• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Extreme difficulty with DK

McWaffles

Still grinding to be decent.
Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
Eyy everyone, as you have read from the thread title, there is a really good DK in my region, and we go toe to toe, but the thing is I don't know that match-up as much as he knows the Sheik match-up from DK's perspective.. All I've gathered is that one grab and I'm dead.. Any tips on this match-up? Everything helps.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
If you cannot deal the same damage output as your opponent, you will have to get that many more openings to get the same effect. If he gets 1 grab and kills you, and it takes you 5 openings to kill him, you have to outplay him 5 to 1 in the neutral in order to go even.

Learn how to punish DK harder. Learn his tech animations and reaction tech chase. Know what percents you kill him. Find ways to put him into bad positions (eg, above you). Make sure you edge guard him to death.

Learn the ways he is setting up the grab. Is it because you are dash attacking or dsmashing his shield? Is he just running up and grabbing you while you sleep? Be honest about the problems, and then stop doing the bad thing. Overall, Sheik should have dominance in the neutral due to her speed and low lag hitboxes.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Force him to come to you with needles. He moves slower than you overall in the air too, so platform camping can be hard for him to deal with unless he wants to put himself at risk of getting hit with one of your falling bairs. If he's crouching, don't try to tilt him. He will just crouch cancel grab you every time. Instead, do something like SH fair spaced around cc, or SH needles to pester him.

DK also can't do much about your standing needles from mid range because he can't bair you when he's moving toward you. Even if he turns around, any needle hits will force him to face you again. Abuse these facts to make his neutral harder.

DK has a huge hurtbox, so getting him in the air is rough for him. Your bair and uair will find themselves connecting on him with little effort once he gets stuck above you or on a platform. Try to stand under him as much as possible and keep fast falling back to the ground to prevent him from turning the tables on you.

Aerial needles + bair should make it extremely difficult to recover unless he is very high up to start. Don't let him recover for free. Always throw needles at the angle where he has to path his up-b through.

FrankDaTank

Smash Cadet
You shouldn't be dying off of one grab against DK. He can combo you well off of a cargo up throw, yes, but he shouldn't be straight up zero to deathing you. DI his up airs up so it makes it more difficult for him to get them.

Also, Sheik can chaingrab DK starting at around 30% If they DI in it ends at around 90 but you also get crazy good followups if they do that. IT goes until 120 or so if they DI away, maybe even longer. Abuse that, especially on FD. You outspace him with your tilts and his only really safe aerial is back air. You also edgeguard the heck of out him because if you toss needles at him and he dips even slightly below the ledge, he's gone.

Your combo game on his is also nuts. DK is huge, which means it's easy to hit him with aerials and tilts. If he DIs in on your down throw, you get a few tilts into an aerial. At higher percents (90-100ish) you get sweetspot up smash. If he DIs away starting around 45 or so, you get dash attack into something else really juicy.

You have needles too. DK has no projectile. His shield is also reallllly bad while Sheik's is arguably the best in the game.

DK is fat and combo food for you. Abuse it to the absolute fullest.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Correction, DK can 0 to death sheik from one grab. I've played DFU in that matchup a lot, and he swears its easier to combo sheik than fox. From playing both characters vs him, I have to agree.

Top Bottom