• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Expecting another character? TOO BAD! WALUIGI TIME!" (Thread Repurposed as a Waluigi Social)

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
w..wow. people are really harassing Sakurai about this? that's pretty sad. and definitely doesn't represent true Waluigi fans.
I'm as sad as the next guy to see Waluigi get deconfirmed. and in such a disrespectful way. but that shouldn't mean people should do something that inappropriate. that's only going to hurt the cause.

umm.. shouldn't that be that we truly DON'T condone this behavior T-Donor66?
Whoops, lemme fix that.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
If the Waluigi fanbase could stop sending violent, harassing tweets to Sakurai, that’d be great. Photoshopping Sakurai’s face onto Hitler? Onto 9/11? What is wrong with this fanbase?

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
If the Waluigi fanbase could stop sending violent, harassing tweets to Sakurai, that’d be great. Photoshopping Sakurai’s face onto Hitler? Onto 9/11? What is wrong with this fanbase?
Yeah, just come onto our thread and post that without reading the tons of posts DENOUNCING this behavior. What is wrong with you? The actions of one troll now means that we are responsible for it? You should be ashamed in yourself for thinking in such a foolish and closed minded manner.

Last edited:

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Yeah, just come onto our thread and post that without reading the tons of posts DENOUNCING this behavior. What is wrong with you? The actions of one troll now means that we are responsible for it? You should be ashamed in yourself for thinking in such a foolish and closed minded manner.
Your Reddit post got deleted. If you have it saved anywhere I’d be happy to read it to see your point of view. But Sakurai puts his heart and souls into these games for us, and members of your fanbase are harassing him. Sorry for thinking that sucks.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
I'm gonna pop back in and say that it sucks that some folloWAAs are taking this waaaaay out of proportion, it's not fair for them to paint a whole picture of this fanbase as I know A LOT of cool people that would have loved Waluigi. However. . .

I swear, saying Waluigi is just a meme and that he has no potential moveset is the new “Ridley is too big circlejerk. You know whats funny? I keep seeing that argument being spread around by Daisy fans (or memoryman3 alts). As if orange peach has more moveset potential than Waluigi? Anyways, although high exposure can be good, I don’t want it to come at the cost of being hated by the community.
It's comments like these that give Waluigi fans that bad rep. There's literally no need to degrade Daisy by calling her "orange peach" and by implying that Waluigi has more moveset potential when they've been in the exact same games (well actually, Daisy has been in more, shoot even Super Mario Run). I really do feel for you guys even if I don't care much for Waluigi since it sucks being disconfirmed and having your competition make it in but belittling Daisy/her fans isn't necessary and it really does go against what you're saying that you don't condone the behavior of the Waluigi extremists.

idk that's just my two cents, i think to get guys to really know you mean what you say you shouldn't make snarky remarks at other characters/fans. but maybe i took this too seriously? idk

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
I'm gonna pop back in and say that it sucks that some folloWAAs are taking this waaaaay out of proportion, it's not fair for them to paint a whole picture of this fanbase as I know A LOT of cool people that would have loved Waluigi. However. . .

It's comments like these that give Waluigi fans that bad rep. There's literally no need to degrade Daisy by calling her "orange peach" and by implying that Waluigi has more moveset potential when they've been in the exact same games (well actually, Daisy has been in more, shoot even Super Mario Run). I really do feel for you guys even if I don't care much for Waluigi since it sucks being disconfirmed and having your competition make it in but belittling Daisy/her fans isn't necessary and it really does go against what you're saying that you don't condone the behavior of the Waluigi extremists.

idk that's just my two cents, i think to get guys to really know you mean what you say you shouldn't make snarky remarks at other characters/fans. but maybe i took this too seriously? idk
You are right, and I apologize. But after being harassed by three separate Daisy fan accounts on Twitter that day, I grew VERY bitter regarding her inclusion. I apologize for that and recognize the hypocrisy behind it. I’ve edited it to not mention Daisy.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Hey everyone. I just made a post on Reddit regarding the recent trolling and harassment that is making us be loathed by the community. Give it a read if you wish. I did this because just one glance at this thread shows that we are genuine fans of Waluigi, and that we truly don’t condone this behavior. Give it a read if you wish: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...ease_dont_let_trolls/?st=JILTYQ9Q&sh=9e931886
I saw your post on Reddit and let me be the first to say...some of these "supporters" posted very offensive stuff, tagging Sakurai in it and pretty much were being a prick to the guy no real reason. Some grown people think it's funny (?) to do something like this and it really makes me question their mentalities.
Edit: Whoops looks like I'm second to describe what was posted and to clarify I don't feel the supporters of Waluigi on here aren't bad. Heck, I'd love to play as him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

-sigh-
Can a mod just lock this thread already?

Nothing good can come from it still being open after E3....

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
I am really upset. We are beginning to be loathed by the Smash community thanks to the thousands of fake supporters spamming annoying Waluigi memes everywhere. People are just beginning to assume that we only want him in as a meme, but that is so far from the truth. I genuinely love the character, and I hate how people are making us look disingenuous. Its really upsetting and we need to condone it.
I swear, saying Waluigi is just a meme and that he has no potential moveset is the new “Ridley is too big circle jerk. Although high exposure can be good, I don’t want it to come at the cost of being hated by the community.
This is exactly what I've been saying here since day one! And even here some people criticized my posts!

Now that Ridley's in, Waluigi is my most wanted newcomer… for the NEXT smash game (and no, he's not gonna be a dlc). We need to accept that he is an AT and APPRECIATE what a wonderful game we got that a lot of us probably don't deserve.

We must stop this madness, it only hurts everyone.
And neither Sakurai nor his team nor Nintendo deserve all this s**t

This situation really bugs me! People only want an excuse to b***h about everything!
I know people here in this thread are not like that, but I also know you understand what I'm saying.

PhantomZkullX79

Smash Rookie
NNID
PhantomZkullX79
3DS FC
2251-6588-1189
This incident may have given Waluigi fans a bad name, but I still have hope that one day, Waluigi will be playable.
For those who say he won't be playable in SSBU, I did say that there are solutions to this. Also, Palkia appears on Spear Pillar and as a Poké Ball Pokémon, so if we can have a stage hazard also be an assist character, why can't we have an assist character also be a playable character?

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
In addition, Smashboards does not condone harassment, cyber bullying, or anything of like manner; both on site and off site. Taking part in the harassment and/or organizing it here on the forums is strictly and utterly prohibited. Please report any such actions to the staff members.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
It has been decided to reopen the Waluigi thread. Please keep discussion civil and on topic. Attacking Waluigi fans is not permitted so please don’t. Please try to respect each others opinions.

Have fun.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Geno fan here hoping for his series mate to get in! Waluigi could always be miscellaneous DLC in the future, especially with possible AT promotions not being out of the question yet. With Assist Alliance going strong, I have faith that he could still appear. I'm not a big Waluigi fan and am more of a Waluigi memer, admittedly, but I'd like to see him make it to Smash for his fans. Plus, he'd probably be a blast to play with because he's such an absolute goof of a character, him and his genie shoes.

TooBadWaluigiTime

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, with all the support Waluigi has gotten, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo actually decides to use him for than just sports. Make him the secondary antagonist of Luigi's Mansion 3 or something.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I would love to see Waluigi in! He really is the next best mainstream Mario choice.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Waluigi is a lock for the next Smash easily.

And that's me being serious. What major Mario characters we got left? His only real competition is really Captain Toad, Geno, and Paper Mario.|

And he's one AT that still keeps the biggest fandom as far as Smash

Quillion

Smash Hero
I brought this up in the Geno thread, and I want to bring this up again: why should a mere spinoff character be in Smash anyway? Being a spinoff exclusive character gives him very little clout when it comes to prominence in the Mario universe; Captain Toad has far more clout than he does.

Next you'll say "Daisy". And to that I say that Daisy actually has main series presence with Super Mario Land.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I brought this up in the Geno thread, and I want to bring this up again: why should a mere spinoff character be in Smash anyway? Being a spinoff exclusive character gives him very little clout when it comes to prominence in the Mario universe; Captain Toad has far more clout than he does.

Next you'll say "Daisy". And to that I say that Daisy actually has main series presence with Super Mario Land.
Dr.Mario is a spinoff character. He has not appeared in a Super Mario Bros. game.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
At least he's an incarnation of Mario. He's even been repurposed to be "Mario with Tornado" in Smash's context.
Yeah, but that was not the reason he was put in originally back in the days of Melee. And just because he is version of Mario does not really give him a pass on having his spinoff origin.

TooBadWaluigiTime

Smash Apprentice

Regardless of whether or not Waluigi is a spinoff character, he's one of the most recognizable Mario characters, displaying large amounts of personality. He's defined himself as the sleazy cheater in the Mario universe, and a lot of people know his gorgeous face.

Plus, relevance isn't the only thing that has to be there. In GDC 2008, Sakurai said that the personality they display, things that only that character can do, and potential development issues and game balance are also taken into consideration.

Also, I'd argue that people overestimate Daisy's appearance in Super Mario Land. Sure, she did appear in a mainline. However, this was only for around 5 seconds, with a ending message that basically boils down to "Hey, thanks for saving me." You could have just said she was Peach and no one would be any the wiser. Ever since then, she's been in the same spinoff hell Waluigi resides in. I'm not saying that Super Mario Land did nothing, but people still overestimate it.

D

Deleted member

Oh my God, one measly game where she was a Peach clone and that gives you all the right to come into this thread as soon as it's open to start something.

Get out.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord

I think if enough people want a character then maybe it wouldn't hurt to overlook the deep and profound Mario canon just this once.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
I don't mind the arguments against Waluigi, but defending Daisy at the same time?
Yes, Daisy was in Super Mario Land. For five seconds at the end. She could be easily confused with Peach if no one told you the monochromatic spite of a princess was in fact, Daisy. After Super Mario Land, Sarasaland never appeared again. The one thing Daisy had to her name for her main~series appearances has never appeared again. She was relegated to being Peach's partner in the spinoffs and I'd argue that without the spinoffs, Daisy wouldn't have nearly as much clout as she holds today. Without the spinoffs, she'd have barely any semblance of a personality. Any sense of a character the fans hold dear wouldn't exist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And who's to say a character needs main~series prevalence in order to be considered a candidate for Smash? By that logic, the Fake Bowser from Super Mario Bros. deserves a spot over Waluigi due to his core series appearances. The spinoff titles hold over 80 million sales for the Kart and Party titles alone. I'd say there's more then enough moveset material.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Either or, Waluigi's a valid candidate for Smash, and there's no changing my mind on that.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Because Waluigi’s a famous, iconic and beloved videogame character? I didn’t know being from a spin-off barred you from inclusion.

Oh wait, it doesn’t. Joker is DLC.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I can't believe it took less than 24 hours for this **** to start about his clout.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Plenty of people don't understand why Wario's default outfit isn't the yellow cap and shirt with purple overalls. It's not just because of Wario Land, to a majority, he's part of the spinoff ensemble as well. For reference, WarioWare Smooth Moves doesn't even have 10% of the sales of Mario Kart Wii.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Quillion Quillion

The moderation reopened this thread because the entire thing with Waluigi (for which this thread was closed by request) has since passed. As well, there are people who actually do like this character, wants to see him in Smash, have reasons for wanting to, and want to freely discuss the character freely. You are free to ask why people support a character they like but bear in mind that your response to them will depend on how the moderation acts. They are allowed to like/support a character, regardless how minuscule that role is.

And to the rest of the thread, Waluigi gets tons of crap as you guys know well. Please try to act mature and graceful when people do come in here asking questions or questions anting to discuss why he shouldn’t be included. And as always, please report any questionable posts and the moderation will look into it.

D

Deleted member

Gotta support my Purple Hero too. When i first bought MK8 i immediatedly chose Waluigi as my main character of choice, and it has been that way ever since.

WAH.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Not to mention that WarioWare is a spinoff series and Sakurai pretends those are the only Wario games that exist.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

I understand that differing opinions should be respected, and I respect yours. With that said, though, maybe it wasn't the best idea to come in with this as soon as the thread opened back up, having been closed before because of strife. Stirring up more isn't going to make this thread last long.

That being said, I can't say I understand your standards. You mentioned in one thread that Geno shouldn't be in Smash, but to let you know when he's a staple spin-off character before talking about whether he should be in Smash or not. Then, however, you level him to the same clout as Waluigi for being a spin-off character, saying a spin-off character shouldn't be in Smash anyway. I can't follow what you're saying here. Geno shouldn't be in until he's a spin-off character, but Waluigi, a spin-off character, shouldn't be in? The Daisy argument wouldn't work for Geno in this instance, either, given the Mario RPGs are also spin-off series.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Quillion Quillion

The moderation reopened this thread because the entire thing with Waluigi (for which this thread was closed by request) has since passed. As well, there are people who actually do like this character, wants to see him in Smash, have reasons for wanting to, and want to freely discuss the character freely. You are free to ask why people support a character they like but bear in mind that your response to them will depend on how the moderation acts. They are allowed to like/support a character, regardless how minuscule that role is.

And to the rest of the thread, Waluigi gets tons of crap as you guys know well. Please try to act mature and graceful when people do come in here asking questions or questions anting to discuss why he shouldn’t be included. And as always, please report any questionable posts and the moderation will look into it.
I apologize if I came off as too aggressive.

I don't really see Waluigi being playable as a bad thing. I just think there's a big barrier to his inclusion: spinoff characters being excluded, and I can definitely see why.

It's because Smash has so much things to focus on that focusing purely on main series content is for the best. Could you imagine Linkle or Lana over, say, Skull Kid or Impa? Rowan or Shareena over Hector or Alm? Main series characters are just inherently more important to their series over spinoff characters.

I understand that differing opinions should be respected, and I respect yours. With that said, though, maybe it wasn't the best idea to come in with this as soon as the thread opened back up, having been closed before because of strife. Stirring up more isn't going to make this thread last long.

That being said, I can't say I understand your standards. You mentioned in one thread that Geno shouldn't be in Smash, but to let you know when he's a staple spin-off character before talking about whether he should be in Smash or not. Then, however, you level him to the same clout as Waluigi for being a spin-off character, saying a spin-off character shouldn't be in Smash anyway. I can't follow what you're saying here. Geno shouldn't be in until he's a spin-off character, but Waluigi, a spin-off character, shouldn't be in? The Daisy argument wouldn't work for Geno in this instance, either, given the Mario RPGs are also spin-off series.
I said over in the Geno thread that I put Waluigi above Geno in terms of being a staple spinoff character, but I also said, if you recall, that I think Waluigi should also be barred for being a spinoff character. I put Geno below Waluigi because Geno is also a one-shot and not a franchise-wide main character at the same time.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I said over in the Geno thread that I put Waluigi above Geno in terms of being a staple spinoff character, but I also said, if you recall, that I think Waluigi should also be barred for being a spinoff character. I put Geno below Waluigi because Geno is also a one-shot and not a franchise-wide main character at the same time.
I understand that, but that would mean that the implication of your view on Geno changing if he became a spin-off staple is invalid when that, in reality, wouldn't actually change much. Saying that they should be barred because of spin-off exclusivity while simultaneously saying to let you know when Geno is a spin-off staple before taking his Smash inclusion seriously is contradictory. So, basically, it's just that your wording was very odd and came off as battling your own viewpoints.

That clarifies things, though, so thank you for that.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I apologize if I came off as too aggressive.

I don't really see Waluigi being playable as a bad thing. I just think there's a big barrier to his inclusion: spinoff characters being excluded, and I can definitely see why.

It's because Smash has so much things to focus on that focusing purely on main series content is for the best. Could you imagine Linkle or Lana over, say, Skull Kid or Impa? Rowan or Shareena over Hector or Alm? Main series characters are just inherently more important to their series over spinoff characters.

Spin-off characters are not excluded though. It’s never been that way.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Hey, I just made a moveset video about Waluigi! Would love to hear thoughts on it.
I really liked this moveset! It fit very well and the tennis gimmick is great. One question though, did you consider the crotch chop as a possible taunt or victory pose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom