• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO Online Revealed

EVO_murders_Smash.jpg

Following the cancellation of EVO 2020 due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, EVO has just announced that there will be a new online version of the event dubbed EVO Online. This new event will continue the EVO tradition of providing viewers amazing fighting game tournaments while also keeping everyone socially distant from each other.

The main lineup for EVO Online consists of the following games:
  • Street Fighter V: Champion Edition
  • Tekken 7
  • Dragon Ball FighterZ
  • Soul Calibur VI
  • Granblue Fantasy: Versus
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[cl-r]
Although the main roster is almost the same as that of EVO 2020, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate was noticeably cut. No official reason has been given for Ultimate’s omission, though it has been speculated that it was a result of its netcode which has caused many issues for players in the past.

Marvel vs Capcom 2 - a fan favorite game at EVO that had returned after a decade hiatus - was also cut from the main lineup. A special online version of the invitational tournament for Marvel vs Capcom 2 dubbed “20urnament of Champions” (in honor of the game’s 20th anniversary) seems to still be taking place.

In addition to the main lineup, there will also be four games that are a part of an open online tournament:
  • Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath
  • Killer Instinct
  • Them’s Fightin’ Herds
  • Skullgirls: 2nd Encore
EVO Online will take place during five weekends of Saturday/Sunday matches, starting on Saturday July 4th and ending on Sunday August 2nd.

Author’s Note: How do you feel about Ultimate getting cut? What other games are you excited for at EVO? Let us know in the comments below!

Sari

Comments

Should have been Arizona giving Ultimate that kick.

And yeah, Ultimate has a god awful netcode. I'm not surprised at all that it would be excluded.

even though Nintendo switch doesn't always has a great connection, most games work really well or good enough,
Smash is literally the only game that no matter how good your connection is you can still get issues..it's just rediculous.

It's implied that the only 4 games that are open, will be the 4 added games. Everythings was cut, not just ultimate. And the original roster is exhibition matches only.

I'm not happy with Ultimate getting cut. We have no official reason from EVO, and people shouldn't just blame it on the online. Street Fighter 5's online is utter garbage, worse than Ultimate's, and yet it's still in the official lineup. Jayden2602 explained it better, but I just feel that there's bias.

Fantastic decision on behalf of EVO staff
It would be incredibly unprofessional to have their event associated with with Ultimates netcode, which would bring down the integrity of the event.

The MvC2 tournament was dubbed "20URNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS" when it was first announced months ago. It wasn't going to be an open bracket like the other games, but rather an 8 man bracket with 4 invited and 4 players qualifying at other tournaments.

Last edited:
I'm not happy with Ultimate getting cut. We have no official reason from EVO, and people shouldn't just blame it on the online. Street Fighter 5's online is utter garbage, worse than Ultimate's, and yet it's still in the official lineup. Jayden2602 explained it better, but I just feel that there's bias.
SFV’s netcode is far from acceptable, but it is not worse than Ultimate’s.

Now Dragon Ball FighterZ, on the other hand, is a different story. While I think that Ultimate getting the axe is for the best, I don’t see how FighterZ can be allowed to stay when that game’s netcode is impressively bad.

SFV’s netcode is far from acceptable, but it is not worse than Ultimate’s.

Now Dragon Ball FighterZ, on the other hand, is a different story. While I think that Ultimate getting the axe is for the best, I don’t see how FighterZ can be allowed to stay when that game’s netcode is impressively bad.
I'm thinking it's bias, but we don't have an official reason from EVO yet. We're just here in the dark guessing.

I'm thinking it's bias, but we don't have an official reason from EVO yet. We're just here in the dark guessing.
They wouldn’t boot a game like Smash from the event simply because someone somewhere has some agenda against it. It’s clearly due to something involving the state of its netcode. At the very least that’s a big part of it.

Last edited:
well ultimate being cut is a shame
but it doesn't matter to me that much, really
at least mahvel 2 seems to still be there in some form, and that was like the only reason i was excited for the tournament itself besides the announcements this time around

I imagine Smash got cut because Nintendo doesn't want people to see how broken and unplayable online is; would be a terrible marketing strategy for their online and smash as well. They might've been the ones to cut it rather than EVO.

Last edited:
Perhaps Nintendo will take note. Or perhaps they know we’re going to stay loyal regardless and not waste their time.

My fighter pass 2 money is already in their bag, what’s Evo to them anyway.

Reminder that people not only payed for Nintendo's garbage internet "service" but happily defend it too. This could have been prevented if Nintendo fanboys weren't so fanatically loyal.

even though Nintendo switch doesn't always has a great connection, most games work really well or good enough,
Smash is literally the only game that no matter how good your connection is you can still get issues..it's just rediculous.
SMM2 would like to have a word with you

Top Bottom