• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Everyone is Here... except Oot Zelda and TP Link!

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

Counting Young Link as Oot Link and Sheik as TP Zelda (Sakurai saying BotW Zelda wasn't interested in fighting as she was with studying, was it?), that leaves us with TP Link and Ganon and OoT Zelda as separate Zelda characters once playable in Smash but not amongst Ultimate's cast.

Do you think this in matters? Are there similar cases for other franchises? Let me know in the comments below!
EDIT: Oops, OoT Ganon IS TP Ganon. That just leaves Zelda and Link.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Isn't it the same Ganondorf throughout all the games? His design changes, but it's the same person if I'm not mistaken. Also, despite Sheik using a design that was intended for TP, I wouldn't say that she counts as TP Zelda given it isn't canon. Even Sheik's Ultimate design is completely original seeing as it uses armor from BotW.

I don't think it matters much though, it'd be nice to have them as costumes for the players that prefer the old designs, but as far as representing the different persons it's not something that carries significant weight imo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Isn't it the same Ganondorf throughout all the games? His design changes, but it's the same person if I'm not mistaken. Also, despite Sheik using a design that was intended for TP, I wouldn't say that she counts as TP Zelda given it isn't canon. Even Sheik's Ultimate design is completely original seeing as it uses armor from BotW.

I don't think it matters much though, it'd be nice to have them as costumes for the players that prefer the old designs, but as far as representing the different persons it's not something that carries significant weight imo.
Yea TP Ganon is OoT Ganon after a sizeable amount of time hence his grandpa looking ass

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Alt costumes, pleaaaaaaase.
Also project ganondorf would be my biggest dream

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
https://zelda.gamepedia.com/Ganon
"The original Ganondorf from Ocarina of Time appears in the rest of the games, making him stand out from other villains as the same character from game-to-game. "
Ah, oops.

Again, it's either
Zelda IS Sheik tho? And canonical or not, that's still TP Sheik?
Seeing as Sakurai said BotW Zelda wasn't as much into fighting and there's been no mention of there being a "BotW Sheik", we can assume it's the TP Sheik despite the newer clothes.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Zelda IS Sheik tho? And canonical or not, that's still TP Sheik?
Seeing as Sakurai said BotW Zelda wasn't as much into fighting and there's been no mention of there being a "BotW Sheik", we can assume it's the TP Sheik despite the newer clothes.
TP Sheik doesn't actually exist though as she doesn't even appear in the game, her design in Brawl was just based on scrapped concept art, and with her getting a redesign in Ultimate the connection to TP is practically completely gone at this point.

Last edited:

Bladebreaker

Smash Cadet
I feel it's the nature of them being legacy characters in their own games. They're aalways treated as the same character even if they are all distinct persons.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I really don't think it matters much, but the option to play as skins from other games would have been nice, like Hyrule Warriors style or something. Sakurai never really seemed to want to go all out when it came to skins, which is why the skins almost always seem to be the biggest draw of Smash Bros. Mods outside of just trying to make it more like Melee.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Personally, I just wish OoT and TP Link were their own character separate from BotW Link called "Classic Link", where they would have the old moveset with the old bombs and hookshot. Ultimate ruined Link with those BotW changes.

Doc Mario

Smash Cadet
Personally, I just wish OoT and TP Link were their own character separate from BotW Link called "Classic Link", where they would have the old moveset with the old bombs and hookshot. Ultimate ruined Link with those BotW changes.
I agree 100% being forced to take this new Link saddens me as the only way to have a classic Link is to play one of the kid Links. They should have just made Breathe of the Wild Link an echo or something.

Also, I miss TP Zelda too, I count Sheik as OoT Zelda.

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it matters that much, though I do fully believe that they'll have dlc costumes at some point for some characters (which I'll gladly buy a few of).

Khao

Smash Lord
Gotta admit that I was a bit dissapointed that OoT or TP Link wasn't an alt. I fully support the decision of making BotW Link the default Link for this game, but I just can't like the Tunic of the Wild. It looks less like Link's traditional look and more like a cheap cosplay that's not even meant for his size. If they kept TP Link as an alt we'd have a better "traditional" look for people who're not a fan of the new Link, AND they would've even be able to reuse the model from Wii U.

But knowing Sakurai, he probably felt it was too weird for TP to be using bomb runes and a regular boomerang, so that would've been unacceptable.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I do believe that DLC alternate skins are possible. I'm hoping for DLC of TP Zelda alt, since I don't particularly enjoy TP Link or D O R F.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
In all honesty, the Twilight Princess characters overstayed their welcome. Especially Zelda who had zero personality and acted like she didn't want to be in smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

BotW link is hotter and Zelda actually has somewhat of a personality. Only thing I'm missing is Daddydorf

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
But that's literally wrong.
I said "I consider." If I wanted someone to butt in, I would have asked.

Obviously all of the Ganondorfs are the same person, but obviously there's a difference between the youthful OOT one and the creepy old TP one. After that, all of the versions of Links and Zeldas are different people.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
In all honesty, the Twilight Princess characters overstayed their welcome. Especially Zelda who had zero personality and acted like she didn't want to be in smash.
To be fair, TP designs were extremely appealing and came at a time when people were starving for a darker and mature Zelda that would follow into the footsteps of Ocarina of Time after the cartoony Wind Waker was released, so I can see why they would last this long.

With that said, I don't mind the changes in Ultimate. TP Ganon looked fine in TP and Brawl but his design didn't mesh well in Smash 4.

Last edited:

chaostails7

Smash Cadet
Yeah, we definitely need more Links in this game that currently has 3 versions of Link. How else are we going to make a chain Link fence, or make jokes about "The Weakest Link"?

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I would definitely love if they did alt costumes of other versions of Link, Zelda and Ganondorf like they did in Hyrule Warriors, be it through free or paid DLC.

I know that some people groan at the idea of multiple Links, but he is the only Nintendo protagonist who warrants such representation. Unlike Mario, Kirby or Samus, Link is almost never the same individual in each game, and the ones in Smash show us different phases during the LoZ series' history.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
she's probably thinking about her kingdom

Zelda be like all my people are dead

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Oot Zelda is Sheik and TP Link is an alternate costume. Only one we're missing is TP Zelda but I don't care for her.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
The one in between Tunic of the Wild and White. Is that not TP Link?

Last edited:

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
I said "I consider." If I wanted someone to butt in, I would have asked.

Obviously all of the Ganondorfs are the same person, but obviously there's a difference between the youthful OOT one and the creepy old TP one. After that, all of the versions of Links and Zeldas are different people.
Cringe and bluepilled.

I'm more than satisfied with the number of Zelda games (5*) represented in Ultimate:
ALttP: :ultzelda:
OoT: :ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultsheik:
MM: :ultyounglink:*
WW: :ulttoonlink:
BotW: :ultlink:

TP has been the most represented Zelda game in Smash** before Ultimate, so a bit of change is not a bad thing imo. They could have kept at least one TP rep tho, TP Ganondorf would be my personal pick since he actually fights Link in a swordfight compare to OoT Ganondorf who is more of a magic user. I think it's bit dumb that the 1st smash game in which Ganondorf get to use a sword, we're getting a version of Ganondorf that doesn't use a sword... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sakurai saying BotW Zelda wasn't interested in fighting as she was with studying, was it?
I think it was meant as some kind of joke/nod probably to dodge the question. I mean Zelda hardly fights in any of the games (except TP and she's under Ganon's mind control) so all her moveset basically comes from nowhere. But since there's more 'mystery' surrounding what Zelda can really do in previous games (pre BotW) it's easier to stick any moveset on OoT, TP or LttP Zelda imo.

All i wanted to say really is, screw TP Ganondorf, we need a Demise alt, not a recolor, a real alt (if you feel like that's not related to what i was saying before, guess what, you're right :p).
#DemiseForSmash

* Arguably MM since YLink have elements from both OoT and MM.
** Along with OoT if you count Zelda and Sheik as 2 characters.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I'm more than satisfied with the number of Zelda games (5*) represented in Ultimate:
ALttP: :ultzelda:
OoT: :ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultsheik:
MM::ultyounglink:*
WW: :ulttoonlink:
BotW: :ultlink:
Actually, from what we've seen with Zelda characters in Palutena's Guidance, all getting new ones except for Toon Link, they seem to bring up the different incarnations/forms of the Zelda characters when talking about them.

https://www.ssbwiki.com/Palutena's_Guidance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VYMCAXG514

But with Sheik, they refer to him as if he's the same guy this time around, unlike someone like Link:

Pit: It's Sheik!
Palutena: Sheik appears to be wearing a traditional Sheikah outfit this time around.
Viridi: Ooh! So exotic! That armor is right up my alley. I wonder if it comes in a children's small...
Pit: I always get nervous when Sheik gets close. If I make one wrong move, I'll get pummeled with a flurry of quick attacks!
Palutena: His attacks may be fast, but they aren't very strong. That's why he'll try to end the fight quickly. He's also very light, so focus on launching Sheik at lower damage percentages.
Viridi: And he doesn't have much reach, so keep your distance until you're ready to rush him with your Upperdash Arm.
Pit: Good advice! But... you guys do know Sheik is just Zelda, right? In disguise? Wait, is there a new timeline?!

This is despite the more masculine attributes he's given in Ultimate. Because Smash 4's Sheik was pretty much still the TP Zelda from Brawl without the ability to switch between the two in match, it looks like Sheik's technically the TP Zelda here.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
I think Sakurai thought that because their names are still Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf, that they're still "here", even though they're not the same incarnations. Except maybe Ganondorf. Either way, I'm not sure why this matters.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Yeah, we definitely need more Links in this game that currently has 3 versions of Link. How else are we going to make a chain Link fence, or make jokes about "The Weakest Link"?
Classic Link could just be an Echo. And considering they can easily recycle the Smash 4 animations and model, that's even less work for them than most Echoes.

I'd argue no.
It aint MM.
It's an OoT blend at most.
Yeah... some people would argue the opposite because he wields the bow and the hookshot (which is not the hookshot from MM...). There's also the shaky argument that he's associated with the Great Bay stage since melee (and now the Termina Field remix in his showcase video) but it may be more of a nod to YLink being the main character in MM than anything.

i.e. i won't die on this hill
Now HW YLink? That's MM.
Absolutely and this reminds me, it would have been great to have at least an alt for YLink with a different gear (an undisputable MM alt with the hero shield and the razor sword) or there's the more ambitious/pipedream option of making his whole moveset based on masks.
Smash 4's Sheik was pretty much still the TP Zelda from Brawl without the ability to switch between the two in match, it looks like Sheik's technically the TP Zelda here.
I think i understand your reasoning:
Brawl: TP Zelda and Sheik were 2 characters in one: Sheik was TP Zelda.
Smash4: TP Zelda and Sheik were separated but still the same characters they were in Brawl: Sheik was TP Zelda.
Ultimate: Sheik is still the same character: Sheik is TP Zelda.

Tbh i think it's a bit of stretch considering that Smash 'canon' is not consistent with anything and is not to be taken as LoZ canon (which is already quite a mess imo). For example TP Zelda never actually transforms into Sheik in the LoZ source material (the only instance where this happens is in Brawl). Sheik only exists in OoT and as far as we know, only OoT Zelda is able to transform into Sheik.

Smash Zelda has her own abilities, her own moves (different from any LoZ timeline). I think Pit's confusion about the whole timeline thing is representative of what it actually is: a mess.
Pit: ''Good advice! But... you guys do know Sheik is just Zelda, right? In disguise? Wait, is there a new timeline?!'' (a.k.a The Smash Timeline :p)

Top Bottom