• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Every Character Chain Grab Guide

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
This thread does not take either the grab-tilt infinite, nor edge chaining with nana into account. It only examines which characters can always be chain grabbed, assuming both a capable ice climbers, as well as a capable foe (ie, one that can DI).

Dr. Mario - cannot be chain thrown (can jump out)
Mario - cannot be chain thrown (can jump out)
Luigi - cannot be chain thrown (can jump out)
Bowser - nana sh dair chain throw
Peach - cannot be chain thrown (can jump out)
Yoshi - nana dsmash chain throw
DK - cannot be chain thrown (can jump out)
C. Falcon - nana sh dair chain throw
Ganondorf - cannot be chain thrown (di down, c-stick di away)
Falco - cannot be chain thrown (di down and away, c-stick di away)
Fox - cannot be chain thrown (di down and away, c-stick di away)
Ness - nana sh dair chain throw
Ice Climbers - yes if single, no if both
Kirby - nana sh dair chain throw
Samus - cannot be chain thrown (can jump out)
Zelda - nana sh dair chain throw
Sheik - nana sh dair chain throw; nana dsmash chain throw
Link - nana sh dair chain throw
Young Link - nana sh dair chain throw
Pichu - nana sh dair chain throw
Pikachu - nana sh dair chain throw
Jigglypuff - cannot be chain thrown (can jump out)
Mewtwo - nana sh dair chain throw
Mr. Game & Watch - nana sh dair chain throw
Marth - cannot be chain thrown (di up)
Roy - nana sh dair chain throw

italics indicate that I'm not certain about that character

Guaranteed Chain Grab (enemy using effective DI):

Bowser, Yoshi, C. Falcon, Ness, Ice Climber, Kirby, Zelda, Sheik, Link, Young Link, Pichu, Pikachu, Mewtwo, Mr. Game & Watch, Roy

Not guaranteed Chain Grab: (ice climbers not making mistakes):

Dr. Mario, Mario, Luigi, Peach, DK, Ganondorf, Falco, Fox, Ice Climbers, Samus, Jigglypuff, Marth
To escape the ice climbers chain grab, for characters that can, one typically should hold the c-stick away to Auto Smash DI the dair, and also hold the control stick away, down, or down and away, depending on the character. Peach and marth are the exceptions: peach should DI behind ice climbers, Marth should DI up. If you're one of the harder ones (like fox/falco), typically hold L/R to roll as soon as you hit the ground to get away.

It's been awhile since I've investigated some of these characters, like ness, zelda, pikachu, etc. - so corrections are welcome. I just don't want to see anyone post that you can CG fox or falco, because you cannot with the nana sh dair one, so post something else for me to investigate. I know some players are aware that the space animals cannot be CG'd, but some people refuse to accept this, which was one of my main motivations in making this thread.

If you do have a correction, don't just post "such and such is wrong, it should be this" - especially if you are a noob. I expect only credible ice climber players, with explanations of their correction (eg, "this is the chain grab that works, this is why, and these DI's do not work"). We'll take it from there.

Blind

Honorbound
Useful list. I can't fully ascertain it's accuracy myself, but all players capable of contributing should do so. Le sticky?

dj asakura

Smash Ace
i'm not a "credible" ice climber player but i have a question. i was under the impression that both fox and falco could be chain grabbed. i guess they cant?

also, shiek doesnt seem to be in yuor list and i believe she can be chain grabbed

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
i'm not a "credible" ice climber player but i have a question. i was under the impression that both fox and falco could be chain grabbed. i guess they cant?
Most ice climbers can get away CG'ing them with dthrow to nana's sh dair to re-grab, throwing in a few blizzards, but a good fox/falco will DI out of it. All they need to do is hold C-stick away and control stick down and away, it's not too complicated -- but it's not really that well known. It's really easy to test, however.

So unless there's some secret ice climber chain throw on the space animals that I'm not aware of, no, they can't be consistently chain thrown. A good icy can try to mindgame a few DI's and re-grab them based off that, but it's nothing guaranteed.

where's sheik?
Whoops, added her too -- if I recall correctly, she can be both dair and dsmash chained. Sucks for her ^.^

dj asakura

Smash Ace
very cool then. didnt really know that about the space animals since i tend to see them get CG'ed. and good to know we can **** shiek with CG's

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
There are mulitple factors that you aren't taking into account. The two main things are: 1. You're not considering the fact that the IC can read the DI. If a char DI's away, all you have to do is dash a bit farther, then grab again. That's still a chaingrab. 2. You're list only includes the dair/dsmash chains, not taking into account just downthrowing (few char's, heavy's at high %), and uthrow for space animals. Although I do like the list, it's definitely not comprehensive enough to be considered any kind of authority on the subject...

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
There are mulitple factors that you aren't taking into account. The two main things are: 1. You're not considering the fact that the IC can read the DI. If a char DI's away, all you have to do is dash a bit farther, then grab again. That's still a chaingrab. 2. You're list only includes the dair/dsmash chains, not taking into account just downthrowing (few char's, heavy's at high %), and uthrow for space animals. Although I do like the list, it's definitely not comprehensive enough to be considered any kind of authority on the subject...
Your post would be a lot more helpful if you actually posted what you were talking about, instead of just referencing what you thought could be improved. IE, give examples.

The oversight I see here is not including solo-popo chain grabbing, but that wasn't included in my original scope. I agree that it would be good to include, so how about pointing some out (characters - percent chainable solo).

Lacking any input, I'll try to get some figures on these in the near future. Going back to your first two points: Yes, I am considering the fact that IC can 'read' the DI, I said that I'm not counting guesswork / mindgames here, and am only posting guaranteed chain grabs. And to your second point, for the characters I specified as able to escape, I did so because even 'dashing a bit farther' does not enable a chain grab.

Hozart

Smash Journeyman
This guide has proven helpful to me. Even though I chaingrab I don't like it. Infact because of that I'm bad at doing them. I know I know, they are a critical part of the Icy game (are they really? This kind says no in a sense), but I started playing Icys before I knew about the, ahem, cheap stuff. Oh, as for the space animals, I like to mindgame it, that is to say, if you think they will DI out, just f-smash them. Sometimes I'll just grab, then f-smash right away. At middle percents (40%-70%), this might very well kill them, depending upon your position on the stage.

That is all.

Black Luigi

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf can be grabbed. The dthrow->dsmash chain that works so well on Sheik works on him too.

As far as being a critical part of their game, it's all in how you play. I LOVE chaingrabbing, and it's one of the reasons I picked up the Icys. Chu is the best Icy player in the world, but he doesn't chain all that much. It's just play style.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
C-stick DI doesn't work on throws. Throws don't have hit-stun, so smash DI (which is what the C-stick inputs) doesn't work.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
i would assume that the c-stick di is for the dair not the throw...

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Like Nick said, for most of these characters you just need to predict DI. Captain Falcon, Fox, and Falco can be CGed to death with a down throw OR up-throw. CF can also be CGed to death with a Reverse DtDair CG. This is also POSSIBLE on lots of other characters but not easily done, as the opponent has many options of DI.

Samus can escape by DIing up or up and away and jumping, same with Puff, Zelda, Marth, Kirby, GaW, and most other medium to lightweight characters.

Ganon can be CGed to death with a D-throw, OR a DtDair CG. Pichu and Pikachu can (I believe) be CGed to death with a D-throw.

Peach can be CGed to death with an RDtDair CG.

Your list is very bad phanna. :laugh:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The Ice Climbers cannot, theoretically, dair chain grab anyone. Put it in 1/4 speed and smash DI when they try to chain grab you,a nd you can always get out, with every character, either by auto-roll, jumping, or jab.

However, it is unlikely that players will smash DI every time, or that the timing will be perfect.

D-throw chain grabs are all gravy though.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
/me reads the thread.

__

Ok apparently im stupid.

Phanna, when you say those characters cant be chaingrabbed, do you mean strictly d/u.throw to d/u.throw, or do you mean d/u.throw - (attack) - d/u.throw?

Cause If you mean the latter, im confusedededed.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
/me reads the thread.

__

Ok apparently im stupid.

Phanna, when you say those characters cant be chaingrabbed, do you mean strictly d/u.throw to d/u.throw, or do you mean d/u.throw - (attack) - d/u.throw?

Cause If you mean the latter, im confusedededed.
He means the later, but is mistaken in his impression that some characters cannot escape it.

All characters can escape the dair chain grab; the only thing that is unescapable is wobbles.

Top Bottom