• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Explosive Flame: And how it functions.

Leaf_It

Smash Cadet
Explosive Flame is an amazing move, but I thought it would be helpful to explain exactly how it functions, since it wasn't immediately clear to me when I was first using it.

Where the explosion goes off is based on whether you flick, or hold in the direction you are going to attack, when pressing B(special).

For maximum range, you want to flick the stick at the same time as B(special).

For close range, hold the stick (even if it's a little more than half a second) then press B(special), the explosion will be almost immediately in front of you, but with just enough room that most opponents who are close enough to grab you, will avoid damage.

If you are dashing, the momentum from the dash will move you a bit closer to the explosion right as it is going off. You can use this to fake out opponents that think you are going for a dash attack, and just pull an Explosive Flame on them before you get into range for a normal attack.

Last edited:

Augi

Smash Cadet
Thank you! I was able to figure out that if I do a "Smash" B I would get full range, and if I did more of a "Tilt" B I would get half the range of that. I did not know about the closest option. Now the trick will be using them on command...

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
So does that mean the only way to get the close/short range explosion is to do it out of dash?

Leaf_It

Smash Cadet
So does that mean the only way to get the close/short range explosion is to do it out of dash?
You could also hold the stick for a while in mid-air after a double jump.
Notice that I said you just need to hold in the direction. So if you are running into something, the time to hold it is still taking place, and it will be shorter range. You could also dash/hold in the opposite direction, and use the time it takes to slow down to hold in the direction you want to use it.

Last edited:

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Notice that I said you just need to hold in the direction. So if you are running into something, the time to hold it is still taking place, and it will be shorter range. You could also dash/hold in the opposite direction, and use the time it takes to slow down to hold in the direction you want to use it.
Would it be possible to do something like crouch + tilt to make the distance shorter?

Leaf_It

Smash Cadet
Would it be possible to do something like crouch + tilt to make the distance shorter?
In my tests, the distance is based entirely on how long the control stick is held in the direction you are using it. Crouching, or walking have no effect.

NintendoParty

Smash Cadet
Explosive Flame is an amazing move, but I thought it would be helpful to explain exactly how it functions, since it wasn't immediately clear to me when I was first using it.

Where the explosion goes off is based on how long you hold in the direction you are going to attack before pressing B(special). The longer you move/hold in a direction, the closer it will be to you.

For the closest range, dash/hold for a full second, then press B(special), the explosion will be almost immediately in front of you, but with just enough room that most opponents who are close enough to grab you, will avoid damage. You can use this to fake out opponents that think you are going for a dash attack, and just pull an Explosive Flame on them before you get into range for a normal attack.

If you dash/hold for less than 1 second, then press B(special), the explosion will be a little bit farther away, but not by much.

I appreciate your desire to help other smash players, but alas, your explanation is wrong. Per my experience and Prima's guide, the only thing that matters is if you flick or tilt. Tilt = closer distance. Flick = further. I believe the reason it's closer when you dash is because that'a tllt input (by the time you press b), so it it's the closer version, plus you're running toward it. So the distance was already set when did the special but you're now physically closer to it. You can do this in mid air also and it will appear the same set distance in air from when you input it. Walking and doing it also gets closer version because it's a tilt.

But I still find it wildy challenging and inconsistent to do the closer one. I have the same problem with tilt attacks to. Naturally I'm flicking everything and find tilt inputs to be difficult.

Augi

Smash Cadet
I appreciate your desire to help other smash players, but alas, your explanation is wrong. Per my experience and Prima's guide, the only thing that matters is if you flick or tilt. Tilt = closer distance. Flick = further. I believe the reason it's closer when you dash is because that'a tllt input (by the time you press b), so it it's the closer version, plus you're running toward it. So the distance was already set when did the special but you're now physically closer to it. You can do this in mid air also and it will appear the same set distance in air from when you input it. Walking and doing it also gets closer version because it's a tilt.

But I still find it wildy challenging and inconsistent to do the closer one. I have the same problem with tilt attacks to. Naturally I'm flicking everything and find tilt inputs to be difficult.
Probably the case.

As for your tilt problem, try lowering the sensitivity on your stick. Should really help.

MaverickF

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-2129-3335-5904
Hey thanks, mate. This move is so good for edgeguarding and mix ups.

NintendoParty

Smash Cadet

Where the explosion goes off is based on how long you hold in the direction you are going to attack before pressing B(special). The longer you move/hold in a direction, the closer it will be to you.

For the closest range, dash/hold for a full second, then press B(special), the explosion will be almost immediately in front of you, but with just enough room that most opponents who are close enough to grab you, will avoid damage. You can use this to fake out opponents that think you are going for a dash attack, and just pull an Explosive Flame on them before you get into range for a normal attack.

If you dash/hold for less than 1 second, then press B(special), the explosion will be a little bit farther away, but not by much.

Please consider editing with accurate information or deleting so others don't get false information. Thanks

Dark Lady

A Red Witch
It is, most definitely, not based on the amount of time the stick is held in that direction. I found ways to buffer it to test your theory out, and it doesn't hold up.

Top Bottom