• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Extender Grappple Button Combo (now with frame data)

AIDS

Smash Lord
How is the Expansion grapple useful-
When someone lands from their Up-B?
well it helps prevent side step dodges, u can make it fallow your enemy, and also it is faster, how does this not help? samus's normal grapple can seen and avoided easy but this one is faster, and also u can press A after there side step dodge completes and you have a much better chance of completing the grab

-Sand-

Smash Cadet
can utranslate that frames in seconds plx?
Z, UP DOWN UP on the dpad, Z, anywhere in frames 8-39
is like pres z,up,down,up,z in less than 3 secs? or give me a clue about time, when grapple is all out? when it hasnt get out yet? answer plxx

AIDS

Smash Lord
frame is a small part of the game which the screen actually changes, it goes really fast so these changing pictures look like actually motion. i think it is 60 per second, if your game was going slow enough, and you looked at the clock, you would see that the clock skips #s somtimes on the most-right digit, because it does not have enough frames to show every #.

-Sand-

Smash Cadet
so i have to press the combination buttonless than 39 frames?
so: 1 sec=60 frames so more or less do everything in less than 1 second, isnt it?

DrunkenSphere

Smash Cadet
Ah so that's why for one game I had the greatest grab ever, we all assumed that I had extended it through sheer willpower.

Oh well....

AIDS

Smash Lord
yes but it is a little easyer to spam up and Down, and press Z but at a slower rate, i know the code, and yet i still do it that way and get it like every time.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
thx for finding this out. by finding this out for us u have proven yourself to HAVE NO LIFE!!! jk thx for that =p but still spaming the d pad and Z works for us so =] EXTENDEEERRRRRR!

AIDS

Smash Lord
thx for finding this out. by finding this out for us u have proven yourself to HAVE NO LIFE!!! jk thx for that =p but still spaming the d pad and Z works for us so =] EXTENDEEERRRRRR!
are you sure you wanna destroy your controller and look high and low for some still being sold? =/

Vodage

Smash Journeyman
What lame-azz version of Melee do I have where the button combo extends her grapple beam but then it magically goes right through my opponent? I've tried this multiple times and that's always the outcome. I get a nice, long, phantasmal beam that's completely useless cuz it won't frickan grab anything.

Thx for the frame data tho at least now I know how to do extender >: )

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
What lame-azz version of Melee do I have where the button combo extends her grapple beam but then it magically goes right through my opponent? I've tried this multiple times and that's always the outcome. I get a nice, long, phantasmal beam that's completely useless cuz it won't frickan grab anything.

Thx for the frame data tho at least now I know how to do extender >: )
You have to press A in order to grab the opponent.

AIDS

Smash Lord
No it is true man! most technical thing ever!
you are just not good enough CoreyGames, we should try getting the frame data for you! =)

Corigames

Smash Hero
What?

But I :O

I D:

I >_<

|
|
|
=
X_X

(That was my attempt to make an emoticon preform suicide by hanging)

AIDS

Smash Lord
Lol thanks man, it is a sig btw, just so you know for the future.
My sig was made by sugarpoultry.(I think thats how you spell her name)
It reminds me that dragon ball Z clip..."OVER NINE THOUSANDDDDDDDD!" Haha.

Moth

Smash Rookie
I was astounded when I found out no one had bothered to find out the exact button combo for this. So I ventured out and did it. If it has already been found, sorry, I did a search and nothing came up.

Z, UP DOWN UP on the dpad, Z, anywhere in frames 8-39.

HEY NUMBNUTS: The Extender is out the same length of time as a regular grapple. In other words, it goes twice as far, but shoots out twice as fast, ya dig? So there's really no downside, except you have to yell "EXTENDERRRR!!!"

Enter quickly before the grapple fully extends. You're done. Bingo.

By process of elimination, I have found this to be absolutely true.

First, I tried to find out the least amount of Z presses to do the extender. I pressed Z twice, and rotated the stick. It worked. So from there, I tried to figure out the button combonation.

I had always done it always just up and down, no left or right involved. So I knew it was only up and down. I repeated this with only up and down, and it worked. Now, what the exact combo was...

*an hour later*

I had narrowed it down to up and down, less than 2 times each. I tried down up down, nothing. up down, nothing. down up, nothing. up down up!

Next, was the placement of Z.

Was the combo entered before the two z presses, after the two z presses, or in between? It was pretty simpe to find out.
Or you could hold shield, continuously rotate the D-Pad and press A. Works everytime for me.

AIDS

Smash Lord
Or you could hold shield, continuously rotate the D-Pad and press A. Works everytime for me.
The point of this information was for peoples understanding, and so they could do it better, and easyer.

In high level no one is going to sit and let us spaz until we get it.

Side note: Control your posting, don't post 3 in a row. If you have something to add and you are the last person who posted on that thread, then edit your post. Thanks, and welcome to the smash world forums. =)

Moth

Smash Rookie
The point of this information was for peoples understanding, and so they could do it better, and easyer.

In high level no one is going to sit and let us spaz until we get it.

Side note: Control your posting, don't post 3 in a row. If you have something to add and you are the last person who posted on that thread, then edit your post. Thanks, and welcome to the Smash World Forums. =)
Eh, sorry, It's easier for me to just post three times then edit because I don't have a real computer... Right now I'm using the internet channel on my wii. No copy&paste :'(

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
I used to be able to do it but now I can't, I think I'm pressing the d-pad up before frame 8 after initiating the grab. Thanks!
(Reading this in 2015 I knew what the inputs were, but this was a good reminder about waiting till frame 8... but lol I might try just smashing cause it could help me get the inputs after frame 8...)

Last edited:

Corigames

Smash Hero
The last comment in this thread before yours was from 2008. Seven years ago.
There have been other recently-replied-to threads that were also several years old getting replied to. It use to be infractionable to post in a thread over a year old (with exceptions), but the boards are so slow now that nobody has a care to give.

Just kinda odd to pop open these time capsules and look back almost a decade.

Smash Journeyman
I think it's usually poor forum etiquette to "necro" threads (bump really old threads), but if you have something real to add to a thread, don't worry about it

Litt

Samus
That's a simple input: Hit down on the d-pad for one frame.
lmao yes I like it, screw learning to wait that 8 frames after pressing Z, just start with down, you still get up down up anyway and thats only 5 buttons in 31 frames aka half a second

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
lmao yes I like it, screw learning to wait that 8 frames after pressing Z, just start with down, you still get up down up anyway and thats only 5 buttons in 31 frames aka half a second
Yeah, I'm having trouble with it. Some days I can get it, some days I just can't seem to. I think I just need to work on the 8 frame wait.

Top Bottom