• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Everyone seems to have missed the most important buff of 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I really dont understand how game designers that are so inteligent in making all the mathematics, physics, design, and all programming in the game for some reason turn on a "********" button in their brain in relation to interface and quality of life options for the players. This and many other features should be there since day 1. Good change, but the game still has many flaws in this departure, almost all of them on the online mode, almost all of them seems to be easy fixes with no reason to be the way it is.

Last edited:

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
Wait what now? I've played online as soon as the server were back up, for like 3hrs and didn't even notice =')

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
This one immediately backfired on me it seems. My first game online counted down and instantly dropped the connection. Just sat there and waited and eventually got timed out and then a timed ban from online play. Weird thing is that i had internet connection the entire time, since i had a stream playing on my dual monitor. Albeit on wifi while my switch is ethernet.

Hopefully this isn't a "thing" now, since the DC punishments escalate pretty quickly.

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
This one immediately backfired on me it seems. My first game online counted down and instantly dropped the connection. Just sat there and waited and eventually got timed out and then a timed ban from online play. Weird thing is that i had internet connection the entire time, since i had a stream playing on my dual monitor. Albeit on wifi while my switch is ethernet.

Hopefully this isn't a "thing" now, since the DC punishments escalate pretty quickly.
As far as I've experienced, you need quite a few warning messages to get an online ban.
I'm SDing or disconnecting every time the match is too laggy to be enjoyable (don't blame me, blame those people playing on WiFi =') ) so I've got a few of them since release, but never got a ban.

Fun thing, I got a warning after being disconnected due to server maintenance :laugh:

That being said, I've notice more communication error yesterday compared to before. I don't know if it's due to a change they made or not but I had like 4 or 5 times this message. Always happened when trying to start a match though so no penalties but it's definitely weird. I know it's not coming from my end, I am still using a LAN adapter and my connection doesn't suffer from any instability or disconnection.

Last edited:

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
As far as I've experienced, you need quite a few warning messages to get an online ban.
I'm SDing or disconnecting every time the match is too laggy to be enjoyable (don't blame me, blame those people playing on WiFi =') ) so I've got a few of them since release, but never got a ban.

Fun thing, I got a warning after being disconnected due to server maintenance :laugh:

That being said, I've notice more communication error yesterday compared to before. I don't know if it's due to a change they made or not but I had like 4 or 5 times this message. Always happened when trying to start a match though so no penalties but it's definitely weird. I know it's not coming from my end, I am still using a LAN adapter and my connection doesn't suffer from any instability or disconnection.
Yeah, this is not my first DC, it just wasn't under my control and I hadn't even played a game yet today, or for 2 days for that matter. The counter must not reset. Most of my DCs come from me having my switch docked right on my desk. Playing on one of those BENQ monitors. Anyway, if I "happen" to give the desk a fist of frustration, it'll bump my switch just slightly and knock the connection. I've probably DCed like 7 or 8 times total since the game came out. Not a ton but also not zero.

I've also pulled the plug to get out of certain matches that were just utterly unplayable, like 1/8th real speed. Guess it all adds up.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I really dont understand how game designers that are so inteligent in making all the mathematics, physics, design, and all programming in the game for some reason turn on a "********" button in their brain in relation to interface and quality of life options for the players. This and many other features should be there since day 1. Good change, but the game still has many flaws in this departure, almost all of them on the online mode, almost all of them seems to be easy fixes with no reason to be the way it is.
1474282134388.jpg

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Not entire games, only small personal projects, but I worked as a programmer of systems for some years and I know how to do a good interface for the customers. Or at least, how to not do a bad one.
Usually, if many people get annoyed by the interface, it already has a problem. Since that's a big problem with Smash online interface, it's easy to assume it's not as good as it should be. You don't need to be a programmer to know if a interface is bad, you need to be a customer.

Last edited:

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
As a matter of fact, yes.

Iteration is the name of the game when it comes to game development. You don't just make something that "works" on the first try and ship it. You prototype something, get feedback, integrate that feedback into a new revision or even a whole new prototype, and repeat until you get something you're happy with. No designer should be happy with how the menus in this game turned out. They feel like they were made by an artist who only knows how to make something aesthetically pleasing, but not necessarily usable. A lot of the flaws present in the menu system shouldn't have even made it into a second revision, much less the gold print.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
As a matter of fact, yes.

Iteration is the name of the game when it comes to game development. You don't just make something that "works" on the first try and ship it. You prototype something, get feedback, integrate that feedback into a new revision or even a whole new prototype, and repeat until you get something you're happy with. No designer should be happy with how the menus in this game turned out. They feel like they were made by an artist who only knows how to make something aesthetically pleasing, but not necessarily usable. A lot of the flaws present in the menu system shouldn't have even made it into a second revision, much less the gold print.
Okay. But we aren’t talking about online? Half of lucasla’s posts since release are about how terrible the online system is, and that’s what I’m commenting on. I’m not in love with the menus either, but I don’t think it’s relevant to the conversation.

I think the online is fine, for the most part. I think they botched quickplay a bit in not being transparent enough as to exactly how GSP works, but background matchmaking and arenas work fine. I have some slight suggestions with Arenas (would love to be able to transfer ownership of an arena so I don’t have to shut it down when I leave) but it has mostly been a positive experience so far.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Okay. But we aren’t talking about online? Half of lucasla’s posts since release are about how terrible the online system is, and that’s what I’m commenting on. I’m not in love with the menus either, but I don’t think it’s relevant to the conversation.

I think the online is fine, for the most part. I think they botched quickplay a bit in not being transparent enough as to exactly how GSP works, but background matchmaking and arenas work fine. I have some slight suggestions with Arenas (would love to be able to transfer ownership of an arena so I don’t have to shut it down when I leave) but it has mostly been a positive experience so far.
Most of the issues with online are arena issues, which are basically menu issues. Like not being able to change your character/stage/song/whatever without leaving the line in arena. Or not having an option to invite players on your friend list to an arena. Or not being able to change the rules once a room is made. Or the owner not being able to leave without disbanding the room, even if two players were in the middle of a battle. All of these problems come back to the menu.

Quickplay's main issues, with the exception of the opaqueness of GSP, have mostly been resolved at this point. You now get matched based on your requested settings, and you no longer have to wait an extraneous 30 seconds after finding a match. It appears they designed quickplay around 4 player smash, and no one thought about what would happen to the players looking for 1v1s until after the game shipped. There's still the issues with the rematch button too, but it at least works in a reasonable manner.

Last edited:

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
What happened to Arena mode?
Arena room freeze amd shutdown 20 times per day.... We need some fixing....

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
What happened to Arena mode?
Arena room freeze amd shutdown 20 times per day.... We need some fixing....
I don't know if it's just to Arena Mode...I've noticed a lot of "communication error" since the patch 2.0.0 in Quickplay.
It's only when I don't rematch and go back to the character selection menu so it doesn't really affect me but it's something I barely ever had before the patch.

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if it's just to Arena Mode...I've noticed a lot of "communication error" since the patch 2.0.0 in Quickplay.
It's only when I don't rematch and go back to the character selection menu so it doesn't really affect me but it's something I barely ever had before the patch.
Did you fix? Any solutions?

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
Did you fix? Any solutions?
Nope, as I said, it doesn't affect me since it's only when I don't rematch. So it doesn't actually disconnect me when I'm playing against someone.
But I don't see what could be done to fix it honestly, I have a wired connection, my MTU settings is set to the most optimized value, my NAT is of type A, my connection is pretty fast and I never had any instability with my connection whatsoever.

So yeah, not much I can do on my end :urg:

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
Nope, as I said, it doesn't affect me since it's only when I don't rematch. So it doesn't actually disconnect me when I'm playing against someone.
But I don't see what could be done to fix it honestly, I have a wired connection, my MTU settings is set to the most optimized value, my NAT is of type A, my connection is pretty fast and I never had any instability with my connection whatsoever.

So yeah, not much I can do on my end :urg:
Arena room freeze and shutdown 20 time a day!! And I need solution...... Okay, if you get some info can you let me know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom