• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Experimental music

NotaSkeleton

Smash Cadet
Are there any people here into experimental stuff? Stuff like glitch, drone, breakcore and various other IDM genres, post-rock, jazz fusion, vaporwave, whatever.
What do you think it is that pull people to explore unconventional music? Does it matter if it's actually enjoyable to listen to? How far can you go before crossing the line of what is defined as music?

Peff

Smash Cadet
How far can you go before crossing the line of what is defined as music?
Noise. Drone is still good, because it usually has some kind of actual... tone to it? Scratchy, obnoxious, loud, crackly, crappy noise is just where I draw the line.

What do you think it is that pull people to explore unconventional music?
Breakcore and IDM in particular can really bring something to the table if you find the right stuff. I doubt I'm ever fully getting the intended message of songs, but I'll still feel as if I'm getting something... sometimes. There's lots of times where I won't feel anything for certain tracks, it just doesn't "click" for me, and it feels as if the song isn't conveying anything. But when it feels like a song is trying to convey something, and I can grasp onto it somehow, someway, that's where the magical feeling really is. Here's a song that really "clicks" for me:

A problem for me is that I'm always wondering if I'm just some kind of hipster that tries to like "weird" music just to be different, and that if my thinking that I can "understand" "weird" songs is total BS, and I'm actually just some pretentious kid. Sometimes, though, it's simply the technicality of some of the beats made that appeals to me, for some reason. Something is just so wonderful about being able to follow the hectic patterns (if they even are patterns). It's the same feeling I get when I play Stepmania. A perfect example of something that really satisfies my hunger for over-technicality:

https://soundcloud.com/https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fpenciler%2Fhatsune-miku-live-core-1 (the climax @4:07 specifically)

_______

I've also been listening to a lot of future funk and Japanese disco lately. Apparently it's connected to vaporwave in some way? I dunno. It's just fun to groove to, and it really picks up the mood.

https://soundcloud.com/https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fceruleancerise%2Fjupiters-wish
Does it matter if it's actually enjoyable to listen to?
Heck yeah. If it's not even enjoyable to listen to in some way, there's no reason to listen to it. If someone is listening to something that they cannot stand just to say that they listen to experimental, unique music, that's the dumbest thing ever.

Last edited:

Fox who?

Smash Cadet
NNID
xanhil
3DS FC
4957-6199-7845
I enjoy the 70s psychedelic scene. Todd Rundgren, Can, early 70s Pink Floyd, Morton Sobotnik (he might be late 60s) all appeal to me more than pretty much anything. I try to listen to a large array of style, but 70s psych is something I always come back too.

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
I like instrumental hip hip, so I think that's kinda weird. Maybe. I don't really know what's mainstream anymore, I just use YouTube for music.

DerpyCookies

Smash Rookie
I enjoy some experimental music. I've been trying to get into post rock, I've listened to Godspeed You Black Emperor and liked it quite a bit, I also enjoy Talk Talk, Mogwai, Slint, and Stereolab. I like post punk quite a bit as well, which often has experimentation(The Pop Group, This Heat, Public Image Ltd, etc.). I'm alright with IDM, but I have yet to have any IDM artist generally interest me. Some vaporwave is okay too (Oneohtrix Point Never, Blank Banshee, James Ferraro). My personal favorite type of experimental music is krautrock, it's kind of all over the place and you never know what you're going to get. In some cases it's more rock (Can, Neu!, Faust) and in others it's more electronic (Tangerine Dream, Post-Autobahn Kraftwerk, Cluster). I just love it. I'm also a fan of Zappa, Beefheart, and the Residents. I never really could get into stuff like noise or industrial though, but I suppose it's not for everyone.

notkaleb

Smash Rookie
Just discovered vaporwave like a week ago...
****s lit

I've also been listening to a lot of future funk and Japanese disco lately. Apparently it's connected to vaporwave in some way? I dunno. It's just fun to groove to, and it really picks up the mood.
Yeah Future Funk is considered a sub genre of vaporwave

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
I enjoy the 70s psychedelic scene. Todd Rundgren, Can, early 70s Pink Floyd, Morton Sobotnik (he might be late 60s) all appeal to me more than pretty much anything. I try to listen to a large array of style, but 70s psych is something I always come back too.
Well **** me in the *** and call me a prick. Smashboards, of all places...

Maybe he's not as obscure as I thought; he's the soundtrack to my life bro.

I came into this thread thinking The Spark of Life, side 2 of Initiation, but never in a million years would I have thought he would've been brought up, especially within the first few posts.

Let me teach you guys about Todd in a few seconds.

Scores a top 5 hit in 1973; this is a song on his following album:

For starters, get yourself a copy of A Wizard, A True Star if you're into psychedelia/pseudo-experimental.

I think this is the real meat and potatoes of the experimental stuff:

Fox who?

Smash Cadet
NNID
xanhil
3DS FC
4957-6199-7845
Well **** me in the *** and call me a prick. Smashboards, of all places...

Maybe he's not as obscure as I thought; he's the soundtrack to my life bro.

I came into this thread thinking The Spark of Life, side 2 of Initiation, but never in a million years would I have thought he would've been brought up, especially within the first few posts.

Let me teach you guys about Todd in a few seconds.

Scores a top 5 hit in 1973; this is a song on his following album:

For starters, get yourself a copy of A Wizard, A True Star if you're into psychedelia/pseudo-experimental.

I think this is the real meat and potatoes of the experimental stuff:

Well well well, a Todd brother!! I didn't think anyone here would recognize him, though I had some hope when I saw some other thread mentioning Can.

Hello It's Me is a gem, though I will say, Dogfight Giggle was an interesting choice to link. I was expecting something along the lines of Onionhead.

Or another ban-bait jam I won't link ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

My other fav was Something/Anything, especially the song Breathless

I have to ask you, what other music are you into? Hearing someone else talk about Todd (and as you said, on Smashboards no less) is one of the most invigorating feelings!

Last edited:

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Susumu Hirasawa is the KING of experimental music. His music is indescribable, yet so ****ing catchy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom