• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Every game has had them. Let's Talk Clones

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
:luigi64::younglinkmelee::pichumelee::wolf::4falco::4drmario::4ganondorf::4lucina::4feroy::4tlink::4lucas::4darkpit:

Let's talk clones.

The purpose of this topic is to discuss the possibility of new clone characters for Smash Switch and who they could be. They seem unavoidable at this point and there is a lot of debate on who should and shouldn't be a clone. Most fans would be upset if they're favourites just got in as clones rather than as unique newcomers.

And then you have characters who could only get in as a clone character. Many clones most would agree does not have what it takes to get in otherwise.

But even if a character a could be unique, they doesn't mean they won't end up a clone:4ganondorf:. Even if they could easily be a clone, doesn't mean they will:4bowserjr:

What do you think? Who will be our next clone? How many will see and how controversial will they be?

Here's a list of
Potential Clones

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
Celica's a potential good Robin semi-clone. Some ARMS characters can be cloned pretty easily. Daisy could be a good Peach semi-clone if they wanted to add her in like that. Toon Zelda too maybe?

Oddball

Smash Lord
Waluigi needs to be a cloneof some character he has nothing in common with at all. Maybe Zelda.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Although I'm not particularly a fan of clones, it'd be nice if Pokémon got another clone in the next Smash game. With over 800 different Pokémon to choose from, I'd understand why Sakurai might be inclined to make a clone character out of one of the more popular Pokémon. After all, if the Pokémon in question isn't from Gen 1 or hasn't recently made its debut, there's not much hope for it going forward into future Smash games.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If we get an ARMS character, I was thinking a second one as a clone
ARMS is kinda iffy. If any new franchise were to get a clone character, it would probably be Splatoon due to it's insane popularity in Japan. Then again, who could they use as a clone character for Splatoon? At least ARMS has a little variety to choose from.

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Alm might be a Roy clone if there's another smash game and he's in it. That, or Chrom as a clone of Marth and replacing Lucina.

Luminario

Smash Lord
ARMS is kinda iffy. If any new franchise were to get a clone character, it would probably be Splatoon due to it's insane popularity in Japan. Then again, who could they use as a clone character for Splatoon? At least ARMS has a little variety to choose from.
Well they could split up the Inklings into girl and boy slots with slight differences in playstyle, they could bring in Callie or Marie who focus more on rollers or chargers respectively, or they could even bring in Octolings who could pack a bit more punch at the cost of speed or versatility.
Alm might be a Roy clone if there's another smash game and he's in it. That, or Chrom as a clone of Marth and replacing Lucina.
I can't see Chrom replacing Lucina, she's more popular than him by a large margin.
If anything Lucina's more likely to replace Roy as a Marth semi-clone.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I can't see Chrom replacing Lucina, she's more popular than him by a large margin.
If anything Lucina's more likely to replace Roy as a Marth semi-clone.
I can't see Lucina being replaced by anyone. Similarly, I can't see Lucina replacing a pre-existing character. Roy is already a decent semi-clone of Marth. Why replace him with Lucina when you're just going to make Lucina another Marth semi-clone anyways? If we really must cut one FE character, we might as well cut Lucina for being the least unique and keep the rest. Popularity within one's respective franchise isn't a good enough reason for me to believe that one character should bump out a more unique character.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Potentially, a lot of Hyrule Warriors characters could be semi-Link clones. The bombs, bow, boomerang & hookshot are all items that could be used by anyone in that game. I could see something like Warrior Ganonondorf, who trades out the shield for a 2nd sword but otherwise has similar attacks.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Imagine the Backlash if Ganondorf got in again as a clone yikes.

Actually, I can definitely see Impa being a clone of Sheik, since they're both Sheikah, and Sheik was actually taught the ways of the clan by Impa.

Sorry for double post. But I wanted to say that I've updated OP and wanted to see if anyone thinks I should include any other characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I was thinking Alph could make for a nice clone character that uses rock pikmin. Or better yet, perhaps a new captain from the inevitable Pikmin 4 could be an Olimar clone and include whatever other new pikmin are introduced in that game.

Sprite

Smash Cadet
Although I'm not particularly a fan of clones, it'd be nice if Pokémon got another clone in the next Smash game. With over 800 different Pokémon to choose from, I'd understand why Sakurai might be inclined to make a clone character out of one of the more popular Pokémon. After all, if the Pokémon in question isn't from Gen 1 or hasn't recently made its debut, there's not much hope for it going forward into future Smash games.
Pichu should come back

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sorry for double post. But I wanted to say that I've updated OP and wanted to see if anyone thinks I should include any other characters.
Already merged the post. No worries. Bumps themselves if you have something new to say, as long as the topic hasn't had a post in ages, can potentially be okay.

Depends the context.

D

Deleted member

I'd be all for Alph being a clone in the next game. I remember being disappointed that he was an alt for Olimiar in Smash 4 and hopefully they rectify that next game.

Dixie Kong, on the other hand? Absolutely not. The way she is built makes little sense to make her a clone of Diddy. There's no way she gets in without mostly unique A moves.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I wonder what the possibility of Funky getting the Lucina treatment?

I'm pretty sure he was only added to Mario Kart Wii due to his similar model to Donkey Kong.

Although the new Tropical Freeze also shows he could be unique, but perhaps he faces too much competition to get in as unique character.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Funky Kong's moveset without being a clone would be defined on tacky props like his surfboard and guns from DK64. Being a generic brute strength clone of DK would be a bit awkward, but it would be fine if he just had one or two unique specials. Preferably he could be a reverse Wolf and have entirely unique Specials while having the rest of his moveset copied from DK.

Hopefully DK gets more than just a clone so they don't get too high effort with him, but DK has been so neglected nobody would really bat an eye at it getting two characters. Funky fits as a clone a lot better than Dixie.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Funky Kong's moveset without being a clone would be defined on tacky props like his surfboard and guns from DK64. Being a generic brute strength clone of DK would be a bit awkward, but it would be fine if he just had one or two unique specials. Preferably he could be a reverse Wolf and have entirely unique Specials while having the rest of his moveset copied from DK.

Hopefully DK gets more than just a clone so they don't get too high effort with him, but DK has been so neglected nobody would really bat an eye at it getting two characters. Funky fits as a clone a lot better than Dixie.
Neither of 'em really need to be a clone, but I suppose Funky could borrow a few moves from DK without feeling like a complete clone character. Hopefully, they'll at least allow him to use his surfboard for his tilts and aerials.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
The ARMS characters make sense as semi-clones. I'm not sure if they'd do it that way though or just Bowser Jr/Koopaling is though, that would probably work a lot better.

The only character on this list that I'd be legitimately angry about being a clone is Dixie Kong though. It would take a substantial amount of laziness to make her a clone instead of an original moveset and real wasted potential.

Sprite

Smash Cadet
Actually, Wolf is debatably not even a semi-clone. Excluding his specials (none of which are carbon copies) and Final Smash, all of his attacks are completely unique from Fox and Falco. Even his weight and mobility are different from his counterparts.
Just like lucas

D

Deleted member

Dixie Kong, on the other hand? Absolutely not. The way she is built makes little sense to make her a clone of Diddy. There's no way she gets in without mostly unique A moves.
Not that I'm saying she should be a clone, but Diddy's and Dixie's builds are pretty much the exact same with literally the only difference being Diddy has a tail and Dixie has hair.

Most of Diddy's A moves would actually work well with Dixie, considering he only literally has two attacks that use his tail.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
At the very least, I could see Dark Samus as a semi-clone of :4samus:. She utilizes some of the weapons her counterpart uses, like missiles, Charge Beams and the like, though her Charge Beam is a phazon-powered instant beam rather than a slow moving Power Beam. She would also have her unique moves, like the Phazon Barrier (which can damage nearby targets and deflect projectiles), Phazon Boost Ball, and Phazon Charge (cloaks herself in phazon energy and launches herself in whichever direction she chooses).

Some of :4samus:'s normals could potentially be translated into Dark Samus' moveset (like Smashes)and would have increased potency, like more power/larger hitboxes but at the cost of more startup and/or endlag.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
At the very least, I could see Dark Samus as a semi-clone of :4samus:. She utilizes some of the weapons her counterpart uses, like missiles, Charge Beams and the like, though her Charge Beam is a phazon-powered instant beam rather than a slow moving Power Beam. She would also have her unique moves, like the Phazon Barrier (which can damage nearby targets and deflect projectiles), Phazon Boost Ball, and Phazon Charge (cloaks herself in phazon energy and launches herself in whichever direction she chooses).

Some of :4samus:'s normals could potentially be translated into Dark Samus' moveset (like Smashes)and would have increased potency, like more power/larger hitboxes but at the cost of more startup and/or endlag.
I could see Dark Samus as possible.

Something I wanted to ask to see what others thought, what about a yarn character as a clone character? Like Kirby or Yoshi? I think Yarn Yoshi could be interesting to have on the roster, a floatier Yoshi.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Personally, I've always thought Young Cricket from Wario Ware would make a good Lucario clone. Unlike Lucario, whom gets stronger as his damage increases, Young Cricket's power would be constant. It would be a nice option for those whom wouldn't want to deal with the aura mechanic.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Since Impa is in the first post and is often speculated as a Sheik-clone, I'll post a clone Impa moveset here.

Neutral B: Kunai Throw. Instead of multiple Needles, this is a singular projectile. It has roughly the same range as the Needles have and a sweetspot at the sharp edge of the Kunai. It's a damaging projectile dealing around 12% per hit, but stales quickly and isn't good for finishing enemies off.

Side B: Remote Bomb. Like the animation of Sheik, but throws a Remote Bomb instead. More cool down than the Burst Grenade but it's a wider blast and deals more damage. When sweetspotted, it can potentially finish enemies around 150%.

Up B: Vanish. More or less like Sheik's.

Down B: Sheikah Strike. An attack much like Bouncing Fish, but it can be held by holding B, and doing so increases the power and speed of the attack, making it a solid recovery move as well.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
One clone character I could see them doing just if they had the time would be Ninten. I feel taking bits and pieces of Ness and Lucas would make his development not a huge hassle for the dev team overall. Throw in a couple of toys to make him feel like his own character and I feel that you could have a relatively low effort clone. Honestly not that likely tho, the only scenario I see in which a Mother character is likely is a hyped up Mother 3 Remaster for the switch in which case maybe we get masked man but getting Ninten would be aight.

Alph should just get his own spot tbh. Just give him Rock Pikmin instead of Purples and Whites, and just maybe make him a bit heavier and slower than Olimar. Honestly my main motivation for wanting Alph is that the Olimar skins in 4 are bad and I want better skins.

Personally I could see Dixie and Funky stealing attributes from the other Kongs to make development less of a challenge. Still Funky Kong is not the most likely imo, but hey if he becomes a series staple I wont mind. Funky's insane noises in Mario Kart Wii gave me life.

Also just gonna throw this out but a second sonic character sans Eggman is pretty much good semi clone territory. Tails Knuckles and Shadow, as unlikely as they are, could easily take attributes from Sonics moveset, have different specials to a degree, and still feel like their canon selves. Personally I would say Tails would be the most likely to get this treatment since he is overall the most important out of the three to the Sonic franchise. Have him have some of Sonics Normals (Im thinking Nair, Fair, Dair. Fsmash, Brawl era Dsmash, Usmash), and give him a spin dash and maybe a homing attack. Boom. You have a relatively unique character that is a semi clone. Also Eggman could be a semi clone of Bowser Jr but he has enough stuff that he can do visually i would doubt it personally.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Here's an idea. For third Party characters they no longer have the rights to use in sequels, why not keep the basic move set and use Nintendo clones as their stand-ins.

If Ryu can't come back, we could use Karate Joe or the Urban Champion.
Snake could be replaced by Andy or Sami.
I'm sure there's SOMEBODY from Fire Emblem who could take Cloud's place (I'm not too familiar with the series).

I can actually imagine a trailer for Sami starting with the heroes fighting and the box in the background, the camera slowly pulls in on the box, and she flips it over announcing "What? Were you expecting somebody else?"

Admittedly, copying Bayonetta and Pac-man might be a bit hard.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Here's an idea. For third Party characters they no longer have the rights to use in sequels, why not keep the basic move set and use Nintendo clones as their stand-ins.

I'm sure there's SOMEBODY from Fire Emblem who could take Cloud's place (I'm not too familiar with the series).

I can actually imagine a trailer for Sami starting with the heroes fighting and the box in the background, the camera slowly pulls in on the box, and she flips it over announcing "What? Were you expecting somebody else?"

Cloud: Takamaru. (Just change neutral B to something like Greninja's s uncharged B

Pacman: Nester. Instead of Pacman related moves, give him Nintendo related references moves: Instead of Hydrant, throw a Bowling Ball, instead of throwing Fruit throw, make him throw Nintendo hardware. (Controller, Zapper, Power glove, Nes advantsge, ROB, etc) Instead of trampoline, he jumps off a Nintendo Power mat.

Bayo: I would honestly not miss this moveset.. at all. But maybe something like Dark Samus could pull off a Bayonetta?

Extra:

Wouldn't mind Ninten as the faster of the EB characters.

Either King Hippo or Doc Louis as the heavyweight Mac clone.

I would LOVE to see Medusa as an alternate Palutena, who could spawn her underworld army Minions instead of Palu's other specials.
V
Monoeye (Neutral B) Nimble flying minion that will randomly shoot.
Speknose (Side B) Slow unit that shoots projectile at nearest opponent.
Shemun (Down B) Ground unir that damages on bite.
Teleport (Up+B) same as Palutena's.

Or replace them with KI:U monsters that do appear un Smash Run, to lessen the effort.
Having her as a Summoner would be awesome and unique. Especially if it's a clone in it's normal attacks.

Staarih

Smash Master
Being mostly last minute additions, no clone characters have really initially been designed as clones, bar maybe Luigi and... Lucas? But yeah, I think it’d be a bit worrying if a character would be designed as a clone right from the very start. Last minute situations are more understandable. They should definitely keep going moveset first, character second - a combination of these being ideal (unique moveset for unique character).

Using existing material is another thing of course, parts of Diddy to create Dixie or Sheik to create Impa are good ideas for example, as long as it’s not just copy paste. Though I guess that’s what semi-clones essentially are. Oh well.

Alph is someone I want to become his own character, switch some of the Pikmin around etc. Olimar could refer back to some of his Brawl moves while Alph could retain some from Smash4 (mainly up + b is the different one here). Anyway, patterns suggests we’ll be seeing clones in the next game as well so who knows who’ll be last minute then haha!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Since Impa is in the first post and is often speculated as a Sheik-clone, I'll post a clone Impa moveset here.

Neutral B: Kunai Throw. Instead of multiple Needles, this is a singular projectile. It has roughly the same range as the Needles have and a sweetspot at the sharp edge of the Kunai. It's a damaging projectile dealing around 12% per hit, but stales quickly and isn't good for finishing enemies off.

Side B: Remote Bomb. Like the animation of Sheik, but throws a Remote Bomb instead. More cool down than the Burst Grenade but it's a wider blast and deals more damage. When sweetspotted, it can potentially finish enemies around 150%.

Up B: Vanish. More or less like Sheik's.

Down B: Sheikah Strike. An attack much like Bouncing Fish, but it can be held by holding B, and doing so increases the power and speed of the attack, making it a solid recovery move as well.
Looks cool... but I really would like Impa to have a moveset based on canonical Sheikah martial arts. Sakurai made up Sheik's moves but Sakurai doesn't need to make up Impa's moveset. Thanks to Breath of the Wild, we have the Yiga Clan and Maz Koshia demonstrating to us what Sheikah martial arts looks like.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton

I thought of something similar to this, except for the Miis.

I think I was thinking

Swordfighter Takamaru
Gunner Dark Samus
And for Brawler, Waluigi was the best I could come up with

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Demote Lucina and Doc to alt costumes and bring back Mario to his Melee glory of feeling all-around just right.

No FLUDD, No wonky physics and slow attack speed, The Tornado making it’s grand return.. Just the way people like me liked it.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
9S as a semi Shulk clone. His normal attacks could be similar, but with subtle differences. The only major difference would be his neutral special, which would have his Pod fire at the enemy.

Top Bottom