• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO Japan Titles Announced!

evo_japan.png

The game roster for EVO Japan has been officially revealed! A trailer for the upcoming tournament, which highlighted the titles, was shown to the EVO 2017 audience during Sunday’s Finals sets.

A total of seven titles will be featured:

• Super Smash Bros for Wii U
  • ARMS
  • Tekken 7
  • Street Fighter V
  • King of Fighters XIV
  • Blazblue: Central Fiction
  • Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2

As many viewers may remember, EVO Japan was formally announced at EVO 2016. Plans to bring the EVO experience to Japan have been in the works as far back as 2010, but due to the tragic Tohoku earthquake and tsunami, it was indefinitely put on the backburner.

The wait for the first EVO outside of North America ends early 2018, with EVO Japan taking place from January 26-28 in Tokyo.

Last edited:
Drew "Rikutsu" Hernandez

Comments

For the inevitable "Why no Melee" question I'll just post my reddit comment on the thing:
Apparently there are as many major Melee Players in Japan as there are major Virtua Fighter players in America(aka very freaking few). factor in how uncommon CRT systems are in the land of the rising sun compared to here and it seems that unless we get Melee on eShop they are out of luck.

The game roster for EVO Japan has been officially revealed! A trailer for the upcoming tournament, which highlighted the titles, was shown to the EVO 2017 audience during Sunday’s Finals sets.

A total of seven titles will be featured:

• Super Smash Bros for Wii U
  • ARMS
  • Tekken 7
  • Street Fighter V
  • King of Fighters XIV
  • Blazblue: Central Fiction
  • Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2

As many viewers may remember, EVO Japan was formally announced at EVO 2016. Plans to bring the EVO experience to Japan have been in the works as far back as 2010, but due to the tragic Tohoku earthquake and tsunami, it was indefinitely put on the backburner.

The wait for the first EVO outside of North America ends early 2018, with EVO Japan taking place from January 26-28 in Tokyo.

Why dont we all just make a Super Major in Japan. To show them that The Melee Community is serious. To show us the respect that we deserve, which is far more than Sm4sh & ESSPECIALLY! ARMS!

And it'll be even better if the Smash 4 community helps us out too. We need to help each other out so that the Smash Community, as a whole, could grow and not be looked down by the rest of the FGC.

Come on guys ! (SHARE THIS!)

Last edited:
I seriously can't help but feel that the two sentences underneath the hyperlink to this article are a jab at the Melee community...

Why dont we all just make a Super Major in Japan. To show them that The Melee Community is serious. To show us the respect that we deserve, which is far more than Sm4sh & ESSPECIALLY! ARMS!

And it'll be even better if the Smash 4 community helps us out too. We need to help each other out so that the Smash Community, as a whole, could grow and not be looked down by the rest of the FGC.

Come on guys ! (SHARE THIS!)
So first you're saying Melee deserves more respect than Smash 4, which is total bull, and then you go and say the Smash 4 community should help you? You're one of a kind.

So first you're saying Melee deserves more respect than Smash 4, which is total bull, and then you go and say the Smash 4 community should help you? You're one of a kind.
How long have we been at EVO.? The grind the Melee Community had to go through for us to get in there, AND STAY! While Smash 4 was put in because of Nintendo. Yeah, we derseve to be in there more than Smash 4. (Not saying Smash4 shouldnt be in there, and replaced by us) But Melee SHOULD be in the EVO Line-up, too.
But i guess i wasnt clear on my point in the message. The Melee Community should make a Super Major in Japan. If Sm4sh Community wants to help, that'll be amazing. Just let the rest of the FGC remember, THE ENTIRE SMASH COMMUNITY is a Serious/Beautiful/HardWorking community.

If anyone's curious as to why there's no Melee, it's because Melee is no where near as big in Japan as it is in America (or Canada, etc.). The scene there for Melee is extremely small, so it'd be pretty pointless to add it in when barely anyone would register. Whereas, if you put another, more popular game in (I don't really know how ARMS is doing in Japan but from what I've heard Japanese Smash players say about it, they seem to really like it) more people would attend and more money would be earned = more money for prizes and stuff.

How long have we been at EVO.? The grind the Melee Community had to go through for us to get in there, AND STAY! While Smash 4 was put in because of Nintendo. Yeah, we derseve to be in there more than Smash 4. (Not saying Smash4 shouldnt be in there, and replaced by us) But Melee SHOULD be in the EVO Line-up, too.
But i guess i wasnt clear on my point in the message. The Melee Community should make a Super Major in Japan. If Sm4sh Community wants to help, that'll be amazing. Just let the rest of the FGC remember, THE ENTIRE SMASH COMMUNITY is a Serious/Beautiful/HardWorking community.
I just posted a comment about this but I'll say it again: Melee isn't part of the EVO line-up because it isn't respected dude. It's just that the Melee scene in Japan is painfully tiny and it'd be a waste (loss of money/you could have a more popular game replace it) to have it be part of the line up. Melee has plenty of majors in America and Canada and so on. Japan's just the wrong place to look if you want to see a Melee major happen, especially something as major as EVO.

Last edited:
If anyone's curious as to why there's no Melee, it's because Melee is no where near as big in Japan as it is in America (or Canada, etc.). The scene there for Melee is extremely small, so it'd be pretty pointless to add it in when barely anyone would register. Whereas, if you put another, more popular game in (I don't really know how ARMS is doing in Japan but from what I've heard Japanese Smash players say about it, they seem to really like it) more people would attend and more money would be earned = more money for prizes and stuff.
You make a point on the Japanese Melee scene. Just read Amsa's tweet on Japan having 150 entries and that was their biggest. God.... really wanted Melee in Evo Japan. Saved up a lot for it since it was announced Evo 2016...

Well this sucks for melee, but makes a lot of sense. While the Japanese smash 4 scene is very healthy, the Japanese melee scene is tiny. No amount of complaining or brigading will change the fact that a small scene usually doesn't get a spot on the big stage (skullgirls, which is a regular at EVO but hasn't ever been on sunday to my knowledge).

The silver lining I guess is that melee is likely to get the championship sunday spot at EVO next year (assuming they keep swapping off like they have the last two years).

You make a point on the Japanese Melee scene. Just read Amsa's tweet on Japan having 150 entries and that was their biggest. God.... really wanted Melee in Evo Japan. Saved up a lot for it since it was announced Evo 2016...
Thank you, and I understand where you're coming from. Everyone wants their favorite game to be up there. It's unfortunate, but I don't think you could convince the FGC over there to change their minds. Still, I think EVO Japan's going to be legendary and it would still be totally worth the travel, so if you've saved up for it please give it a shot anyway! (Unless of course you only wanted to go for Melee, in which case I understand the disappointment.)

I can't do it anymore. I just can't stay quiet about it anymore.

I barely keep track of Melee itself, besides the Top 8 results. It's the same four people every freaking time. A self-cannibalizing, self-inclusive fanbase like itself has managed to cannibalize itself just to prove it can stay up in the years. There's only a small handful of viable characters, and the meta revolves around characters flash-stepping or whatever back and forth in a way that was never intended. It's there because it's Melee, and that's the way it stays. It was Sakurai's pleasant mistake that gave birth to the game that it was. Yet, if it wasn't for its movement mechanics, Melee would have been replaced by Brawl, and would have just been another Smash game.

Melee fans turned against Brawl fans. Melee fans turned against Smash 4 fans. Melee fans were largely the reason the FGC alienated the Smash community for the longest time. "We want Melee" chants solidify the representation of the fanbase and their self-centered standpoints on their game being the only one that matters. Yet the moment Nintendo shouts out Smash 4 tournaments or benefits their current title in every way, the first response you see on social media is, "where's the Melee?" When a tournament is being hosted and it's not included, "where's the Melee?"

It's a meme-centered culture based around Fox and Falco, the "hype" from constant 0 to death combos in a self-deprecating meta, yet players claim it's somehow growing. Well, Japan proves that they know how to move on. Melee's popular for what it is, yet there is no future. It's the present, and it's especially the past.

To even make an article about this shows how centric Melee fans think. One international tournament, and suddenly, people panic that it's dying. Well, 16 years of the same mess and it goes to show nothing's changed. One player put it far better than I did.

"It's a solved game."

Watch what you want, but there's no point in making such a deal out of it that it has to hit the front page. Japan has the right idea, yet players will choose to fret about it.

Thank you, and I understand where you're coming from. Everyone wants their favorite game to be up there. It's unfortunate, but I don't think you could convince the FGC over there to change their minds. Still, I think EVO Japan's going to be legendary and it would still be totally worth the travel, so if you've saved up for it please give it a shot anyway! (Unless of course you only wanted to go for Melee, in which case I understand the disappointment.)
Of course im going to ****ing EVO Japan. Like, "da ****?". It's the first EVO out of America. I know it's going to be amazing! (Well at least, I hope it is). I just really wanted Melee to be there. Only game i like to play competitively.
Still got love for Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, Smash 4!
I have no bias in the FGC. Just really sad Melee isnt gonna be there, because i do strongly believe it DESERVES to be there.
But it does make complete sense for EVO to take Melee out because... why waste money on a game that doesnt have a huge scene in that region. So i'm not mad at EVO at all.

*AND TO THOSE GOING TO EVO JAPAN*
-I'll be going to attend EVO Japan. I'll be there to rep Melee, bring my own CRT/Gamecube, and will welcome anyone wanting to play. If you find me, "YOU'RE THE **** & AWESOME! Let's play, & have fun!" Because that's what Video Games are for.

See you guys at EVO Japan!
TekDaLedge ^-¥

I hope there are plenty of side events with more underrated anime-like fighters like DOA and Virtua Fighter and of older titles like Guilty Gear XX or Street Fighter 3rd Strike, as I find those games more interesting to watch than the modern/contemporary titles.

I can't do it anymore. I just can't stay quiet about it anymore.

I barely keep track of Melee itself, besides the Top 8 results. It's the same four people every freaking time. A self-cannibalizing, self-inclusive fanbase like itself has managed to cannibalize itself just to prove it can stay up in the years. There's only a small handful of viable characters, and the meta revolves around characters flash-stepping or whatever back and forth in a way that was never intended. It's there because it's Melee, and that's the way it stays. It was Sakurai's pleasant mistake that gave birth to the game that it was. Yet, if it wasn't for its movement mechanics, Melee would have been replaced by Brawl, and would have just been another Smash game.

Melee fans turned against Brawl fans. Melee fans turned against Smash 4 fans. Melee fans were largely the reason the FGC alienated the Smash community for the longest time. "We want Melee" chants solidify the representation of the fanbase and their self-centered standpoints on their game being the only one that matters. Yet the moment Nintendo shouts out Smash 4 tournaments or benefits their current title in every way, the first response you see on social media is, "where's the Melee?" When a tournament is being hosted and it's not included, "where's the Melee?"

It's a meme-centered culture based around Fox and Falco, the "hype" from constant 0 to death combos in a self-deprecating meta, yet players claim it's somehow growing. Well, Japan proves that they know how to move on. Melee's popular for what it is, yet there is no future. It's the present, and it's especially the past.

To even make an article about this shows how centric Melee fans think. One international tournament, and suddenly, people panic that it's dying. Well, 16 years of the same mess and it goes to show nothing's changed. One player put it far better than I did.

"It's a solved game."

Watch what you want, but there's no point in making such a deal out of it that it has to hit the front page. Japan has the right idea, yet players will choose to fret about it.
:GCA:Think you might wanna check your sh*t first buddy. Plup just got 1st place at Dreamhack Atlanta. Here are the top results:
:GCR:1. PG|Plup (Fox, Sheik)
2. Liquid|Hungrybox (Jigglypuff)
3. FOX|Mew2King (Sheik, Marth, Fox)
4. Tempo|Axe (Pikachu)
5. Balance|DruggedFox (Fox)
5. CLG|SFAT (Fox)
7. MSF|The Moon (Marth)
7. ERG|Ryan Ford (Fox)

:GCB: That is only two gods in top 8. And they came in 2nd and 3rd.

:GCCR:And no one knows what's going to happen at GOML 2017, Smash Con. 2017, Shine 2017, Smash Gods And Gatekeepers, etc.

:GCStart: Also, you say it's a solved game but, people continue to learn new things about it every day.

Lol, come on dude, only two of them entered. If the rest had, he'd still be right.
Ok but Plup still beat M2K and double eliminated HungryBox to come in first though. You have to at least give em credit that some of these guys are actually getting to the verge of potential "god" level.

Ok but Plup still beat M2K and double eliminated HungryBox to come in first though. You have to at least give em credit that some of these guys are actually getting to the verge of potential "god" level.
I'd say just Plup and to a lesser extent Axe myself. Plup has not been trying hard enough.

Top Bottom