• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Expecting another character? TOO BAD! WALUIGI TIME!" (Thread Repurposed as a Waluigi Social)

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Been a Waluigi supporter from the moment I found out what Smash was. Add me to the supporters list please!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've been rather slacking on the front post due to the semester, but I'm almost finished, so I'll be able to finally update the front post with more than just adding supporters and movesets and other stuff (which I also need to catch up on :V) within the next couple of weeks.
Patience, my WAAthren. I'm currently in the middle of finals. :V

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
i'm here and proud to say that Waluigi is one of my top wishlist!. :-)
underdog, evil, mad, will be great with a K.ROOL DUO.
my man, my BOI : WALUIGI

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
one thing I've noticed through some Japanese Google searches is that Waluigi isn't that big a Smash pick in Japan, BUT I don't think that goes against him, at least not on a major level. Sakurai is always trying to appeal to foreign audiences, especially with Smash 3DS/Wii U (Duck Hunt and Punch-Out are iconic, nostalgic games in the west, but in Japan they're seen in the same way as any old generic Clu Clu Land or Urban Champion as far as I can tell, especially Duck Hunt) and with my Japanese Google searches, this may be mistranslated, but Waluigi is known in Japan for his popularity in the west (think how we know about Tingle's popularity in Japan). althrough Google Translate has made these sentences a bit wonky, the general vibe is still there "There are many overseas fans who wish to participate in Waruige" "watching the fairly popular assist figure 'Waluigi' overseas are very wonderful!" "Waruiji boasts overwhelming popularity abroad!"

I'm going to look more into Japanese reception to Waluigi. from what I've read, Japanese audiences are somewhat indifferent on him, but he does have his fans over in the land of the rising sun.

Last edited:

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
do you have a top 5 of top newcomer they want? ( the Japanese)
( did k.rool or ridley is? :-( or... just anime character?
i'm interesting about it

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I used to hate Waluigi until recently. Now I've done a complete 180. Here's hoping he finally gets his time in smash!

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
It's funny - the Smash scene I'm a part of in Albuquerque apparently has this thing for Waluigi.

Might as well add me as a supporter. I want Captain Toad first, but my ideal would be both of them.

Staarih

Smash Master

Waluigi is slowly winning me over and moonwalking in Aces is just the cherry on top of the cake.

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Found this cool moveset on Twitter.
This is exactly how I imagine Waluigi for Smash.
An item-based sport freak with the silliest, most ridiculous animations.

We need this in Smash.

TooBadWaluigiTime

Smash Apprentice
Waluigi is one of the 9 playable characters in the Mario Tennis Aces demo and not Luigi, Wario, or Donkey Kong and I don't know why but I love it.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Waluigi is one of the 9 playable characters in the Mario Tennis Aces demo and not Luigi, Wario, or Donkey Kong and I don't know why but I love it.
for some reason I feel there's some kind of reason for Waluigi's inclusion in all the Aces promo material. my best guesses are:

his significance to the Mario Tennis series (the most likely option here)
a "FellowKids" moment that defied all odds and went beautifully right (second most likely)
the team is just really proud of the animations they made for Waluigi (middle ground in likeliness)
an attempt to hype up a potential Smash inclusion (unlikely)
an attempt to make Waluigi more appealing to Japanese gamers so a Waluigi inclusion in future Smash games is more logical to them (even more unlikely)

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Waluigi‘s got some hot moves in Aces, omg!
Loving him even more niw

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Only one thing to say:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Seriously though, I don't care what anyone says about him. Waluigi is MADE for Smash, he fits the zany, violent vibe that the entire game gave out so much in the first place.

Especially when it comes to the more cartoonier side of characters like him.

Spin-offs? Give me a break. Smash Bros is basically a spin-off on it's own.
It just doesn't right having all these Mario characters duking out with various items and vast stages without Waluigi joining the arena.

It's outright insulting that someone like him gets relegated to a crappy assist trophy, if fighting goofballs Duck Hunt, Villager, or even the damn Wii Fit Trainer can fight, why not good ol Wah? (inb4 MUH SALES AND REPRESENTATION)

I dare someone to come in my face and say that he doesn't fit in Smash yet people like Bayonetta and Cloud apparently do (don't hate them btw).

Full support baby.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I want to join in on this bandWAHgon. Waluigi is much too popular to be ignored for Smash any longer. Top that off with a GTA parody game with Wario where they try to scam people for money and avoid getting chased by the cops ala the Mario Power Tennis intro, and maybe more people will warm up to him. He deserves it.

I give my support for this WAHnderful man and his crotch chops to be playable.

TooBadWaluigiTime

Smash Apprentice
Call me crazy, but I think Waluigi in Smash 5 could potentially be revealed at E3.

Think about it. Mario Tennis Aces will most likely be at E3, near the end of it, with one last trailer. Smash 5 will probably be at the end of the E3, as a sort of "the moment you all have been waiting for" thing. Imagine a Waluigi reveal trailer, making it essentially a part of the Aces part of the presentation, that segways to Smash 5. It's perfect.

TheSoldier

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2020-0559-7730
Call me crazy, but I think Waluigi in Smash 5 could potentially be revealed at E3.

Think about it. Mario Tennis Aces will most likely be at E3, near the end of it, with one last trailer. Smash 5 will probably be at the end of the E3, as a sort of "the moment you all have been waiting for" thing. Imagine a Waluigi reveal trailer, making it essentially a part of the Aces part of the presentation, that segways to Smash 5. It's perfect.
Yes, yes I need this, I need this like NOW.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp

Personally I kinda think that Smash is gonna lead the presentation but I don't have any concrete reason to think that. Though it does allow for the potential hype moments of the initial Smash presentation being followed by every other game and any time a game has a character in smash they do the character trailer immediately after that games section so the entire presentation is building hype for Smash (and then 1 big reveal at the end to be discussed in the Treehouse or something).

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Please don't take this offensively

But please someone

Enlighten me as to why Waluigi is so popular, why he's better than Daisy to be in Smash, etc.

Because he's a spinoff character and I never understood why he's so wanted but Daisy isn't, and why he's so popular, but I always have wanted to see why Waluigi has such a strong following

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Please don't take this offensively

But please someone

Enlighten me as to why Waluigi is so popular, why he's better than Daisy to be in Smash, etc.

Because he's a spinoff character and I never understood why he's so wanted but Daisy isn't, and why he's so popular, but I always have wanted to see why Waluigi has such a strong following
Extremely quirky personality, voice clips, design, etcetera. Everything about him screams humorously zany and many people find that charming (and meme-worthy, bless BitF). In a universe like Mario's, he manages to stand out and it's amazing that he hasn't gotten his own game yet to capitalize on that potential.

SonicMario

Smash Master
why he's so wanted but Daisy isn't
Someone already has and/or others already will better explain why Waluigi is wanted more. But on Daisy, you can kinda thank certain toxic fan(/s) that went obsessed so much to her that they turned many others off including fellow Daisy fans off supporting her for Smash.

I think Waluigi and Daisy are somewhat in the same boat when it comes to Smash. If one gets in, the other is certain either together in the same game or absolutely in the next game.

But when it comes to popularity, Waluigi has been fully embraced by many internet communities (Even if much of that is for the memes, but meme popularity might still come off as not so different to normal popularity to Nintendo) while Daisy just has her reputation in tatters thanks to again some of her toxic fans. Waluigi probably has some of his own toxic fans, but none that I've heard of go to the level of infamy of some who have vouched for Daisy.

If you prefer Daisy yourself, that's perfectly fine. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised that if a newcomer trailer starts on a tennis court. They showcase Waluigi first, but they'd likely also have to have someone on the other end show some stuff. And could very well likely be Daisy coming in too. But Waluigi just certainly is the more exciting character for most just based on design alone where most see Daisy as a Semi-Clone of Peach (Not saying Daisy couldn't be unique, but it seems a likely possibility they'd go that route) at best and Waluigi's body frame alone prevents him from being a clone of anybody.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I've said this before and I'll say it again, I want both Waluigi and Daisy. they really aren't that similar so they could co-exist in the case of Smash. Waluigi breaks the rules, Daisy embraces them. there's all sorts of stuff you can do with the 2 individually.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
TBH, I was never too big on Waluigi getting into Smash. I viewed him as a C-tier Mario character like Daisy or Captain Toad who would only be added as playable characters because there would be no one else left.

Then I played the demo for Mario Tennis Aces and fell in love with him. The moonwalk, the rose, the pirouette... As Sakurai would put it, I can now see the character dancing in my head (quite literally).

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I supoort. His whacky personality allows him to pull off everything and I can't wait for Sakurai to unleash his creativity to make a great moveset.
And yeah, his moveset should celebrate that personality instead of having his playstyle be "holds a tennis racket". The erratic tantrums, zany grace and over-the-top physical expression provide a proper base for a moveset already without resorting to out-of-hammerspace sports and spin-offs.

TooBadWaluigiTime

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I made a thing for Waluigi's specials.

B: Bom-omb Serve- Waluigi throws a Bom-omb up in the air and serves it with his tennis racket, as if it were a tennis ball. The Bom-omb is, of course, weaker than the normal Bom-omb but it still deals decent damage. 17%. If Waluigi fails to serve it, the Bom-Omb will land on his face, dealing the same amount of percent. There is 5 out of a 100 chance that Waluigi will serve a Whiskered Eggplant (which is just an eggplant with Waluigi's mustache on it) instead. Upon contact, the enemy will
-be poisoned, dealing 1% every 5 seconds.
-get a mustache, similar to Waluigi's.
-lose their B move.
-get a throwable Whiskered Eggplant as a replacement.
All of these effects will go on for 1 whole minute. To end the effects sooner, the enemy must hit Waluigi with a Whiskered Eggplant.

Side-B: Swimming Return- Waluigi will defy the laws of gravity and swim through the air. Waluigi will perform 3 strokes, each dealing 5%. If done while airborne, press down and Waluigi will perform a swan dive, buring ground opponents, spiking airborne ones, and deal 9%. Taken from the Waluigi mod from Brawl.

Up-B: Whirluigi- Waluigi spins around, causing a small tornado around him to carry him back up to the stage. This move is similar to Wario's Up-B, as this move multi-hits, each hit dealing 3%, and also similar to Luigi's Down-B, as the more times you press the B button the higher Waluigi goes. However, the top and bottom of Waluigi will be exposed and can be hit.

Down-B: Deep Pockets- Waluigi scrounges around in his pockets and puts out a random Mario Kart item. Green Shell, Banana Peel, Fire Flower, Boomerang, Blue Shell, or Bom-omb. Oh course, each item is weaker than its normal counterpart. The item you get depends on how good or bad you're doing in a fight. There is a 10 out of 100 chance that Waluigi won't pull out anything useful and pull out something that results in a funny animation, leaving Waluigi wide open.

So, what do you guys think?

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Oh, I made a thing for Waluigi's specials.
Neutral B: A minute is a long time to lose a move. I would condense those effects into 30 seconds (the poison damage would be 2% rather than 1% to compensate). Also, since Waluigi has to toss it up, it would be a very telegraphed move that's all too easy to shield. To compensate, there should either be a brief window where he could serve it on the first few frames, or the move that's lost should be the one that the opponent has used most often so far in the battle to make it much more dangerous. Definitely keep the mustache effect though. That is all too meme-worthy.

Down B: Since these items already exist and the concept is similar to Villager's pocket, this feels uninspired and unreliable since there's a 1 in 10 chance you'd get RNG-screwed. I would replace it with a move where he places a Piranha Plant down that would bite any opponent that gets close. This would have to be well-balanced in order to not be overpowered on the ledge, like being defeated after one attack, but a stationary obstacle that deals damage on its own would be new to Smash (Duck Hunt's gunmen are essentially just a projectile that lasts for a much shorter time than what I would have in mind).

Up B: The recovery itself is basic, but it's strangely symbolic with how it's inspired by both the people he's overshadowed by. The name is perfect too. The only other ideas I would have would be making it the Air Swim that you used for Side B, using the Wall-Luigi ability from Strikers to create a walkable thorny path, or comically propelling himself upwards with a bob-omb.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I've never been a big Waluigi guy. Mainly because I'm not the biggest Mario series fan in the world, but I'd support him. Unique and quirky with a sports based moveset. I think he'd be THE Mario spin off character to make it in.

D

Deleted member

E3 is approaching, but even if Waluigi is playable, i don't think he would be revealed at E3 (then again, Palutena was revealed at E3) so im not sure we will see him there.

But hopefully Waluigi will unleash his glory as playable character, as an act of pity on us, shameful human beigns that don't deserve the magnificence of such a beautiful God.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
E3 is approaching, but even if Waluigi is playable, i don't think he would be revealed at E3 (then again, Palutena was revealed at E3) so im not sure we will see him there.
There's a chance. He's certainly recognizable enough to be shown at E3; more so than Palutena likely was. He doesn't really scream DLC material to me since he doesn't advertise a new game where he is the main focus nor is he a not a hype third party/cut veteran everyone would immediately pay for. His best chance is before release because why would you make him a secret character and hide his beautiful face from the public. There will almost certainly be a Smash direct before launch so I think that's just as likely a time as E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom