• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO Japan 2020 Begins Today

evo.jpg

Following in the footsteps of its more well-known American counterpart, EVO Japan begins its third year today. During this event, players will compete head to head in various fighters to reach the first place spot as well as win various kinds of prizes. The frontrunner for this year’s event is Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, which reached over 2,000 entries making it the highest entered game of the tournament.

Listed below are the main game lineups of EVO Japan 2020, along with the time of their respective grand finals:
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
    • Grand Finals: Saturday 1/25, 10:30 pm EST
  • Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition
    • Grand Finals: Sunday 1/26, 2:30 am EST
  • Tekken 7
    • Grand Finals: Saturday 1/25, 7:00 pm EST
  • Samurai Shodown (AKA Samurai Spirits in Japan)
    • Grand Finals: Saturday 1/25, 1:30 am EST
  • Soul Cailbur VI
    • Grand Finals: Friday 1/24, 9:45 pm EST
  • BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle
    • Grand Finals: Saturday 1/25, 4:30 am EST
Some notable players who will be attending the event include Smash’s Sota "Zackray" Okada and legendary Street Fighter player Daigo Umehara.

You can watch the matches live on the official EVO Twitch account:

https://www.twitch.tv/evo

Outside of the actual main fighting events, there is also the possibility of several reveals to take place during these next few days. A few examples of past EVO Japan reveals include several characters reveals for SNK’s Samurai Shodown reboot as well as Namco showing off some new Soul Calibur VI characters during the 2018 event. Although nothing is confirmed to be revealed this year, the idea of something new being shown is certainly a reason to keep an eye on the event.

EVO Japan 2020 begins today on January 24th and will end on Sunday January 26th

Author’s note: Which tournaments/possible reveals are you most excited to see? Let us know in the comments!

Last edited:
Sari

Comments

D
Smash: doing fairly well with characters.
Any other fighting game: doing well
Tekken: nErF lErOy

No seriously. I'm more concerned with Tekken 7's issue right now...I mean, we Smash players suffered that before.

Kudos to my fam doing well in Smash (especially Zackray doing the Joker represent), but this is something I really need to see unfold.

Top Bottom