• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fair to Wolf Flash true combo is weird.

Qualudes

Smash Cadet
Tl;dr - With perfect spacing Fair to Flash works on most of the cast from around 30-70, but useful percentage range is between 40-60.
Fair to FH Flash is potentially true starting at around 75-80 all the way to 100 or higher depending on character.

Fair to Flash is a terrible move to lab. I intended on doing a break down in the same way that I compiled data for Dthrow to Flash but Forward-air is insane. I did not appreciate how much range Wolf's Fair has until I labbed this for about an hour on part of the cast. The only way that I could see to get a consistent data set was to neutral short-hop (as in no movement left or right), falling Fair at max range (not buffered), into buffered Wolf Flash. Due to the sheer volume of variables in this set-up it is virtually impossible to give an accurate set of percentages for the entire cast. I was getting different results based on where Captain Falcon was in his idle animation just as an example. That being said, I did make some in-roads into how this can be used in an actual match.

Let's look at Mario as an example. I was able to get true combos on him using the above setup as early as 33 percent and all the way up to 63 with some level of consistency. The early percentages are likely useless just like they were with Dthrow to Flash, but above 40? Maybe more useful. The other quirk of this setup is that the angle of Flash needs to be directly proportional to the percentage of the enemy. SO, let's just assume that this can true combo on the entire cast starting at around 30; from 30-40 use Low Angle, 40-55 use Neutral Angle, and 55-65 use the Upward Angle. That is roughly the upper limit of the combo done with this setup. Using fair 'badly,' meaning spacing closely can radically extend the range of this combo, but fair is not safe on shield so that is ill-advised.

Here is where this setup gets interesting. Above that range there is a the possibility that Fair, to FH Side B can connect as a true combo. This is probably only possible in a match on a hard read, but shouldn't be discounted as an option. Fair to FH Flash has an effective range starting on most of the cast after 75 all the way to 100 or farther.

In conclusion, I don't think fair to grounded flash is actually useful. It might be a good mix-up if you are trying to style, but at those ranges Fair to Fair is also true and much safer, but Fair to FH Flash has a lot of potential and may be worth incorporating into Wolf's punish game as a kill option. Sorry that I couldn't give you all the same quantity of data that I did for Dthrow to Flash, I just underestimated the amount of variables and my own time limitations. Hope this helps other Wolf Mains in some way and thanks for checking out the post.

Last edited:
Top Bottom