• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO 2016: This Year's Winner is Juan "TL Hungrybox" Debiedma

After an incredible journey through loser's bracket and a game 5 bracket reset leading into a game 5 grand finale, this year's EVO 2016 Super Smash Bros. Melee champion is Team Liquid's own Juan "Hungrybox" Debiedma. With an incredible turnout of 2,350, eight players stood above all else. Your EVO 2016 Top 8 are as follows:

1) TL Hungrybox (:jigglypuffmelee:)
2) A Armada (:peachmelee:, :foxmelee:)
3) PG Plup (:sheikmelee:, :samusmelee:)
4) C9 Mango (:foxmelee:)
5) FOX MVG Mew2King (:marthmelee:, :foxmelee:)
5) TS S2J (:falconmelee:)
7) G2 Westballz (:falcomelee:)
7) CLG PewPewU (:marthmelee:)

The Mandalay Bay Stadium was home to an amazing showing of talent and dedication by some of the Melee communities' finest combatants. From S2J defeating Westballz after two years of dominance, to Plup having a devastating performance over Hungrybox, the EVO world stage housed some of the finest play to date. The road to first place wasn't easy for Hungrybox, being placed into the loser's bracket by Plup in a convincing 2-0 during Winner's Semifinals. Hungrybox pitted his world renowned Jigglypuff skills against the likes of S2J, Mango, and getting his revenge against Plup, all before being able to reset the Grand Finals stage for another shot at the EVO trophy. However unlike last year's EVO performance, Hungrybox refused to lose his shot at glory and clutched out game 5 to reset the bracket on Alliance Armada. While the fight looked rough early on, Hungrybox was determined to prove his worth, taking Armada to game 5 once again and finally clenching his win. After a dominant performance this year, Hungrybox claiming the title of EVO champion is yet another hard earned victory that opens a new chapter in the ongoing story of Super Smash Bros. Melee's ever evolving competitive scene.

Frank "Hangman" DeJohn

Comments

Armada wasn't hungry enough.

Hungrybox didn't rest on the competition

Plup's performance was sharp

Mew2King's performance, was, overall, M2K

In comparison to WTFox 2, Mango was really on the MangloW

Puns?

Grand finals had me literally yelling with excitement. My throat is ****ing sore RN xD.

I was cheering for Hbox this whole EVO . This grand finals is now my favorite Smash set of all time.

As much as I hate Hbox Armada sets I gotta admit that was the most intense Melee set I've seen since G3

Can't believe how good he has become. Just a few years ago I wouldn't believed it if anyone said hungrybox was gonna win en EVO. I'm so sad for Armad though...

So happy for hbox! The grand finals had me and my gf cheering and eventually in tears of joy seeing hbox fight so hard, down to the last stock, to take the victory. What an exciting top 8!

S2j over westballz was amazing. M2k was entertaining as always. And grand finals had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Every hit landed, every punish, every recovery was so intense. Really a great grand finals

Can't believe how good he has become. Just a few years ago I wouldn't believed it if anyone said hungrybox was gonna win en EVO. I'm so sad for Armad though...
Did we get a fox winner Nope. Did we get Falco, Nope. Did we get a Marth main winner, HELL NO. Instead we get Jigglypuff a low tier character. Good for Hungrybox for taking this whole thing, but I'd feel bad for Armada too for losing to that.
PS, when Jigglypuff takes over the world.

Whoops, just looked at the tiers, I was so used to seeing Jiggs as crapola that I forgot she was a badass in melee. My bad but it's still nice to see a different character win for once.

XIIHangman XIIHangman You misspelled "Clutchbox" as "Hungrybox." ;) :grin: :laugh:

\\

Nah, but for real... those comebacks and that grand finals win was unbelievably clutch. Armada NEVER gives up those kind of comebacks, and he far from threw those games or played off.

He made maybe one tiny miscalculation (not even a mistake) the whole of Set 1 Game 5 when up 2 stocks at 0 to 1 stock at 80%.

CLUTCHBOX just took that EVO title away from him because he was that damn good in the clutch.

I've watched competitive Melee since what? 2004, 2005? That's at the very least one of the 3 best top 8's I've ever seen, and DEFINITELY the best set let alone GRAND FINALS SET I've ever seen.

It was so good I FLAT CRIED!!!

Fantastic stuff from all eight top 8 competitors. You guys made names for yourselves, and proved yet again why Melee Never Dies!!!!!

Last edited:
Did we get a fox winner Nope. Did we get Falco, Nope. Did we get a Marth main winner, HELL NO. Instead we get Jigglypuff a low tier character. Good for Hungrybox for taking this whole thing, but I'd feel bad for Armada too for losing to that.
PS, when Jigglypuff takes over the world.
How stupid are you tbh

Jeez man keep it together I know it's a big moment and all, but don't take it personally.
Bruh when a game gets so hype I am about to lose your mind from the joy of it being awesome, I flat cry tears of joy from the hype.

That's right, Melee hype brings me to tears lmaoooooooo.

Top Bottom