• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO 2016 Game Lineup Announced! MELEE & SMASH 4 CONFIRMED!

Smash has had the honor of being at the largest event for fighting games for several years now, with Smash 4 and Melee both being invited last year to EVO 2015. For Smash 4, it was their first time at the event and the supermajor that tried out customs for the first time. For Melee, another year of proving to the world that the money raised to gain entry into EVO 2013 was worth every penny as they wowed spectators with their storied history.

It was only just over a year ago that the roster for 2015 was announced and it rocked fighting games fans with two Smash titles and even an arcade game for the first time in years. This year the looming question remains: will two Smash titles be side by side at EVO? What other games will make the cut? The games chosen will be broadcast live tonight from the Redbull eSports Studio at 7PM PST (10 PM EST). Be sure to tune in OR stay tuned here as this article will update LIVE with the roster for all those who cannot watch!

---​

The moment has come: here is the lineup for EVO 2016!!!

Excited for another amazing EVO? Sound off in the comments below and stay tuned for future EVO Coverage!

Comments

Honestly surprised USF4 didn't get one last year. I havnt been following V all that much but is the meta really already developed to the point that it can put on as good a show as USF4 has in years past? I personally LOVE watching ultra, and the meta has still been developing at a rate that I think would've kept it exciting for audiences.. It will be missed.

I kind of wished Smash 4 was on Sunday but at least it's in.
Pokken Tournament though. That's going to be really exciting.

Okay Street Fighter that's pretty obvious. Hey sweet both Smash games are in! Guilty Gear and KI as well? This looking grea- wait hold on Pokken? I mean, the game looks fun and all but like... Pokken? The game hasn't even fully released yet we have no idea how good it is! :drflip:
The rest of the lineup is pretty solid but Pokken just seems like such an unnecessarily questionable decision.
They're willing to take risks. All it takes is the community to make this game a success at EVO. If people show up for the game then they'll look like a genius. If no one is going to care, well, there are still 8 other games.

They're willing to take risks. All it takes is the community to make this game a success at EVO. If people show up for the game then they'll look like a genius. If no one is going to care, well, there are still 8 other games.
I understand that, and I'm looking forward to Pokken actually, but there's a part of me who wants to see the people from games like Blazblue, King of Fighters, or Persona have another shot at the main stage, especially after some of the hype moments they brought. And there's the fact there might be some sort of horrible balance problem or the like. Either way Pokken will be interesting, which is really what they're going for with picking it anyway.

Hi there! i am a guilty gear player who attends evo and this will be my first smash tournament lol. i main peach and plan to make it out of pools at least. also please smash players, remember that although many of you argue among yourselves with melee vs smash4 stuff be just happy that both are there and both communities are able to attend. because no one else has it that way. sf4 has a huge community and support and playerbase but there about to be booted to the curb for 5 lol. theres many many haters and i think smash now more then ever needs to come to evo and show the FGC whats up, and that smash is here to stay because theres many people that want either 1 or both of these games gone from evo for there preferred game.

pokken hype!! :094:

also please smash players, remember that although many of you argue among yourselves with melee vs smash4 stuff be just happy that both are there and both communities are able to attend. because no one else has it that way. sf4 has a huge community and support and playerbase but there about to be booted to the curb for 5 lol.
That's a bad comparison. Melee and Smash 4 are so different that they are practically two different franchises. Street Fighter 4 and 5 are incredibly similar and most of the player base is moving on to SFV. It's not as big of a deal.

Last edited:
Okay Street Fighter that's pretty obvious. Hey sweet both Smash games are in! Guilty Gear and KI as well? This looking grea- wait hold on Pokken? I mean, the game looks fun and all but like... Pokken? The game hasn't even fully released yet we have no idea how good it is! :drflip:
The rest of the lineup is pretty solid but Pokken just seems like such an unnecessarily questionable decision.
This is coming from the same tournament that allowed items in a smash tournament, and customs at last year's tournament. EVO is known for making very crazy decisions.

@TSM ZeRo Didn't you say last year that you were going to pick up Pokken if it was confirmed for EVO or was that another top player? People were probably wondering so I just thought I'd ask to verify.

Jesus what?! Revelator is gonna be at Evo? That ****'s dropping JUNE 6TH in america. Who in their right mind is gonna have time to actually practice the new mechanics lol

D
Pokkén, let's go!
Not terribly into the game as a whole, but it got a rocky start and it's an interesting fighter. Hopefully this exposure will be good. (Unless Pokémon Company throws a temper tantrum and tries to get it removed.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The only one I feel "meh" about is Guilty Gear X, but that's only because I don't know much about that game.

Everything else looks really hype and awesome (although I'll miss Ultra Street Fighter IV)

They're dropping both Melee and Smash 4 in favor of PM. Trust me my dad works at Redbull.
I don't think that they would ever drop Melee and Smash4 is almost as competitive/relevant as Melee so if OM were to be added, they wouldn't drop the other Smash titles

I'm not a big fan of melee, but I think it has earned it's place at Evo. It brings both viewers and hype...just not much of mine. Tis why I vote for both.

That said I hope this year's EVO is more diverse. I'd love to see Marvel 2 return for a year and I think Tekken was the only 3D fighter last year. I WANT to see SCV or Virtua Fighter or DoA. The latter probably has the best chance of appearing along side Tekken, but I'd hope they limit the costume choice.
i dont like your " I think it has earned it's place at Evo" at all.
melee is the historical reason why we can even talk of any other nintendo game at EVO.its community fight for that against other fighting games community and against nintendo himself.
Smash4, Brawl COULD be the game that make someone say " I think it has earned it's place at Evo" not melee, melee's presence is obvious.

back to the topic, i miss Persona. and when do we start a pokkenboards :p

Last edited:
Hey, I do enjoy this lineup, but I want to ask you all something.
Even though we're playing Smash, would we really want other games like Persona and USF4 out of this? There are so many players from those games out of EVO now and I'm just asking, is there a way for our community to help them out?

We could always band together to help the other communities and get their games on the list, too.

It's great to see that both Smash 4 and Melee made their way onto the EVO roster and I'm really happy for both sides of the community. Previously, I had heard all sorts of rumors (?) that each franchise was only going to have one game at EVO. This really worried me (assuming this was true) because I knew a Smash game was almost a shoo in, but the question was which one. Lots of people would get mad (and many would also get vocal) no matter which game was picked because Melee and Smash 4 are two totally different games. There's no possible way to please everyone. Thankfully, if this rumor was true, they decided to make an exception for Melee and Smash 4. It's so great to see how much more recognition we're getting as a community. Nice job, everyone!

RIP Ultra SFIV, RIP Blazblue (Seriously, if Central Fiction released earlier it would've gotten in with Revelator.)

Speaking of which, Xrd Revelator. Yes. This is awesome and Arc Sys went out of their way to get Revelator released in time for EVO so it's nice to see they got some respect.

Btw, Pokken. I'm not sure if I'm laughing because I'm happy for it or because no one even expected it and Nintendo snagging a third of EVO's lineup.

Still hoping to see Central Fiction next year, but this is a good lineup for 2016.

while I'm glad Smash 4 and Melee made it again this year, my attention is more focused on Pokken Tournament, which has something in common with Smash 4 last year in that by the time this comes around it'll likely still be a mostly unexplored game.

Will EVO get dominated by the easiest to use fighters on that game's roster, or will there be a fair amount of diversity?

Both Smash games and Pokken are in, huh? That means Pikachu and Mewtwo are tied for having the most playable appearances in this EVO! We have Pikachu in Melee, Sm4sh and Pokken along with his Libre form. We also have Mewtwo in those games along with his Shadow form in Pokken.

i dont like your " I think it has earned it's place at Evo" at all.
melee is the historical reason why we can even talk of any other nintendo game at EVO.its community fight for that against other fighting games community and against nintendo himself.
Smash4, Brawl COULD be the game that make someone say " I think it has earned it's place at Evo" not melee, melee's presence is obvious.

back to the topic, i miss Persona. and when do we start a pokkenboards :p
Well if someone want to say that about Brawl, then they can say that about brawl. They're free to have an opinion. I'm saying that about Melee because it what I believe.

The only one I feel "meh" about is Guilty Gear X, but that's only because I don't know much about that game.

Everything else looks really hype and awesome (although I'll miss Ultra Street Fighter IV)
Guilty Gear is an amazing fighting game. You should definitely try it out. The universal mechanics are excellent, the new FRC changes made the game so much better... it really is a ton of fun and an extremely deep fighter. It's not hard to jump into because combo progression is typically (not strictly though) punch -> kick -> slash -> heavyslash -> dust. It makes it easier to learn basic combos. Also it has lessons modes, challenge modes, etc. Lots of ways to learn basic mechanics or practice specific scenarios. It's very fast paced and exciting to both play and to watch.

Last edited:
Both Smash games and Pokken are in, huh? That means Pikachu and Mewtwo are tied for having the most playable appearances in this EVO! We have Pikachu in Melee, Sm4sh and Pokken along with his Libre form. We also have Mewtwo in those games along with his Shadow form in Pokken.
You know this is the same as saying we only have Mewtwo in one of those, because no one really use him in big events in Smash, right?
Heck, I bet we will see more Charizard than Mewtwo in both 4 and Pokkén.... and the exact same amount in Melee: 0.

Last edited:
You know this is the same as saying we only have Mewtwo in one of those, because no one really use him in big events in Smash, right?
Heck, I bet we will see more Charizard than Mewtwo in both 4 and Pokkén.... and the exact same amount in Melee: 0.
Mewtwo may see some use in 4 thanks to the buffs, but yeah I doubt we will see any Melee play with him either.

Mewtwo is automatically gonna get more use in Pokken than Charizard will, because there are two Mewtwos. And he has more or less the same amount of representatives in Smash 4 as Charizard, but both characters are non-viable so those numbers don't really matter.

Mewtwo is barely a character in either Smash 4 or Melee, so this stat is kinda pointless. The dumb yellow rat has the most playable appearances as far as anyone is concerned.

Top Bottom