• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Exciting Brawl

What's your opinion?

• Total voters

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
Hi there, I'm not going to deny the obvious: the Brawl scene is not at its best moment right now. I've looked at a lot of mods and alternate rule sets that have tried to bring it back. Now, I believe the health of a game relies on being fun to play, fun to watch, and easy to organize. I might be completely wrong, but I think that I've come up with an idea for a mod & rule set that will accomplish these things. Let me know what you all think, I'm completely open to any feedback.

• Mods:
    • Random tripping removed.
    • Attacking while in knockback adjusted slightly so that you can no longer be punished for hitting your opponent.
    • Ledge invincibility shortened significantly.
    • No ledge invincibility on re-grabs unless hit by opponent.
    • Chaingrabs can only be continued for up to three grabs (after that, there's a short cool down before the opponent can be grabbed again).
    • possible nerfs for meta knight.
    • possible buffs for extreme low tiers.
  • Rule set (standard except for specifically mentioned changes):
    • 1-stock, 5 minute matches (uncertain on this and welcome to change)
    • Best of three for the first 75% of the tournament, and best of five for last 25% (i.e.: in a 64-man tourney, top 16 will be best of five)
    • When a match goes to time and stocks are tied, the winner is decided by stage control (whoever is closer to the center of the main portion of the stage)
    • Meta Knight may possibly be banned, or partially banned (i.e.: can only be used a certain number of times per set or per tourney, or some other restriction, still not certain.)
  • Promises:
    • The goal of this project is to make Brawl fun to play, exciting to watch, and easy to organize while preserving as much of the game and making as few changes as possible.
    • This will take community requests into consideration, as the community is the most important part of the game.
    • All changes made will be voted upon and go through a testing period before being finalized.
    • Character-specific changes will be strongly avoided.
Note: I have absolutely no knowledge of coding. If this idea catches on, a coder will be required.

Last edited:

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
Banning mk and ics is a mistake. Make necessary balance changes.
thank you for your comment. I will definitely look into this as a possibility. I think the best course of action as of right now is to implement and test the universal changes and then evaluate balance from there. As it is, ICs may not need any adjustments thanks to the chaingrab changes, so I'll remove them from the quick-ban list.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
thank you for your comment. I will definitely look into this as a possibility. I think the best course of action as of right now is to implement and test the universal changes and then evaluate balance from there. As it is, ICs may not need any adjustments thanks to the chaingrab changes, so I'll remove them from the quick-ban list.
Perhaps buffing characters would be a more desirable solution instead of nerfing top tiers.

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
Perhaps buffing characters would be a more desirable solution instead of nerfing top tiers.
My problem with buffs is that more of them are required as opposed to nerfs, and I'd like to maintain the original game as much as possible. I don't want there to be much of an adjustment curve for former Brawl players to transition into this meta. Maybe in the future the extreme low tier characters will be buffed, but I'd like to take things one step at a time. At this point, nothing can really be implemented until a coder is found or I learn to code (which I might do if needed), but perhaps a list of desired changes can be made for when and if this gets coded.

Last edited:

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
My problem with buffs is that more of them are required as opposed to nerfs, and I'd like to maintain the original game as much as possible. I don't want there to be much of an adjustment curve for former Brawl players to transition into this meta. Maybe in the future the extreme low tier characters will be buffed, but I'd like to take things one step at a time. At this point, nothing can really be implemented until a coder is found or I learn to code (which I might do if needed), but perhaps a list of desired changes can be made for when and if this gets coded.
Alright, just make falcon's knee a little easier to hit ;)

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
I think a project M approach of buffing characters is a lot better than the SSB4 mess.

Top Bottom