• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Expecting another character? TOO BAD! WALUIGI TIME!" (Thread Repurposed as a Waluigi Social)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhantomZkullX79

Smash Rookie
NNID
PhantomZkullX79
3DS FC
2251-6588-1189
Guys, what if Waluigi was an assist trophy AND a playable character?
Here's how it'd work: When Waluigi isn't being played by anybody, he's an assist trophy. When someone's using him though, someone else takes his place as an assist trophy character, possibly a generic Mario enemy.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
While I didn't support him at first, there is a saying that you don't know you want something until it's taken away from you, and that pretty much happened to me.

Seeming as the game is still in development things may be possible to change, and hopefully they change for the better. If he were to be a character and assist trophy through at the same time I feel like the assist trophy or him would actually be locked away from rom the RNG selection of assist trophy characters when he's being played as, then when he's not he can be an assist trophy.

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
I see a lot of people still thinking he can be playable… guys we have to accept it, and I'm telling you this being one of those who believed the "Ridley's Shadow Theory"... these kinds of cospiracy thoeries are not good. As sad as it is, he's an AT.

But the good thing is, I have seen A LOT of people wanting him, more than I actually thought. We should use this in the next speculation, maybe Ridley won't be the only purple character to make it in thanks to popular demand ;)
But for now we should just calm down. Remember, Daisy's not our enemy :grin:

And also, this is really a very good game IMO. And Ridley is playable :love:

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
I see a lot of people still thinking he can be playable… guys we have to accept it, and I'm telling you this being one of those who believed the "Ridley's Shadow Theory"... these kinds of cospiracy thoeries are not good. As sad as it is, he's an AT.

But the good thing is, I have seen A LOT of people wanting him, more than I actually thought. We should use this in the next speculation, maybe Ridley won't be the only purple character to make it in thanks to popular demand ;)
But for now we should just calm down. Remember, Daisy's not our enemy :grin:

And also, this is really a very good game IMO. And Ridley is playable :love:
I am with you on the conspiracy theories, but I vehemently disagree with your "calm down and accept it" mentality. That is the opposite of what we should do. The more vocal the Smash community is, the more likely it will be changed. Sakurai listens, and if we are loud enough, he will see just how many people want it. The last thing we should do is kill over and die. No Waluigi fans feel like waiting 10 years to play as him. This entire game is evidence that Sakurai is listening, and attempting to appease all the fans.

The outcry for Waluigi should be bombastic from now until development ceases. There is the possibility for this to be changed in development or DLC, so it is not over. It is now our responsibilty to make our voices heard loud and clear to Sakurai/Nintendo.

TheSoldier

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2020-0559-7730
I am with you on the conspiracy theories, but I vehemently disagree with your "calm down and accept it" mentality. That is the opposite of what we should do. The more vocal the Smash community is, the more likely it will be changed. Sakurai listens, and if we are loud enough, he will see just how many people want it. The last thing we should do is kill over and die. No Waluigi fans feel like waiting 10 years to play as him. This entire game is evidence that Sakurai is listening, and attempting to appease all the fans.

The outcry for Waluigi should be bombastic from now until development ceases. There is the possibility for this to be changed in development or DLC, so it is not over. It is now our responsibilty to make our voices heard loud and clear to Sakurai/Nintendo.
So, stand outside of Nintendo Headquarters blaring this out of speakers:

That seems like a way to be heard. :laugh:

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
I'm in for letting Nintendo know we want him in the next game, but what I meant was that we should relax a little. I saw a lot of really angry people online about Waluigi's status. I want Waluigi as much as you guys, trust me, but we should also appreciate what a beautiful game we got (and Ridley)… then we can organize our "great waluigi offensive" :evil:

So, stand outside of Nintendo Headquarters blaring this out of speakers:
That seems like a way to be heard. :laugh:
This is a good way to start :chuckle:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I had a feeling in my gut when the Assist Trophies were shown that Waluigi would be an AT again and it felt very deflating. It sucks that he's an Assist Trophy again. It's great that he is in many Mario spinoff games, but Nintendo needs to do something with Waluigi. He needs to be in his own game or a Wario World 2 type of game or even a role in a mainstream Mario game. At least Ridley got confirmed, just waiting for K. Rool and Dixie now.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Wasn't my first choice of Mario character(too invested in the Toads) but Waluigi was always in my top ten wants. Sad to see him not make it again but there's always next time.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I want Sakurai to give his reasons for not including Waluigi, because 1. we can debunk it, and 2. whenever Sakurai gives a reason for not including a character, they defy all odds and appear the next time (Villager, Ridley)

Watch Out!

Smash Rookie
Waluigi is one of my favorite Nintendo characters, and it sucks to see him deconfirmed.
Add me to the list of supporters, though.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
whenever Sakurai gives a reason for not including a character, they defy all odds and appear the next time (Villager, Ridley)
I think this points more to fan demand than anything. If Sakurai ever feels the need to justify himself it means he's hearing a lot about what's going on.

Which goes to something I've been posting in a few threads now:

If not already implemented then there would certainly be an awkward implementation to prevent certain characters from appearing from assist trophies while they're being played. Otherwise I do agree, with enough fan demand and hassle it's certainly possible that assist trophies can make the transition within their own games as the DLC comes.

It's not 'likely' by any means but recently it's been fairly obvious that Sakurai is listening to fan demand more than he is sticking to his personal 'rules'.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pretty sure Waluigi wasn't included because making Daisy a Echo Fighter was way easier. He might have a little popularity, but not enough to be noticed in ballot results.

I came here actually to ask where the thread is of deconfirmed characters, as I've read there is one and this thread popped up highest on the character forum of deconfirmed character that I know of.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Pretty sure Waluigi wasn't included because making Daisy a Echo Fighter was way easier. He might have a little popularity, but not enough to be noticed in ballot results.

I came here actually to ask where the thread is of deconfirmed characters, as I've read there is one and this thread popped up highest on the character forum of deconfirmed character that I know of.
https://smashboards.com/threads/the...aracter-thread-smash-ultimate-edition.455110/

Also you're underestimating his popularity, he is SERIOUSLY popular, one of the highest in all of; Reddit Polls and multiple Source Gaming polls including top 30 in their (low participation) Japanese poll.

And I'm not sure how Daisy is 'taking his place' if they're not representing the sports/spinoff titles. That was their only source of competition with eachother.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
This was my only disappointment
I’m heartbroken
Maybe in another ten years...

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
I had a feeling in my gut when the Assist Trophies were shown that Waluigi would be an AT again and it felt very deflating. It sucks that he's an Assist Trophy again. It's great that he is in many Mario spinoff games, but Nintendo needs to do something with Waluigi. He needs to be in his own game or a Wario World 2 type of game or even a role in a mainstream Mario game. At least Ridley got confirmed, just waiting for K. Rool and Dixie now.
I think a new WarioLand game with Waluigi as a second playable character would be perfect. I mean, it is also a perfect fit for the switch with its two joycons.

Is Waluigi the new Ridley?
It seems so.
It's actually funny how they have a lot in common: Both are purple, skinny, well known and wanted in the smash community, rejected for a long time and being "the face" of bosses/stage hazards and assist trophies respectively.

Super Fawful

Smash Cadet
NNID
dimentio64
That assist trophy reveal, along with him being the one to demonstrate getting KO'd hurt my soul. The worst way to deconfirm him too, right after showing Daisy as the clone she was never going to be anything more than. Meanwhile a potentially unique (and highly requested) Mario spinoff rep is again chained to an assist trophy. #JusticeForWaluigi

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
That assist trophy reveal, along with him being the one to demonstrate getting KO'd hurt my soul. The worst way to deconfirm him too, right after showing Daisy as the clone she was never going to be anything more than. Meanwhile a potentially unique (and highly requested) Mario spinoff rep is again chained to an assist trophy. #JusticeForWaluigi
heeeeey no need to put daisy fans down like that

If Waluigi could have a unique moveset, Daisy could too, and they're both pretty popular. They're in the same boat, it's just that one could be made a clone. :^(

Rooting for you guys to get what you want though, it sucks being confined to the same role three times.

Super Fawful

Smash Cadet
NNID
dimentio64
Yeah, sorry about that. Waluigi couldn't possibly be a clone though, due to his body shape and I'm legitimately scared there won't be any more Mario newcomers period. All my most wanted are from that series and Waluigi had the highest chances of them, and the highest support, so it just hurts to see him rejected so hard.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Waluigi was a top 5 want of mine for sure. Bummed he isn't playable but it is what it is.

There's always a sliver of hope a few of the more popular ATs get upgraded and become playable in the DLC. So don't lose all hope just yet.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I haven't posted on this thread but Ive been a silent fan of Waluigi for years. Obviously that backfired and hes an AT again. His fate has been sealed for base game, it is simply to far in development to change him into a player character. However, I noticed on twitter that the fan backlash from the Waluigi AT was especially negative this time. Like, why are websites like Washington post talking about video games?

If this keeps up, and Nintendo is continually notified about Waluigi, then maybe they will include him as a DLC fighter. Fan outcry is what got us most of our DLC characters, after all. I was very happy over Ridley, Snake, ICs, Young Link etc but Waluigi was the one negative thing about the amazing Smash Ultimate presentation, I get it when your favorite character gets denied multiple times...

But don't give up! Waluigi wouldn't, and neither should you if you want him in Smash! I'm starting to be more vocal, even if it is too little too late. DLC exists, so wah and tear until it is done, folks.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
Waluigi has been my favorite Nintendo character in general for as long as I can remember. I see a lot of people say that Waluigi support begins and ends with memes, but really that isn't true. The memes are definitely a huge part of why Waluigi is as popular as he is, but I think the main reason is just how fun of a character he is.

Waluigi is a blank slate, meaning that some things have him be a goofy Wily Coyote-esque cartoon villain and other things have him as a deeply lonely and introspective character; both being really fun ideas to work with and both being Waluigi.

I say before he gets in as a playable character, Nintendo is going to have to tap into his character a lot more through his own game. If he can get that, than he will finally have a true edge in the Smash scene. I say don't give up hope, but instead shift focus to making Nintendo know that a Waluigi game is what we want to see.

Last edited:

EdwardSponge

Smash Apprentice
Waluigi is totally in smash, his original appearance is of him crashing a tennis game for not being invited, looks like the devs this time decided not to invite Waluigi to the roster, but he's not gonna put up with that nonsense.

link Г

Smash Rookie
Signed up just to show support for my man, add me to the list. I've wanted him in Smash since the Melee days and he has been my most wanted character for the past 10 years since we got Wario and Diddy in Brawl. Always been one of my favourite characters. I can understand if Nintendo sees him as just a spin-off character who only exists to pad out the roster in those games, but it's still mind-boggling how underused he is and that he's still denied entry into Smash. At least put him in WarioWare were he should've been from the start. (Also Nintendo please make a Wario World 2 featuring Waluigi or a Wario and Waluigi RPG, I've been dreaming of this for years.)

And to use Waluigi to demonstrate that you can knock out assist trophies was complete BS and the worst thing about the direct (otherwise the game looks great, but that disgusting act of violence and neglect left me with a Г-shaped hole in my heart). Like the treatment of Waluigi wasn't harsh enough last time, sheesh. You've gone too far, Sakurai.

wah

D

Deleted member

I appreciate you signing on just to support, but I'm not planning on making any changes to the front page from this point forward.

I'm sorry.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
I am really upset. We are beginning to be loathed by the Smash community thanks to the thousands of fake supporters spamming annoying Waluigi memes everywhere. People are just beginning to assume that we only want him in as a meme, but that is so far from the truth. I genuinely love the character, and I hate how people are making us look disingenuous. Its really upsetting and we need to condone it.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I am really upset. We are beginning to be loathed by the Smash community thanks to the thousands of fake supporters spamming annoying Waluigi memes everywhere. People are just beginning to assume that we only want him in as a meme, but that is so far from the truth. I genuinely love the character, and I hate how people are making us look disingenuous. Its really upsetting and we need to condone it.
Thing is, a lot of people would want pretty much anyone, but are only aware of a few characters because Smash is really all they play. Waluigi as a meme might bother a lot of people, but it's getting him more exposure than not. Its annoying that people just assume that's all he is and refuse to beleive otherwise, but that's how they are. Just look at Ridley, they thought that was just a meme too

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Thing is, a lot of people would want pretty much anyone, but are only aware of a few characters because Smash is really all they play. Waluigi as a meme might bother a lot of people, but it's getting him more exposure than not. Its annoying that people just assume that's all he is and refuse to beleive otherwise, but that's how they are. Just look at Ridley, they thought that was just a meme too
I swear, saying Waluigi is just a meme and that he has no potential moveset is the new “Ridley is too big circle jerk. Although high exposure can be good, I don’t want it to come at the cost of being hated by the community.

Last edited:

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Yeowch! That's not helping his case at all, doing this. What are those people even thinking?! I was sad to see Waluigi get busted as well, and I have no preference for him myself. If you want him in, be respectful about it when lobbying and making a case for the thin man. Gather up a bunch of requests and reasons, get someone to translate that to Japanese and e-mail it to the man. That's likely going to get more of a positive response, especially if you ask him to explain his decision making.

TheSoldier

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2020-0559-7730
Yeowch! That's not helping his case at all, doing this. What are those people even thinking?! I was sad to see Waluigi get busted as well, and I have no preference for him myself. If you want him in, be respectful about it when lobbying and making a case for the thin man. Gather up a bunch of requests and reasons, get someone to translate that to Japanese and e-mail it to the man. That's likely going to get more of a positive response, especially if you ask him to explain his decision making.
Now on my todo for this week. Everyone, quote me and reply with requests and reasonds, and someone get me this great man's email address!

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Hey everyone. I just made a post on Reddit regarding the recent trolling and harassment that is making us be loathed by the community. Give it a read if you wish. I did this because just one glance at this thread shows that we are genuine fans of Waluigi, and that we truly don’t condone this behavior. Give it a read if you wish: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...ease_dont_let_trolls/?st=JILTYQ9Q&sh=9e931886

Last edited:

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
w..wow. people are really harassing Sakurai about this? that's pretty sad. and definitely doesn't represent true Waluigi fans.
I'm as sad as the next guy to see Waluigi get deconfirmed. and in such a disrespectful way. but that shouldn't mean people should do something that inappropriate. that's only going to hurt the cause.

Hey everyone. I just made a post on Reddit regarding the recent trolling and harassment that is making us be loathed by the community. Give it a read if you wish. I did this because just one glance at this thread shows that we are genuine fans of Waluigi, and that we truly do condone this behavior. Give it a read if you wish: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...ease_dont_let_trolls/?st=JILTYQ9Q&sh=9e931886
umm.. shouldn't that be that we truly DON'T condone this behavior T-Donor66?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom