• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO 2023 Lineup Revealed

evo.jpg

The main lineup for EVO 2023 has just been announced. The announcements were revealed as part of EVO's official twitch stream and then posted as individual posts on their Twitter account.

The following games will be the main events for this year's EVO:
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Guilty Gear Strive
  • Dragon Ball FighterZ
  • Tekken 7
  • The King of Fighters XV
  • Melty Blood: Type Lumina
  • Mortal Kombat 11: Ultimate
  • Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
There will be several side events as well, such as an open beta tournament for Grand Blue Fantasy: Versus Rising hosted by CyGames.

EVO 2023 will take place in Las Vegas, Nevada, and will last from August 4th to August 6th. You can check out the full info on the event here.

Credits:
Writing/Editing: Sari Sari
Social Media: @Zerp

Author's Note: How do you feel about this main lineup, and what game(s) are you most excited for? Let us know in the comments below!

Sari

Comments

Differences between the EVO 2022 and EVO 2023:
  • 8 main lineup games instead of last year's 9. Granblue Fantasy: Versus and Skullgirls: 2nd Encore takes the axe from this year's main lineup, although the former is getting a demo for the upcoming Granblue Fantasy: Versus Rising. The latter will likely be a side event.
  • Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 is now part of the main lineup, the first time it is featured since EVO 2017.
  • Street Fighter V: Champion Edition has had a long successful history at EVO, but with Street Fighter 6 to be released between now and EVO, the time has come to pass the torch.
Outside of that, the games are mostly the same from last year.
Smash was absent from last year's lineup largely from Panda Cup being ongoing, but despite that being postponed (likely straight up axed at this point), it is absent from this year as well. Personally not upset on this (Smash at EVO can be either hit or miss for me personally), but I know some will not be pleased.
Still, there is a lot of amazing things to be looking forward to for this EVO:
  • The debut of Street Fighter 6 at EVO.
  • The return of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 on the main lineup since 6 years ago.
  • Melty Blood: Type Lumina is essentially a whole new game since it was last shown at EVO.
  • Related to above, but overall to see how new metas have evolved from last year.
  • First impressions on Granblue Fantasy: Versus Rising.
  • Various announcements on new DLC characters (GGStrive, KoFXV, likely SF6), potential new games, and news on the brand new fighting games coming up soon (Tekken 8).

Bummed but not surprised that there is no Smash. It's amazing to see UMvC3 return though, I'm definitely hyped for that (RIP Infinite, hopefully it'll be a side tourney).

Street Fighter 6 will be really interesting to see play out given how early it will be in the game's lifespan, and how large of a net they're casting for causal players like myself. Am not a SF fan by any means, but am honestly interested in checking out SF6 at launch.

A welcome return for UMvC3 after it had been absent from the EVO scene for quite a while. But I am eager to see how Street Fighter 6 does in its first EVO appearance taking the mantle ahead of its predeccessor.

In terms of what they will reveal which is most likely updates to Street Fighter 6, KOF XV and further reveals for Tekken 8. I wonder if we could hear news on SNK's new Fatal Fury game?

Top Bottom