• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO Online Has Been Cancelled Following Sexual Abuse Allegations

evo online cancelled.jpg

EVO Online - the planned replacement for the previously cancelled EVO 2020 - has just been cancelled. EVO has published their official statement on the matter below:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

The cancellation comes after multiple allegations were made towards the EVO CEO, Joey “Mr. Wizard” Cuellar, which accused him of sexual abuse in the early 2000’s. Mr. Wizard was originally placed on administrative leave when the allegations first came out, but has since been cut from EVO as a whole. Prior to EVO Online’s cancellation, multiple companies such as Capcom and Bandai Namco had announced that they would not be participating in the event as a result of the serious allegations.

The allegations towards Mr. Wizard are just one of many relating to many big names in the FGC that have come out over the past few days. Other people accused of sexual misconduct include professional Smash Bros. player Nairoby “Nairo” Quezada and Smash commentator Cinnamon “Cinnpie” Dunson.

Editor’s Note: SmashBoards will be publishing an official statement on the many allegations of abuse and assault, both sexual and otherwise, that have come to light over the past few days. Please stay tuned.

Last edited:
Sari

Comments

Wait ZeRo too?
The stuff about him came out slightly later than the others as far as I know. There's more people whose actions have come to light over the past few days than just the 3 mentioned in the OP actually.

I just hope I can eventually play in a tournament by the time all this **** is over, I hope this will wipe out the scum left in the scene.
I hope the FGC at large can come back from this.

Everyone is guilty of something. Just think back to your lives: can you count how many bad stuff you did that you regret? If you're really perfect, you'd be like a character that movie critics call a "Mary Sue" which is a character they don't like in storytelling.

Zero did lie at first and denied the allegations against him before coming clean about it in his third Twitlog. So I'm going to guess Zero is done and this is only his side of the story no telling what his victim has to say later on today. This kind of thing is just another blow to the EVO and Smash competitive scene.

What Zero did was wrong. No question.

However, seeing how people are behaving in response to what he did is disgusting.

This isn't a soap opera. He's already lost everything in his life at this point due to what he did. Is there a need to go in any further? The general public is not owed anything.

I have never seen such an extreme episode of schadenfreude at play, and it's really disappointing.

If he kills himself over something like this... I already had my misgivings about the Smash fanbase, but it's reaching a point where I just want to leave forever and never look back.

Last edited:
What Zero did was wrong. No question.

However, seeing how people are behaving in response to what he did is disgusting.

This isn't a soap opera. He's already lost everything in his life at this point due to what he did. Is there a need to go in any further? The general public is not owed anything.

I have never seen such an extreme episode of schadenfreude at play, and it's really disappointing.

If he kills himself over something like this... I already had my misgivings about the Smash fanbase, but it's reaching a point where I just want to leave forever and never look back.
People are upset because it took him three post to come clean. He was actively manipulating opinion and when the victim called him out on it he finally admitted to it.

People are upset because it took him three post to come clean. He was actively manipulating opinion and when the victim called him out on it he finally admitted to it.
I'm not even talking about that.

How people are reacting and behaving it's just... So disturbing and they're not even aware of it.

Zero has been completely tarnished as punishment, and now with Jisu releasing more stuff, things are just becoming...

It's like people are secretly enjoying seeing this train wreck. They're treating it like entertainment.

He's severely punished as is, yet it's not enough for some, and it's past the point where it's beyond reasonable now.

People are taking their vindictiveness on both sides too far to be honest. Yes there are people who are just in this whole thing to see how deep it goes for their own amusement. Zero should have been more honest about it in those logs. People felt he manipulated them by not owning up to it. If he did it in one post would he still be tarnished yes but people would be much more sympathetic to him.

He's severely punished as is, yet it's not enough for some, and it's past the point where it's beyond reasonable now.
His only punishment is losing some friends and some followers alongside banning himself from playing in tournaments even through he was retired, a slap on the wrist compared to how sexually abusing kids usually gets punished, being jail

His only punishment is losing some friends and some followers alongside banning himself from playing in tournaments even through he was retired, a slap on the wrist compared to how sexually abusing kids usually gets punished, being jail
I don't think it's as simple as you're putting it.

This while ordeal is awful, and the fandom reaction is no less terrifying from what I'm seeing too.

It's like all the worst traits for people are on full display here, on all sides.

I don't think it's as simple as you're putting it.

This while ordeal is awful, and the fandom reaction is no less terrifying from what I'm seeing too.

It's like all the worst traits for people are on full display here, on all sides.
Idk man most people I've seen have said they want ZeRo in jail, which is the usual punishment for his crime. You're the one saying he already suffered enough despite not receiving this

I'm not even talking about that.

How people are reacting and behaving it's just... So disturbing and they're not even aware of it.

Zero has been completely tarnished as punishment, and now with Jisu releasing more stuff, things are just becoming...

It's like people are secretly enjoying seeing this train wreck. They're treating it like entertainment.

Are you honestly saying this in good faith?
Also how old are you? Do you know how serious Zero's crimes are?
Do you know that Zero has also lied about the seriousness of his crimes, multiple times (assuming you read Jisu's latest document)?
Do you also realize that you are still being manipulated/gaslit by him?
Do you also, ALSO realize that he has yet to take down his videos in order to profit off of them but has disabled comments so he can do damage control????

If you are in good faith, please stop being so naive and defending manipulative, lying pedos. If you are not in good faith, please **** off.

Do you know that Zero has also lied about the seriousness of his crimes, multiple times (assuming you read Jisu's latest document)?
Do you also, ALSO realize that he has yet to take down his videos in order to profit off of them but has disabled comments so he can do damage control????

If you are in good faith, please stop being so naive and defending manipulative, lying pedos. If you are not in good faith, please **** off.
It's possible to report an Youtube account for these reasons?

Last edited:
Idk man most people I've seen have said they want ZeRo in jail, which is the usual punishment for his crime. You're the one saying he already suffered enough despite not receiving this
Those are not the type of comments I'm referring to.

First of all, how dare you for trying to say I'm defending him when I already said what he was doing was wrong.

I clearly stated this.

Your first response to me is to tell me to **** off? Seriously?

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

How about trying to clarify what I'm trying to say first before talking this like.

How to treat someone who's committed an offense isn't black and white. It entirely depends on a lot of things. First of all protecting the victims and any further ones is important. Sometimes jail can help with that but that kind of place can really be bad on some people. Is that called for here? I don't think so, personally. Second, learning their lesson and being able to become better persons.. I think they're learning some of it pretty hard with everything going down and how they're affected as big names, though it's hard to know exactly how genuine they are about their remorse, because ZeRo actually lied and covered up the worst parts in his first statements, and only admitted when he was put in a corner. So who's to say really. But I think boycotting anything that would give him a platform to gain back popularity is ok to 'cancel'. But I really dont believe in going too far, because they do need to be able to redeem themselves at some point, and for that it takes a certain amount of trust in them as humans. If they show they can't be trusted at all, still doing bad things at some point, then **** them, i guess.

There's also the side of mental health. This has got to be taking an immense toll on some of them including zero who's already had loads of issues, and even if the victims are more important, you dont want to drive him or someone into bad states, for themselves as well as others. I hope they have people watching them to make sure they dont hurt themselves, and all that. And in any case they need to be watched more.

Anyway, just a few thoughts.

Last edited:
I knew fighting games were slowly dying, but man if this isn't still a huge hit against the genre. Will it be the final nail in the coffin ?
No, but it's not great. Obviously a lot of steps need to be taken to prevent these sorts of situations, but that is a problem with society at large as well.

I think EVO will recover from this, but it will require them to clean house. If not EVO, some other major FGC event will replace it in Vegas or another similar place with good event-hosting capabilities.

Really, the FGC will never die, but yes it may become more niche. Ultimately as long as the fans and players are there, it will remain.

And I don't want to lose my job over what I've said or done in the past, and then not be able to get a new job because of my reputation. There is a reason for laws against double jeopardy. And a lot of super hero stories about second chances and redemption. Sure, maybe a lot of these people got away with it when they did it. But there really should be rules against firing people over stuff years in the past. They should only be fired or banned if they did it again, not when someone digs up old posts or when an old victim comes and tells too late.
Double Jeopardy laws prevent you from being tried for the same crime twice. It's the reason, say, the OJ Case can never be re-opened despite it being pretty clear he did it (he did, in fact, lose in civil court in a wrongful death suit). The whole point here is that this IS the first time a lot of these offenders have seen any repercussions for their actions. Put another way, this is their first "trial" in the court of public opinion. Exposing these things is an important step to bettering the community and making clear that the majority of us do not tolerate such actions.

Those are not the type of comments I'm referring to.
I have literally not seen any comments at all wanting more than ZeRo being locked up for his crimes so I have no goddamn clue what you're talking about, not to mention you DID say he's already been severly punished when he's gotten a slap on the wrist

You can't look up anyone, even your parents can be guilty of something bad.

That way you avoid dissapointment.
Assuming that you mean "You can't look up TO anyone"

That's dark. People make mistakes. You can look up to someone because of their better attributes.

Not about to look up my family members either

Last edited:
This is what happens when you use Smash for a tool first (to advance your social status or whatever) and a game second. Young people buy into the "golden ticket", ***** themselves for it, and when they lose sight of why they started playing Smash, they decide to nail guys like Nairo to the cross for their own foolishness. If 20-year ****s should get a clue then so should 15-year ****s. Set the same standard for all, leave no room for excuses or else they will linger well past the 18th earth cycle as has been demonstrated. Just my two cents. Game on.

It's perfectly ok to be uncomfortable with how this has been playing out and dogpiling on Kokiden Kokiden is just proving their point. All of this really should have been handled by proper legal authorities and not been aired publicly until actual guilt has been determined by actual professionals.

And not just determining guilt but also determining punishment. For instance, regardless of how you feel about ZeRo and his actions, he does have dependents like his fiancee and his family in Chile that would then be hurt by his loss of livelihood. That and other things that are still murky about the severity of his alleged crimes are something the Twitter mob with their very black and white mentality has never taken into consideration, but that a judge would when sentencing. Case in point was when the alleged victims tried to get his fiancee involved and made insinuations about the legitimacy of their relationship and people even demanded she provide her birth certificate as proof.

The courts aren't perfect by any stretch of the imagination and I could do a whole write-up on how flawed they are. But that doesn't mean that mob justice is any better or even equal either. Twitter court takes everything they see at face value and is inherently biased towards one side from the start. The fact that an alleged victims' statement could be a lie, that even legitimate victims could be deceptive or manipulative about the severity or their agency in the encounter and especially that confessions can be coerced by substantial pressure (hi Twitter) is completely lost on them.

A proper legal investigation includes the authority to issue warrants for these chat logs from tech companies, criminal psychology and witness experts to interview all those involved and determine who is lying or telling the truth or simply not remembering or misunderstanding and painting an overall picture of the situation, and a penal system that naturally discourages and punishes frivolous and false accusations.

Twitter court has to rely on heavily filtered and biased snippets of information that is judged by tens of thousands of biased anonymous individuals that don't know their ass from their elbow. Not to mention that regardless of the veracity of the claims, the accused is undoubtedly going to have to go above and beyond to prove these allegations false (hi M2K) and false accusers can often just slink back into the ether of the net with no deterrent to future false accusations while almost always successfully damaging the brand of the accused.

And that's the inherent problem with democratizing these types of things. The people that are forced to play judge, jury, and executioner are not equipped to do so. And not just in terms of expertise but there is also the fact natural fallacies and logical quirks can make what is an objective determination to the viewer actually a subjective one. That's before getting into the fact that the aforementioned black and white thinking lets people get lazy and think that any moral wrongdoer deserves everything coming their way without considering the consequences and who else might get caught in the crossfire. For example, the anonymous person who outed Keitaro did so without the consent of the actual victim, who wasn't particularly happy about it.

Make no mistake, there has not been any actual justice here. Yes bad people have no doubt been rooted out but with plenty of collateral damage and potentially innocent people being condemned, ultimately making this a zero sum game. It is thus not wrong to feel disturbed and frightened that this eventually turned into a bunch of people, with no actual relation or business commenting on these situations and drunk on their own sense of self-righteous justice, torching everything that looked like a witch in sight.

Assuming that you mean "You can't look up TO anyone"

That's dark. People make mistakes. You can look up to someone because of their better attributes.

Not about to look up my family members either
Sorry, my bad, you're right, I intented to say "you can't look up to anyone"

This is what happens when you use Smash for a tool first (to advance your social status or whatever) and a game second. Young people buy into the "golden ticket", ***** themselves for it, and when they lose sight of why they started playing Smash, they decide to nail guys like Nairo to the cross for their own foolishness. If 20-year ****s should get a clue then so should 15-year ****s. Set the same standard for all, leave no room for excuses or else they will linger well past the 18th earth cycle as has been demonstrated. Just my two cents. Game on.
Here is the problem with that. Nairo had every opportunity to say no and walk away. He didn't. He went through with it so he has to pay the price. Nairo is the adult in this situation he should have known better.

I have literally not seen any comments at all wanting more than ZeRo being locked up for his crimes so I have no goddamn clue what you're talking about, not to mention you DID say he's already been severly punished when he's gotten a slap on the wrist
People want these guys dead. Your experience and what you saw, doesn't mean that I saw the same thing too.

They're treating this whole thing like an entertainment TV show with memes, jokes, and stupid comments. They're excited and gleeful. They're getting high off the drama. They're not thinking straight. Twitter is not a courtroom.

People are stupidly lashing out at others "zomg you're defending them?! You must be a pedo too!" or "**** off! I can't believe you're defending them" when posters don't even fully grasp what someone else is trying to say. They're so high on emotion, like R3D, that they just tell people to **** off before they even ask someone to clarify their point.

Honestly, you and R3D just confirmed my point all the more that people are so quick to go off on others in regards to this situation.

Zero deserves to be punished. I acknowledged that. Don't act like I think he should get off scott free or something like that.

I don't condone **** like telling him to go die, to go harass Vanessa who has nothing to do with this, to tell posters who hate seeing stuff like this to "**** off" as R3D so eloquently put it.

If you want to know where someone is coming from, just ask instead of getting all uppity. It's not hard.

It is thus not wrong to feel disturbed and frightened that this eventually turned into a bunch of people, with no actual relation or business commenting on these situations and drunk on their own sense of self-righteous justice, torching everything that looked like a witch in sight.
All. Of. This.

And that's the inherent problem with democratizing these types of things. The people that are forced to play judge, jury, and executioner are not equipped to do so. And not just in terms of expertise but there is also the fact natural fallacies and logical quirks can make what is an objective determination to the viewer actually a subjective one. That's before getting into the fact that the aforementioned black and white thinking lets people get lazy and think that any moral wrongdoer deserves everything coming their way without considering the consequences and who else might get caught in the crossfire.
And this too.

Last edited:
This is all deeply disturbing. I don't even have much to say besides that. Hopefully the victims get justice and closure.

People want these guys dead. Your experience and what you saw, doesn't mean that I saw the same thing too.

They're treating this whole thing like an entertainment TV show with memes, jokes, and stupid comments. They're excited and gleeful. They're getting high off the drama. They're not thinking straight. Twitter is not a courtroom.

People are stupidly lashing out at others "zomg you're defending them?! You must be a pedo too!" or "**** off! I can't believe you're defending them" when posters don't even fully grasp what someone else is trying to say. They're so high on emotion, like R3D, that they just tell people to **** off before they even ask someone to clarify their point.

Honestly, you and R3D just confirmed my point all the more that people are so quick to go off on others in regards to this situation.

Zero deserves to be punished. I acknowledged that. Don't act like I think he should get off scott free or something like that.

I don't condone **** like telling him to go die, to go harass Vanessa who has nothing to do with this, to tell posters who hate seeing stuff like this to "**** off" as R3D so eloquently put it.

If you want to know where someone is coming from, just ask instead of getting all uppity. It's not hard.

All. Of. This.

And this too.
I had not seen any of that targeted towards anyone who's been accused so this is the first I've heard of what you're saying. And as to why I assumed you said he should get off scott free, you literally said this
He's severely punished as is,
This implied that he shouldn't receive further shaming than a redundant self-imposed ban and the loss of friends and subscribers

There are no words to describe the awful feelings of disappointment, anger and disgust I feel. If I were a parent I'd probably never let my child go to a smash anything ever again. What a bunch of sickos. This sucks. All these people suck.

This post was warned for inappropriate content and behavior.
Yes, as a driver you should look out for pedestrians, but as a pedestrian you should "look both ways before crossing" likewise. Being sober helps too. This kid's gonna present his ass and get drunk around a bunch of horny 20-somethings, then pull a "surprised pickachu face" when someone decides to be an animal in turn. Don't do that unless you want to get ****ed, because your 'god' is a man after all. Otherwise let Nairo's poor judgement heal his sore bum or whatever damage was incurred (but it won't). Telling someone "You're supposed to be better than me!" is lame as hell. There is only one person in this world that you can change directly. When I was a teenager I held myself to 'adult' standards like a normal person living in eternal time innumerable. **** 'youth culture' that only produces excuses and idiots. OK, rant off.

I don't blame the victims one bit. The law says clearly the adult in the situation has full responsibility and in cases of inebriated victims they too are protected under the law for not being able to consent. In cases where the victim was a minor AND inebriated just... Wow. How can anyone justify or leverage some misguided 50/50 culpability?

Pedophilia is a disease.

**** culture is a disease.

And without these stories to bring these people into the spotlight there's no chance it can be cured.

I'm considering submitting some of the articles to the FBI. If there's anything I hate about the internet it's that it allows predators to infiltrate the lives of innocent people in ways that public interactions would otherwise be limited. Some of these monsters have been called out for sharing explicit media with minors and some coaxed minors into doing the same. There has to be real consequences for this.

Yes, as a driver you should look out for pedestrians, but as a pedestrian you should "look both ways before crossing" likewise. Being sober helps too. This kid's gonna present his ass and get drunk around a bunch of horny 20-somethings, then pull a "surprised pickachu face" when someone decides to be an animal in turn. Don't do that unless you want to get ****ed, because your 'god' is a man after all. Otherwise let Nairo's poor judgement heal his sore bum or whatever damage was incurred (but it won't). Telling someone "You're supposed to be better than me!" is lame as hell. There is only one person in this world that you can change directly. When I was a teenager I held myself to 'adult' standards like a normal person living in eternal time innumerable. **** 'youth culture' that only produces excuses and idiots. OK, rant off.
No one should be assaulted under any circumstances. Merely saying "He got what he deserved" doesn't dismiss the offending party of their accountability. It is a crime to have sexual contact with a minor, Saying "Well the other party was tempting me" does not hold up. Nairo is lucky Zack's parents don't press changes against him if they didn't already have. Again Nario is the adult in this situation, it does not matter how his defenders try to spin the narrative in the court of Law and public opinion only one thing matters to most people. Did Nairo have sexual contact with a minor? Yes he did and people will focus squarely on that. Trying to lessen the accountability of the offending party by dividing the blame doesn't really work in situations like this.

To shorten it. Nairo is lucky that he hasn't faced charges.

If you live life pretending like every person is perfectly civilized, merely because they ought to, you're gonna have a bad time. People are still half-animals after all, and everyone has their limit (though limits are made to be broken). You can only delve so deep before the social contract can no longer save you. Be pragmatic and don't get killed, it's not hard if you have any trace of humility & respect for people with a power advantage. Telling other people they need to change only works if you're perfect with absolutely no room for improvement. Nairo's "victim" is fast-approaching that 'all-important' age of accountability in which incarceration is 'just what the doctor ordered' (but learning accountability should begin from the start).

If you don't care about someone, you can't reasonably count on them to get better!

If you live life pretending like every person is perfectly civilized, merely because they ought to, you're gonna have a bad time. People are still half-animals after all, and everyone has their limit (though limits are made to be broken). You can only delve so deep before the social contract can no longer save you. Be pragmatic and don't get killed, it's not hard if you have any trace of humility & respect for people with a power advantage. Telling other people they need to change only works if you're perfect with absolutely no room for improvement. Nairo's "victim" is fast-approaching that 'all-important' age of accountability in which incarceration is 'just what the doctor ordered' (but learning accountability should begin from the start).

If you don't care about someone, you can't reasonably count on them to get better!
I am only telling you how the world views it. An adult taking advantage of a minor. Nario is lucky he hasn't be charged because this is a very serious crime he has committed and paying to keep his victim quiet only makes things even worst for him.

Top Bottom