• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Chain Grab List

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Drew your a dyck why dont you just switch to MK already.

j/k

Marth is one of the harder chars for falco to cg. as you learn to boost grab it will become easier.

do you know how to boost grab?

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
I think that boost grabbing with falco is a myth.
How is boost pivot grabbing a myth? It's a real technique and is a very good technique to know how to do. Especialy on Marth and MK because they both have up specials that get in the way of the normal straight walking chain grab. Also flashy.

How is boost pivot grabbing a myth? It's a real technique and is a very good technique to know how to do. Especialy on Marth and MK because they both have up specials that get in the way of the normal straight walking chain grab. Also flashy.
Well, this is my thought after having done frame advance testing with Falco.

If you attempt a regular dash grab vs a dash attack canceled grab (boost grab), the difference is very minimal. It's not a significant boost when you compare pivot grab to boost pivot grab. So, I thought Falco might not have a boost grab that is actually of any different length and I tried looking for it in frame advance.

A boost grab would like like this:
Frame 0: Shove control stick
Frame 1: Dash starts. Input dsmash to make a dash attack come out.
Frame 2: Dash Attack starts. Input grab command.
Frame 3: Go into dash grab animation.
Frame 13: Can catch opponent with grab.

A regular dash grab can be done more quickly.
Frame 0: Shove control stick
Frame 1: Dash starts. Input grab.
Frame 2: Go into grab animation
Frame 12: Can catch opponent with grab.

When I compared these actions with each other, the boost grab did go a bit noticeably further. However, I when I delayed the regular dash grab by one more extra frame to match the boost grab action, the distances between the two looked extremely identical.

So, in short, I think dash attack canceling isn't even needed at all. The real "boost" in the dash grab comes from how many frames you delay between starting a dash and doing a grab. Performing a dash attack cancel grab mostly is useful for timing if anything, but doesn't actually give you a boost I believe.

swordsaint

Smash Master
seems like a pointless assessment, and it came from a totally misguided understanding of falcos boost grab to begin with.

long story short, keep on boost grabbing.

swordsaint

Smash Master
confused

10confuused
all i met was, if what he found is true, it doesn't matter since the boost grab is more reliable and easier. and the only reason he found it, was because he didnt think that the boost grab really did anything.

so basically him being wrong about the boost grab led him to find something irrelevant.

no offense to xeylode or anything, but people will continue boost chain grabbing even if what you say is true because like i said it's easier and more consistent.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
all i met was, if what he found is true, it doesn't matter since the boost grab is more reliable and easier. and the only reason he found it, was because he didnt think that the boost grab really did anything.

so basically him being wrong about the boost grab led him to find something irrelevant.

no offense to xeylode or anything, but people will continue boost chain grabbing even if what you say is true because like i said it's easier and more consistent.
Well it's easier for you. People have different ways of executing the same things, especially with different controls lmao. Look at the 5 million ways we all do dacus/bdacus.

to be honest I start dash grabbing a bit later than I normally would and Mr.R couldnt get out and I was wondering why. i probably will continue to boost grab but it's just a good thing to know...

Swordsaint is right. It is still generally useless to know about this. For most people that is.
I just think that it might be interesting to see if Falco's CGs could be extended by delaying his dash grab a little bit longer on people rather than simply buffering stuff. I recall a few people toying with the idea of it on Olimar at one point.

M@v

Subarashii!
Ryker I all ready knew that it's just an example of which character can do up special out of or in between Falco's chain grab. OK?
You don't even need to buffer vs mk. A better example is marth.

From 0%, you get 3 grabs that must be buffered, or you get upbd in the face. Each one gets harder to time right too. If marth's at 1%, he can upb out of the 3rd grab even if you buffer. I usually just take the two grabs to dair, especially if I'm higher percent. I don't land the 3rd buffered grab consistently enough to make it worth it to me. You can also play some mind games and run up shield. Marth Upbs, then you can do whatever you want to him.

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
You don't even need to buffer vs mk. A better example is marth.

From 0%, you get 3 grabs that must be buffered, or you get upbd in the face. Each one gets harder to time right too. If marth's at 1%, he can upb out of the 3rd grab even if you buffer. I usually just take the two grabs to dair, especially if I'm higher percent. I don't land the 3rd buffered grab consistently enough to make it worth it to me. You can also play some mind games and run up shield. Marth Upbs, then you can do whatever you want to him.
I never said you had to buffer on MK it's just an example, but Marth is more difficult to cg so I would do the same 2 cg's to dair to gatling combo.

Tearbear

Smash Ace
why dont i ever see characters getting CG 6 times i usually only see 4 then a spike or mix up of some kind

M@v

Subarashii!
If you extend the cg to its maximum amount of grabs, they fly too far to allow any sort of guaranteed followup. If you do it to one grab before the max, the dair plus any sort of followup gives them more damage than just the extra grab. Also unless they tech the dair, that puts them into a tech chase situation. You can always nair/upsmash and gattling combo(on heavies/fast fallers)

People can also start DIing the throw after a certain percent. I'm not sure why it acts as fixed knockback for the first few throws.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
why dont i ever see characters getting CG 6 times i usually only see 4 then a spike or mix up of some kind
^^ what they said.

also. you don't always get the grab at 0%... so you kinda just have to feel it out sometimes and guess when they can get out.

that and people suck

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
This is a little note, if we end the CG on Oli at 3 D-throws, and follow up with a Dair, he can Usmash us before the Dair finished/ Falco can get away.
Meaning, any character with a Move 7 frames or Faster can hit us.
Although, I don't see why anyone would end it that early.
If we end the CG two D-throws before max, and Dair, they can Punish us.
CPU Oli's get me a lot with it.

Top Bottom