• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Every Yoshi must learn how to egg stall. Period.

Kudrah

Smash Cadet
EDIT: This guide needs some updating. The time that passed after I wrote this, I learned much more of the character than I did back then. I want to ease the learning curve of this technique by adding visual aid (once I get screen capture equipment) and re-writing some content that I'd consider to be wrong. This guide is still pretty solid, but not it might have some claims that I would not agree with nowadays. Enjoy, nonetheless.

Hello, Kudrah here.

I haven't been involved in the competitive scene for very long (first tourney was last May), but I always had the edge of forcing my opponent into a situation they're not very familiar with. Yoshi does this very well because of unique he is. Never have I played a character so different in all my years of Smash, even to the N64 days. Honestly, if you played Yoshi to the highest caliber (in other words, aMSa style, as I like to call it), he's argably almost as technical as a spacie. For instance, a DJC turnaround nair (jump, turnaround jump, A, fastfall, L-cancel), and techniques like this are what gives Yoshi that edge of trickery that he needs to stand his ground against better characters.

Okay, I've rambled long enough, so here it is: egg stalling. The more "official" term would be Egg-Ledge Canceling, but I just call it the egg stall. For those who don't know, if Yoshi uses his up-B near a ledge, even if his back's turned, the move will be canceled to a ledge grab, and the egg will still be thrown in the direction you were initially aiming.

The egg stall is a technique where you let go of the ledge, double jump, then cancel to an up-B, re-grabbing the ledge.

The input is 1) C-stick down/away to let go off the ledge, double jump, WAIT, then up-B. Additionally, you can move the control stick to change the trajectory of the egg throw and control how far it can go by how long you hold B.

The "WAIT" part of the input is the most important part of this tech, because it means certain death if you mess it up. If you immediately cancel Yoshi's double jump, he won't even go up, which means that you can SD if you use that up-B too early. That is why you need to wait just a little. The same could be said if you wait too long, though. If you up-B above the ledge, you're very susceptible to a punish due to the ending lag of the throw, and you won't even have a double jump, so that's a stock right there.

You wanna know how long it took me to get the timing right with no margin of error? Months. I legitimately spent hours a day just to get the timing right.

Why spend all this time on a ledge tech that will most likely kill you? Simple: I main Yoshi. I take immense passion into pushing this character to the very limit, and in the tournaments that I've been in so far, everyone loves seeing me play. I don't even need to actually win, they just like seeing all the Yoshi tech. I'm not here to make a testament over how good I am at this game, but I'm a little disappointed in how many few Yoshi players actually put the time into learning his tech. You can't just F-air and side-B and expect to win. If you main any character in this game, that alone is a commitment to use every single tool that character has to sway the match in your favor. Players that limit themselves will always be at a disadvantage on the competitive scene.

What makes the egg stall a necessity in Yoshi's ledge game is that once you nail the proper execution, you can throw eggs at a fast rate without the lag that comes after it, but the real kicker is this: It's difficult to approach. I have actually kept it up for 2 minutes once 'cuz my opponent couldn't even get near me. Plus, the control you have over your trajectory is staggering. In small stages like Yoshi's Story, BF, or Green Hill Zone, there's is literally no spot the egg can't reach. Even the splash has hitboxes. The best use I have for this technique is that once an egg hits, the opponent could be in enough hitstun where I can side-B onto the stage, hit them, then start a combo or kill them with an U-air or N-air. It's perfect for a set-up.

But what if they actually get through? A simple wavedash out of shield is all they need to go below your eggs. Well, you still have options. The first one is to simply stop. Even with perfect timing, the invincibility from re-grabbing the ledge doesn't protect through the whole thing (Mewtwo's WOOP-ing, on the other hand...). To be a little precise, the invincibility runs out right before you throw the egg, so you are vulnerable to a gimp. That's why you should stop if they get close.

What should you do after you stop? Simple. Considering the situation that your opponent is putting you in when he's so awfully close to you. The choice you make is up to you, but one that I do recommend is landing back on the stage with neutral B. Not many see it coming, and your opponent was inclined to get close to you to get that gimp, making it a great punish. What you do after is very open-ended. B-air the egg, throw eggs to anticipate them breaking out, etc.

Oh, and concerning projectiles? Just stop. Some of them (Mario's fireballs/pills) can gimp you. It's really stupid how easily they can kill you.

Now that I've covered the fundamentals of the egg stall, here's some tips to improve your overall Yoshi ledge game.

1) Egg stalling works best on stages with curved edges. It makes it harder for your opponent to get below the arcs of trajectory. The best stage for this has to be Yoshi's Island, followed by Yoshi's Story and Lylat Cruise

2) The worst stages for egg stalling are ones with jagged/pointy edges. There's a larger margin of error where your eggs only hit the ledge and don't go above it like they're supposed to. Examples are Smashville and Battlefield.

3) Yoshi doesn't need to wavedash to an edge to edgehog. He has 2 options that are much better. The first is up-B. Since Yoshi can grab the ledge even with his back turned while using it, you can actually dash to the edge, up-B right before you fall off and grab the ledge as you throw the egg wherever you intended. The second is Yoshi's double jump. Similar to the first option, you dash off the stage, but instead of using up-B, you fast fall, then quickly double jump towards the edge, and you'll grab it. This one's a bit harder to do correctly because whether or not you do grab the ledge depends on the position to use the double jump. From my experience, I can roughly say that it works if you're around 45-70 degrees from the edge.

4) Since Yoshi can throw his eggs behind him, the egg stall works as a great edgeguarding tool. Anticipate the path of your opponent's recovery, and the eggs can either gimp them or set up for aerials. One option that I do recommend is rising N-air (hold the jump button while pressing A). If the opponent is in hitstun from the egg, it's pretty safe.

5) You can reset your invincibility by using down-B instead of up-B in case you need it for a specific time. Edgeguarding with an invincible N-air is just too good.

6) D-tilt is a joke on spacies. D-smash is better when they're at a percentage where it has more knockback than D-tilt.

Thank you all for reading this and good luck!

Last edited:

pugwishbone17

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pugwishbone
I should add that if you want to practice edge-cancelled eggs then go to Onett and grab the edge on the left-most house. You can also go to Temple on the ledge in the very middle of the stage if you want to practice facing the other direction Obviously the benefit of practicing on these stages is that you can quickly reset if you miss one, rather than going through the SD and respawn.

Last edited:

Kudrah

Smash Cadet
Is this the fastest way to refresh Yoshi's ledge invincibility?
up-B and down-B are the only 2 fast ways to refresh invincibility, but I'm not sure which one's faster. I don't know their exact frame data, but either one should do what you're intending it for.

Kudrah

Smash Cadet
I should add that if you want to practice edge-cancelled eggs then go to Onett and grab the edge on the left-most house. You can also go to Temple on the ledge in the very middle of the stage if you want to practice facing the other direction Obviously the benefit of practicing on these stages is that you can quickly reset if you miss one, rather than going through the SD and respawn.
I never practiced on those stages, tbh. It never crossed my mind, but the constant SDs kept burning this message into my brain that I absolutely had to get this right. Not gonna lie, in my earliest tourneys, I actually did SD by mistake.

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
up-B and down-B are the only 2 fast ways to refresh invincibility, but I'm not sure which one's faster. I don't know their exact frame data, but either one should do what you're intending it for.
Down B is faster if you do it quickly

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
Down B also has a pretty nice sweet spot to help avoid being hit during the stall.

Kudrah

Smash Cadet
Down B also has a pretty nice sweet spot to help avoid being hit during the stall.
I can't believe I forgot about that. Yeah, the sweetspot is low enough that your hurtbox doesn't go above the ledge. The opponent would need something like Marth's D-tilt to hit you.

Scatz

Smash Champion
DownB > Egg stall cause you can instantly cancel the starting animation by holding the analog stick down for 1 frame and placing it back to neutral the next frame. *brawl tactics*

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Stalling in general is unnecessary in my opinion. getting back to neutral faster is safer than playing around on the ledge.

didds

Smash Lord
It is extremely useful for returning to neutral from the ledge though. Some characters can lay a lot of safe pressure on yoshi at the ledge.

Excessively stalling is unnecessary and I agree that returning to neutral should be a top priority.

We'll I guess it's technically not stalling if it has purpose

Last edited:

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
It is extremely useful for returning to neutral from the ledge though. Some characters can lay a lot of safe pressure on yoshi at the ledge.

Excessively stalling is unnecessary and I agree that returning to neutral should be a top priority.

We'll I guess it's technically not stalling if it has purpose
I mean, everyone has their own playstyle. personally, I'd rather just rising aerial back to stage and reset neutral. If the opponent knows how eggstall works, they can just throw out a constant hitbox to eat the egg and boom, Yoshi's tapped without a jump and dead. So as for as this Post goes, I disagree that every Yoshi needs to learn how to eggstall. I don't do it at all and look where I'm at. It's a matter of opinion and preference.

didds

Smash Lord
I mean, everyone has their own playstyle. personally, I'd rather just rising aerial back to stage and reset neutral. If the opponent knows how eggstall works, they can just throw out a constant hitbox to eat the egg and boom, Yoshi's tapped without a jump and dead. So as for as this Post goes, I disagree that every Yoshi needs to learn how to eggstall. I don't do it at all and look where I'm at. It's a matter of opinion and preference.
And if they know that they can trade with rising nair then they throw out a constant hitbox(?) then yoshi is just as dead. It's just another option to have that can give yoshi a nice psychological advantage. It's never a bad idea to add to your list of options, even if you only have to use it once. There are lots of things in the game that aren't "necessary" but give you an edge in certain mu's still.

One egg from ledge can lead to a pop up and followed up with an egg roll from ledge to whatever combo you feel like. That's one big and unexpected punish on your opponent due to them not realizing how potent the toss can be.

It's definitely preference, my preference is to just have as many options as possible in all situations, especially a disadvantageous one like being on ledge at possibly high percent where armor has lost its potency.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
And if they know that they can trade with rising nair then they throw out a constant hitbox(?) then yoshi is just as dead. It's just another option to have that can give yoshi a nice psychological advantage. It's never a bad idea to add to your list of options, even if you only have to use it once. There are lots of things in the game that aren't "necessary" but give you an edge in certain mu's still.

One egg from ledge can lead to a pop up and followed up with an egg roll from ledge to whatever combo you feel like. That's one big and unexpected punish on your opponent due to them not realizing how potent the toss can be.

It's definitely preference, my preference is to just have as many options as possible in all situations, especially a disadvantageous one like being on ledge at possibly high percent where armor has lost its potency.
Maybe I'm just too lazy to learn it lol

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Also, if they want to trade with a Rising Fair, they have limited options to do so. 90% of the time the trade will send them into the stage and you up horizontal (more vertical if you DI it correctly). Then you eggroll back to stage while they tech or roll away because of the fair hit. That's why I use it

didds

Smash Lord
Also, if they want to trade with a Rising Fair, they have limited options to do so. 90% of the time the trade will send them into the stage and you up horizontal (more vertical if you DI it correctly). Then you eggroll back to stage while they tech or roll away because of the fair hit. That's why I use it
I never use rising fair, I woulda thought nair. I'll have to mix that into my repertoire of shenanigans. Like I said, I do love the added mixup.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
I guess every Yoshi in Melee is doing it wrong for using ECE then.
I don't know jack **** about melee Yoshi, don't take my responses the wrong way. PM Yoshi is my study.
Melee Yoshi has different strengths and weaknesses, so Eggthrow camping is probably essential there (honestly don't know don't care).

pugwishbone17

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pugwishbone
I don't know jack **** about melee Yoshi, don't take my responses the wrong way. PM Yoshi is my study.
Melee Yoshi has different strengths and weaknesses, so Eggthrow camping is probably essential there (honestly don't know don't care).
It's not ENTIRELY essential, but they're both just as useful in each game. It's definitely worth picking up in PM

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
in pm yoshi is more vulnerable while doing it, so you dont really want to do it too much

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
The thing is you don't want to stall with it. Use it to carve a safe path back to the stage.

It serves more of a purpose than stalling as people have said before. It's the fastest way to throw eggs in the game, so it's worth learning to throw eggs at people slowly recovering from far away off stage.

Also, when you do it, pay attention to what the opponent does in response. If the opponent looks like hes going to challenge and try to gimp you, jump and armor through it and punish it with a dair or fair.

QUBiX

Smash Cadet
I just started to pick up Yoshi with the release of PM 3.5. I've been wanting to for a while, but barely decided to put in the work. Which I quickly found out Yoshi needs A LOT of work to be good with lol. ECE is something on my list of first things to learn. After watching a lot of aMSa gameplay I can see how this tech can be really viable for recovery, potential damage, and mind games. Luckily some of my main's tech can carry over (Ness).

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
I just started to pick up Yoshi with the release of PM 3.5. I've been wanting to for a while, but barely decided to put in the work. Which I quickly found out Yoshi needs A LOT of work to be good with lol. ECE is something on my list of first things to learn. After watching a lot of aMSa gameplay I can see how this tech can be really viable for recovery, potential damage, and mind games. Luckily some of my main's tech can carry over (Ness).
Honestly, put it off to one of the later things to grind out in terms of techskill. It's really not that important, especially compared to melee where yoshi had far fewer options. Before ECE you should practice turn around DJC, Low DJC (which you might already be proficient at as a ness), pivot grabs out of initial dash, double jump land out of shield, Ledgedashing, general platform movement with wavelands, and rising Uair combos.

QUBiX

Smash Cadet
Honestly, put it off to one of the later things to grind out in terms of techskill. It's really not that important, especially compared to melee where yoshi had far fewer options. Before ECE you should practice turn around DJC, Low DJC (which you might already be proficient at as a ness), pivot grabs out of initial dash, double jump land out of shield, Ledgedashing, general platform movement with wavelands, and rising Uair combos.
I can pretty much do all of that even with my two days of playing with him. Only thing on that list is figuring out more air combos. Which will come with a couple more days of practice. I'm surprised a lot of my Ness tech can actually be carried over. I'm even messing with DJCWD to see if I can squeeze out a bit more distance. Atm I have noticed a small difference, but I gotta keep experimenting with it and his other movement options. I just want to practice ECE early on because It seems to help me with my egg throwing/timings. Right now I can throw them better backwards than forwards haha. It's really similar to controlling a PK flash when I do it backwards.

TamashiiEater

Smash Rookie
Yo, I see lot people bashing the eggstall. Why, with 3.5 out the eggstall is viable for 4 tosses. The opening ur opponent gets is minute, and when u do it 4 times in quick sucession it is rediculous. I've been working on mine for about a month and I had it down packed till the update. With the new improvements to yoshi I will hopefully be able to create a video to show how sick it can be when u have the timing and distance perfect. Shout outs to epic yoshi for making yoshi unecessarily harder to play xD

Kudrah

Smash Cadet
Okay, it's been a while since I came back to this thread, and all I'm hearing is dudes neglecting the use of this tech. It IS technically a stall, but you can't do it much in 3.5 now, but the main function for this is to make returning to neutral easier, or better, go straight into a punish.

But I won't deny that it's extremely risky. One screw-up takes a stock, but when it comes to exploring the tools this character has, I'd rather leave no stone unturned. It's still an nuisance on the receiving end, and it brutally punishes those who don't know the MU well.

Regarding that risk, It's actually possible to have 100% invincibility on this, but it requires near frame-perfect execution. Consistently, I'm only vulnerable for 1-3 frames before I regrab the ledge, but I grinded this technique a little much XD. It's not easy, but I can see it's worth. It all comes down to using it at the right situations. Tools vary due to many possible scenarios. You wouldn't use a wrench where you'd need a hammer.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Even without invcibility after the 5th stall this option is insanely valuable. It covers tons of edge guarding options and get you tons of free damage. Yoshi is a crazy hard character to play, and if you're too lazy to learn to grind out and utilize this technique this character is not for you.
Also, OP, you are totally wrong. Yoshi's d-tilt is godlike vs spaces. It knocks down at zero and can lead in to Yoshi's great tech chasing game. Dsmash is better for killing, though, of course.

Kudrah

Smash Cadet
Even without invcibility after the 5th stall this option is insanely valuable. It covers tons of edge guarding options and get you tons of free damage. Yoshi is a crazy hard character to play, and if you're too lazy to learn to grind out and utilize this technique this character is not for you.
Also, OP, you are totally wrong. Yoshi's d-tilt is godlike vs spaces. It knocks down at zero and can lead in to Yoshi's great tech chasing game. Dsmash is better for killing, though, of course.
Woah, dude you got the wrong idea. D-tilt truly is AMAZING against spacies. When I said it was a joke, I meant that it's so stupidly good at gimping them. It's almost unfair, to be honest.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Woah, dude you got the wrong idea. D-tilt truly is AMAZING against spacies. When I said it was a joke, I meant that it's so stupidly good at gimping them. It's almost unfair, to be honest.
Ooooh. Hahah. And nah, spacies should lose off stage, that's totally fair~

Kudrah

Smash Cadet
Ooooh. Hahah. And nah, spacies should lose off stage, that's totally fair~
Yeah, you're right. It's fair, but this is by far the easiest way I gimped spacies. I never played Sheik or Marth in Melee, so I didn't have that luxury before.

Schwamus

Smash Cadet
Hey guys! From a new Yoshi player in Melee and PM, I have a question regarding ECEs:

Could an alternative input be: analog stick down + analog stick up (with tap jump on) + WAIT + b

It seems like this would be much easier now that the right hand wouldn't have to use x or jump from c stick to b. Just wondering what some more experienced yoshis think.

didds

Smash Lord
Hey guys! From a new Yoshi player in Melee and PM, I have a question regarding ECEs:

Could an alternative input be: analog stick down + analog stick up (with tap jump on) + WAIT + b

It seems like this would be much easier now that the right hand wouldn't have to use x or jump from c stick to b. Just wondering what some more experienced yoshis think.
that can definitely be used, I usually prefer pressing away from ledge with the c stick personally, then using the control stick up to jump, just to avoid accidentally fast falling and throwing off my timing.

as long as you let go of ledge, and dj to up b, it doesn't matter what actual buttons you press

Scatz

Smash Champion
Timing and difficulty varies depending on what you use to get off the ledge. I've tried different methods, and the C-stick down > Analog Up > (Wait) > B works for me consistently in PM. However, since Melee Yoshi's timing is a little more weird, I am starting to use another method (forgot the exact one, but I think it's Analog Down > Y > (Wait) > upB).

Experiment and find a rotation that feels comfortable to you and keeps you from SDing lol.

THE adversary

Smash Cadet
My most consistent method is Analog stick slowly down > X > Analog up + B

The only error I ever get with this is that I roll the stick too slowly and I end up jumping from the ledge

Last edited:

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
I play claw, and therefore I use X with the jump input and the analogue stick for movement. But anything that works for you is fine, control options are preference.

hamyojo

Smash Ace

The waiting time is long enough to where you can, with 100% comfort, just use X/Y.
To avoid FFing I always just do away > Y > wait > Egg.

Top Bottom