• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I like how Intuition accuses Kevin of meatriding Mango, yet he can't see DaShizWiz's **** going so far down Kevin's throat it's coming out of his ***.

He must not actually know Kevin.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
I like how Intuition accuses Kevin of meatriding Mango, yet he can't see DaShizWiz's **** going so far down Kevin's throat it's coming out of his ***.

He must not actually know Kevin.
LOLOLOL yes. this.

p.s. i just realized that "chivalruse" is a sick *** name.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Sit in training mode on FD and just keep doing it, reset when you SD

To get the best ledgedashes you drop and instantly hit jump, then immediately airdodge

Instantly jumping after you drop is the most important part because if you jump late you'll die if you airdodge at the proper timing

When you get better at it ledgedashing just becomes one motion basically ... quartercircle on the control stick while basically just squeezing your right hand together

The timing is a little like Fox's wavedash

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Sit in training mode on FD and just keep doing it, reset when you SD

To get the best ledgedashes you drop and instantly hit jump, then immediately airdodge

Instantly jumping after you drop is the most important part because if you jump late you'll die if you airdodge at the proper timing

When you get better at it ledgedashing just becomes one motion basically ... quartercircle on the control stick while basically just squeezing your right hand together

The timing is a little like Fox's wavedash
I dunno why but I still suck at it even after trying this **** a lot :p. Meh, maybe I just gotta do it every day for like a week or something, that's how I beat doubleshine muscle memory into my head.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Also to see if you're jumping fast enough just do some ledgehops and see how far you drop / how high you get

Clearing Battlefield platforms with a ledgehop is a decent indication of whether or not you're pressing jump fast enough (not sure if you can do Dreamland ones)

I'm not sure how much is a lot when you say a lot haha
When I first learned about ledgedashing and how good it was with Fox I just went into FD and just tried ledgedashing for like 30 minutes at a time

I'm at the point now where I can get a lot of invincibility fairly consistently ... upsmashing people through charged smashes and junk is mad satisfying

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I know I jump fast enough because I do all that silly Forward B **** on BF and PS consistently, I just suck at getting the air dodge fast enough and in the right direction I think. It's stupid useful though, definitely need to beat it into my head.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Is your problem not getting invincibility or suiciding?

Could try wavedashing around with Fox and just think of it as a wavedash with a down input before you wavedash, Fox's jump is fast enough that the timings are comparable, that's how I first imagined the timing

Also make sure you're not pressing down too fast but it doesn't sound like that's the problem you're having

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
The problem I have with ledge dashing is getting off the ledge quick enough to make use of the invincibility. I usually try dropping down too early, and then I stay on the ledge. =P

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I don't get invincibility when I do it consistently because I never trained myself to care about precise timing when I was learning smash years ago. When I try to get invincibility, I either suicide or am too high when I air dodge and thus waste my invulnerability before I land.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Heres what i've come to find about the ledgedash:

its really hard to airdodge too early. Like, he has a 1 frame second jump ffs, and it takes a few fractions of a second to clear the edge and be onstage. Most people think of ledgedashing as being super risky for suiciding, but its actually pretty hard to suicide once you get used to it.

the hardest part (for me) is falling from the ledge quickly to preserve as much invicibility as possible, and then jumping. Hence, my most frequent problem with the ledgedash is jumping too early (while im in my ledgegrab animation still) and getting that terrible standard ledge jump, which isnt as bad as straight up sd'ing.

This is my opinion and how i got much better at it. Once i understood that its actually pretty hard to airdodge "too fast", then i got way better. hopefully this makes sense?

Also, lets talk about ledgehop bair -> regrab (without landing or upbing). its so freaking baller and covers so many options.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
What I try to do when I'm about to grab the ledge is clear my head of everything and don't input anything until you can ledgehop, and at that point you just do it - no thinking about it or anything

Also make sure you have the timing in your head beforehand because you want to be mentally prepared for the input and not be thinking about other things

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)

its really hard to airdodge too early. Like, he has a 1 frame second jump ffs, and it takes a few fractions of a second to clear the edge and be onstage. Most people think of ledgedashing as being super risky for suiciding, but its actually pretty hard to suicide once you get used to it.

the hardest part (for me) is falling from the ledge quickly to preserve as much invicibility as possible, and then jumping. Hence, my most frequent problem with the ledgedash is jumping too early (while im in my ledgegrab animation still) and getting that terrible standard ledge jump, which isnt as bad as straight up sd'ing.

This is my opinion and how i got much better at it. Once i understood that its actually pretty hard to airdodge "too fast", then i got way better. hopefully this makes sense?

Also, lets talk about ledgehop bair -> regrab (without landing or upbing). its so freaking baller and covers so many options.
This is really key. It's really the ledge jump that's the crucial part; the airdodge itself is very easy and perfectly natural. It's just like how when you do a wavedash with fox, your airdodge is pretty much the same motion as your jump. Practice ledgejumping as fast as you can first, then work in the airdodge.

Again, if you hit jump fast enough after releasing the edge, you can essentially airdodge immediately and go near horizontal and it won't be too early.

I saw Sion use the ledgehop bair -> regrab vs. SW in that recent set. It did look cool. My concern though is that its super risky if they actually aim for the edge, cause they'll grab it before you. I feel like you can usually achieve the same option coverage without that risk by doing a regular ledgehop bair -> landing -> hitting them if they angled upwards.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I saw Sion use the ledgehop bair -> regrab vs. SW in that recent set. It did look cool. My concern though is that its super risky if they actually aim for the edge, cause they'll grab it before you. I feel like you can usually achieve the same option coverage without that risk by doing a regular ledgehop bair -> landing -> hitting them if they angled upwards.
depends on the situation. Sometimes the spacing is just so that when you go for the regular bair->land->hit them strategy, their firebird ends right at the edge or a little past it and then they can fast fall to the edge or DI backwards, thus causing you to miss. otherwise i agree. I've thought about doing ledgehop bairs->wd back to the edge to cover this.

and yea, the sion vs sw set was what made me bring it up.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord

yeah recognizing that i actually wasn't in much danger of killing myself allowed me to do this (and lhdl) more consistently

the spirit of boback
LOL. ask brandon about "the julian"

Maybe

Smash Cadet
So I've been practicing the Zhu: waveshine turnaround bair. The problem isn't getting off the edge, my problem is that sometimes, I'll drop exactly like how Zhu does it, but other times, I'll stumble through the air.

Is there a way to fix this?

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i'm too lazy to catch up on this thread.

but i love falco... so i wanted to leave a shout out.

YO WUT UP FALCO

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
So I've been practicing the Zhu: waveshine turnaround bair. The problem isn't getting off the edge, my problem is that sometimes, I'll drop exactly like how Zhu does it, but other times, I'll stumble through the air.

Is there a way to fix this?
If you fall off the edge in tumble, it means you were shielding when you slid off the edge

make sure to let go sooner I guess?

Top Bottom