• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event Evo 2019

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Anyone know what character Abadango used in the bracket? I assume Wario but I'm not finding any clear indication.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Speak of other major players falling, Elegant :ultluigi: 2-0s ESAM :ultpikachu:, eliminating him at 25th place; Elegant has been on such a rampage, holy cow.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I missed most of the set, but that ending with Proto vs Tweek had me jumping.

It's a shame we couldn't get best of 5s at this point of time.
Still bo3 and hte pressure that comes from it has it's impacts.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Nietono :ultwario: also beat Marss :ultzss: 2-1, while ProtoBanham :ultlucina: narrowly lost to Tweek :ultpokemontrainerf: 1-2. Nobody seems to be safe here.

Knowing that, it looks like we're getting MkLeo vs. Maister again for 17th. Can't even properly predict this one.

Anyone know what character Abadango used in the bracket? I assume Wario but I'm not finding any clear indication.
I know he beat Zackray in Wario dittos, and he did beat Mr.R with him as well. Didn't really see him on stream with anybody else.

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Marss :ultzss: 2-1s Nairo :ultpalutena: , Light :ultfox: 2-1s WaDi :ultrob:, Shuton :ultolimar: 2-1s Plup :ultmegaman:, and MKLeo :ultjoker: 2-1s Maister :ultgnw:; all are out at 17th place.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Nietono :ultwario: also beat Marss :ultzss: 2-1, while ProtoBanham :ultlucina: narrowly lost to Tweek :ultpokemontrainerf: 1-2. Nobody seems to be safe here.

Knowing that, it looks like we're getting MkLeo vs. Maister again for 17th. Can't even properly predict this one.
So Tweek's sticking with :ultpokemontrainerf:? As a :ultyounglink: player that's kind of disappointing. It's just frustrating to YL's meta to see so few top level matches with him and the few there are have YL losing to better players like Debuz beating
Supahsemmie
(darn cut and paste)
in Albion 4. I wish YL had an Elegant or Maister of his own. I'll stop *****ing about this now.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Raito :ultduckhunt:2-1 Dabuz :ultolimar: to get into top 8 winners

Every dog indeed has his day!

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
In a pretty early encounter, Light :ultfox: 2-0s Marss :ultzss:, eliminating him at 13th place; that hug at the end was great.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Another tragic Japan teamkill happens again. Zackray :ultwolf: beats Shuton :ultolimar: 2-0 for 13th.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I didn't think Wario's gonna hold strong in the meta especially with Tweek potentially dropping him but hoo boy I'm being proven wrong right now.

Glutonny :ultwario: 2-1 Kameme :ultmegaman:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
This is what Top 8 Winner's Side looks like:

Tweek :ultpokemontrainerf: vs. Samsora :ultpeach:
Raito :ultduckhunt: vs. Gluttony :ultwario:

I don't think anyone ever expected to see Duck Hunt in Top 8 at EVO of all things, but damn, this top 8 is looking to be one of the most spicy ones yet.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
I can understand Dabuz wanting to keep using Rosa but using a bad character just won't work, and it's probably for the best if he goes back to Palu as a secondary.

Light :ultfox: 2-1 Dabuz :ultrosalina: to make losers top 8

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
aww man... Nietono's expression there after losing to Zackray. You can tell he wanted to be in top 8 SO bad..

Last edited:

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
and Kameme's run ends with ProtoBanHam taking it 2-1 over him, :ultlucina:vs.:ultmegaman: all three games.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
aww man... Nietono's expression there after losing to Zackray. You can tell he wanted to be in top 8 SO bad..
Especially after his amazing performance last EVO. Was pretty heartbreaking but happy to see so much Japan representation in the top 8/top 16. Excited for tomorrow!

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Yesss. Proto and Zackray in top 8. A Falco makes top 32, even with two tragic bird team kills earlier in the bracket.

Seven is a beast, but shout-outs to FILIP, Active, and SK92.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
So, it looks like this:

Top 8 Winners:

Top 8 Losers:
ProtoBanham :ultlucina: vs. Light :ultfox:
Zackray :ultwolf: vs. MkLeo:ultjoker:

On a completely unrelated note: Ven :ultzelda: got eliminated extremely early at 193th place. Ties in with his less than stellar performances at the locals as well, sadly.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
So, it looks like this:

Top 8 Winners:

Top 8 Losers:
ProtoBanham :ultlucina: vs. Light :ultfox:
Zackray :ultwolf: vs. MkLeo:ultjoker:
Just woke up this morning. This is an exciting lineup for top 8. A breath of fresh air after the weird lineup we got last year.

Also, it seems like Raito is guaranteed to outplace his performance from last year (he got a very impressive 7th placing last year). I wonder how much further he can push the duo.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Knowing that ProtoBanham busted out Inkling in bracket, notably to eliminate Mr. R, I hope we get to see him break out the squid in Top 8, particularly if he manages to meet MKLeo in bracket. I still feel like Joker / Inkling is a MU worth analyzing.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Really sad to see Kameme knocked out. That set with Leo was so damn hype. These Japan players are so entertaining with these unconventional characters. Here’s hoping Raito takes it all the way! Haha!

Last edited:

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Raito vs. Glutonny looks interesting, given how Glutonny beat him at Albion 4.
I wonder if Raito learned that MU after that. If not, then Gluto will probably beait Raito solidly, again.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Raito vs. Glutonny looks interesting, given how Glutonny beat him at Albion 4.
I wonder if Raito learned that MU after that. If not, then Gluto will probably beait Raito solidly, again.
I remember the MU being bad for Duck Hunt in Smash 4, I can see it being the same here. But who knows, it's Raito.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
Really rooting for Glutonny to win EVO.

Also, did we get a Villager/Isabelle main in Top 32 at EVO? And this is pre-patch Isabelle as well. Just goes to show that these two might be sleeper picks.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Rooting for Raito. A perceived middling mid tier winning evo would be hype as heck.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Really rooting for Glutonny to win EVO.

Also, did we get a Villager/Isabelle main in Top 32 at EVO? And this is pre-patch Isabelle as well. Just goes to show that these two might be sleeper picks.
kept mostly played Villager throughout the tournament, and I think that is what he used to get his big wins.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Raito lost to Glutonny and Dabuz as Albion 4. He beat Dabuz yesterday to get here, and now he is getting a similar rematch with Glutonny.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
I dunno. I so want Raito to win but Wario just seems like a miserable MU for the Duck Hunt. DH wants to generally play the long game with zoning and spacing which will give Wario all the more time to get Waft and turn the match from having 100%+ in percent , to being ahead in Stocks and getting the advantage in general. Plus DH can really struggle to kill and Wario can survive for so long I get depressed thinking about it

If Raito wants to win vs Gluttony he has to be in fully Galaxy Brain mode ever second of that fight. Then again Raito has obviously figured out the Olimar MU beating both Shuton and Dabuz to get to Top 8 Winners, so maybe he has found a solution to Wario as well

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Raito lost to Glutonny and Dabuz as Albion 4. He beat Dabuz yesterday to get here, and now he is getting a similar rematch with Glutonny.
I didn’t catch with the games yet. Is there a video that depicts what happened? If not, what’s the takeaways?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I love (actually kinda hate) that widespread community feelings that Zard "sucked" was so prolific that they've actually further buffed him.
But Zard's range and ground speed is insane, and we're seeing Tweek carry match ups in the most crucial of times with Zard vs a plethora of top level (top 10) players in the game.

Seems like Squirtle is there for zero suit samus, ivysaur is there for an "air dodge up air" (through a switch) sneaky KOs and being a strong anti-air character, and otherwise Zard's pulling the team the to victory as a super heavy, super long ranged, strong recovery (at higher %), multiple double jumps help neutral/mix ups and disadvantage A LOT.

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Poor Samsora almost had it at the end, but MKLeo's reminding us he's still a Smash god even after Smash Factor 8.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Yeah, Samsora had controlling leads, but as we know, leads against Joker aren't really real if you can't clutch out the stock - for a character with "stubby limbs" against a character who doesn't overtly commit in their animations, it's pretty difficult.

Still great showing and great set.

The hype/timeline of Leo vs Tweek in grand finals, for the first time since practically the game's release, and all but certain that both players are at near peak-level is making me extremely excitable.

Gluttony could still pull it through, and he's able to adapt to tweek too.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Now, let's see how the best from Europe with Glutonny stands against the best of the world, Leo.
Rooting for Gluto but I want a lit set in the first place.

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
Leo demolished Raito unfortunately. The true reality of this game is revealed which always existed, people ‘love this game’ because so many characters are viable etc but that’s not the case. The only difference is that more characters are viable than any previous smash entry. There are still large gaps between the majority of the cast and top tiers, just not as large as it used to be. It isn’t that this game has great balance, it only has great balance in comparison to previous smash games. At the top level, less than 10 characters are used significantly. Any others seen are either one or two that represent their lower tiered character. Wario, Lucina, Palutena, Wolf, Pokémon Trainer, Snake, Pikachu and Peach represent the majority of top level play, with ZSS, Joker, Mega Man and Greninja less used but still within this Elite category.

Now, one might say, wow, 15 characters is great variety, but this is only in comparison to previous smash games. 15/74 is a fifth of the roster, doesn’t even come close to half. Many of the characters in this game don’t get their chance to shine, the potential situation of a Duck Hunt winning the tournament was exciting, but why was this the case? This is the case because he is an underdog, crippled in comparison to top tiers. And many characters are also in this state.

Attempts have been made to balance the game through patches. Although some players said the game on release was perfectly fine, ESAM is an example, which would seem the case from a Pikachu main. However, these patches have been delicate, gradual and sometimes inconsistent. Kirby got some buffs but they suddenly cut off. Same goes for Jigglypuff, Little Mac, King K. Rool, and Bowser Jr. In other words, I have no idea what exactly the grand scheme of the balance team seems to be. Buff a character a bit. Then forget about them even though they need it really bad. Buff a character a lot who already has things going for them. Then repeat. Buff a character a ton who already is fairly decent. Slightly buff a top tier while nerfing other top tiers. However, I will admit that it could be much worse, lower tier characters are getting buffs but at a slow pace, which is more than can be said for the grand majority of the Smash.

This game is better balance wise than any previous entry, but when it comes to the top it’s quite polarized, not figuratively but numerically. Half of the cast sees near to no usage competitively at top level play (super majors). The other half sees fair usage for the most part, with about ten receiving the majority of usage and results. At mid level play (locals, competitive online play), the game’s balance is a bit better but these top tiers still are just that. And itemless casual play isn’t balanced at all because of the sacrifice the game has made for the other levels, but that shouldn’t be that important due to the ability of a casual to improve or use more items.

The main point of this post is that the match between Raito and Mkleo is proof that this game has a way to go in terms of balance. The best Duck Hunt in the world vs the best Joker, and I don’t think the argument can be made that Mkleo is simply better in terms of skill. Raito plays with a handicap at top level, but hopefully soon his efforts at sticking to his character will pay off with an improvement to the game’s balance.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
REVERSE 3-0 INTO A 3-0

Christ i'm still shaking

MKLeo ascended

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
I feel so bad for Tweek. Leo just caught on to him hard. As that last game went on, Leo just stayed a step ahead the whole time.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I feel so bad for Tweek. Leo just caught on to him hard. As that last game went on, Leo just stayed a step ahead the whole time.
Game 4 before the bracket reset was entirely his, but Leo pulled off a miracle.

I'm actually amazed Leo stayed so composed that game despite going against such a big lead and then getting completely in Tweek's head in a last hit situation on tournament point GOD DAMN

Top Bottom