• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Export Character Models From Melee?

imgbyo

Smash Cadet
Does anyone know of a definitive way to Export character models from melee?
I know its possible but everywhere I look I fall down a rabbit hole with know clear cut way on how to do it.
New Hackers Start Here was no help to me, maybe I missed something? if so please point it out.

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
Does anyone know of a definitive way to Export character models from melee?
I know its possible but everywhere I look I fall down a rabbit hole with know clear cut way on how to do it.
New Hackers Start Here was no help to me, maybe I missed something? if so please point it out.
Funny enough, Smash Forge (the Sm4sh equivalent of BrawlBox) can open fighter and trophy model DATs from Melee. You can export those into a .NUD, which can in turn be imported into 3DS Max with a script. (Heads up: the low-poly offscreen bubble model WILL be "embedded" with the regular model, plus it'll likely import without textures, so I recommend also ripping the textures from the .DAT with DAT Texture Wizard ahead of time)

Script for importing .NUDs into 3DS Max:

https://mega.nz/#!GtIVUJCa!-pGfJdel6kGAuMloea1OThhw-AfvgSnsg3iG5BKxthE

Smash Forge:

https://github.com/jam1garner/Smash-Forge

I'm sure there's a less circuitous way of doing this, but this is the way I've been getting models.

CalvinHedgewolf13

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
Fox#821
NNID
Rozurabu
3DS FC
4141-7696-7074
"From Melee," hence the fact that this is the Melee threads.

Personally, I noticed that the UMC (Universal Model Converter) can open and convert Melee's .DAT files just fine to something else like .dae or .obj that we can open "normally."

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
How do you load a character from Melee into Smash Forge?

UMC has been so long in development, it's essentially dead to me (latest release only exports to .obj, which is useless, as I want joint/weighting data).

Bah... it's not working for the Male Wireframe. All I want to do is get the Wireframe models with their joints and weighting... why is this such a hassle?

Last edited:

CalvinHedgewolf13

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
Fox#821
NNID
Rozurabu
3DS FC
4141-7696-7074
The Melee WireFrame fighters?
For Sm4sh?

Sounds interesting.
The Model's Resource has two of them at the bottom of the page, though in .obj format and unrigged.

That said, I recall a certain Brawl model pack that came with these characters already rigged, and BrawlBox can export them to weight-rigged .dae colladas for use with other programs.

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
Except those are from the poorly-ripped Models Resource ones (using 3D Print Screen, of all thing), using not-even-symmetric weights... it's a total cluster**** that only barely works in Brawl by chance.

ms_emertes

Smash Rookie
I'm trying hard to export melee's models but it's really hard. Esspecially when making your own games. If you download obj's from The Models Resource, and make your own rigs, it would be fine.

DRGN

Technowizard
To extract models, you can use a relatively new program called HSDRaw (technically, "HSDRaw Viewer"). You would open the file with the model you're interested in, double-click the main 'joint' in the file that has the model (usually the first one, which will show a preview of the model in the viewer, in a new tab), and then under "File" (not the program's main File drop-down, but the File drop-down that's in the new tab that opened!), and then click "Export Model to File", which will give a few format options, including .dae, .smd, and .obj.

Here's a great video tutorial that focuses mostly on importing, but also goes over exporting, and includes some tips/troubleshooting on some of the oddities that can happen in these operations. There are currently very few tutorials on HSDRaw, so if you want to learn more about it, you'll want to join The Melee Workshop Discord and ask around in there.

Top Bottom