• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evolution of the tier list

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys i was recently browsing SRK forums and came across an ancient tier list. This thing might as well have been written on the side of a cave.

posted October 2004

"Q:
Are there any established tiers?
(I've heard pikachu is really high, is it true?)

A:
Hope this isn't too basic.

Top Tier:

Zelda/Shiek
Ganondorf
Falco
Marth

Mid Tier:

Captain Falcon
Mario
Dr. Mario
Fox
Link
Samus
Young Link
Peach
Bowser
Mewtwo

And then there is everybody else. "

http://shoryuken.com/f4/official-ssbm-thread-74628/
several tier list revisions follow

Could you guys share some insight about the how we got to where we are today? Is there a single thread that encompasses all of the old (official) tier lists? Or just give me your thoughts.

Also LOL at Fox being 8 on that list and Puff being under "everybody else" (I'm sure this one was never official)

discuss (sincere subject)

Zodiac

Smash Master
Anyone notice how sheik stayed on top until the rise of tech skill? Lol.

Smash Master
It's like there was such a steady stream of new difficult tricks that people wanted to learn that we ignored rest for 8 years.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
SRK forums said:
Some of the advanced moves include Small Jumping, Wave dancing, Wave Dashing, Reflecting, R cancelling, Wall Clinging, Air Item Grabbing, turtle grapling ect. as well as some character specific tricks such as Fox's infinite and the Bowser Train
anyone want to tell me what turtle grappling or the Bowser Train ( sounds ****ing bomb) is?

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
@Ripple
http://uk.faqs.ign.com/articles/437/437427p1.html

"Another pair of dirty tricks are the Bowser Train and Reverse Bowser Train. The
Bowser Train is simply performing a forward smash while wavedashing towards the
enemy. This allows Bowser immense reach with the move, and is excellent for
advancing on the enemy. Since any directional movement will generally halt the
wavedash, the smash should be performed by pushing the C Stick forwards. Note that
since this requires great personal dexterity, the Bowser Train is not for the
beginning Bowser player! This should probably be one of the last techniques
mastered. An impressively useful variant is the Reverse Bowser Train. This is
performed by smashing forward while wavedashing backwards. Like the Bowser Train,
this can be exceptionally difficult to pull off successfully, so should be mastered
after most other things."

Wavedash>Fsmash.

Ixninjax

Smash Journeyman
For a second I thought the bowser train was just a reference to what bowser looks like when running.

Doc King

Smash Lord
Anyone notice how sheik stayed on top until the rise of tech skill? Lol.
Lol i know right? Until ppl have been mastering Fox and Falcos tech skill techniques and Puffs rest combos, Sheik was top tier due to her chain throws, combos, and stuff. :awesome:

But now, Sheik is 4th place cause of the stuff listed on top.

Top Bottom