• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO 2018 Discussion Thread for Smash 4

NNID
User7a1
Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
No MkLeo or Tweek. Well, that hurts the competition for sure. Anyway, I hope Choco can perform well for his 10th seed. I will be rooting for Lea and komorikiri the most though.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
No MkLeo or Tweek. Well, that hurts the competition for sure. Anyway, I hope Choco can perform well for his 10th seed. I will be rooting for Lea and komorikiri the most though.
The Smash gg website said that both of them entered in. Did they announce that both aren't participating?

Iridium

Smash Hero
The Smash gg website said that both of them entered in. Did they announce that both aren't participating?
MkLeo got chicken pox right before, so he can't play overall for a while. Tweek's flight got cancelled, and he does not appear to have time to fly again, it seems, for this tourney.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
EVO Entrants

PGR'ed Players (based on the current PGR now, just to remind you)
Nairo:4zss:
Dabuz:rosalina:
Mistake:4bayonetta2:
Cosmos:4corrinf:
Salem:4bayonetta:
komorikiri:4cloud2::4sonic:
Captain Zack:4bayonetta2:
VoiD:4sheik:
Light:4fox:
Abadango:4bayonetta::4mewtwo:
Larry Lurr:4fox:
ANTi:4mario::4zss:
Elegant:4luigi:
Lima:4bayonetta2:
falln:rosalina:
ESAM:4pikachu:
Raito:4duckhunt:
Kameme:4megaman::4sheik:
Shuton:4olimar:
MVD:4diddy:
Choco:4zss:
Ally:4mario:
Vinnie:4sheik::rosalina:
AC:4metaknight:
Nietono:4sheik::4diddy:
Captain L:4pikachu:
tyroy:4bayonetta:
shky:4zss:
Zenyou:4mario:

Notable Players
Manny:4sonic:
Karna:4sheik:
Eon:4fox:
K9sbruce:4sheik::4diddy:
NAKAT:4fox::4ness:
Mr. E:4lucina::4marth:
Charlie:4fox::4bayonetta2:
Konga:4dk:
Stroder:4greninja:
JK:4bayonetta2:
Dynamo:4cloud2:
Meteor:4sonic:
Vermillion:4cloud2:
VaLoR:4sonic:
takera:4ryu:
BestNess:4ness:
Yuzu:rosalina:
Tyrant:4metaknight:
Kiki:4diddy:
Lea:4greninja:
PiXL:4ryu:
Brosinex:4ryu:
Ki:4ryu:
Nicko:4shulk:
Zan:4tlink:
3xA:4tlink:
Dakpo:4zss::4luigi:
Promaelia:4corrinf:
Razo:4peach:
Ozone:4duckhunt:
Taternator:4wendy:
Extra:4gaw::4wario:
Zoan:4mewtwo:
SM:4myfriends:
S2H:4metaknight:
Kiraflax:4darkpit::4pit:
Cagt:4littlemac:
ven:4zelda:
TLTC:4palutena:
B7Games:4drmario:

If there is someone else I should put down, let me know.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
So neither the #1 or #2 seeds will be present.
The crown really is up for grabs.
:196:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Mistake can take it, even Captain Zack has shown he has the capacity.
Maybe even another surprise with enough bracket luck, like Elegant, or Choco.

Phil Time

Smash Cadet
MkLeo got chicken pox right before, so he can't play overall for a while. Tweek's flight got cancelled, and he does not appear to have time to fly again, it seems, for this tourney.

No matter who wins the competition for Super Smash Bros. For Wii U 1.1.7, I hope that no one tries to discredit their Evolution title by mentioning that elite competitors (such as MkLeo and Tweek) were absent.

I remember that there were even some fans that said that Hungrybox's 2016 Evolution title in Super Smash Bros. Melee 1.02 was tainted (or, even worse, NULL AND VOID) because Leffen was not allowed to enter the competition.

Hell, Hungrybox's 2016 Evolution title is even more valid now because Armada won the 2017 Evolution title in Super Smash Bros. Melee 1.02 and Leffen actually competed in the 2017 edition.

So far, Leffen hasn't even been in the Grand Finals of any Evolution yet.

However, having said that, it would be difficult for me to be in the Top 700 of Evolution in Super Smash Bros. Melee 1.02.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Cosmos could take it too. One of his biggest issues seems to be Cloud, and with MkLeo and Tweek gone he's much more likely to run into a good Cloud. Bayonetta players also benefit from not having to face Tweek or MkLeo, so they should also have a pretty good shot. Nairo and Dabuz are also fairly likely to take it, of course.

Maybe we'll even see something like Raito - Elegant in the Grand Finals? That would certainly be hype.

Phil Time

Smash Cadet
Bayonetta players also benefit from not having to face Tweek or MkLeo, so they should also have a pretty good shot.

It goes without saying that any expert competitor that uses Cereza can win the 2018 Evolution title.

Cereza is still the best character in Super Smash Bros. For Wii U 1.1.7.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
It goes without saying that any expert competitor that uses Cereza can win the 2018 Evolution title.

Cereza is still the best character in Super Smash Bros. For Wii U 1.1.7.
With Tweek and MkLeo gone, yeah. If they were still there then I think Bayonetta mains (aside from Tweek) would struggle a lot more (it's still doable, of course).

Phil Time

Smash Cadet
With Tweek and MkLeo gone, yeah. If they were still there then I think Bayonetta mains (aside from Tweek) would struggle a lot more (it's still doable, of course).

Heh. I am always fascinated by how bitter and salty some members of the Super Smash Bros. For Wii U 1.1.7 community can be.

Static Manny even went as far as to say that Cereza is too powerful and/or cheap.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

And to think that I used to play the official release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

On top of everything, I barely ever used Meta Knight in the official release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Who do you think is better? Meta Knight in the official release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl or Cereza in Super Smash Bros. For Wii U 1.1.7?

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Meta Knight in the official release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl or Cereza in Super Smash Bros. For Wii U 1.1.7?
Meta Knight easily. A lot of players find Bayonetta frustrating to play against though, perhaps she's more similar to Brawl Ice Climbers in that sense?

Anyway, Ultimate is on the horizon, and Bayonetta looks a bit more fun to play against in that game (and a bit weaker too), so we might see less Bayonetta hate once Ultimate is released.

Phil Time

Smash Cadet
Meta Knight easily. A lot of players find Bayonetta frustrating to play against though, perhaps she's more similar to Brawl Ice Climbers in that sense?

Anyway, Ultimate is on the horizon, and Bayonetta looks a bit more fun to play against in that game (and a bit weaker too), so we might see less Bayonetta hate once Ultimate is released.

Now that I think about it, Meta Knight was absurdly powerful.

Mew2King, ZeRo, Otori, Nairo, Cody, and countless others used (or still use) Meta Knight for a reason.

I suppose that I keep thinking of Cereza in Super Smash Bros. For Wii U 1.1.7 because she's in a video game that is much newer than the official release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
If we took the most broken of broken, allowing everything off Brawl MK and Bayo,MK could just hit someone once and then do the dimensional cape glitch to turn invisible and stall out the clock...from that perspective, he's more broken.

Not considering the glitch,still Mk. He's just more dominant in the tournament scene with scarier tools. Although Bayo is very stupid and kind of hurts the smash 4 scene,just a little bit though.(especially twitch chats lol)

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Waaayyy back many months ago I called Cosmos breaking into top 3 for EVO, and a Sonic placing 4th. With KEN gone, that latter prediction is very unlikely now. On the plus side, I have faith that Cosmos will place top 4 in this tourney.
On a separate note I feel Salem will take the tourney (or at least participate in grands), especially with the absence of MKLeo and Tweek.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Is it just me or does Tweek seem to get DQ'ed from major tournaments more than he gets to attend them

Last edited:

ThatGuyWhoKnowsNothing

Smash Apprentice
Cosmos could take it too. One of his biggest issues seems to be Cloud, and with MkLeo and Tweek gone he's much more likely to run into a good Cloud. Bayonetta players also benefit from not having to face Tweek or MkLeo, so they should also have a pretty good shot. Nairo and Dabuz are also fairly likely to take it, of course.

Maybe we'll even see something like Raito - Elegant in the Grand Finals? That would certainly be hype.
What I want- Raito v elegant, winners finals. Raito Dabuz, Losers Finals. Elegant Dabuz, grand finals.
What I think- A Bayo v a Bayonetta, winners finals. a Bayonetta vs A Cloud losers finals. A Bayo vs a Bayonetta, grand finals.
I don't even dislike Bayo, but without ZeRo that's out only realistic option, but with a little luck and twice as many performance-enhancing drugs, we could get something a lot cooler
Also, I'm depressed KEN's not going, he got top 8 at EVO Japan, so I betcha he's got a pretty good chance at Normal EVO, THough I will admit I'm pretty biased

Last edited:

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Tuned into Esam disrespecting another Ganondorf main in a ditto and watched Elegant do some crazy, true fair spike chain grab into an Up b kill at like, 10%.

Evo so far is looking fun!

Although I'm really disappointed you have to pay for EVO chat on twitch now...come on. It's so slow now, not as hype inducing.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
I saw the most hilarious match ever. AC was fighting a mediocre Pac Man player, and at game 2, AC switched to Falco and all he did was spam lasers. XD

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
ROFL,ac's Falco wins a match spamming Laser and reflector 98% of the match against a Pac man.

So...that was a thing.

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
It might have been frustrating, but he (the Pac player) must have learned from that. Valuable, though it's crazy it took going to Evo to get that particular lesson.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
The Pac-man player tried to get creative on the fly, figured some unconventional solutions to the situation he was in, but none was ultimately able to get him the victory.
I would say he probably was just trying to have fun, but his face at the end said something entirely different.
But props to AC willing to expose a character's weaknesses.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Maniac Jace :4sheik: 2-0 PiXL :4ryu:
Jabe :4olimar: 2-1 Drystan :4bayonetta2:
Probeans :4myfriends: 2-1 Zan :4tlink:
Yep :4ness: over Skylar :4gaw:

The only upsets we got so far.

Last edited:

ThatGuyWhoKnowsNothing

Smash Apprentice
Probeans looks like he might upset Nakat, but probably not
Nevermind, but on a different note, My old prediction came before I realized Leo and Tweek aren't there, which gives Bayo and cloud fewer reps, but there's still Salem and stuff, but they've fallen behind Dabuz, who I really want to win. Also, I didn't watch C.E.O, but seeing Dabuz's entrance on the pgr vid was worth it

Last edited:

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Maniac Jace :4sheik: 2-0 PiXL :4ryu:
Jabe :4olimar: 2-1 Drystan :4bayonetta2:
Probeans :4myfriends: 2-1 Zan :4tlink:
Yep :4ness: over Skylar :4gaw:

The only upsets we got so far.
Even then, I wouldn't consider any of these upsets even big. Any of then even on the
PGR?

Absolutely nothing for upsets yet. Closest I saw was MVD vs Agape last hit last stock last match scenario.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Even then, I wouldn't consider any of these upsets even big. Any of then even on the
PGR?

Absolutely nothing for upsets yet. Closest I saw was MVD vs Agape last hit last stock last match scenario.
Yeah, nothing too notable yet. Captain Zack also noted going to last hit twice versus the Wario Harlonga, although it was still a 2-0. Lima went to game 3 versus PSIguy, and Nietono went to game 3 vs. S2H.

Last edited:

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Stroder went Luigi and Roy in pools vs Swamp , a ddd. Last hit last stock both ties but stroder won. Guess he's sandbagging in pools too.

Top Bottom