• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Extra Height on Vanish Right off Edge

Reiyalin

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2767-0292-6398
Hey guys! So I've long mostly hid in the shadows of the boards reading away. I went on a long hiatus because of getting busy, old 3ds joystick getting messed up (rip that 3ds). Anyhow, not that I was any good before the hiatus but I finally was able to start playing smash again and have been relearning things (or learning things I hadn't before...)

I have been practicing some easier advanced techs lately and trying to make them more consistent. I noticed sometimes I time vanish gliding just slightly late (like fall off the stage very briefly) and go higher on the initial explosion without jumping. it's like I get a short hop in before the vanish except I am definitely not jumping.

I was thinking oh, maybe this is an alternative useful way to use vanish at the edge if the opponent recovers a bit higher than for vanish glide but when trying to research into it, I couldn't find it in the compendium or more recent pages on the boards. Not sure if new tech, old tech (whose name I don't know due to being gone so long and did not see in the beloved Compendium), a useless mistake that no one cares about (orz)... So I thought I would post and ask about it.

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
Hey guys! So I've long mostly hid in the shadows of the boards reading away. I went on a long hiatus because of getting busy, old 3ds joystick getting messed up (rip that 3ds). Anyhow, not that I was any good before the hiatus but I finally was able to start playing smash again and have been relearning things (or learning things I hadn't before...)

I have been practicing some easier advanced techs lately and trying to make them more consistent. I noticed sometimes I time vanish gliding just slightly late (like fall off the stage very briefly) and go higher on the initial explosion without jumping. it's like I get a short hop in before the vanish except I am definitely not jumping.

I was thinking oh, maybe this is an alternative useful way to use vanish at the edge if the opponent recovers a bit higher than for vanish glide but when trying to research into it, I couldn't find it in the compendium or more recent pages on the boards. Not sure if new tech, old tech (whose name I don't know due to being gone so long and did not see in the beloved Compendium), a useless mistake that no one cares about (orz)... So I thought I would post and ask about it.
Would it be possible for you to post a video of it? From the text description sounds like it's just the regular UpB when in the air, you rise a bit before vanishing. But do you get that as well as the slide from vanish gliding?
Video would make everything simple :p

Reiyalin

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2767-0292-6398
Would it be possible for you to post a video of it? From the text description sounds like it's just the regular UpB when in the air, you rise a bit before vanishing. But do you get that as well as the slide from vanish gliding?
Video would make everything simple :p
No, you do not get the glide that vanish glide has, just like a slight diagonal compared to the edge of the stage. I did think of the regular UpB rise but it seemed to be a bit higher than that. Of course I probably am just crazy and/or I am misjudging the distance thanks to it looking kindof diagnoal so I'll go play around some more and see if I can do something to compare the distances.

Video might be kindof hard since don't have a capture card or a semi decent camera but it might not be needed if it's just me over-selling the aerial UpB rise anyhow.

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
No, you do not get the glide that vanish glide has, just like a slight diagonal compared to the edge of the stage. I did think of the regular UpB rise but it seemed to be a bit higher than that. Of course I probably am just crazy and/or I am misjudging the distance thanks to it looking kindof diagnoal so I'll go play around some more and see if I can do something to compare the distances.

Video might be kindof hard since don't have a capture card or a semi decent camera but it might not be needed if it's just me over-selling the aerial UpB rise anyhow.
It sounds like just the normal upb rise, but even a crappy phone video would be helpful to be sure.

Reiyalin

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2767-0292-6398
I return with a crappy (extremely crappy) phone video. I do some vanish gliding, do some of this possibly just regular up-B thing...

I personally think it goes higher than the regular up-B rise. And it goes kinda diagonal at first. I also try to do some normal up-B's for comparison off the ledge towards the end of the video and the rise looks shorter but probably due to combination of me being blind and other variables that the game is calculating.

At any rate you can probably tell a lot better than me so here you go! I apologize in advance for poor video quality and cringe-worthy failed inputs.

Reiyalin

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2767-0292-6398
yea I think ur jumping with tap jump before up b. nothing special here.
The first thing I did when I got the game is turn tap jump off cause I couldn't stand it in previous smash games so whenever possible I get rid of it.

boneflesh

Smash Cadet
The first thing I did when I got the game is turn tap jump off cause I couldn't stand it in previous smash games so whenever possible I get rid of it.
even if, jump up does the same or similar movements so its kind of uselessly technical. plus, its not really applicable to an actual situation.

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
even if, jump up does the same or similar movements so its kind of uselessly technical. plus, its not really applicable to an actual situation.
I beg to differ. Of course this is applicable. Vanish kills crazy early.

I return with a crappy (extremely crappy) phone video. I do some vanish gliding, do some of this possibly just regular up-B thing...

I personally think it goes higher than the regular up-B rise. And it goes kinda diagonal at first. I also try to do some normal up-B's for comparison off the ledge towards the end of the video and the rise looks shorter but probably due to combination of me being blind and other variables that the game is calculating.

At any rate you can probably tell a lot better than me so here you go! I apologize in advance for poor video quality and cringe-worthy failed inputs.

But yeah because you're doing the jump cancel upb for the vanish glide, when you mistime the jump you end up doing double jump upb, which is what makes the rise look longer. Not a new tech or anything, but still useful for positioning if you think they're gonna go high and want to use vanish :p

Reiyalin

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2767-0292-6398
I beg to differ. Of course this is applicable. Vanish kills crazy early.

But yeah because you're doing the jump cancel upb for the vanish glide, when you mistime the jump you end up doing double jump upb, which is what makes the rise look longer. Not a new tech or anything, but still useful for positioning if you think they're gonna go high and want to use vanish :p
Oh huh, can you explain a bit more? I never really realized that was what vanish gliding was. I guess I thought it was kinda falling off the stage and starting a vanish midway which then I can kinda see maybe where the jump comes in since it's kinda like when you let go of a ledge grab then do something only having the one jump. But I'm a bit confused at how I am double jumping with no jump input?

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
That was always a thing and to me it always looked like a messed up vanish glide. I do it accidentally sometimes when I try to vanish glide. I admit i've gotten a few lucky stocks with it before, completely unintentionally, but I never tried to do it on purpose cuz I don't understand how it exactly happens lol. I just know its a thing that could happen when you mess up vanish glide.

Glitchy_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintend0pr0
This seems to be a failed vanish glide, just a regular up B. You keep going forward because the little hop before the explosion keeps your momentum i guess.
It's still something to keep in mind for getting early kills tho.

Reiyalin

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2767-0292-6398
That was always a thing and to me it always looked like a messed up vanish glide. I do it accidentally sometimes when I try to vanish glide. I admit i've gotten a few lucky stocks with it before, completely unintentionally, but I never tried to do it on purpose cuz I don't understand how it exactly happens lol. I just know its a thing that could happen when you mess up vanish glide.
Yeah, I noticed that if I think about the timing for vanish glide then do it a fraction of a second later, it'll do this instead. It seems like vanish glide is like, start the vanish right before you fall off and the momentum keeps going whereas this is right when you fall off. Guess I'll keep it in mind for higher recoveries now and again.

Top Bottom