• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO 2016 Game Lineup Announced! MELEE & SMASH 4 CONFIRMED!

Smash has had the honor of being at the largest event for fighting games for several years now, with Smash 4 and Melee both being invited last year to EVO 2015. For Smash 4, it was their first time at the event and the supermajor that tried out customs for the first time. For Melee, another year of proving to the world that the money raised to gain entry into EVO 2013 was worth every penny as they wowed spectators with their storied history.

It was only just over a year ago that the roster for 2015 was announced and it rocked fighting games fans with two Smash titles and even an arcade game for the first time in years. This year the looming question remains: will two Smash titles be side by side at EVO? What other games will make the cut? The games chosen will be broadcast live tonight from the Redbull eSports Studio at 7PM PST (10 PM EST). Be sure to tune in OR stay tuned here as this article will update LIVE with the roster for all those who cannot watch!

---​

The moment has come: here is the lineup for EVO 2016!!!

Excited for another amazing EVO? Sound off in the comments below and stay tuned for future EVO Coverage!

Comments

EVO 2015 was my 1st major and I've got to play/meet against a lot of strong players. GimR, Mr. R, ZeRo, Chudat, Regi...it was a blast of fun and I'll be more than happy to return to EVO 2016 to compete again.-Vader

I'm really curious to know why someone from a Smash forum would want none of the Smash titles at EVO, even if he/she did it to look cool the votes are anonymous so...?

Melee and Sm4sh are definitely gonna be in the line-up, no duh, no brainer, no questions asked. That's all I gotta say before the reveal starts.

Last edited:
Melee will for sure be in the lineup but I'm not quite sure with Sm4sh. The game is still fairly new and there are many players who have not yet been discovered.

I'm not a big fan of melee, but I think it has earned it's place at Evo. It brings both viewers and hype...just not much of mine. Tis why I vote for both.

That said I hope this year's EVO is more diverse. I'd love to see Marvel 2 return for a year and I think Tekken was the only 3D fighter last year. I WANT to see SCV or Virtua Fighter or DoA. The latter probably has the best chance of appearing along side Tekken, but I'd hope they limit the costume choice.

Last edited:
Hopefully both make it although if one doesn't, getting wise words from Esam.
Why is ESAM so good at being the voice of the nice part of the community? Its like he can predict how people will act and already knows how smart people should act

EDIT: P O K K E N B O Y Z

Last edited:
SFV, UMVC3, Melee, MKX, Tekken 7 are the ones I think are guaranteed. Smash 4 and the other fighting games will have to hold their breath and wait. I hope both games make it just so a war between butthurt Smash 4 fans and gloating, pompous Melee fans doesn't occur.

Though I'm still holding my breath to even see if Melee makes it, because nothing is guaranteed for anyone except the Street Fighter players.

Last edited:
I doubt they would drop what was the second most entered game of last year and was the most watched game on Saturday.

Or the game that had the third most entrances and was the second most watched at Evo on Sunday.

That screams like a bad business to drop either or.

thinking about it, Melee has a VERY high chance due to it turning 15 this year........ but both games have good shots regardless.

the only game at risk here is Killer Instinct.

Honestly, if only one make it, I believe it will be Smash 4 because Nintendo....
But here I am, hoping both will come back to dominate EVO again.

Edit: Never mind. This advanced Wizard trolling, I cannot handle it. I'm perfectly happy with this set line up.

Last edited:
Okay Street Fighter that's pretty obvious. Hey sweet both Smash games are in! Guilty Gear and KI as well? This looking grea- wait hold on Pokken? I mean, the game looks fun and all but like... Pokken? The game hasn't even fully released yet we have no idea how good it is! :drflip:
The rest of the lineup is pretty solid but Pokken just seems like such an unnecessarily questionable decision.

Pokken Tournament, eh? I know I'll be watching that one. Hopefully there'll be some high level players to represent the new characters. Chandelure HYPE!!

Did not expect Pokken whatsoever so it will be interesting to see this unfold at EVO. I miss BlazBlue though. Chrono Phantasma Extend is still a thing and it came out last year, yet they put Revelator, a game that comes out in June of this year.

I love Guilty Gear don't get me wrong, it's just that BlazBlue gets no love at all, despite having the best EVO Finals of 2014.

Seeing both Smash games return was all but a no-brainer, but Pokkén!? If that game is competitively viable, it's going to take off after EVO and the Pokémon World Championship in August.

Can they reveal Absol now?

Seeing both Smash games return was all but a no-brainer, but Pokkén!? If that game is competitively viable, it's going to take off after EVO and the Pokémon World Championship in August.

Can they reveal Absol now?
We saw tournament play of it last year, and it's really just Tekken but with pokemon. So yeah, certainly competitively viable.

Top Bottom