• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Everything about Egg Roll (Side B)

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Let's talk about one of the worst moves in the game: Egg Roll!

(not that kind of egg roll)

Notes:
  • Egg Roll does NOT put you into helpless state in this game, so misinputs are slightly less unforgiving
  • When you start Egg Roll, it doesn't do any damage until you reach the ground
  • Once you're rolling, you can turn left or right all you want until you break out
  • Egg Roll lasts roughly 3 seconds (~3.5 or 210 frames), at which point you break out automatically
  • You also break out of Egg Roll automatically when you run into a wall (must be facing wall when this happens, but it still works when you just start the Egg Roll)
  • You can break out of Egg Roll early by pressing the Special button
  • From start to finish, you can jump while doing Egg Roll only ONCE. However, even if you burn your double jump, you can still jump with Egg Roll.
  • Even if you start Egg Roll pointing in one direction, you can go the other way if you input it once you reach the ground (e.g. if you press Left + B, then hold Right until you reach the ground). You don't have to hold the other direction, but it'll be a lot easier if you do
  • You can still drift left/right in the air during Egg Roll, but not by much
  • You can get a bit more height if you jump cancel Egg Roll (i.e. activate Egg Roll while in the jumpsquat animation). This makes you stay in the air for 1 more frame than usual.
Techniques:
I made a video on these, but personally I think having GIFs with explanations works better.

Please tell me what the actual names for these are; I don't want to accidentally spread unused terms. Also, my names will probably be worse than anything you guys came up with.

Unnamed #1 (I'd call this "Insta-Egg" or something)

Egg Roll makes you go up a little bit when you start it up, so if you do it while under a platform, you can start Egg Roll right away. Be careful when doing this however; I've had my fair share of SD's when trying to do this under Smashville's platform offstage :(

Egg Shot

After using Side B, don't press any direction. This will make you spin in place on the edge of a platform. From here, you can do several things.
  • Press forward, which will make you shoot out like in the first GIF
  • Press jump, which will make you shoot out upwards like in the second GIF
  • Press B, which will make you break out of the egg (note that this is totally punishable)
  • Turn around
Note that there's no hitbox while you do this. It'd be pretty cool if there was, though (and it'd also be cool if Egg Roll didn't have any endlag, but we can't always have nice things).

Egg Hyperjump

This technique is pretty great. Do it once in a match, and you throw off the opponent so much that they'll SD twice, giving you an automatic win.

Just kidding, the only time I've used this in a tournament, my opponent recovered from the shock pretty quickly because of how much endlag it had. #buffeggrollpls

This technique has a few requirements, but once you get past those it seems pretty flexible.
  1. You have to bounce
  2. The bounce CANNOT be the one from the start of Egg Roll
The easiest way to do this is to do it like in the GIF.
  • Start from the leftmost Battlefield platform
  • Eggshot to the middle
  • While in the air, hold jump (don't let go of jump until you do the hyperjump!)
Once you got it down, you can try getting to the topmost platform. After that, you can try doing it without Egg Shot:

Egg Glide

If you jump while in Egg Roll, then break out of the egg while doing that, you'll glide a considerable distance. Just start Egg Roll, jump, then press the Special Button while in the air. As usual, there's too much lag to do anything cool with it, but it you can consider it as an option when you need to break out of Egg Roll.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
When I hit my friend with it, I claim to them if they're craving for Chinese food.

Some points missing:

"You also break out of Egg Roll automatically when you bump into a wall" - You can only break out of Egg Roll when you're facing towards said terrain / wall. Egg Roll cannot be broken with the intention of hitting a terrain / wall if you're facing away drifting towards it. You'll have to manually break free instead.

- Believe it or not, Egg Roll can get more vertical height if you cancel a jumpsquat into Egg Roll. The proof is that a standard Egg Roll lands on the floor on frame 31, whereas a jump-canceled Egg Roll lands on the floor on frame 32. You can also tell this because a regular Egg Roll will land & start rolling, but a jump-canceled Egg Roll will land & bounce once. Funny how one frame makes all the difference. .

"Egg Roll lasts about 3 seconds, at which point you break out automatically" - This is fairly close. Using some stopwatching times, I get around ~3.5 seconds which is basically 210 frames of being in an egg before Yoshi appears breaking out.It's not exact, but it's a bit closer.

"You can break out of Egg Roll early by pressing the Special button" - This isn't a missing point, but I wanted to express how much I wished it was early T_T. Frame 56 being the fastest frame you can start to break out of egg & then acting on frame 95 with a quick frame perfect timing is depressing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom