• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

Andymosity

Smash Journeyman
samus + jiggs doesnt sound like a bad team. jiggs is floaty but has so much priority and aerial acceleration that I can totally see her acting as a carry.

I always wanted to team with a pikachu...
What other characters do you guys think samus could do well with in teams? (aside from the typical falco, fox, and falcon carries)

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Well, Samus + Jiggs made it to the GFs of Apex '12, and they won the first set, too. My Jiggs teammate and I had been teaming since before that, though, so we didn't steal their idea. :p Jiggs is very capable of catching quick leads or restoring deficits, thanks to her gimp ability and rest combos. My teammate would even go for rests off my Screw Attack and throws. Funnily enough, I've also saved my teammate when he was out of jumps offstage on DL64. I jumped out and screw attacked him to the ledge. :crazy:

Weirdly enough, I believe ICs could actually be a decent teammate for Samus. Pika should be a good teammate too, since he's like a smaller, slightly slower Fox.

Geist

Smash Master
jiggs samus is a horrible team
either one of you have to recover and the other one is going to get gang banged for like 2 whole minutes by the other team

but then again I suck at doubles and always have

Violence

Smash Lord
Jiggs Samus is OP, imo.

Neither of you care about getting double teamed. Samus is like, UpBOOS-> edge cancel run away with missiles, get to the ledge, whatever.

Puff is puff.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
jiggs samus is a horrible team
either one of you have to recover and the other one is going to get gang banged for like 2 whole minutes by the other team

but then again I suck at doubles and always have
Dude, Jiggs is totally fine when Samus is recovering. No one can really control where she goes. I do agree that Samus can have trouble being double-teamed, but one Screw Attack OoS that catches both of them, and she's pretty much gained all the time she needs. DL64 is the CP of choice for us as well as KJ64, if it's legal. They live soooo long on these stages. If DL's banned, BF or Stadium is great, too.

Geist

Smash Master
LOL
omniiiiiiiiii

Dude, Jiggs is totally fine when Samus is recovering. No one can really control where she goes. I do agree that Samus can have trouble being double-teamed, but one Screw Attack OoS that catches both of them, and she's pretty much gained all the time she needs. DL64 is the CP of choice for us as well as KJ64, if it's legal. They live soooo long on these stages. If DL's banned, BF or Stadium is great, too.
it was a joke don't worry

Andymosity

Smash Journeyman
Haha I could tell Geist was kidding. Samus isn't bad for 1v2. I love hogging the ledge with her and doing up-b tricks to rack up damage. The good ol' downsmash gimps come through too. And since your opponents tend to get more aggressive, planting bombs works great. They'll fall into them a lot of the time and become vulnerable to f-tilts or d-tilts (or any move with good knock back and low cool-downs).

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Our grab's not as bad as Zelda's and G&W's, guys. Relax... ;) I'd also take our grab over Ness's and the Marios', and maybe Falcon's and Ganon's as well. Those guys have no range... (-_-)

The gigantic SH being a problem is probably more due to our floatiness than the actual jump. I see spacees randomly get by on FH's for entire matches at a time.

The run speed is mitigated by our great WD. I mean, Luigi also has a pretty slow run, but you don't see anyone complaining about his ground speed. :awesome:

As you can see, I'm not accepting anything less than the fact that Samus is a good character. Everyone else is just overpowered. :troll:

Edit: However, two weaknesses that you forgot are that Samus's actual killing power (outright KOs, not gimps/edgeguards) is kinda weak and her combos are pretty short unless you have some insane reading ability.

McNinja

Smash Ace
Wait... you would rather have Samus' grab over Ganon's? Even though he has a ridiculous chaingrab?

:phone:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Grab does not equal throws. I would take Samus's grab over Ganon's grab. Ganon's grab has practically no range, and a lot of chars can just crouch under it. I might take Ganon's dthrow over Samus's. Even then, I'm not even sure if Ganon's dthrow would fit Samus's total kit as well as her current dthrow already does. I would definitely keep her current uthrow over Ganon's uthrow.

McNinja

Smash Ace
Ah I see. So when people talk about a characters grab game, they refer to the characters grab and not their throws then. I understand. Thanks!

:phone:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Ahhh, they talk about both as compliments to each other when talking about a grab game. For instance, Ganon actually gets more CG's than Sheik, I believe, but his actual grab is so crappy that Sheik's grab game is seen as immensely better. Marth has an incredible grab game because his actual grab is so good and his throws are so great for positioning, setting up TCs, and setting up combos. G&W has awesome follow-ups off of a throw, but his actual grab is so bad and risky that his grab game generally isn't considered as good, even though a large portion of his game actually centers around hit-confirming into his grab in order to land guaranteed combos.

Van.

Smash Ace
bubbaking ganons grab is definently better than samus' ... lolol

but anyways mcninja as a very experienced and well respected samus player i can tell you that most of the weaknesses listed are correct

abcool

Smash Ace
I came to say i lost GF to a Falco player. Tournament was sweet though. Same guy gave me the business in PM. I need to learn some facts about Samus. What is the highest percent i can survive Falco's Fsmash and Down smash? Please show and tell me the correct way to go about Di'ing it. Here is the second set of GF if anyone cares to watch. I know what i was doing wrong, my controller was giving me problems, but he was still playing hella good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=79KCQQAveFU#t=235s

I also played Fox and Marth because people like to complain about my Samus a lot. Which caused me big time because she is my main.. :/

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Ummm, DI fsmash up and towards the stage to avoid being killed off the side, I believe. As for dsmash, well, that move sends you really low horizontally, so I don't know how well Samus could actually DI that move at high %'s to avoid dying, but if you S/DI down, you can try to tech the move before you get sent anywhere. Like, try to CC before the move hits you for full DI downwards, double stick it for more, and then try to tech. You gotta be really fast, though.

abcool

Smash Ace
Man, abcool, you kept running into his hitboxes... gotta use that shield, man.
I usually beat this Falco, but ever since he beat the Peach he never could have in LF, He was on point lol. An my controller was given me probelms. Next time i will win though an Samus will be back on top in the Bahamas :p

Violence

Smash Lord
Man... that's another misconception.

Shielding is not inherently defensive. Imagine medieval combat. Soldiers rushed at each other with shields raised. Is it defensive when someone is running at you, anticipating to block your attack and then stab you right after?

Of course not. That's the same with Samus, you don't have to shield just because you're afraid of getting hit, you can shield because you WANT them to hit your shield.

Watch Hugo. He invades space with his shield, he practically tells his opponent HEY HIT MY SHIELD MOTHER****ER, YOU'LL EAT A PUNISH.

It's an offensive tactic, you're pressuring them with your out of shield options.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I know what you speak of, but I like to think of it as being offensively defensive. If it was just all-out offensive, shields wouldn't be needed. Samus would be able to inflict punishes without having to worry about getting hit. In reality, Samus has to bait an action out of the opponent and then react. That's most of Samus's gameplay as a character, bait-and-punish. She's performing a defensive action to open up an avenue for her own offense. It's like positioning yourself and CCing on purpose to CCC with dsmash or dtilt. That's just how I look at it. In the end, I think we're both trying to say the same thing. Increased use of shields isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I used to try to CC everything and only shield whenever CC wasn't effective or when I was in a situation that I knew I couldn't get a feasible CCC out of it. Then Duck tutored me for a bit at Apex '12 and told me that I should be shielding a whooole lot more. CC is good, but shielding is really good too.

KidWithChemicals

Smash Cadet
its ironic that this is the topic of conversation. i was literally about to come in here and post about my shielding problem vs falco. i honestly find myself in my shield too much vs him and i realized this last night when i was playing Gmoney. there were so many times where i had WD back OoS > Dsmash. instead i just WD OoS into shield. i still get the Up B off which is cool. but i feel like i'm limiting my options by putting myself in shield too often. basically, i just feel like there's something i'm not getting about the match-up.

Violence

Smash Lord
You have to adjust your spacing according to your opponent's aggressiveness. If you're too close, he'll have too many favorable approaches and you'll just get stuck in shield. Stay at the edge of his space, a little less than a short hop forward laser away, bait his short hop approach, then wavedash back and wreck him.

abcool

Smash Ace
I kinda of agree with CWK. I feel like staying in shield is tough aswell. I like Hugo spacing. I ask him for advice sometimes on facebook. In fact i think we all should make a samus group on facebook so when we need help on the go we can ask for quick advice, but i guess what would be the point of this board. Anyway, i'll try matches without using TOO much shield vs matches using it less and see how the results play out.

abcool

Smash Ace
Nassau, Freeport.....these are all places on Long Island where I live! :-O
Long island is the name of an Island in the Bahamas. I would think half the names of places in New york was borrowed from the caribbean islands. An yeah, Nassau and Freeport are where most tourist visit especially Nassau, because of Atlantis and it's the most developed it's bascially the city. All the other islands are like quiet get aways.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Shoutouts to all the Sami who made it out to ROM5 = D I didn't enter but I did get a ton of friendlies in on Sunday. Sorry Knut I didn't get to say peace you were playin a match but we still got our Samus ditto's in! Close matches against Twebb but you'll get him next time!

I also got to meet a new Samus player named Red, I don't think he posts much here though.

dkuo

Smash Lord
But I remember what you look like ~_~ I guess I left before you showed up or something...or like, I was busy playing too much? IDK

Next time at Apex then :)

Top Bottom