• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO 2016: Melee Top 8

"Where's the Melee?" In Vegas, Mandalay Bay to be specific, starting tomorrow, July 17.

Super Smash Bros. Melee, a multi-year veteran of the EVO tournament series, returned as a main event for 2016 to showcase the best the game's player-base has to offer. Thousands of competitors all across the world came to contend for the coveted championship title but from them, only 8 remain.

Winners Bracket:
Adam "A | Armada" Lindgren (:peachmelee::foxmelee:) vs Jason "FOX MVG | Mew2King" Zimmerman (:marthmelee::sheikmelee::foxmelee:)
Juan "TL | Hungrybox" Debiedma (:jigglypuffmelee:) vs Justin "PG | Plup" McGrath(:sheikmelee:)

Losers Bracket:
Kevin "CLG | PewPewU" Toy (:marthmelee:) vs Joseph "C9 | Mang0" Marquez (:marthmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee:)
Weston "G2 | Westballz" Dennis (:falcomelee:) vs Johnny "TS | S2J" Kim (:falconmelee:)

At 3:00 PM Pacific Time tomorrow, top 8 for Melee will commence at the Mandalay Bay Event Center. You can catch the livestream on EVO's official Twitch channel.

For more coverage on EVO 2016, stay tuned on Smashboards.

Last edited:

Comments

Duck made sooooo close to top 8 :(
At least Plup made in to represent the :samusmelee:.... kinda.

Anyway, Mew2King is going to take EVO this year, you heard here first....

Predictions:
1st: Armada, 2nd: Hungrybox - The Armada and Hungrybox record this year is 3-2 in Armada's favor from memory. This really could go either way, but Armada is probably going to take it.
3rd: Mango - Mango will, of course, bibbidy bop PPU and M2K easily, but assuming he beats Plup, he has to face Hungrybox. He can beat Hbox, but his record with him this year is 8-4 in Hungrybox's favor (I'm not too sure about this, though). I'd say that Hungrybox can take this one.
4th: Plup - This was the hardest call to make simply due to Plup and Mango's set at last EVO, with him beating Mango, so it's certainly possible. If Plup does take it, Mango gets 4th, Plup will get bopped by Hungrybox again for 3rd, and then we have an Hbox Armada grand finals.
5th: Mew2King - Unless M2K is really prepared, he's going to lose to Armada in winners and he'll get bopped by Mango in losers.
5th: Westballz - After beating S2J, he's going up against Plup if he lost to Hbox. The record for this while Plup mained Sheik is 2-1 in Plup's favor, counting just Samus sets it's 2-1 in Westballz's favor, and together that's a 3-3 record. I'd give it to Plup due to his Sheik record, but it could go either way.
7th: S2J - Westballz owned him the last 3 sets they played, so I don't think he's going to win.
7th: PewPewU - While I REALLY want him to beat Mango, he's probably going to get bibbidy bopped unless he's playing out of his mind.

IDK about this whole EVO thing, dude. kek

Predictions:
1st: Armada, 2nd: Hungrybox - The Armada and Hungrybox record this year is 3-2 in Armada's favor from memory. This really could go either way, but Armada is probably going to take it.
3rd: Mango - Mango will, of course, bibbidy bop PPU and M2K easily, but assuming he beats Plup, he has to face Hungrybox. He can beat Hbox, but his record with him this year is 8-4 in Hungrybox's favor (I'm not too sure about this, though). I'd say that Hungrybox can take this one.
4th: Plup - This was the hardest call to make simply due to Plup and Mango's set at last EVO, with him beating Mango, so it's certainly possible. If Plup does take it, Mango gets 4th, Plup will get bopped by Hungrybox again for 3rd, and then we have an Hbox Armada grand finals.
5th: Mew2King - Unless M2K is really prepared, he's going to lose to Armada in winners and he'll get bopped by Mango in losers.
5th: Westballz - After beating S2J, he's going up against Plup if he lost to Hbox. The record for this while Plup mained Sheik is 2-1 in Plup's favor, counting just Samus sets it's 2-1 in Westballz's favor, and together that's a 3-3 record. I'd give it to Plup due to his Sheik record, but it could go either way.
7th: S2J - Westballz owned him the last 3 sets they played, so I don't think he's going to win.
7th: PewPewU - While I REALLY want him to beat Mango, he's probably going to get bibbidy bopped unless he's playing out of his mind.

IDK about this whole EVO thing, dude. kek
1. m2k 2. m2k 3. m2k 4. m2k 5. m2k 5. m2k 7. m2k 7. m2k

Aaiaiai can't wait. Congrats to everyone in top 8 and best wishes. We all want to see some awesome sets. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing pewpewu and s2j.

GET HYPE

So another Hbox/Armada winners and grand finals. But will be rooting for Mew2King to take Armada.

Last edited:
I am not really a fan of Hungrybox. I watched the EVO stream with a friend who doesn’t play melee. Naturally I wanted him to get a good first impression of the speed and technicality of the game and when I saw Hbox was in the first match I rolled my eyes. But he absolutely earned that win, the games were so close and he managed to clutch out three long consecutive sets from losers bracket taking 1st. Like I say, not usually a fan of his playstyle, but he played his heart out, and by the end of the stream I was praying that Hbox would win. Good for him, it’s about time he won an EVO and he won it in style, I’m very happy for the guy.

Top Bottom