• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

trilok

Smash Apprentice
I want to get good at ledgedashing with Falco. Can someone describe the timing in order to get the cleanest ledgedashes?
Ignore what the last poster told you. you do not make falco drop longer than fox to get the cleanest ledgedashes. Both spacies should jump the frame immediatly after letting go of the ledge otherwise you have to wait longer in the jump animation before you can waveland.
look at http://smashboards.com/threads/how-pre-ledgegrab-body-states-affect-your-ledgedash-timing.346128/
These are for OL (optimal ledgedashes which are 14 frames for falco frame perfectly)
I tested this on debug mode since people didn't know/answer when I asked this before. As I had guessed, falco just waits 1 more frame during jump for each ECB state.

Example for falco non fastfall ledgehop optimal ledgedash:
0: cliff wait
1: down/fall
2: jump/hold waveland direction
3: hold waveland direction
4: hold waveland direction
5: hold waveland direction/press airdodge button
6-15: land fall special
16-29: actionable intangibility

for ECB cases for firebird and wavedash back, just add 1 and 2 more frames of being in jump. This shortens the actionable intangibility to 13 and 12.
Generally,
for each drop for 1 more frame than necessary, you need to be in jump 1 more frame as well.
for each frame you airdodge incorrectly, you will be stuck in airdodge for 2 frames before hitting the ground

The trickiest part for me is timing the airdodge after the jump. this is mostly because gamecube r triggers suck for this application and it would be easier with a button instead. for the faster jump to airdodge timings, its like you have to start pressing r before you even hit the jump and that feels a little bit wonky to me.

I also found that i sometimes lost my ECB manipulation frames by not dropping fast enough(3 frame window) so I would be in case two from 1. after practicing, I average between 6-10 actionable invincibility frames. I have used the hackpack framecounter to see where i go wrong, and its usually 3 and sometimes 5 frames lost on non frame perfect airdodge. sometimes i dont immediatly jump either. just taking down statistics on my ledgedashes, its a wonder people can even do this in tournament. theres so many places you can go wrong, and a lot of times, its just dumb luck that I delayed airdodging, or jumped 1 more frames to compensate for being frame imperfect earlier. It seems moderately easy to get 90% ish consistency with 6-10 actionable invincibility frames and not killing yourself due to different timings of drop/fall/jump/wavedash mostly working from what I am doing, but theres also so many times where 1 frame off =death. frame perfect OL seem like a thing of the future, but I think just 6-10 frames almost close ledgedashes can be tournament viable. Thats just my opinion and techskill monsters might be able to do it better than myself. On a side note, I am jealous of fox mains due to their ledgedashes being easier and safer IMO.

Last edited:

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
Regarding Westballz pressure, here are my thoughts/observations. Whenever you do shield pressure, the opponent will always get a chance to do something. No shield pressure in unbeatable. For shine dair pressure, you can either do an early dair or a late dair. If the try to do something after shine, early dair will punish it. If they try to do something after late dair, shine will punish it. Westballz pressure functions similar to shine -> early aerial.

However there are some differences...

Advantages: Westballz pressure keeps your aerial less stale (the extra shine isn't really affected by stale moves due to rounding), and can intimidate your opponent (they think you are more technical than they are). In some situations, you can get a better follow up/position from hitting with a shine, and if you would like, opens up the option of landing on a platform (good against characters who can't punish above them as well like puff or icies).

Disadvantages: Execution is generally considered harder, and messing this up can result in you being in a combo without a DJ (very bad), doesn't allow you to fade in/out as well, and in some situations you would rather hit with an aerial than a shine (can be harder to follow up, does less %). The shine is easier to wiff (they shield DI), and is also out for less time, so if you wiff, it is easier to punish.

Summary: It can be nice, but isn't necessary as far as I know.
Thank you my friend lol. I'm almost always consistent with Westballz Pressure. This will scare most of the Midwest lol

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
I just 4-stocked somebody 3 times in a row, though it was just some kid i knew who said he was good at this game.

I beat him with Fox, Falco, and Falcon. Shows how ridiculous the skill gap in melee can be :D but that's one of the reasons why this game is amazing

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Advantages: Westballz pressure keeps your aerial less stale (the extra shine isn't really affected by stale moves due to rounding)
Hitting shields doesn't stale moves, only hitting hurtboxes does. Also shine is probably the move staling affects most since:

1) at multiplier of 0,84 shine does 4 frames of shieldstun instead of 5 (happens basically if your last and 3rd last hits were shines, or if you've shined 3 times)
2) at multiplier 0,87 shine does less than 7,00%, meaning that if you hit knocked down characters, they get out of hitstun for free.

Slot 1 stales moves by 0,09 , 2 by 0,08 and so on, and the multiplier is (1- sum of the slot values).

orvs

Smash Cadet
hey guys, long post incoming

how do you all deal with the ice climbers as falco? i'm trying to brainstorm for several different safe tactics for the neutral game, along with ways to kill nana very efficiently and quickly on final destination. i'm going to list some stuff and i'd be extremely grateful for any feedback/new ideas that you all can add. whenever i fight an IC's player, often times i find myself winning neutral exchanges and converting fairly well off of grabs/hits into damage and/or superior stage position. however, i often lose to ice climbers especially on final destination because one solid hit from them could lead to a grab, which leads to a wobble/wobble set up, and then there goes my stock.

it's a problem because in best of 5 sets i usually get counterpicked to FD, and i can only get so many guaranteed hits after i get reads. on the other hand, it feels like the IC player can make a similar amount of reads in neutral but are guaranteed stocks after a wobble set up (correct me if i'm wrong?).

my basic strategies for this matchup are as follows:

-space in a way that respects the distance of their wavedash forward-->jab/dsmash, so i don't just get hit randomly by that stuff.
-laser to put them in shield, even if it's just for a split second.
-observe if they have a specific habit or pattern after a they tank/block a laser, and when similar scenarios occur later on in the match, try to counteract the options they commit to.
- when pressuring their shield with moves other than laser, i use dtilt, short hop shine, or late spaced aerials. basically pressuring them in a way that forces them to read me and completely commit to an option out of shield in order to counter me/escape the pressure. similarly to lasering, i try to watch what they do after i pressure the shield.
-if i'm going at them with an aerial, i aim to hit both of the ice climbers on the same frame so i don't get wrecked by having too much hitlag. especially at early percents.
-go for grabs if they are shield happy,
-if i manage a grab, i can opt for any because all grabs are pretty good in this matchup imo. i tend to favor fthrow and dthrow though. after the throw, i then watch what they do so i can develop counter strategies so that i can convert harder off of grabs.
-if they try to ice wall or use ice blocks, laser until they stop
-attempt to mash out of grabs whenever i get caught
-smash di out of the wobble setups, (my issue with this is that i don't have the 20xx hack pack, so i'm not sure of how to practice this. hitting the correct smash di every single time in a match consistently is difficult if i'm unaware of a method to practice it. and the few ice climbers players that actually do come out live far from me. however, i am aware that me not having mastery over this is not an excuse.)

the problem with some of the strategies that i've listed (like spacing moves on their shields and going in for grabs) is that in order to get a read on my opponent, i'm risking so much. at the beginning of a match, against someone i've never faced before, i usually try to figure them out fast. while i'm trying to download their habits, patterns, mixups, or anything in general with the strategies listed above, if they happen to counteract the strategy i'm doing (by just covering an option and successfully guessing right), they just have to do the set up combo into a wobble correctly and i'm dead. with most other character i can get 0-death'd, but i can usually change my position on the stage to increase my chances of surviving. i can tech, slide off platforms, aim to center stage when being chain grabbed and so forth. even though i'm obviously at a disadvantage while being hit, i have plenty of chances to change the outcome. so i'm not uncomfortable going in on most characters and making seemingly "ballsy" reads. in the end they have to make reads or properly react/adjust in order to continue their string of hits(or gimp), and i can make it really hard for them. but i feel like i can't do this against ice climbers. it actually feels like i'm playing rock paper scissors for four stocks and i'm just hoping to get the initial lead and somehow build off of that. i'd like to change that.

there are some "safe strategies" that i do, and i have seen others do, like doing certain actions while respecting their range and seeing how they react. some examples:

laser-->wavedash back
laser --> dash dance

even these have their counter strategies though and i can still end up in some sort of set up if called out while doing any of these. it is sometimes predictable to do the "safe" thing at certain points in the set, like at the start when i'm trying to figure some things out.

sorry if this sounds like i'm complaining. i am a bit tired of losing on FD to ice climbers who wobble lol.
and of course i'm not perfect, i make tech errors that get me grabbed sometimes. there are times i yolo-short hop dair into their shield and set myself up for a punish, or just do stupid things in general and get bodied for it. me making mistakes like that is something that i can fix entirely on my own, and when i lose a stock that way it's on me. in my little essay here, just assume that i am executing perfectly, i can do what i want whenever i desire to, and i'm not "yoloing".

Bones0

Smash Legend
I share a lot of the same sentiments vs. ICs that you described. I guess the biggest thing I would suggest focusing on that I am going to try next time I play ICs is to really focus on separating them to get rid of the wobble threat, but DON'T become to preoccupied with killing Nana. Trying to kill her when Popo is still alive seems too risky to be worth it unless:
1. you can shine/up-B her off the top
2. she's already close to the ledge where you can easily gimp her off the side, and by easily, I mean you have to retain your DJ solely for recovering
3. you have a stock lead and/or high % and are willing to trade for a Nana stock

As far as FD specifically is concerned, I don't think it's really that bad, you just have to play differently. PP has actually gone to FD vs. ICs in the past (vs. Fly at Evo is the most recent iirc). You just have to be more aware of getting trapped by the ledge because you don't have any platforms to retreat to. On the other hand, neither do ICs so once you get them in the air with shine/utilt, you can do some major damage keeping them in juggles and/or pushing them off stage. I don't really feel qualified enough to comment on neutral unfortunately since I'm still super uncomfortable with it. Sometimes it seems like I can SHFFL vs. them, and other times it feels like it never works regardless of how well I'm spaced because of how good their WD is and how far they get pushed in shield. There's a lot of stuff I just haven't tried though.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Last edited:

Twilight Emblem

Banned via Warnings
Hey Dr PeePee i've got a huge question
So this question is going to start at the point in your improvement where you were not god status at the game. Where you loved playing mario and in general were "I'm guessing" placing/playing around the same level constantly.

If you look back at that period where you were around the same in results and compare it to the period where you started improving dramatically at the game, what was the difference in how you were approaching getting better?

In other words could you look back in your memory with your intuition and identify and explain the concepts you introduced to your ideas of improvement that you felt were responsible to propelling your improvement to god status after playing around the same level with mario/falco for awhile?

Last edited:

orvs

Smash Cadet
I share a lot of the same sentiments vs. ICs that you described. I guess the biggest thing I would suggest focusing on that I am going to try next time I play ICs is to really focus on separating them to get rid of the wobble threat, but DON'T become to preoccupied with killing Nana. Trying to kill her when Popo is still alive seems too risky to be worth it unless:
1. you can shine/up-B her off the top
2. she's already close to the ledge where you can easily gimp her off the side, and by easily, I mean you have to retain your DJ solely for recovering
3. you have a stock lead and/or high % and are willing to trade for a Nana stock

As far as FD specifically is concerned, I don't think it's really that bad, you just have to play differently. PP has actually gone to FD vs. ICs in the past (vs. Fly at Evo is the most recent iirc). You just have to be more aware of getting trapped by the ledge because you don't have any platforms to retreat to. On the other hand, neither do ICs so once you get them in the air with shine/utilt, you can do some major damage keeping them in juggles and/or pushing them off stage. I don't really feel qualified enough to comment on neutral unfortunately since I'm still super uncomfortable with it. Sometimes it seems like I can SHFFL vs. them, and other times it feels like it never works regardless of how well I'm spaced because of how good their WD is and how far they get pushed in shield. There's a lot of stuff I just haven't tried though.

thanks for your input! when i think back to previous matches, i recall getting really thirsty to kill nana whenever i did happen to land a safe solid hit/grab. a lot of times i end up putting myself in a bad spot when i could avoid that and capitalize on other things. i'll take your advice and try to separate them without overextending the next time I fight them.

and actually your feedback helped me a bunch in regards to learning more things about the neutral vs ICs, even on FD. its all theorycraft, and i dont have answers to all of my problems yet but i got pretty deep into it haha.

like you mentioned, i could focus on separating them to remove the wobble threat without getting myself pinned in a corner. if i set up a scenario that puts nana on one side of me and popo on the other side of me (both with a decent amount of space around me so that I can commit to at least one aerial/laser safely in front of popo), this allows me to put pressure on popo, even if it is for a really brief moment. this is something that can occur quite often through grab set-ups, or if i land any tilt and then separate them.

to pressure the isolated popo, i can space dairs, nairs, and bairs, to put him in his shield without fear of getting grabbed. i could also laser--> spaced aerial/dashdance. In this brief time popo is kind of like a luigi but worse. unlike luigi, popo has a really slow fair oos, so attempting to counterattack falco with any aerial oos is out of question and falco has answers for all of popo’s other options oos. if they end up doing anything careless, they are going to eat a punish.

the only way for popo to actually directly challenge me here is to make a hard read. he has to predict when it is safe to wavedash oos forward -->______ and successfully make it through my wall of aerials and/or my feints. then he gets back with nana/converts off of the hit. it’s totally possible for popo to do it, but it is really risky for him because if he goes in at the wrong time or hesitates for a split second too long, he can eat a hard punish. i may be reaching here, but I would think that the choice that the majority of ICs players would make in this scenario would be skewed towards getting back with nana. i mean, the reason why most ICs players play ICs at all is because of the power that they possess when they are together… so in this situation it would make sense to make a choice that brings popo back to nana in the long run. careful ICs players may see through this and give her up/remain patient but there are ways around this too. i can also make popo afraid to challenge my falco at all and opt for other options (usually ones that feel more “safe”) by showing him how difficult it will be to deal with falco in the neutral and by converting really well off of hits/grabs. so in this scenario I can also commonly expect rolls as well, or popo staying in shield longer.

this whole thing seems so ridiculously simple when summarized:

-if the ICs are significantly separated and I am between them, i can still use my bread and butter tactic:
apply pressure (to popo) -->cover options-->observe behaviour --> anticipate future behaviour patterns and counter them.
-the choices that popo decides to make may initially be biased depending on the type of player they are, and how bad they want to get back with nana in the situation.
-i can influence his future decisions by inflicting a world of hurt on popo whenever he is alone.
-pressuring this way is a useful strategy when it is difficult to knock either popo or nana really far. in this scenario popo has to guess when it is ok to get back with her, and also how to get back with her. if he charges forward immediately, he might get stuffed and punished hard. if he waits too long, nana might get hit instead.
-sometimes a confident popo will strike when he thinks i will go for nana. when this happens go after popo. when popo learns about this bait, then switch it up and actually just go after nana.

i just have to account for janky stuff during this short period of time. since nana is controlled by cpu, i dont know if her behaviours are random or not. from what i’ve seen, nana can attack, grab, roll to popo, do nothing, run right by, or wait a brief amount of time before committing to any of the options i just listed. maybe she will do something depending on what actions i take. im gonna go research/test this pretty soon.

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
Apex 2015: The Doctor Is In

Is up tilt a good option to cover Fox & Falcos Sweet Spot? (If you can't get the ledge in time"
If you have enough time to turnaround utilt right at the ledge, you probably have enough time to WD onto it. That being said, utilt is a really good hitbox for hitting side-Bs, and it's decent vs. downward angled up-Bs, but it won't cover all of them. Fsmash, dsmash, and ftilt reach further out, but are riskier/slower

Last edited:

EZPZ

Smash Apprentice
Is up tilt a good option to cover Fox & Falcos Sweet Spot? (If you can't get the ledge in time"
Up tilt? I'm pretty sure it doesn't cover the sweetspot and if it does it's strict timing. Down smash is probably the best option if you can't get ledge. Or maybe a down angled forward tilt.

Edit: Looks like it does actually so I don't know what I'm talking about lol. I still think down smash might be a better option though.

Last edited:

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
How do I get wins consistently because I've been losing to Frauds and Noobs even tho I'm the better player.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
If all the ICs did was spam Fsmash, then you probably need to learn basic risk/reward, how to wavedash and l cancel. If you know how to do that, then you're probably mindlessly running into them. Try thinking when you play.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
If all the ICs did was spam Fsmash, then you probably need to learn basic risk/reward, how to wavedash and l cancel. If you know how to do that, then you're probably mindlessly running into them. Try thinking when you play.
He did a little wavedashing too. What I did was I wavedash back F-Smashed them to punish them but I didn't know when he was gonna throw it out tho.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Were you trying to read his smash attacks with smash attacks? Work on safe options, and staying out of range for him to smash attack you, then punish laggy moves on reaction. That is the better way to take that approach at least. Against ICs, I think it is harder to pressure safely, so I just opt to not pressure them. Keep your distance and take advantage of their attempts to punish you.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
Were you trying to read his smash attacks with smash attacks? Work on safe options, and staying out of range for him to smash attack you, then punish laggy moves on reaction. That is the better way to take that approach at least. Against ICs, I think it is harder to pressure safely, so I just opt to not pressure them. Keep your distance and take advantage of their attempts to punish you.
I'll try, but it will be hard since I like going in lol

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
If all you do is just go in blindly, everyone will take advantage of that so easily. In every region there is a Marth who won't stop Fsmashing, and a spacie who won't stop going in, and they are both free.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
If all you do is just go in blindly, everyone will take advantage of that so easily. In every region there is a Marth who won't stop Fsmashing, and a spacie who won't stop going in, and they are both free.
I can play defensive but its just....IDK. I'm just fast (Similar to Axe and Westballz)

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
You have to learn to walk before you can run. If you're losing to an ICs who throws out smashes, you're not that similar to those players yet.

Twilight Emblem

Banned via Warnings
Edit- Do we have any raw footage or understanding of how isai trained at the game/smash in general? I found a few drills he did on ssb64 on a channel of his but I can't find much else. I'd like to try and see how well his ideas on training could transfer to improvements for myself in melee.

Last edited:

EZPZ

Smash Apprentice
Westballz and Axe are fast but they aren't mindlessly aggressive. They use their movement to bait out openings that they take advantage of. They rarely force anything. Speed is good but it's useless if you aren't doing anything with it. Coming at someone constantly at 100 mph is just as predictable and punishable as coming at someone at 5 mph.

oliman

Smash Journeyman
I haven't perused the falco discussion thread in some time so idk if video critiques are still ok to post here, but I'll do it anyway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2_rKghXl8A

Little nitpicking is appreciated, but what I'm interested in is the gestalt, and just overall fundamental things that I'm missing or failing to take advantage of.

Also, a question: how does one effectively improve one's punish game? I know Armada said that's the most important aspect to develop, but I don't know how to train for a better punish game. I tried recording in a notebook what combos work on what character, but combos are really so situational that writing it down doesn't help except maybe on FD.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I haven't perused the falco discussion thread in some time so idk if video critiques are still ok to post here, but I'll do it anyway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2_rKghXl8A

Little nitpicking is appreciated, but what I'm interested in is the gestalt, and just overall fundamental things that I'm missing or failing to take advantage of.

Also, a question: how does one effectively improve one's punish game? I know Armada said that's the most important aspect to develop, but I don't know how to train for a better punish game. I tried recording in a notebook what combos work on what character, but combos are really so situational that writing it down doesn't help except maybe on FD.
I don't have time to do a full critique unfortunately, but for improving your punish game, you simply have to rewatch your videos to figure out how your combo ended. Maybe you are bairing really early in combos so you never rack up damage, and maybe you are dairing all the time so you never end your combos with the opponent off stage. I try to categorize my combos in that spectrum of damage vs. positioning and figure out where I'm lacking. Once you figure out what is wrong with your combos, you can experiment with different things to improve that aspect.

Top Bottom