the shine perfectly as you land you have absolutely zero landing lag (You basically trade your regular landing lag for the 1 frame it take for the shine to come out). This gives you a quicker option and can be used if necessary. This is if you land from above.

2bad

Smash Cadet
is this the technique that had a lil showcase in "mango+alex+lucky=**** x2"? they had a lil segment of shine lands to wavedash bair with fox! ive been tryin to do it. its pretty sick!

Lovage

Smash Hero
we're putting together a LOT of brand new stuff for our 2-man tech skill video (coming in feb.)

gonna be ****

Metà

Smash Master
I used to do this a lot when I was messing around in frame advance (debug menu)..... I never thought people would actually be able to do it consistently though, it requires pretty pretty much frame perfect timing >.<

I used to do this a lot when I was messing around in frame advance (debug menu)..... I never thought people would actually be able to do it consistently though, it requires pretty pretty much frame perfect timing >.<
It does require frame perfect timing, there's only a one frame opening. I have some frame data already but If it gets posted I'm going to wait until I have some for different stages.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
IDK i just don't want things to be like brawl was. Every physics exploit and minor tactic had to have its own name ect...

This is the same concept as multishining (shining in the air and then landing on the next frame)

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
(5:50:11 PM) Zhu: oh that
(5:50:18 PM) Zhu: i do it by accident
(5:50:22 PM) lingbling6: lol
(5:50:23 PM) Zhu: like i knew about it i guess
(5:50:34 PM) Zhu: but i wouldn't be able to do it with consistency

not trying to fight for credit, just bringing the technique to light. i know people knew about it before (Jpeal10) but no one ever thought about applying it much
Yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone's done it once or twice by accident. If you found a way to exploit it, that'd be great.

Applications I see are shine->waveland off to dair, then continuing a combo, or really just giving falco first platform lazer game.

Dr_Strangelove

Smash Journeyman
people use this quite a lot in the 64 version, I'm glad you melee guys are finally catching up. It will be interesting to see what you lot can do with it, I'll keep a look out for this new video.

IDK i just don't want things to be like brawl was. Every physics exploit and minor tactic had to have its own name ect...

This is the same concept as multishining (shining in the air and then landing on the next frame)
We just decided to give it a name because trying to describe it each time we talk about it is annoying, plus it isnt widely recognized, so theres no reason it shouldnt be posted. Its not like "gamebreaking new falco tactic" This isnt brawl, were not desperate for techs lol. Doesnt mean they shouldnt be recognized tho

JPOBS

Smash Hero
lol i do this accidently all the time and always thought nothing of it.

i guess its technically faster than a waveland if you only want to jump out of it. but im pretty sure wavelanding would be faster than shinelanding>waveshine out.

in fact, im not even sure shine landing is faster than wavelanding lets see.
you've gt the 1 frame for the shine to come out, and you've got the 6 (?) frames it takes to jump out of the shine from the platform. so 7 total

whereas wavelanding is what...10 i think?
i dunno frame data isnt my forte lol.

Lovage

Smash Hero
shine land from below -> waveland isn't that important because falco has a 7 frame lag in the shine when shine landing from below before he can do stuff. it's mostly extremely useful when doing it from above when you have 0 frames of lag (and no hitbox) and can use it for platform mobility and extending combos

but dont worry about it you can just wait for our new vid and we'll show all that stuff

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I'm pritty sure people have known about this for a long time. But it doesn't really affect anything because:

If you shine in the middle of a platform - jump waveland down correctly your opponent can't do anything anyway.

shine land from below -> waveland isn't that important because falco has a 7 frame lag in the shine when shine landing from below before he can do stuff. it's mostly extremely useful when doing it from above when you have 0 frames of lag (and no hitbox) and can use it for platform mobility and extending combos

but dont worry about it you can just wait for our new vid and we'll show all that stuff
thats on battlefield from a full jump, you can adjust the timing via double jump. if you double jump theres still just a 1 frame opening to do this tho

Big_R

Smash Champion
i would do this on accident a lot! lol but it always messed me up cuz i was just trying to shine waveland and the timing is different so i'd be stuck in it like a fool. but ya make it happen if u can. i pry wont but it will gimme something pretty to look at

Pin0yX

Smash Rookie
How do you glitch it to that mode? Nice job on the video though im trying to learn to do it constantly

PEEF!

Smash Hero
get a peach at 520% and do like a wombo shine bair

(lovage)shine-> (lovage)bair -> (SW)shine -> (SW) Bair
THIS

would make LovaWolf the best video of all time! (The Peach needs the AR tag)

bobert4936

Smash Cadet
lol i do that when i mess up my shine into wavedash onto a platform lol. it actually really screws me up cuz i just usually stay in my shine for couple seconds... mayb i should learn it lol.

T-Cash

Smash Apprentice
me and my friend practice this all day i still got
the cut on my thumb from doing it so much but now i can do it fluently

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
I realized that this happens when I messed up shine wavelands onto platforms a lot. it's easy to do accurately from below a platform (i havnt tested it but i would be shocked if that were frame perfect timing, as I can usually get it). ive never tried doing it from above a platform, though; that part looks interesting.

smakis

Smash Ace
didnt know shine cancels from landing in melee too, i have been trying to apply this in smash64 for a while now, but its pretty hard

sleak-

Smash Journeyman
When i practice shine landing without hitting anything , it seems to work good, but when i apply it in game(hit a player or hit their shield) , the shine comes out and i stick to the platform, and i just cant cancel it (as in jump or wavedash out of it). any tips?

wait a few frames longer, you dont land on the platform on the first frame, but the shine comes out on the first frame and has gives you hitlag when it hits so it takes a bit longer to land. you stick because you try to jump during the hitlag and nothing happens after the shine but you landing on the platform

Top Bottom