• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO WEST: The West Coast Championships (1 Week after 0C3!!! REGISTRATION FREE!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Game II

Smash Champion
In case you didn't see the live updates, here are your eight finalists

EdreesesPieces
Mew2King
Roy
Mr. Ganondorf
Chu Dat
P.C. Chris
Hugs
Mango

Before anyone says anything ... Roy is a player from Reno. He has no handle, that's his real first name. He was in the same division as Mr. Ganondorf, a division that can be compared to the 2005 National League West.

--GCII

iCE MagE

Smash Rookie
I left when everyone was using the Tourney GC's to do friendly games, lol good luck everyone.

Rickety

Peace and Love
People that did not make it because they were in the same pools as M2K, Chu, PC, HugS, Mango, Edrees.

Mr. PBody
DC
Azn_Lep
Rickety
Bone
Saint Patrick
milktea
Cactuar
Vidjogamer

:-P

Still, this tournament was a lot of fun!

It was fun seeing my old buddies from SCEA again!
CVS2 is amazing...

amazingly broken! R2-Sagat is a beast.

<3
rick

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Evo west had the stupidest brackets ever. You fail Mr. Whoever.made.the.brackets. Lack of any seeding at all FTL.

3 top 5 placers at Evo East (PC - 2nd Place, Cactuar - 3rd Place, Chu - 5th Place) were all in the same bracket, along with the best Peach player in the country (Vidjogamer). We traveled all the way across the country to attend this, and end up eliminating each other. I brought this up with one of the Evo staff and got ignored with "oh, it's random seeding". Even if it is random, you should be a little more accomodating as far as players from the same region being in the same bull**** brackets.

There are now two "scrub" level players in the top 8 of Evo West, qualified for Evo World. It is disrespectful to our top players for you to not consult anyone as far as seeding goes. It would be like Sanford vs Justin Wong first round at an MvC 2 tournament.

Evo West is failure.

(The actual tournament was run pretty well. The setup just sucked ***.)

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Cactuar speaks the truth. While the bracket I had wasn't as ridiculously stacked as the "PC, Chu, Vidjo, Cactuar" bracket, it had its own share of lameness. With the exception of M2K our bracket was loaded with ranked SoCal players, and a mess load of San Diego friends. It went something like this: Edrees, Rickety, St. Patrick, Azn_Lep, P. Body, and D.C. Of course this wouldn't be that big of a deal if this was one of our tri weeklies or something, but to stack one bracket at an event as large as Evo with this much talent and then have another bracket with Mr. Ganondorf and scrub Sheik is just silly. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the Evo community for making Smash a part of its line up, but I feel that some sort of seeding is essential. Espcially for the out of state smasher that travel here just to eliminate one another.

manacloud1

Smash Champion
rickety

People that did not make it because they were in the same pools as M2K, Chu, PC, HugS, Mango, Edrees.

Mr. PBody
DC
Azn_Lep
Rickety
Bone
Saint Patrick
milktea
Cactuar
Vidjogamer

:-P

Still, this tournament was a lot of fun!

It was fun seeing my old buddies from SCEA again!
CVS2 is amazing...

amazingly broken! R2-Sagat is a beast.

<3
rick
i need to get in touch with you call ken or me on our cells.

congrats to the top 8 finishers.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
lawl it had enough pro's to be amazing but seeding ****ed it up? that's a shame... evo east (perfection?) > evo west (**** seeding) > evo north (no representation) > evo south (single elim lawlzorz)

Amon Amarth

Smash Journeyman
Whoa, Evo was fun yesterday, wish I could have made it today, but a bit of a drive for me.

At least I got to play M2K one round, it was like a roller coaster ride, lol.

But I am so happy I went, i have improved sooo much. Thanks to everyone i played for helping me improve! Hope to see you all at super champ combo.

runaway_mario

Smash Apprentice
its all in his blog. so i believe it was
1-m2k
2-pc chris
3-chu
4-edrees-im pretty sure he was 4th

Kryian

Smash Journeyman
For a couple of years, maybe during the entire existence of the Evo series, they have done random seeding which fairly often results in a "black bracket of death." They do this because they have to seed 50 or more (up to 300) people for 5 or so tournaments, which can very, very easily turn in to people screaming bias when looking at other people's pools. When you do non-random seeding (regional, skill, whatever) it's easy for one person to get a whole lot of hate they may not deserve. When you do it random, players hate the system, they hate the way the seeds worked out, but the organizers themselves don't have to deal with any specifically targeted hate.

The Game II

Smash Champion
Not counting the brackets, my biggest concern was ... and maybe it was different at the other circuit events ... the biggest cheer aside from when M2K defeated PC Chris was when Chu picked Pikachu. The crowd was silent for most of the time.

So I hope that the Melee players come out in full force next month for the finals.

Again, it was probably different at the other circuit events. But compared to the other games of the day, you could hear a pin drop when the Melee players were competing. Right when they started CVS2, the place went beserk, and they've kept up that spirit to now (MVC2 finals).

I just hope that the lack of enthusiasm doesn't mean Melee is a one-and-done deal.

--GCII

~Endless

Smash Rookie
Congrats M2K, had to recover from the OC3 loss I guess lol, nice,

Yay PC!

Lol @ random seeding, I always wondered what would happen if it went lke that in a big torny, clearly it is a bad thing XD

Rickety

Peace and Love
Lolz, rickety ur a funny person.. u have a crazy modified controller :p
Yeah I do! :-P
FYI, I don't use it in tournament matches though, it's too weird!
I DO use it in Mario Kart! Snaking is too cheapgood with it!

Not counting the brackets, my biggest concern was ... and maybe it was different at the other circuit events ... the biggest cheer aside from when M2K defeated PC Chris was when Chu picked Pikachu. The crowd was silent for most of the time.

So I hope that the Melee players come out in full force next month for the finals.

Again, it was probably different at the other circuit events. But compared to the other games of the day, you could hear a pin drop when the Melee players were competing. Right when they started CVS2, the place went beserk, and they've kept up that spirit to now (MVC2 finals).

I just hope that the lack of enthusiasm doesn't mean Melee is a one-and-done deal.

--GCII
Yes, there was no love for the melee finals, but next time, we'll be sure to bring AZ + Beast Coast. :)

rickety
i need to get in touch with you call ken or me on our cells.
congrats to the top 8 finishers.
I will be coming to your house soon, we just need to arrange a day.

Tell Ken to stop wrecking me in Pokemon so badly! :-P

<3
rickety

P.S. I love team Kirra! <3

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I'll tell you how the final 8 were in terms of brackets. There's no possible way I can remember the pools brackets though, but the "****" bracket included PC Chris, Vidjogamer, Cactaur, and Chu Dat

All this information is already posted on Game's blog but here it is condensed:

Round 1:

Winners:

Hugo Vs Mew2King (Winner)
PC Chris (Winner) Vs. Mr Ganondorf

Losers:

Edrees (Winner) vs Roy
Mango vs Chu Dat (Winner by default)

Round 2:

Winners:

Mew2King (winner) vs Pc Chris

Losers:

Hugo vs Chu Dat (winner)
Edrees (winner) vs Mr Ganondorf

Round 3:

Losers:
Edrees vs Chu Dat (winner)
Chu dat vs Pc Chris (winner)

Final:

Mew2king (winner) vs Pc Chris

I had a fun time but I also got very lucky on my bracketing. I shouldn't have had to get lucky to get there but thats just how ir worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom