• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo needs help with TV's and Gamecubes

MrWizard

EVO Founder
When smash got announced as the winner of the donation drive, everyone was happy. I got all kinds of requests to help out with equipment. But when I followed up with all the people, they all pretty much flaked out.

I'm turning to the community to help out because smash requires CRT's which cant really be bought in stores anymore.

So I'm turning to the community for help in securing equipment for Evo. Any help is appreciated.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Yo dude. Me, and the vegas scene can definitely contribute a bunch of CRTs and gamecubes, not sure exactly how many..but i'll find that out. Can we talk on twitter or FB instead? I'm not generally on here anymore.

@trahh or pm me for my FB info

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Yeah easy peasy pk dude, might be harder for us to grab CRTs from the east coast but I'm sure we can get those cubes out in force for this.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Cubes are easy, the handle ended up being a great addition lol. I'm sure people were planning on bringing cubes as carry-ons for the hotel, CRTs are a bit harder.

If any big TOs who are busing or driving could load up with a few that'd be great. If people do manage to bring a large amount this is definitely a good thing. I was expecting evo to rent CRTs for one day and have to run through the tournament. If this happens we'll have plenty of set ups for the off days for apex level friendlies and a good doubles side tournament. There are plenty out there, getting them there is an issue. Anyone from Cali willing to drive a truck down to Vegas? Maybe if someone could call in a favor and get a moving truck then the community could just offer them up to the cause.

idea

Smash Master
Weren't there some tourneys where the TO rented a whole bunch of CRTs? I can't find such a service on Google but I think it exists...

Also, a lot of the smash community uses various facebook groups now as well as/instead of the boards, so people need to notify their own regions through those too.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Mr. Wizard, have you checked out local Goodwill stores for tvs?

My local one has about 12 CRTs. most are probably 36" or bigger

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I've got five CRTs. Six, if I can find a way to transport the giant 40 inch or whatever it is. I'll bring them for EVO.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
I've got five CRTs. Six, if I can find a way to transport the giant 40 inch or whatever it is. I'll bring them for EVO.
Last time Mr. Wizard posted on twitter, the magic minimum number was 20. This man is putting us on his back.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
I've got 5 or 6 tvs because I used to host tourneys in norcal. I will bring as many as I can, although I know my car is gonna be super packed.

IMPORTANT QUESTION: What size tvs are we talking about? Do we have a minimum size? Most of mine are pretty small (around 17") and they've been turned down at tournaments before

MrWizard

EVO Founder
We reconfigured our tournament, so we only need 10-12 setups now. Anything over that you guys can use for casuals and/or team tournament. We can offer to comp the cover charge, or if you have something else in mind that is doable, we can discuss that further.

Thanks!

-Ran

Smash Master
10-12? If the Smash Community cannot manage that in five phone calls, we have a problem.

I think we've got this.

clowsui

Smash Legend
wait what lol

mr wizard i hope pools isn't going to be BO1 like it was at evo 2k7 :(

hmm...let's say you somehow hit 256 players

you use 256/8=32 pools w/ 2 TVs per pool
so you'd run 6 pools at a time w each wave taking 15*7 rounds of play = 1hr45m
10.5 hours

oh okay nvm you can do BO3s w 2 TVs/pool if you use 32 pools of 8

Master Ppv

Smash Journeyman
I think this will be a lot bigger than 256 entrants though dude... I'm expecting at least 512. At LEAST. There was way too much hype for this during the drive for that not to happen. Plus it stands to reason that people who donated would like to attend the event for the game that they helped win. Take away some who donated knowing they wouldn't be able to make it anyway (like me), sure, but I'd say a large number of the people who donated are probably planning to attend. If Mr. Wizard honestly believes he can run this with 10-12 setups, that's great, but we as a community should shoot for at least 25-30 anyway just in case. Even if we do run over and he doesn't need that many, I'm sure people will appreciate having more setups for friendlies. That's basically never a bad thing. And also that means we'll have backups. Again, just in case, but it's worth it.

This makes me really sorry I can't attend because I'd definitely bring a TV with me for sure. I have one small, decently light one a big one that's pretty monstrously heavy. Maybe if someone from Illinois is driving down instead of flying they could bring the smaller one, but oh well. Good luck!

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Most of the people who were going to attend Genesis 3 will be at this, plus a bunch extra (because of the hype that Evo brings). I can definitely see this tournament having more than 256 attendees, but we'll just have to wait and find out I guess

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
TBH I doubt it will be larger than Apex unless a lot of TFG players enter and I'm not sure about that either. 10-12 does seem small, I'm guessing he plans on doing waves and having something like 4 pools at a time play through without leaving the area, which could work but if we get more than 12 tvs by all means he should use them. When people are eliminated and they don't need as many tvs more can be used for friendlies but whatever, he knows what he's doing seeing as he does it every year.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
it would be 10-12 on top of whatever MrWizard & the Evo Staff have, Krisp.

-Ran

Smash Master
Please Smashers, do not think that someone else is going to do this if you're in the area. Let's show him the support that our community is capable of.

-Ran

Smash Master
This section doesn't get enough traffic. It needs an announcement/move to the Melee section.

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
I would've been able to set up an agreement for my large collection of CRT TV's, but the shipping alone or driving there was too costly.

Top Bottom