• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Falco: Approaches and Combos/Strings

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
I've done something similar with my friend, I think it was up-throw>nair, falling nair onto the scrolling platform, dropped through the platform to connect a fair for the kill after reading the recovery. It was on Smashville too. A strong Falco can manage to do some crazy stuff at low percent that can possibly lead to a kill with a good read.
All it takes is one good opening...

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Yeah falling, upair its not something you can spam, but, its not really so unsafe either, if spaced it correctly its realatibely safe on shield....also, you can set up these combos with dtilt as well instead of falling upair, but you have to hit them with the hitbox closest to Falcos body...on other characters like DK and C.falcon, you can combo d-throw into full hop upair and then fair or bair, but i think it depends on DI, it wont kill but its a lot of free damage....

Also i was playing a friend yesterday he was DR. Mario and we where figthing in smashvill, he was at 0%, i did a falling upair then, dtilt, full hop into fair, then landed on plataform that was off stage and did another fair into the deadzone, it killed, it was a cool 0% to death combo, although i think he could have airdodged the second fair....anyways just wanted to share this to show falling upair potential.
Yeah, I never denied falling u-air has potential, I love the tool, personally, I just know it's not the most reliable tool Falco has. lol

Personally, I prefer (the) n-air (bread:4falco:bread) strings because I find u-air awkward to work with. It's a minor hurdle on my part, but I'll get there. U-airs combo building potential is something I definitely don't scoff at so forgetting about it would be a huge mistake.

FMHappy

Smash Cadet
How do you hit short characters with SHFF bair? I always seem to miss. Either that or the hitbox stays out but doesn't deal damage even when touching their body.

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
You just have to delay your bair input, it takes a little bit of practice.
Sometimes getting the late hit leads to another follow-up if you read what your opponent does, so be sure to mix it up.

Last edited:

Slickfate

Smash Rookie
NNID
Slikfate
3DS FC
0447-8773-9657
While I was trying to find Falco combos, I found that turn around short hop up air after dthrow works against a lot of the sm4sh cast. I found one combo that is true through the whole duration it is performed here:
This is the only true combo I've found so far.
I think dthrow to up air would be great for strings, and possibly even kill setups!

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
While I was trying to find Falco combos, I found that turn around short hop up air after dthrow works against a lot of the sm4sh cast. I found one combo that is true through the whole duration it is performed here:
This is the only true combo I've found so far.
I think dthrow to up air would be great for strings, and possibly even kill setups!
Merged with the approach and combo thread. D-throw to Uair is kind of iffy because of how Falco's Uair works. For one, you're forced to hit with the back part if you want the earliest hit since Falco does a front flip unlike everyone else, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Kirby, Luigi, (Dr.) Mario, and ZSS - maybe more I'm missing -, who do backflips. The other issue is that Falco's Uair hitbox starts a bit higher up unlike the other where it's pretty much feet level, so trying to flick someone up won't be as easy. That said, his Uair, especially the back hit, is a good setup into other moves along with being a good frame trap to Bair.

Edit: The back of Falco... Still one of the most dangerous places to be in.

Edit 2: Edit Harder: Footstool to Fire Bird... Really? Well, there's one use I guess: https://youtu.be/U_am58FSxHs.

This one's made before Falco's Dair gained a grounded/airborne check, so I don't know if it'll work, but D-throw to Ftilt to cause a reset is demonstrated here: https://youtu.be/hDvQMz65GMw.

Last edited:

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
Something Ive been meaning to test with falco. There have been times when i fast fall weak dair someone and they shield ive landed with no lag. I think its because the shield lag let my dair finish in the air. I messed with it and found that theres is a timing you can do to land with no lag from a full hop ff dair if they shield or get hit by weak dair and land with lag if you dont. Could this be a good neutral tool?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Y'know, it'd be nice if I knew if War Chief has an account here or something - probably has a Twitter... Anyway, this was uploaded on Nov. 19: https://youtu.be/tSlmncIqowc.

It's got your usual D-throw to Bair, falling Uair to Uair to Fair, Dtilt to Uair, D-throw to Dair to Ftilt resets, and other common Falco stuff. What's interesting is falling Uair to Dair which actually registered as a true combo. It might only work on fast fallers since Roy was the dummy, but this pretty much solidifies that Uair leads to everything.

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
Hey guys, Been quite some time since I've been in the Falco boards, I kinda put him on hold for other character development.

Anyways, I was curious to know if Falco had any footstool setups. I get some footstools at low % out of down throw, but that's about it.

Down throw > PP UTilt or RAR Bair are obviously better option but just wondering.

multisefef

Smash Rookie
I have found some Combos that i belie haven't been mentioned
DThrow>RAR Bair on Super heavys= Jab lock
DThrow>RAR Dair

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
Jab lock?

What do you mean by jab lock
When opponents do not tech their falls and you lock them in place with their 3 lasers to force a get up for free damage.

Or 2 downward angled F-Tilts.

Some easy early jab lock setups i like to do are from 0% on a fast faller or even a heavy Dthrow - Walk up downward Angled F-tilt 2X - (Regrab) Upthrow - UAIR 2X - Bair. Really messes with their head

At 40% you can Fthrow to 3 lasers if they do not tech walk u p to an upsmash or regrab however you choose

dao

Smash Cadet
When opponents do not tech their falls and you lock them in place with their 3 lasers to force a get up for free damage.

Or 2 downward angled F-Tilts.

Some easy early jab lock setups i like to do are from 0% on a fast faller or even a heavy Dthrow - Walk up downward Angled F-tilt 2X - (Regrab) Upthrow - UAIR 2X - Bair. Really messes with their head

At 40% you can Fthrow to 3 lasers if they do not tech walk u p to an upsmash or regrab however you choose
I'm aware of how the jab locks work but you were saying they can start it with a d-throw to RAR bair? I know you can regrab after RAR bair but not laser lock

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
I'm aware of how the jab locks work but you were saying they can start it with a d-throw to RAR bair? I know you can regrab after RAR bair but not laser lock
na i didnt say that the guy above me and you did lol. I think he meant like Pseudo chain grab effect not jab lock. i know on battlefield the soft hit of bair can cause a slide animation and lock.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Someone made a video on some resets you can do with Falco.

BlazingRamen

Smash Rookie
We don't, but it's a solid mixup. Jab 1 or 2 into Dtilt or grab is a works well against much of the cast. Jab 1 is slightly better on hit than jab 2 though.

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
We don't, but it's a solid mixup. Jab 1 or 2 into Dtilt or grab is a works well against much of the cast. Jab 1 is slightly better on hit than jab 2 though.
Oh, that's a bummer. SHFF Nair can confirm into jab on Fox all the way up to 140% (True combo)

SHFF Nair Cancel > Jab > DSmash.

Haven't got to test it with someone trying to escape it by jumping or nairing, I'll keep digging. Making a video soon of my findings.

Last edited:

AviaRy

Smash Cadet
NNID
robobondi
Oh, that's a bummer. SHFF Nair can confirm into jab on Fox all the way up to 140% (True combo)

SHFF Nair Cancel > Jab > DSmash.

Haven't got to test it with someone trying to escape it by jumping or nairing, I'll keep digging. Making a video soon of my findings.
That doesn't actually work, having tried it myself. It's a pretty good mixup that can land you a dtilt, jab combo, or grab...

But it is definitely not a true combo. If they see it coming, most characters can jab their way out before Falco has a chance to do anything.

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
That doesn't actually work, having tried it myself. It's a pretty good mixup that can land you a dtilt, jab combo, or grab...

But it is definitely not a true combo. If they see it coming, most characters can jab their way out before Falco has a chance to do anything.
I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing, unless you mean the DSmash isn't true which I know. But Nair to jab is a true combo. The last hit of Nair sends them flying at that percent. When you jab to stop their momentum from flying off stage they are not on the ground and in hit stun.

Try it again, facing away from fox. I promise it works lol

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Can anyone test to see if Nair(all hits besides the last) into down smash is a true combo with rage?

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
Can anyone test to see if Nair(all hits besides the last) into down smash is a true combo with rage?
I think only the last hit of Nair puts opponents in hitstun. So I don't think 1-3 hit Nair can True combo into anything. I also think that if your not canceling Nair off last hit you will have some lag. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

dao

Smash Cadet
I think only the last hit of Nair puts opponents in hitstun. So I don't think 1-3 hit Nair can True combo into anything. I also think that if your not canceling Nair off last hit you will have some lag. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Correct! You can use Nair FF but it won't be a true combo. You can still dsmash jab or use tilts if they don't react fast enough.

Last edited:

nedskii-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nedskii
Switch FC
6236-0030-3158
At high percents, short hop nair at peak of jump with fast fall into up smash is guarenteed and will kill. 100%ish range

AviaRy

Smash Cadet
NNID
robobondi
At high percents, short hop nair at peak of jump with fast fall into up smash is guarenteed and will kill. 100%ish range
As Dao and ToTs said, hits 1-3 of nair don't put characters into hitstun, so I'm confused as to how this is garanteed. Can you post a video or some such of you doing this with someone else DI'ing/attempting to jab as soon as they land?

I've personally tested FFnair and found that they can almost always jab you if they time it correctly (or just spam a).

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
As Dao and ToTs said, hits 1-3 of nair don't put characters into hitstun, so I'm confused as to how this is garanteed. Can you post a video or some such of you doing this with someone else DI'ing/attempting to jab as soon as they land?

I've personally tested FFnair and found that they can almost always jab you if they time it correctly (or just spam a).
If you hit the last hit of Nair right before landing, Falco will have no landing lag. I'm assuming there is just enough time to U-Smash the opponent.

SilverQuik24

Smash Rookie
NNID
Silverquik24

I'm interested in any proof concerning kill confirms. Make sure you use someone with a 1 frame jab.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

There is hit stun, but it's set because of set knockback - hits 1 to 3 are loop hits after all. The problem is this: the game actually tells you can land before hit 4 of Nair and immediately go into jab like how the game tells us how you can fast fall Fox's Fair, but instead of landing before the last hit, they advise to land with the last hit to followup. The Wii U in-game tips says and I quote: "Standard Air Attack – If you land just before the final attack in Falco's midair combo, you can move straight into a standard combo on the ground." Source: http://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_tips_(SSB4-Wii_U)#Falco. Problem? I rarely see it happen and when it does happen, it's really hard to notice how they do it since it's Nair, land, immediate jab. The Japanese players pull this off sporadically and Falco players in general land with the last hit instead to chain Nairs.

Piipp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZebraJammiez
3DS FC
2681-1864-8125
I have not seen many Falcos use this that much. However, playing in tourney and with my friends, I noticed that using this could be a really good option for combo-ing off of uair. Combos such as, Dtilt - RAR Uair - Bair, Uthrow - Uair (back part) - Bair. The main idea really is to combo off of the back part of Uair. But, I feel like I haven't used it enough to know if it's better or worse for combo-ing than just a regular uair.

eshu125

Smash Apprentice
RAR up-airs are key for sure. Not just because of the follow-ups out of it, but also because it messes with your opponent's DI

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I'd prefer it if you posted here: http://smashboards.com/threads/falco-approaches-and-combos-strings.372417/, instead of making a thread just to ask about one move.
I have not seen many Falcos use this that much. However, playing in tourney and with my friends, I noticed that using this could be a really good option for combo-ing off of uair. Combos such as, Dtilt - RAR Uair - Bair, Uthrow - Uair (back part) - Bair. The main idea really is to combo off of the back part of Uair. But, I feel like I haven't used it enough to know if it's better or worse for combo-ing than just a regular uair.
The initial back of hit of Uair can setup Bair while the front hit can setup another Uair or Nair or Fair. The center hit which sends people mostly vertical is where you'd want to hit for kills high up, but you could confirm another Uair since it just sends people almost straight up. Eh, going to say that most people are hitting for the sake of hitting. Just get comfortable with how moves work with any character and notice where it sends your opponent. Frame data helps with the exact angles and such, but you can still get a feel with how stuff works.

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
Sometimes during a RAR Bair I like to do a B reverse laser. I use it mostly after a Dthrow - RAR bair on the edge. It doesn't always connect but it helps mess with opponents. They can either airdodge, jump or get hit and all three can manipulate their recoveries and lead to easy gimps or spikes.

Edit: just saw this on youtube they utilize what I'm speaking of around 0:35
https://youtu.be/lh7bdRR5mzg

Last edited:

CHIEf

Smash Rookie
The tip for standard air attack is not even a true combo. It's really bad advice since most characters can jab or shield you during the landing lag.

HiFlo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hi.Flo
3DS FC
1865-1068-2662
Wow, that Dthrow -> RAR Bair -> B-reverse laser looks ballin, for style alone i need to add that to the mix good looks

Lasers are fun offstage because hit or miss they force your opponent's hand like you were saying. In addition to that, they have to start thinking about lasers when you arent facing them which works in your favor.

Sometimes during a RAR Bair I like to do a B reverse laser. I use it mostly after a Dthrow - RAR bair on the edge. It doesn't always connect but it helps mess with opponents. They can either airdodge, jump or get hit and all three can manipulate their recoveries and lead to easy gimps or spikes.

Edit: just saw this on youtube they utilize what I'm speaking of around 0:35
https://youtu.be/lh7bdRR5mzg

Last edited:

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
Wow, that Dthrow -> RAR Bair -> B-reverse laser looks ballin, for style alone i need to add that to the mix good looks

Lasers are fun offstage because hit or miss they force your opponent's hand like you were saying. In addition to that, they have to start thinking about lasers when you arent facing them which works in your favor.
Yeah man I know right. Really mastering the timing of the b reversal is key. Or else you'll phantasm off stage and possibly at that point you may not have a jump lol

SilverQuik24

Smash Rookie
NNID
Silverquik24
How come I never get the uair to true combo from uthrow. Am I not buffering enough or what? People always seem to airdodge.

CHIEf

Smash Rookie
How come I never get the uair to true combo from uthrow. Am I not buffering enough or what? People always seem to airdodge.
It won't work on every character at just any percent. Some characters need damage built up first like lighter ones. I can't give specific characters at thr moment but the timing and spacing of the uair does take some lab practice.

HiFlo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hi.Flo
3DS FC
1865-1068-2662
Yeah man I know right. Really mastering the timing of the b reversal is key. Or else you'll phantasm off stage and possibly at that point you may not have a jump lol
I know right?! The funny part is that because his laser is so slow to shoot it actually feels easier to b-reverse it loll

Last edited:

zzmorg82

Smash Apprentice
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch FC
2476 2506 3411
These resets that MrDanish did with Falco are amazing.

Top Bottom