• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evolution 2019 Lineup Announced, Smash Ultimate Makes Main Stage

ultevo.jpg

Thumbnail credit: Koke
The Evolution Championship Series, or EVO, announced its main lineup for its 2019 tournament in Las Vegas occuring this August. Smash players will not be surprised to hear that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has made it onto the list, and that it will be featured on the main stage Sunday. Yet, to the surprise of some, Super Smash Bros. Melee has not made it on either list. This is the first time since 2013 that Melee hasn’t been a part of the main lineup. At this time no side events have been announced, so there’s a chance that Melee will exist in some form at EVO.

The main lineup for Evolution 2019 is:
  • Tekken 7
  • Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition
  • BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  • Dragon Ball FighterZ
  • SoulCalibur VI
  • Mortal Kombat 11
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st]
The four games for EVO Sunday are:
  • Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition
  • Tekken 7
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  • BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle
Registration is now open on the EVO website.

Last edited:
Austin "Verity" Karn

Comments

And before anyone pulls out the "Melee gets 150k views all the time!!" defense:
Friendly reminder that the most viewed EVO game EVER at 250k+ views was moved to Saturday this year.

Samurai Warriors being there is really, really weird.

I mean, it's supposed to be released this summer, so like, is EVO gonna be at around the time where literally no one knows anything about the meta?

I mean, it's supposed to be released this summer, so like, is EVO gonna be at around the time where literally no one knows anything about the meta?
BBTag was released in the summer last year and it got a spot at Evo. People learn quick.

Rest In Peace melee...

I was glad I could go to the last EVO where it was hosted.

Although tbh they’ll host a year without it and realize it’s a 3rd of their revenue then add it back into the roster.

Last edited:
Melee isn't dead by any means. As long as there's still players there's still melee. One major (the one commonly considered the worst due to bo3 finals) being gone doesn't take away from the plethora of others. We still have GOML, Shine, Pound, Smashcon, all sorts of others!

Long live melee!!

Rest In Peace melee...

I was glad I could go to the last EVO where it was hosted.

Although tbh they’ll host a year without it and realize it’s a 3rd of their revenue then add it back into the roster.
I disagree. I think it may have more to do with that shiny "Nintendo" logo on the sponsor sheet than we think.

RIP anyone's chances at a Melee 3VO. Maybe EVO 2025 will have another donation drive and everyone can empty their pockets into that.

OMG, Melee? So. And Blazpoo Crossbad shouldnt even be up there, lol. That game is an half-assed recycled product that was rushed out the door only for evo, with a poo roster and, simplified gameplay(and the graphics are ugly as hell). Blazblue characters getting simplified like that is so wack. That spot shouldve been DOA6 instead.

Last edited:
I think this is a sign that the Melee tournament scene as we know it is going to start winding down over the next year, especially as Ultimate continues to pick up steam. Especially as other fighting games continue to come onto the scene and draw viewership numbers that Melee used to pull, and as equipment to host Melee tournaments becomes scarce too.

I mean, when the biggest names in Melee are leaving the game, that should also be telling.

I'll be honest, I just haven't seen much fresh blood in Melee in awhile. With the Era of the Five God's basically over, there is room for new blood, but it's almost too little too late IMO.

I think this is a sign that the Melee tournament scene as we know it is going to start winding down over the next year, especially as Ultimate continues to pick up steam. Especially as other fighting games continue to come onto the scene and draw viewership numbers that Melee used to pull, and as equipment to host Melee tournaments becomes scarce too.

I mean, when the biggest names in Melee are leaving the game, that should also be telling.

I'll be honest, I just haven't seen much fresh blood in Melee in awhile. With the Era of the Five God's basically over, there is room for new blood, but it's almost too little too late IMO.
I started playing Melee about a year ago. I suppose that makes me fresh blood.
Good riddance, Melee.
You are part of the problem that is the divide in the smash community. Have an open mind for crying out loud.

You are part of the problem that is the divide in the smash community. Have an open mind for crying out loud.
It’s about time Melee stops robbing a spot from other contemporary fighting games. Having two games from the same series in the main event shows just how wack the community really is. Besides, there’s still gonna be plenty of Melee support throughout this year with dozens of other Smash tournaments taking place. Melee players just need to get over this and move on. As long as people keep playing, the game won’t die.

Really Melee is a testament to what a fighting game should be. Why should we trear games any different to any other sport? Melee and Ultimate are like football and rugby: related, but separate sports.

The only reason we replace games is because of technology breaking/becoming scarce, but really, there is no reason beyond that.

Really Melee is a testament to what a fighting game should be. Why should we trear games any different to any other sport? Melee and Ultimate are like football and rugby: related, but separate sports.

The only reason we replace games is because of technology breaking/becoming scarce, but really, there is no reason beyond that.
Did you really just insinuate video gaming as a sport? Please stop.

Did you really just insinuate video gaming as a sport? Please stop.
Bait? Pro gaming is a test of many different skills, including perception, situational awareness, reaction time, and even dexterity. Obviously this varies depending on the genre but fighting games without a doubt call for a number of abilities and intense practice. I'd say that qualifies as a sport.

A competitive event that compares players skill in said event for some reward (whether it be bragging rights, a trophy, a cash prize or anything in between) sounds like a sport to me.
Sounds like a game to me, a video game that is. And just because it has competition doesnt make it a sport. jobs have that too and, labor jobs arent considered sports though.

All depends on how one defines "sport", which you have failed to do
The definition of a sport has always meant the same thing. Ur making it opinionated.

Bait? Pro gaming is a test of many different skills, including perception, situational awareness, reaction time, and even dexterity. Obviously this varies depending on the genre but fighting games without a doubt call for a number of abilities and intense practice. I'd say that qualifies as a sport.
No its not "bait" . so logically are you people athletes then?

It’s about time Melee stops robbing a spot from other contemporary fighting games. Having two games from the same series in the main event shows just how wack the community really is. Besides, there’s still gonna be plenty of Melee support throughout this year with dozens of other Smash tournaments taking place. Melee players just need to get over this and move on. As long as people keep playing, the game won’t die.
That's barely going to change views from the FGC. They're still going to view Ultimate as a kiddie game and their endgame of ridding Smash altogether from EVO is just another step away.

Sounds like a game to me, a video game that is. And just because it has competition doesnt make it a sport. jobs have that too and, labor jobs arent considered sports though.

The definition of a sport has always meant the same thing. Ur making it opinionated.

You know, e-sports is a word.

It exists.

it's recognized.

It gets boatloads of money.

Its said that melee is being pushed out. It's either going to die or make a comeback, I'm fine either way.

Last edited:
That's barely going to change views from the FGC. They're still going to view Ultimate as a kiddie game and their endgame of ridding Smash altogether from EVO is just another step away.
Who cares what the 'greater' FGC thinks, the Smash community is self-sustaining with or without the support of all the other communities. And I doubt getting rid of smash is some kind of endgame for EVO. That's too much money off the table for EVO(And promotion takes a hit for Nintendo). I wouldn't be surprised if it was Nintendo themselves that wanted this. Having that old game up there does nothing for their bottom line. It's probably embarrassing to them that such a large number of the community hangs on to the magic of that game over the newer one's.

For you guys having the debate about whether or not Smash is a sport...it is now, according to the U.S. government. ESports competitors are eligible for the same work visas as athletes now. Have you all forgotten that whole incident in which Leffen was unable to enter the U.S. because they said he didn't qualify for an athlete's visa? Well, when that decision was overturned, the new legal precedent was set that Smash is indeed a sport.

So yeah, it's a sport. So is bowling.

To a certain extent, I guess? Do you consider someone that plays golf on weekends an athlete?

I generally associate the term athlete more with things that involve a certain level of overall physical fitness and health, with or without sports, tbh.

Last edited:
Its a very good day when Melee is finally starting to get dropped from the major tournies, gotta look ahead to the future after all and Ultimate is just that.

Did the same thing with BBtag last year and it got over 2000 entrants, so why not try it again?

Smash doesn’t need Evo to be successful, though.
In a way it wouldn’t be where it is without Evo, and while to an extent that’s true, Evo is the best way to get people to try out your game and keep said game alive, without Evo you now kinda have to hope new players find the tournaments

Last edited:
Surprisingly enough, the FGC is into Smash way more than the Smash community is into any FGC stuff. You just have to look beyond the dregs low level people on twitter. Top FGC players respect the game a lot. What people generally don't like is the whininess and neediness of the community. Regardless EVO does whatever they want and no one can really fight it except for the game publishers.

Definition of "sport" as a noun according to Merriam-Webster: "a source of diversion; recreation"
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sport
Definition of "recreation" according to Merriam-Webster: "refreshment of strength and spirits after work"
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/recreation

By this definition, Smash is indeed a sport.
Since you did not define what a sport is, I did. And by my definition, Smash is a sport. Hold that L

Last edited:
Definition of "sport" as a noun according to Merriam-Webster: "a source of diversion; recreation"
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sport
Definition of "recreation" according to Merriam-Webster: "refreshment of strength and spirits after work"
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/recreation

By this definition, Smash or any gaming is indeed a sport.
Since you did not define what a sport is, I did. And by my definition, Smash is a sport. Hold that L
Damn....

Top Bottom