• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Exploring DI mixups, RARing, crossups, pivots, "advanced" move usage

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
This is a thread designed to kickstart discussion and house discoveries on an area of Smash 4 that remains very underdeveloped, that being its mixup game. I'm especially interested in viable DI mixups and usage of RARing (earlier hitboxes, different KB angles, hurtbox shrinking, crossups), but anything that goes beyond the basic applications of moves is welcome here. Let's see what we can find!

I'll start off with a few I know:

Sheiks get great mileage out of RARing upairs for kills. It's quite hard to notice and normal survival DI becomes the worst possible DI, netting much earlier kills. I barely see this documented anywhere but it seems sooo useful.

Mr. R recently debuted crossup bair > fsmash as Sheik to bait out a shield grab, and it worked like 7 times in his sets.

Now it's your turn!!!

Last edited:

DeaDea

Smash Cadet
If you DI towards Pikachu when he down-throws then its a guaranteed thunder at nearly every percent.

If you notice someone keeps DI'ing left/right from the up-throw thunder combo you can use that to your advantage and get the down-throw -> thunder combo guaranteed if you grab them while facing the opposite direction they tend to DI to.

If they catch onto this they will start DI'ing away from the direction Pikachu is facing, which means you can get attempt an up-throw -> RAR -> Thunder combo knowing they are going to DI towards the direction Pikachu is facing.

ESAM also uses RAR -> Up-airs a lot with Pikachu as the hitbox starts earlier from pikachu's ass (http://i.imgur.com/w2E7GIc.gif)

Last edited:

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
One aspect of DI that I do not see discussed much is when you get hit and DI in such a way that you choose to either tech on a platform or intentionally not teching and going off the ledge of a platform and landing on the ground as if you hopped. It could be optimal to do this if your opponent is below you just waiting to punish a platform tech.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Breaking news. The Sheik upair mixup refers to crossing up in the air with a hitbox that launches in the opposite angle. It has nothing to do with RARing. Thanks VoiD.

Top Bottom