• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
I'm 22. I probably won't go to Apex 2014. I still haven't travelled further than Norway for smash.

Corigames

Smash Hero

I want yoou all to see some things I can do with Samus. I think it would make you giggle. Also, I've started work on redoing the "Intro" thread.

Litt

Samus
I'd like to see a few matches between DJ vs Plup, DJ vs Pi, Esam vs Knut, Duck vs Darrel, and most of all Plup vs HugS

ManoxMano

Smash Journeyman
There definitely hasn't been a real good samus ditto, in a tournament setting, in a long while.
I think moneymatches are in order :)

Corigames

Smash Hero
I think my power level is seriously underestimated. Now that I have money to travel, you'll be seeing me at a lot more OoS tournaments. Apex will be a big one, but also going to be at more CO, CA, NM, TX, and other western tournaments (ride permitting).

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I wish people ran into my falling nairs as much as other samuses seem to get away with that ****

Jagoffian

Smash Journeyman
I think my power level is seriously underestimated. Now that I have money to travel, you'll be seeing me at a lot more OoS tournaments. Apex will be a big one, but also going to be at more CO, CA, NM, TX, and other western tournaments (ride permitting).
You should attend a Super Smash Sunday. There always seems to be more than a couple Samii in attendance (including myself), and Hugo has gone to like every one. :p

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Alright so who's ready for Big House 3?

Who will be the top placing samus? Me? Violence? Duck? Rat?

Litt

Samus
I say Violence, Duck, you then rat, but best of luck to all the sami out there at Big House!!!

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I almost made bracket. had I won 1 more game (not set) in pools, I would have made it out

Litt

Samus
Just being honest... teching isnt that difficult once you build it into muscle memory

Machiavelli

Smash Apprentice
I have a friend who is getting into melee (like brand new). For those of you who started with Samus, was she an ok character to start with? Any "I wish someone would have told me" things about first starting with Samus you wouldn't mind sharing?

ManoxMano

Smash Journeyman
You can learn a lot of good fundamentals with samus
Spacing out attacks (wavedashing into ftilt/utilt/jab), Punishing bad moves (UPBOOS, CC dsmash, smashing a roll), and a strong footsie game are essential in being a good samus
Samus is a good char to start in but make him play all the characters. Otherwise he might spend a long time with a character that isn't a good fit and he might get held back

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
I played Samus casually for many years before I joined the competitive scene. When I joined the scene I noticed I couldn't kill as Samus so I started to play as Fox cause of upsmash and shine. When I noticed how technical I needed to be to beat better players who didn't get hit by random upsmashes or could dodge my backthrow-shine strategy, I started playing Sheik. I learned the fundamentals and participated in my first tournaments as Sheik/Fox, but still felt something was wrong. I went back to Samus, as she fits my play style the most, and implemented L-cancel and WD into my game not until then.
My advice to your friend is, as ManoxMano already stated, to try different characters to finally find one that fits their style. Different characters are good for learning different fundamentals in the beginning. Sheik improved my sense of comboes, Fox improved my speed and tech skill.

Just being honest... teching isnt that difficult once you build it into muscle memory
I think you missed the point that it was an impossible attack to tech reactively, I had to have been already rolling onto the stage to do it... i.e. you're missin the joke holmes, get with it!

edit: I don't think Samus teaches you good fundamentals of the game, like spacing, how to adapt, tech skill, etc. She's too easy to rely on because she can tank most hits and float out of others, often causing her to naturally become a reactive type of character. What I would say she offers is forced emphasis on mindgames, or basically, relying on your reading of the opponent to allow you to survive. However, this would plateau at a certain point, unless you already knew how to incorporate other tactics and concepts into your game. Thus, Samus either needs previous know-how and skill to be played effectively, or you need to branch out with characters like Marth (good for spacing, baiting)* or Fox (good for tech, and approach)*. A character like, say, Mario or Falcon<needs citation>, actually serves as a good balance to all this.

*very roughly speaking.

also nice match esam that was fun.

Adict

Smash Cadet
the problem for me starting out as samus that still affects me is the fact of her ground/air speed. because of how floaty/kinda slow she is, i have trouble adapting to the play styles of faster, more technical/fast characters like fox. granted i rarely try to play as them as i get easily discouraged with how poorly i do as them, i do think it reflects back as to how used i am to samus's play style. i would have to agree with what pcp has said and choose a character that implements all aspects of competitive play as their starter, and once the basics are learned branch out and find that character that you just cant get enough of. which is still/always will be samus for me lol

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
Well, Samus is better in PAL I think. We've got better matchups vs top tiers. Fox, Falco, Marth and Sheik are weaker. :)

ycz12

Smash Ace
Played a bunch of games on stream tonight, featuring a lot of Sheik. Check it out here:

http://www.twitch.tv/nemelee/b/477050666

1:22:00 ycz vs slightly drunk MattDotZeb
1:27:45 ycz vs Zoso, I play quite well in the second match, and maybe even win!
3:20:30 ycz vs Bank$, who is th0rn's brother
3:29:50 ycz vs Nuro, who is really legit and beat MattDotZeb at this tourney
3:39:00 ycz vs KoreanDJ, who completely dismantles me but it's all good

Highlights:
1:24:55 is a very comical game against MattDotZeb's extremely fraudulent Fox.
3:25:51 is some of the best Melee I've ever played. Check it out for some flashy recovery/edgeguarding technology I think more Samuses should use.
3:34:00 is where I do like 6 Screw Attacks in a row.
3:34:55 is the second best combo of my Smash career.
3:45:40 is a game against KDJ that... may surprise you. (It's on Brinstar)

Edit: Oh, apparently these are going on Youtube tomorrow. Feel free to not suffer through the crappy stream quality if you want. :p

Top Bottom