• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

D

Deleted member

Cactus how can you best explain Marth's psychological advantages? Range positioning and grab mix ups are really dangerous. What are his major disadvantages?
marth's major disadvantage is that you don't have to respect his psychological advantages. marth without the fear factor is a fairly mediocre character.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
at first I just wanted to call bull**** on rubyiris for saying that he can time fastfalls on every other character in the game but not falco..i mean in my mind you can either do it for every char and every aerial in the game or you can't do it period...

however, maybe it's possible that he's just super focusing on his character when he plays other characters and therefore focuses on tech skill more, but then fails when he plays in real matches due to focusing more on matchup specific things

edit: oh yeah, i was actually going to suggest going in training mode and doing the starman training more..that's how i learned

Metakill

Smash Journeyman
can I post a video of my fox just to you guys tell me what char is better for me?

btw, what is the best way to jump out of shine on shield pressure?

:phone:

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
at first I just wanted to call bull**** on rubyiris for saying that he can time fastfalls on every other character in the game but not falco..i mean in my mind you can either do it for every char and every aerial in the game or you can't do it period...

however, maybe it's possible that he's just super focusing on his character when he plays other characters and therefore focuses on tech skill more, but then fails when he plays in real matches due to focusing more on matchup specific things

edit: oh yeah, i was actually going to suggest going in training mode and doing the starman training more..that's how i learned
I'm trying to RETRAIN myself. My problem is that I somehow lost like all falco tech skill practically overnight back in April, and any practice I do doesn't make a difference in-game. When it comes to training mode I can do just about anything space animals are capable of.

Any other character I play isn't affected by this apparent mental block.

If you call BS and don't want to.help, then that's your problem.
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Bones0

Smash Legend
can I post a video of my fox just to you guys tell me what char is better for me?

Y

I'm trying to RETRAIN myself. My problem is that I somehow lost like all falco tech skill practically overnight back in April, and any practice I do doesn't make a difference in-game. When it comes to training mode I can do just about anything space animals are capable of.

When I'm feeling rusty or w/e, I like to go back to basics and super exaggerate timings. Like I will do super early or super late aerials/lasers, and instead of trying to just plow over a comp, I will try to hit him with a single precise move, and do one at a time. Also doing easy-mode combos like Falcon on FD can help you get back in a groove.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord

Get a better ****ing phone.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Give me $300. No contract phones are expensive.

@bones: it.feels.pretty.bad when I.can't even do.generic.bnb combos.to falcon after 4 years of gg7/jetfour experience.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer

The decision is up to you. Right now your skill with each character may not matter too much.

The best way to jump out of shine is what is fastest+most reliable for you.

If your tech skill is perfect in training mode, is it also perfect when you practice on people with starman on or a high handicap? If so, then maybe emotion gets in your way when you play, or some other human factor like focusing on the end result of the match limits your ability to recall your training properly. Your training, done correctly, should make it easier to perform well in actual play.

If it is your main and no one else, perhaps you have some bad habits caused by how you usually play that training cannot override without lots of effort on your part. For that, I would suggest either a break or focusing only on fixing tech skill when you play and not the end result of the matches.

dear PP,

you **** me

<3
-brookman
haha I'm just playin the game man

<3

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
if your problem is just being out of shape just practicing movement should be enough to get back in the grove..what you're describing though sounds like you are off in match cause you are trying to focus on your opponent but can't perform properly when looking at a live opponent..pracice keeping your eyes off your character at all times while comboing your opponent in training mode..and definitely do the starman training I recommended.

I definitely sympathize with losing your tech skill from not playing for a while, i merely don't think it realistic when you say that your tech skill is flawless with every other character except your main.. more likely you either don't notice when you miss tech skill when playing other characters
or you just overfocus on tech skill when playing secondaries and are probably doing everything else wrong. I'm just saying your description of your problem seems highly implausible.

even PP's mario has significantly more tech skill errors in matches than when you play his marth, falcon, falco. or at least it did the last time i watched him use his mario against mahone's jiggs.

Anyway, I gave good advice. starman training and not looking at the comp while you practice should fix your problem, unless your actual problem is just being overwhelmed by better opponents. but assuming near equal skill level i think the two things i suggested should help..

what you are describing still seems weird though. I've had days where tech skill was off before after not playing for a while, but 6-8 hrs of training mode always cured my problems, so I'm wondering if maybe your training itself is not being done properly

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium

It's true. I, at least, try to wait in shield if it gets aerialed, and if my shield gets lasered, I want to react right away, to do something to him in the lag if I can, or reposition myself so I'm not locked down.

I need to mix it up. :(

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
lasers wear down shields..it's only natural to want to move..also bad falcos almost always screw up their spacing way too much while coming in with lasers.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
leffen see you know better than this

I'm letting you off with a warning this time

BUT THAT ICE PART LMFAOOOOIUHSUIGHLDFGHGFHID;

get ur religion dunked on dude

Bones0

Smash Legend
It's okay, we forgive you. These things happun.

@Hbox
Ask Mahone for tips vs. Falco.

Then do the opposite of what he says cause my Falco dumps on him. :troll:

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Starman training doesn't seem to help me.

I am disappoint. I want to combo people with the bird. :c

I should probably just quit falco and play falcon or something. :/

Bones0

Smash Legend
Nah, just stop being emo, bro. You should lift weights or exercise or something. I can tell from my own emo experiences that you will play 10x worse if you have no adrenaline working for you (like even friendlies-level adrenaline). If you go for a short jog and eat a healthy meal, I guarantee when you sit down to play Melee you'll do better.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I hate adrenaline. It wrecks havoc on my body.

My health is actually really good. I've been dieting heavily for 11 months. The only thing that could be better was if I exercised, but I hate the **** out of exercise for the sake of exercise. I'm the kind that gets bored and fails to complete a workout because it just isn't fun and I can't motivate myself to work harder without enjoyment. I'm the type that if I can get a group of friends together, I'll outwork them at any sport, even if they're in better shape than me, because that's what I enjoy, and it keeps me motivated.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I hate adrenaline. It wrecks havoc on my body.

My health is actually really good. I've been dieting heavily for 11 months. The only thing that could be better was if I exercised, but I hate the **** out of exercise for the sake of exercise. I'm the kind that gets bored and fails to complete a workout because it just isn't fun and I can't motivate myself to work harder without enjoyment. I'm the type that if I can get a group of friends together, I'll outwork them at any sport, even if they're in better shape than me, because that's what I enjoy, and it keeps me motivated.

I'm literally the SAME exact way. I've tried exercising, but it's just so damn boring. But that's the cost of growing up in our generation where our brains get overstimulated by nonsense 24/7. If you really can't muster the fortitude to exercise, then maybe try putting more pressure on yourself by MMing (even for just a dollar), or just psych yourself up before playing with affirmations like "I'm going to ****ing destroy this person relentlessly." The power of self-persuasion should never be underestimated.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I try that but then my neveres wreck my ****. The moment I get an adrenaline rush, I get destroyed both in game, and in life.

Adrenaline causes me to lose my coordination, and often times my lunch.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I would do some research and see how you can get adrenaline to work for you. Maybe it is something biological with your body that nerves make you uneasy, but it's quite commonly accepted that humans perform better under stress, but only when we are competent at what we are doing. If you are a noob, pressure will definitely make you play worse, but you're good enough that pressure should be making you play better. If it isn't, then it may be some mental block where you revert to nooby tactics because of the stress scaring you. It's pretty much what PP was talking about a while ago (or maybe it was in his SR interview, can't remember).

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
When I'm stressed, I can't rely on my impressive muscle memory tech because of the adrenaline, and I can't think well because of.the stress/fear. t's a terrible feeling.

I have hypoglycemia, so it just might not be possible for me to deal with adrenaline like a normal person.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I would suggest looking into ways to reduce or even eliminate stress then. I'm sure there are plenty of methods for achieving that robot-like state some people play in. Not everyone's the same for this kinda stuff, so it's just a matter of finding what works for you.

Got a bo7 (no bans, DSRm) rematch set vs. Epsilon/♥'s Peach. Any advice or critique is welcome. :D

♥ (Peach) vs. Bones (Falco)

I think I played a lot smarter than last time we played. I utilized grabs a lot better, but I felt like I could have grabbed even more, especially since I was getting decent punishes off of my uthrows. Spacing wise I felt comfortable, but I was definitely impatient a few times where I didn't need to rush in (like when I'm holding down mid). Punishment-wise, I felt stronger than before, but there's still a lot of times where I wasn't punishing optimally because of missing the DI chase after high dairs. I think it's mostly input awkwardness because of a lack of exp vs. floaties, so maybe that just goes away over time.

Top Bottom